PDA

View Full Version : toyota tundra

scott's turf
01-31-2002, 07:49 AM
Does anyone own a toyota tundra? If so how do you like it. I am a big time toyota fan especially after purchacing a 92 f250 diesel. I have put 4X the money into that thing in 1 year as I have with my 90 toyota pickup in 4 years. My little toyota just didn't like to pull a 16' trailer though.

HBFOXJr
01-31-2002, 09:57 AM
I have a 2000 Tundra 4x4 with 23k on it. Extended cab, power everything, V-8 and automatic. I'm in love...

Rides great, not for a truck but great ride period. Good tunes with cd and tape, the first fresh air vent on a truck I've owned that actually brings in air at the out side temp. Not pre heated when the heater is off.

You can put 5-600 lbs of fert or seed right inside the tail gate and never know it is there.

Engine oil cooler standard. Trans oil cooler standard.

Down side, avg 15 mpg local but towards 18 on a trip.

Upside, it'll kick just about any other trucks butt when you push the pedal. I had a guy with a Ford SRV pass me hard last summer cause I was only doing 50 on a country road. I let him get a lead before I showed him what the Toy could do. After we hit the stop sign he got on it hard again. The ford has more on the low end. He got a little on me but he couldn't shake me and then I started gaining. Had to quit to make my turn to the shore.

They rock!

stslawncare
01-31-2002, 02:21 PM
main disadvantage i see is the limitation to short bed with ext cab

scagman
02-01-2002, 02:15 PM
My father inlaw bought a Tundra top of the line v-8 i force (whatever that means). I drove this truck all the time. I even lawnserviced with it when my truck was in the shop. This is not comparable to a chevy or ford of its class. It can tow, but not much. It could barely pull the fifth wheel that we rented last yearthe back end was sinkin bad and not enough power. Isnt it the same engine they put in their lexus cars. They also had a 1997 chevy 1500 with a 350. This truck had balls. It was lowered and had flowmasters. It could smoke almost anyone on the road. Including the Tundra. They traded that tundra in for a avalanche

odin
02-01-2002, 05:56 PM
scagman

I would be very interested in your father in laws opinion on that avalanche
Motor trend really liked it a lot and gave it 2002 truck of the year.
Im retired gm and i would very much like to here his opinion
I myself at first thought they were the ugleist thing i ever saw when looking at it in pictures and just driveing by them while driveing. When i got a look up close at one on a dealer lot i didnt think they were as ugly as when just looking at the pictures.I think if they got rid of some of the plastic on it ,it would look much better.

scagman
02-02-2002, 08:08 PM
Its his wifes my mother in laws. She loves it its white with grey trim. Ive drove it in fact I drove everyone home last night from dinner they had one two many martinies. This truck is so smooth Ive never looked under the hood, but they said it has a 327 kinda odd has great power though. They took it in 2 weeks ago and put twenty inch crome rims on it looks sweet. It was her x mas present almost $4000 they said they were discounted too. They tow with it and say it does better than the tundra. They also got rid of the chevy 1500 and now he drives an Acura something?

corban
02-04-2002, 09:15 PM
I too am shopping for a new truck to replace my little Ford Ranger. I was very impressed with the reviews of the Tundra at first. I have heard many people talk about how much they drive like a car: smooth, quiet, and very luxurious inside. But take a look at the bed. It's about an inch more shallow than my 4cyl, 2wd Ranger. The bench seats also are very shallow. Your legs will sit more like they're in an Accord than a truck. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. Beautiful truck, but not very effecient for work.

scott's turf
02-05-2002, 03:52 PM
Maybe the newer f250's are different, but I am sick of doing repair after repair on this thing. Toyota's seem to last forever. I used my little 4cyl toy to even pull my 16' trailer for a year and it still didn't give me any problems. It seems like it gets harder and harder to find a good work truck. The ford I use now strickly for the biz has a huge benck seat and all vinyl whick is great. Do they still make trucks like that. I don't think I want one of my sweaty, dirty workers to hop into an all leather power everything truck. Anyone with me on this one?

scagman
02-05-2002, 05:34 PM
If you really want a Toyota, they make a two wheel drive, single cab, white Tundra work truck. I dont think they make it with the V8, but with the V6 which does not match up to chevy's 4.3 vortec or Fords 4.0. The V6 that they put in the Tundras are the same V6's they put in their Tacomas which I think is a 3.4 litre. Why not a Chevy????

HOMER
02-07-2002, 02:15 PM
For the money one would spend on the Toyota they could own a real truck.

Buy the Dodge with the Cummins.

odin
02-07-2002, 11:28 PM
Want a puller get a chevrolet duramax 300 horses of pulling power

JWW
02-17-2002, 02:45 PM
The top of the line 4X4 Tundra is a superior all around truck, but I bought a Silverado because the Tundra was mis-engineered with a terrible small back seat. The back seat in my '96 T100 was bigger. All of my Toyota trucks were screwed together better than any American truck, but size really does matter sometimes..........
Z71 Extended Cab K1500 5.3

roscioli
02-18-2002, 09:33 PM
I found the yote to be a good truck, but not enough. If they started making 3/4 ton and full ton trucks with full size beds, they would be great work trucks. My local dealer couldn't even find one without the extended crab, and the bed is a funny size, not the american standard 6 or 8 foot. If you were just using it to bomb around from job to job, I would do it. But pulling a big trailer, or hauling dirt or mulch, no thanks, not for me. Fords are cheap right now, 0% financing...

DC Lawn Care Inc.
02-25-2002, 05:57 PM
We just purchased 2 new 2002 Tundra's for the bussiness. One 4x4 quad cab and one 4x2 quad cab. The 4x4 is for plowing ext. They pull very well and they move with a full bed also. Not as big inside or out as the Ford or Chevy but better in the other areas that really count in this business in the same size truck.

Haven't been dissapointed yet.:D

bubble boy
02-25-2002, 09:16 PM
this really is an easy question to answer.

scotts turf currently has a small toyota. it treats him well, when treated right (which is no surprise for toyota.) but he admits with the 16 footer the toyota is lacking.

he also has a 250 diesel so he knows what real power and real size is.

lets compare a 3/4 ton diesel from the big three to the toyota using facts first.

were talking work truck, and so bed size goes to the big three. its not our fault toyota doesn't ofer reg. cab with 4x4.

engine size and power. please, the toyota has a 4.8 8 cyl. i believe???

now some opinion

plow ability-a lot of us do this. good luck with a tundra. even if it will perform the task, warrenty coverage is a dream.

i cant say for sure, and i will check and correct myself if wrong, but GVWR, payload, # for the toyota tundra are likely not up to big 3 class.

i'm not saying a business cant be run with these. rangers, s-10's, 1/2 tons they all work. but know their limitations. we don't do heavy towing, and plow res. only,but STILL lately been thinking of going ford or dodge in order to get SRW one ton class.
i'd rather have the ability and not need it than need it and not have it.

bubble boy
02-25-2002, 09:38 PM
i was wrong about the bed. you can get a reg. cab in 4x4. in fact the bed is about an inch longer than a chevy!!

but from what i see, GVWR on a tundra 3000 pounds short of a gm 2500HD, payload about 1800 pounds short. chevy has 55 more horses, 45 more lb-ft torque. (6.0 engine) imagine the DRW with the diesel...

and look at the restyled ram. 345 horses!!!!

DC Lawn Care Inc.
02-26-2002, 01:15 AM
Hey there Bubble Boy,

If you will look up the Dodge on the Kelly Blue Book site for information the advise you to wait until 2003 when they put the hemmi engine in it. Don't get me wrong I really like the Dodge and it's new look and my favorite is the Big Ford 350 quad cab with the diesel.

We got the Toyota because of it beng able to tow really well and fit into some tight spots where the others are just to big.
:)

bubble boy
02-26-2002, 10:03 AM
oh, definately wait for the hemi. ive got a 2001 with the magnum, nice enough, but the 2003 dodge looks real nice. and apparently they track straight as an arrow at high speed.

as for tight spots what of the tacoma?

i know that size is a concern, lotsa jeeps here for that reason.

DC Lawn Care Inc.
02-26-2002, 02:00 PM
The wheel base is a little shorter so it's easier on turn around when there isn't alot of room that's all.

Lawnworks
03-03-2002, 11:00 PM
I am with Homer! Buy a Dodge w/ a cummins diesel. No offence but your ford 250 is weak. No turbo. Test drive a dodge w/ a cummins. I think the toyota tundra has no personality, diesels are just so much more fun. Get a tough, dependable, manly diesel truck.

hustlers
03-17-2002, 06:14 PM
FOREIGN ALL the way.

The reliability ratings for
chevy, gmc, and dodge are pathetic.

Id rather go with the JAPANESE.
They just know how to make something
run for a long time.
My friend got a dodge2500- lost a tranny at
60k miles.
other guy. F-250-99
already blew a motor and rebuilt tranny
at 40k miles.

Me-88 toyota- 180k miles replaced
tires and brakes once. pulls ok not
as good as f-250 but sufficient.

JFCizek II
03-19-2002, 09:23 PM
:D I have owned eight Toyota trucks so far with 80,000 miles on my 1999 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 extracab. Even that I live in rural Pennsylvania and I live about 80 mile from my closest dealer. I have used Toyota's in my lawn care business since 1978. They have pulled my trailers. I use 1-6' by 12' with a drop gate to haul my Kabota 4X4 B 7200 with a 60'' deck. My other trailer is a 6' by 14' dual axel that carries either my other Kabota 4X4 B7200 or my Kabota 4x4 B2400 with 54" or 60" belly mowers along with all our tools. Both of my brothers drive Toyotas, one brother is driving his 4th toyota a 1998 T100 extracab 4x4 and the other brother is driving his 3rd Toyota a 1995 Tacoma extracab 4x4. I also have a 1989 Toyota regular cab with 196,000 miles that I ran in the business. They may not be the fastest truck or biggest towing truck around but they never let me or any of my brothers down EVER!!!! All the trucks are set up with Reese 5000lb. class III recevers and electric brakes and ordered new with the Toyota tow package. Thank you Joseph

CT18fireman
03-19-2002, 11:05 PM
I use them too.

Can't beat them.

HBFOXJr
03-20-2002, 12:04 PM
Why are your guys comparing a Tundra to 250, 350, 2500's etc???

Of course it is not in that class. Comapre it to a 150 or 1500 series truck and stick with gas to gas.

They are not the big dog, but if a 1/2 ton PU meets your needs they will compete very well.

CT18fireman
03-20-2002, 04:55 PM
I think what they are saying is that they will beat those bigger trucks. Kinda like David beat Goliath. I run both and know that the Toyota can do just about any job the bigger truck can. Even towing. Maybe it won't accelerate as fast but it can pull most loads.

bubble boy
03-20-2002, 08:34 PM
i don't know...i mean sure the toyotas will get the job done, but so would say a lesser brand x mower compared to an exmark. but most here would say they use exmark cause its THE best equipment for the job

im sure the toyotas have their uses. but admitting that doesn't make them equal to 3/4 tons.

CT18fireman
03-20-2002, 09:59 PM
Yeah they are better!

I use Scags and Grasshoppers. Exmarks are junk! At least that has been my experience.

bubble boy
03-21-2002, 12:44 PM
i've often wondered why toyota doesn't have, say, a one ton.

theyre a huge company, and they certainly have a wide line up of trucks and suv's.

seems like they would naturally try the so called heavy duty class, i wouldn't doubt they could pull it off. looking at they volume the big three do in trucks toyota must want to increase their piece of the pie.

but i'm not sure i would switch, but would be tempting

JFCizek II
03-21-2002, 07:50 PM
:D Toyota has built a 1 TON truck but I don't think it is imported here any more. I remember that when I ordered my 88 Toyota,they were making a duel wheel 1ton utility truck with V-6 auto or 4 speed. I have seen the Toyota campers around all I can think of is it was made by SunLine . They are factory duel wheel trucks. I saw one last summer at the campground where the better half and I have a campsite. Can anyone else remember about the Toyota duel wheel trucks????? Thank You Joseph

HBFOXJr
03-21-2002, 08:45 PM
I remember th diual wheel job and I think some rental place had some.

What we don't know is what trucks anyone is producing abroad for other markets. That can vary quite a bit from what happens here.

Factor in not only the big 3 one tons but Mitsubishi & Isuzu and you have about all you need.

I'm sure Volvo & Mercedes are the same way.

bdemir
03-23-2004, 10:44 PM
Bubble boy,

Toyota does not have a one ton because they dont jump into things they research and develop and engineer before juping right in. Im sure they have them already just waiting for the right time. Toyota makes busses and 2tons in japan. So i know they do exist.

My tacoma has 150k miles and it has had no problems and i have pulled 16ft trailers loaded with two mowers etc....

I would put anything up to a toyota. They are built to last.

Check out this page.http://www.autooninfo.net/AutoonInfo/GalleriesandRostersofToyotas.htm

bdemir
03-23-2004, 10:48 PM
Bubble Boy,

toyota is the largest car company in the world. They have the biggest piece of the pie. They have enough money to buy out one of the big three and keep going. They make 4 different kinds of suv 6 different cars and two trucks not to mention their lexus and scion line-up.

they are the biggest at this point.nn
you just dont hear about it.

Bedros

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-24-2004, 07:00 AM
I have had 4 4x4 Toy trucks and currently using a 96 4Runner for the biz......gotta have the back seat for the kids.

I also have the plow on the 4runner.........sure a truck with a bed would be better but I can't do it right now........other priorities......

I have never had a toyota fail on me. I did have a tranmission rebuilt in one but that is because I bought it for pennies knowing the previous owner had problems driving a stick......I put 80K miles on that one before I sold it at a large profit.......

My next vehicle will be a Tundra crew cab. It may even be the rumured 3/4 ton with a diesel......