PDA

View Full Version : Question/Rant/Please Help!

Kennedy Landscaping
09-05-2008, 10:14 AM
Ok, not sure if this is the right forum or not but I wanted to get some of your opinions and advice. My dad started the mowing business several years ago to make some extra money on the side. Well now that he has gotten out of the business and I have taken over I would like to expand and get better equipment and take on more jobs and that type of thing. But my problem is he is always complaining that I don't need this and I don't need that. Like this fall I will be doing leaf clean-ups and was hoping to put a box on the front of my trailer to collect the leaves in, make it look nice and all that good stuff. But he says nope. I personally think he doesn't think I can do it. So my solution for atleast the fall cleanups is I'll get as many jobs as I possibly can handle and put them in my truck bed. Then he will see that I really do need the box. I can't do "whatever I want" though because I am only fifteen, but I am very hardworking and dedicated. He was even complaining the other night because I went and mowed in some light rain. Thanks for any help.

I.M. Green
09-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Time will be the difference for you and your dad. I am 35 and my dad has never done lawcare but has ran a succesful business and even at this stage he always throws out his opinions and gets upset when he doesn't see the need for something I'm doing. With you being 15 and still living at home you have to listen to him to some extent in order to make it a good enough home environment. Luckily for me I haven't lived at home in a while. So all I can say is listen to what he says and what you don't like, don't do BUT at the same time you have to keep him somewhat happy so it's a strange fine line that you will probably never learn exactly, but I do feel your pain. Just know in the end he does have your best interest in mind, even if it doesn't seem like it!

S.I.
09-05-2008, 12:15 PM
It sounds like you need to sit down with your dad and get on the same page.

Keep in mind there is a difference between needing something and wanting something. Try explaining to him "although I know I don't absolutely need a box on the trailer, I think that it would help in leaf clean-ups. I could save time and money by not having to make as many trips to the dump." Also if there is something that you want to improve, upgrade, add, etc. make sure that you are the one paying for it and not your parents. Let the business support itself.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-05-2008, 01:24 PM
He doesn't listen to me whenever I try to get him on the "same page". But yes, I pay for everything on my own.

S.I.
09-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Try sitting down and drawing up a business plan. Take your time with it, and put down where you would like to go with the business, to include what equipment or improvements to existing equipment, and the benefits/consequences of these decisions and why. Show how they will be paid for, and how long it will take. Put in your goals for the company in terms of what income, equipment, employees, etc. When you get this done (make sure that it is very organized and in detail) show it to your father and ask him for suggestions. This will show that you have the responsibility and dedication to take your business to the next level. By having your father look at it in writing will force him to see your points all the way through. By asking him for suggestions, you will give him the feeling of having control over what you are doing (as a parent myself, I will tell you we like to be in control of what our children are doing). Like I said don't rush through this process, take your time and make sure everything is spelled out A-Z in detail.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the advice SI. I think I'll give this a shot
How would you suggest setting this up?

S.I.
09-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Check this out to give you a start in your business plan

http://gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=357

When you get it finished, I would just hand it to him and say "Dad I've been working on this I would like you to look it over and give me you suggestions" Take it from there.

Property Pro 1975
09-05-2008, 04:18 PM
I know it may not seem like it now but 85% of the time dads are right. When you get your own truck do it yourself.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Property Pro. I do have my own truck, the 1994 F150

soloscaperman
09-06-2008, 12:43 AM
Sounds like your doing better then your dad and he might be jealous or now your being the man in the house.

or

he just has to understand that you are not 6 and you can make up your own mind.

Sounds like you have a lot of business idea's.
Work hard boy it will bring the women and the toys.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks Guys.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
09-06-2008, 03:11 PM
listen to your old man , all the stuff you have been using come from some were ,all the jobs , where do you put your stuff when not using it ........ his garage ? dont try to grow up to fast you only have 50 more years 2 work .......................

slamjamrockinman
09-07-2008, 06:00 PM
I know how you feel man! I am 15 also and I was partnered with a kid who had a truck. We both wanted to get a new walk behind and his mom didn't think we needed one. She thought the $40 craftsman push mower would work for 12+ yards a week. My friend broke his back and can't work know, so they agreed that I can now take ownership and buy my own equipment and pay him an hourly rate when he can work again, what a relief!! Sounds like you have a good approach to the issue. Hopefully you can work something out. I know your situation and it is extremly annnoying!! Parents just don't always understand. Good luck and let us know what happens!

Kennedy Landscaping
09-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Funny thing is, I will be going Friday to pick up a 7*20 trailer to haul dirt on and he don't have a problem with that, not buying it. Just borrowing from a guy that I know well.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-18-2008, 11:18 PM
Just an update, presented the business plan to my dad tonight and asked him for suggestions. It instantly changed his outlook on things I beleive. He kept telling me and telling me how good of a job I did and how well it was thought out. I think it worked! Thanks for the help!
Austin