PDA

View Full Version : I Want To Do This!

DeepGreenLawn
09-05-2008, 04:17 PM
This is COOL! I want to do this to my own house AND be able to do it to customers homes...

How hard is it to do? Does it run through a source and does the work itself or does it take a lot of set up? It seems like each line would have to be run into different parts of a box that turns them off and on on its own.

Whatever it takes... this is what I want for my house... If I can pull this off I should be able to get whatever customers I want!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0IwpRzWL_4

bigw
09-05-2008, 04:23 PM
This is COOL! I want to do this to my own house AND be able to do it to customers homes...

How hard is it to do? Does it run through a source and does the work itself or does it take a lot of set up? It seems like each line would have to be run into different parts of a box that turns them off and on on its own.

Whatever it takes... this is what I want for my house... If I can pull this off I should be able to get whatever customers I want!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0IwpRzWL_4

That is bad ass :weightlifter:

DeepGreenLawn
09-05-2008, 04:34 PM
found a controller to do this, 6 outlet, for about $100. I am going to keep looking to see what else I can find.

hotrod1965
09-05-2008, 04:49 PM
We are a parnter company with Animated Lighting. I would look at them if you wanted to do it on a commercial basis. The other big company is light o rama. The LOR stuff is a little more involved as far as the programing vs the AL stuff.

Be prepared to spend some cash though!

DeepGreenLawn
09-05-2008, 05:06 PM
What do you mean by partner company? They come out and do it for you?

hotrod1965
09-05-2008, 05:46 PM
They can if the project is big enough and you are willing to pay for them to come out and help.
Basically you get a better price on things and have the option for them to custom do anything for you.
the catch is, you will have to fork over some $$ for a small set up to become a partner (also known as a re-seller)

DeepGreenLawn
09-05-2008, 05:48 PM
what all is involved in doing that kind of work? I take it you do a lot of the programming with the computer and then up load it? A lot of syncing the right lights at the right time?

Definitely more complicated than it looks I am sure.

DeepGreenLawn
09-05-2008, 05:57 PM
yep, definitely not cheap but REALLY COOL!

Maybe next year...

Jason Rose
09-05-2008, 06:48 PM
-Light O Rama
-Animated Lighting
And there's several software packages that can help you animate.

Check out planetchristmas.com forums.

There's lots of options out there to animate, but good a MUSIC background and decent computer knowledge is necessary. Oh, and TIME and MONEY. Figure 3 to 4 hours for an experienced person to animate ONE song, and that's with only 48 to 64 channels. Most people start with 32 to 64 channels (each controller typically controls 16). Figure about $1,000 to get started with 64 channels, that's 4 controlers, the software, and transmitter for the radio. The lights and miles of cords ar much much extra...

I'd LOVE to animate my place, but I just don't have the knowledge of music nor the patience to sit down and listen to a christmas song beat by beat hundreds of times in a row...

In the meantime I use a "Lights and sounds of Christmas" controler like Deep Green mentioned. I added SSR's (solid state relays) this summer to boost the amperage of lights I can control from 12 amps to about 45. I used it last year and was pretty happy with the results. It's "plug and play", literally... But it takes time to figure out what to plug into what outlet to give you the best effects.

MowHouston
09-05-2008, 08:06 PM
I like this one better for the Wizards of Winter song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szLmAPW39uE&feature=related

I've been all over youtube with this animated lighting. Definitely something I could do if I had the money. I'll be looking into this for next year for sure.

DeepGreenLawn
09-05-2008, 08:26 PM
yeah that was a pretty good one... I wander how you can get the sound to be loud enough that if you have a show people in the streets can hear it real well...

I may get the cheaper one that I found for $100 to see how it does by itself.

MowHouston
09-05-2008, 09:23 PM
They transmit it over a low power fm transmitter. Have a sign in their yard that says to tune into it.

That way folks in their car can change the channel to it and see the full effect of the light show.

DeepGreenLawn
09-05-2008, 09:31 PM
LOR does this? Pretty cool... if they do it...

that would be worth the money when I am able to afford it...

I may get the cheap one and hook up speakers to play the music for the time being.

turf hokie
09-05-2008, 09:33 PM
I did this at my house last year. Had em lined up to watch. Transmitted it thru the car radio and had an advertising sign next to the "tune to" sign.

It was great, lots of compliments. Did the shows at hours so as not to peeve off the neighbors.

DeepGreenLawn
09-05-2008, 09:37 PM
did you get a lot of calls off of it?

What is the cost to us? I think Hotrod said there was a hefty start up cost?

turf hokie
09-05-2008, 09:39 PM
We got a few. I expect the real result will show up this year. I did not start up my display until late in the season last year.

Depending on how many channels you want, and that depends on the size of your display the price will vary. I would say be prepared to spend somewhere between 1 and 2 grand for the set up. Then you need you lights to plug into it:dizzy:

DeepGreenLawn
09-05-2008, 09:42 PM
I plan on getting my house nicely decorated this year and maybe add that function next year. Do it in stages. I want to get the house looking good. Thinking about putting up my lights REALLY early this year to let people know I am here. Definitely putting them up early on mine and some friends to get pictures to show my work... and get any problems worked out before the customers start calling.

turf hokie
09-05-2008, 10:03 PM
That is what I did.

year 1, I did Christmas for halloween, house completely lit with wreaths, garland, the works. People thought I was crazy, but it got attention when the parents stood at the end of the driveway talking about the lights while the kids came to the door for candy.

year 2, actually did halloween lights for halloween. Learned how to better make colors work on my house for christmas, but switched everything from halloween to christmas the day after halloween to show people we could take down and install quickly,

year 3 upped the halloween display a bit, set christmas display to music and switched to led

year 4.....to be seen but will have fog machines, strobes music for halloween. christmas is pretty maxed out, probably wont change much this year.

MowHouston
09-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Same here. I figured I'd use some of the profit from holiday lighting to do a show type decoration. That is, if everything works out. I dont see why it wouldnt.

I just found out today that I have a relative that runs a holiday lighting company in the DFW area. He's gonna show me the ropes (or is it cords in this cas? :D) Yay!

MowHouston
09-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Same here. I figured I'd use some of the profit from holiday lighting to do a show type decoration. That is, if everything works out. I dont see why it wouldnt.

I just found out today that I have a relative that runs a holiday lighting company in the DFW area. He's gonna show me the ropes (or is it cords in this case? :D) Yay!

hotrod1965
09-05-2008, 10:13 PM
If you use Animated Lighting most eveything is pre-programmed. LOR takes all the time to program. AL is fairly plug and play.

That's whythe AL stuff is more money!

-Light O Rama
-Animated Lighting
And there's several software packages that can help you animate.

Check out planetchristmas.com forums.

There's lots of options out there to animate, but good a MUSIC background and decent computer knowledge is necessary. Oh, and TIME and MONEY. Figure 3 to 4 hours for an experienced person to animate ONE song, and that's with only 48 to 64 channels. Most people start with 32 to 64 channels (each controller typically controls 16). Figure about $1,000 to get started with 64 channels, that's 4 controlers, the software, and transmitter for the radio. The lights and miles of cords ar much much extra...

I'd LOVE to animate my place, but I just don't have the knowledge of music nor the patience to sit down and listen to a christmas song beat by beat hundreds of times in a row...

In the meantime I use a "Lights and sounds of Christmas" controler like Deep Green mentioned. I added SSR's (solid state relays) this summer to boost the amperage of lights I can control from 12 amps to about 45. I used it last year and was pretty happy with the results. It's "plug and play", literally... But it takes time to figure out what to plug into what outlet to give you the best effects.

turf hokie
09-05-2008, 10:15 PM
If you use Animated Lighting most eveything is pre-programmed. LOR takes all the time to program. AL is fairly plug and play.

That's whythe AL stuff is more money!

Dont say that too loud. I like to make it sound as complicated as possible.

hotrod1965
09-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Yeah, that's how i sell it too!

DeepGreenLawn
09-05-2008, 11:40 PM
LOL, that is how we sell everything isn't it?

I like the idea of plug and go, it keeps it simpler for not only me now but the guys later on... I take it the customers pay for these as well like they do with the lights?

Are you seeing a big push for halloween? Do you light the house similar to what you do for christmas? C9's and such or is it more webs, and actual decorative type stuff... a strobe and some sound?

hotrod1965
09-06-2008, 12:48 AM
I had someone ask me for a animated holloween show this year and that was it. I don't really market the holloween market, I probably should, but I don't.

I am putting up 100 sets of lights Sunday for a wedding shower!

David Gretzmier
09-06-2008, 03:40 AM
This hurt my eyes to watch on a 3 inch window screen on my laptop. I cannot imagine it in person.

Sorry to go the other way on this, but these type of displays do several negative things-

1, it turns off the market that consistantly buys Christmas lights at a price that is profitable. The upper 2 % would never do this in thier neighborhood.
2, it creates publicity that this is what you do. TV crews will show up. So you will get tons of folks that want this, and i am estimating 20-30 hours each year to set this display up, and the cost will have to be 1300-1600 per year to be profitable for you. the people that want this won't/can't pay it.
3 Instead of getting more customers in a neighborhood, the neighbors will dislike you. the traffic, and the massive amount of blinking lights will create ememies. They will get on TV the first or second year. count on it.
4 the more complex a lighting system is, the more things that can go wrong. I'd plan on triple the number of service calls.

I've looked into doing these type of displays and it just goes against sound business policy-I try to do work that magnifies the positives and minimizes the negatives. There is too many negatives associated with this type work.

DeepGreenLawn
09-06-2008, 08:17 AM
good points, well taken and makes a lot of since.

razor1
09-06-2008, 09:55 AM
"This hurt my eyes to watch on a 3 inch window screen on my laptop. I cannot imagine it in person".

David might be right but still very cool.

hotrod1965
09-06-2008, 11:11 AM
It really is more of a non-residential product. The only folks that ever ask about it are cities and businesses. They are also the only people that can afford it! If homeowners want it, they go buy the stuff themselfs and do it as a hobby.

It really is simpler to set up than you think. I have four dancing mini trees that are 4 ft that run on 16 channels. It took about 1.5 hours to make the trees (48 sets of lights total) and it takes about 10 mins to plug everything in and press GO. I have about $1200 into them with speakers, and I have already sold one set and plan on selling a few more for $1800. So $600 for two hours of work! This is something we just sell, not install/service...

corey4671
09-06-2008, 11:52 AM
I have never really visited this forum, but my reaction to this video was this:

If I were to drive by and see this and not hear the music, I'd be thinking somebody better call an exorcist!

hotrod1965
09-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Most people that do this at thier house havea big sign out front that tells you what station to tune to.

David Gretzmier
09-07-2008, 12:35 AM
I have to admit, if I drove by, and it was near the "time" it was to do it's thing, I would tune in and watch with my kids. They's say wow, and ask why I didn't do that. I guess it just is too disco or techno-wave. or something.

Swampy
09-07-2008, 02:16 AM
seeing people do this makes the kid come out inside and wish for christmas to come faster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot-B4V8oqPQ&feature=related

DeepGreenLawn
09-07-2008, 09:21 AM
I think that it is great! I don't see it as techno if it done right. If it is done properly it is more of an art to me...