PDA

View Full Version : 6th version of my site

BrandonV
09-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Hey guys, just going to ask as any of yall have time just give my site a run thorugh. This is the 6th version I've done and since I no longer have any windows pcs its hard for me to tell if they are displaying it the same as I'm seeing here.
I'm still working on it, the previous version I had was with flash and glittery but a large % of our clients were having problems w/ it so back to simple.

www.tomscreek.com

shepoutside
09-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Works ok up here in Canada, lol But the calendar page would not load.

benjammin
09-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Looks great, calendar page is fine on my pc here.

cbscreative
09-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Good job! Your comment about going back to simple is one I try to inform clients about. I like what one of my instructors said a lot when I was taking university classes to sharpen my web design skills. She often said, "Just because you can, does not mean you should." There are times to use Flash, but not to the degree it usually gets used.

You have done a lot of things right. It's clean, easy on the eye, and clearly communicates what you do, has personality, and shows uniqueness. The point about when to plant was excellent. Only one correction I would advise though, is "easiest to sell" rather than "easiest to sale."

The only other thing that I noticed, and it's mostly opinion, is that "Main" should probably be "Home" instead. The only reason is for consistency with what we are used to seeing. It's kind of expected, so calling it Main is clear enough to me, but Home will cover you on the lowest common denominator principle.

I thought the "Made on a Mac" was not needed, perhaps could even send a message suggesting that PC users are inferior. Although I use PC, I do know there are many advantages to Mac. With Vista, that could be the best news for Mac in years, but that's a separate subject.

For the most part, I would say this site is a great example of how to do things right. There are some things I would do differently in the code for search engine purposes, but the design is nicely done.

TrimmerAssist
09-08-2008, 11:44 PM
I like it, you show up in google search too, good job.

WebMan
09-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Looks good but for some reason (only here do I see this) landscapers prefer those little 800x600 sites. :confused:
So while it's a pretty site, nicely laid out. etc. I have a little site in the middle of my monitor and at 52 while I don't need glasses I have reading glasses for small print and that's what I would need to read your history page. It's in no more than 2pt letters and web site letters (just a "rule" of web design) should never be smaller than 3pt unless it's intentionally fine print (like a copyright notice or something else you don't care if a visitor reads or not).
You do a customer appreciation event which is great. All contractors should do that, hopefully you know how to "work" it to get the most data for your database (the best thing about having one) but there you switch to a funny font that wouldn't be so hard to read from the size, but when you couple the small size with the bold and funny letters it's too blurry to read well either.

I have been over this 100 times if once here but for some strange reason landscapers love the 800X600 fixed size sites that went out with 15" monitors.
So I will not keep trying to convince everyone that there is nobody doing this anymore (hardly) .
So as long as your typical customer has an older computer (at least 5+ years) with a native resolution of 800x600 or they have bad eyesight so they have the size "turned up" on their monitor, they will have the same problems I do and if their reading glasses aren't in their pocket (mine are on my bookcase 5' away) they won't go get them so some of your pages will be read and some won't and I won't make it to customer appreciation day (which is a shame because it's the best way to build your database while "locking in" customers.)
And while there have been people argue this on this site that I am wrong and for some reason 800x600 is still OK years after it went "out of of date", not one has ever posted a link to ANY (not one) major corporate web site that is a fixed 800x600 resolution.
Otherwise nice site, a few, not many more photos would be good.

cbscreative
09-10-2008, 03:12 PM
And while there have been people argue this on this site that I am wrong and for some reason 800x600 is still OK years after it went "out of of date", not one has ever posted a link to ANY (not one) major corporate web site that is a fixed 800x600 resolution.
I just never saw you ask for an example.

www.adobe.com

While the Home page does not use a fixed 800px width, the product pages (such as Photoshop) do. I didn't measure to confirm it's exactly 800px, but I know it's close. The strangest part about this is that Adobe targets to people like me who use large monitors cranked up a couple notches on res. I also find the left screen alignment interesting since some people say you shouldn't do this either.

Although the pros and cons of 800px width could be endlessly debated, I think you make a very good point about font sizes. Just because the width is fixed at 800px should not mean that the text is small.

For those who have 800px width on their sites, it might be a good idea to monitor your stats. Keep records of how often you see the 800x600 and then make your decision about whether you want to widen your design or not. Even if your numbers are 5 or 10 percent, it would seem like a silly business decision to tell 5% of your customers that they aren't good enough to buy from you.

One more thing I rarely if ever see mentioned in the screen res debate. Yes, the factory setting has been 1024x768 for years now, but not everyone has their browser at full screen. Reducing the width also allows for these users too.

WebMan
09-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Ah yes, you have provided an example...from the company that makes the products that make the "way cool" web sites and unquestionably some of the best software in the world...but adobe.com is all Flash, and Flash must be fixed size to display correctly. Now show me one web site of a participant here with the 100's of active links and Flash animations that site has...what do you expect from a company that sells all those wonderful products? It is absolutely dazzling...and they don't sell lawn services.

Now dig a bit deeper and if you look at their premium web product this is the "site of the day" for today and it's almost full-screen" http://www.findyourfrontporch.com/ in this monitor. Like other Flash sites it must be fixed size to display properly but they figure you will have a larger monitor. It doesn't fill my 22" wide screen (which the average homeowner probably doesn't have...after all I want a 24") but completely fills my 19" at perfect size. :)

Also if you buy the products to produce a site like that and you are the average visitor here $1,600 later you will still be trying to figure out how to make your first web page. :cry:

cbscreative
09-15-2008, 09:07 PM
WebMan, I'm not sure what you were getting at with adobe.com being all Flash. Yes, they now make Flash since they bought out Macromedia, but the site is not all Flash. It certainly uses Flash, but the pages are HTML.

Anyway, there's this little company that owns www.bestbuy.com that I thought you might want to know about. They also use a fixed width site somewhere around 800px.

I had to laugh at your last comment above. Not only can you spend $1600 on Adobe CS3 Web Premium and have no idea how to use it, it will take years of practice and several classes costing about $1k to $3k+ each. Now add textbooks and maybe even a few seminars.

David Gretzmier
09-15-2008, 11:40 PM
I would have to agree with the above post, there must be a way to host your web site and make it scaleable to different resolutions for not too much cost. I have a 15 inch and 17 inch laptop, and on both the website kinda sat there in the middle of the screen. many website just seem to automatically scale up to fill your monitor. I could read the print fine, but I am almost 40 and probably could not read it without reading glasses in a few years. and I love the history page.

dbsoccer
09-18-2008, 06:54 PM
and easiest to sale?? easiest to sell. Typo. No biggy. Looks good.

"We're Work-o-holics" => change to We are Work-o-holics.

But we know how to have a good time as well. Toms Creek, since it’s founding *,* **missing a comma*** has always been a destination. But in the last 5 years we’ve worked to develop our facilities and staff to make our visitors ***visitor's*** time here more memorable. With weddings, concerts, club meetings and our popular workshops happening throughout the year, we have the experience and facilities to host a wide range of events. We strive to make all of our family friendly events memorable for people of all ages.