PDA

View Full Version : Color Change????

Elite Outdoor
09-06-2008, 10:31 AM
I have a customer who wants up lighting on their house, and wants the illumination to change colors. Simular to the fiber optic fixtures you would put in a water fountain. It needs to change colors on its own, I'm not talking about changing out a lens either. I know of no way to do this so any advice would help greatly. thanks

Lite4
09-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Sorry, I think fiber optics with a color wheel is the only way for an automatic change. The bigger question is why would he want this for his house!?!?! Does he live in the center of Disneyland!?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
09-06-2008, 11:49 AM
You could use the Colorstars RGB LED MR16 lamps. They have a setting that has them rotate through a colour pallette and I am pretty sure they can be co-ordinated to work together.

Short of that, you would be looking at Spec. Grade LED RGB lighting products and DMX control systems typically used on commercial projects. Get out your wallet!

That being said... why would anyone want to have shifting colours directed onto their home and landscape?? Sometimes it is your job to dissuade prospects from making mistakes. If you can't do that, then perhaps you should walk away. I cannot imagine how ghastly a home would look lit up in changing colours. Certainly not something I would want my Company's name connected with.

Elite Outdoor
09-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the reply. Just to answer some questions, the guy is from another country, and is very extravagant to say the least. He is a multi-multi millionaire and money is no object to him. He lives on a huge lot, with in a carribean style mansion. That being said I always let my customers know what I believe will look the best, most importantly my job is to provide customers what THEY want (they are the ones paying the bill) not what I think will look the best to me or you. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I do appreciate the help and if any one has any more ideas please let me know I would greatly appreciate it.

Pro-Scapes
09-06-2008, 07:18 PM
if he doesnt care about the money then you would probably be best off subbing this project out to a theme builder or the likes.

I have the colorstars RGB here and yes you can sync them together however the intensity leaves alot to be desired.

How much room do you have for mounting and where are you planning to mount this ?

If the home is really that big you will need more than an RGB led drop in.

While your at it if he wants something that wild you might as well toss in some bliss lights too.

David Gretzmier
09-06-2008, 11:48 PM
There are several RGB Led's that will sync and do this effect for you, but I cannot vouch for thier life. I have a few in water features, and I have only had them out there for a year or less.

Chris J
09-07-2008, 12:14 AM
Sounds like this customer is in need of a professional. You should be directing him in the way of a quality lighting system, rather that relying on his direction. Unless he has experience with outdoor lighting, then he has no clue as to what he could have! It's your job to educate him. If you can't do that, then maybe you should call in a sub-contractor of lighiting? I'm sure he'll give you a percentage, then you'll have NO call backs, and you'll still receive money from the sale!

Elite Outdoor
09-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the info Billy and David I really appreciate it. Chris, I set up a full demo, he liked it but wanted color added to it. You can educate your client until your blue in the face, which is what I have done here, but it comes down to what he wants. Whats wrong with making a cleint happy. I guess I need to make it clear that this is NOT what I would like for his property. I have been doing this for 2 years now, and although I'm sure I don't have your experience, and knowledge, its crazy to imply that I am not a professional. I'm sure that even with the success you have today, you still don't know everything. I am really just looking ideas on how to do this job.

Chris J
09-07-2008, 10:53 AM
I wasn't implying that YOU are not a professional. I was trying to say that sometimes you have to treat it like a doctor/patient situation. The customer usually doesn't know what they could have, so it would be up to you, as a professional, to tell them what they need. There's a saying: give the customer what they want, not what they ask for.
Sorry my statement came across the wrong way.

irrig8r
09-07-2008, 01:27 PM
I wasn't implying that YOU are not a professional. I was trying to say that sometimes you have to treat it like a doctor/patient situation. The customer usually doesn't know what they could have, so it would be up to you, as a professional, to tell them what they need. There's a saying: give the customer what they want, not what they ask for.
Sorry my statement came across the wrong way.

I liked that clarification...well said Chris.

David Gretzmier
09-08-2008, 11:35 AM
I like that saying, I've never heard it before. Give a customer what they want, not what they ask for. cool.

NiteTymeIlluminations
09-10-2008, 12:08 PM
No reason not to do something unusual, interesting, and dramatic...

jeez live outside the boundaries a bit guys...not every one wants just 2700 kelvin on their house...some contempo house may look good with each facade being a different color...a brick ranch i dont think so....

I'd look at this:

http://www.americanlighting.com/products.cfm?ID=97

He decides he doesnt want the color, reset the colors at the controller

NiteTymeIlluminations
09-10-2008, 12:10 PM
ever see the movie Stepford wives? Boring boring boring...nobody step out of line, etc...who wants that!

Elite Outdoor
09-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks NiteTyme,
Amazing product, I'm going to try to get some more info on it.