PDA

View Full Version : 1978 International loadstar 1850

mag360
09-06-2008, 02:07 PM
A good buddy of mine has this truck with a 10ft dump. 275hp dt466 5+2 trans/rear(new 80,000 miles ago dash reads 102,000 but I'm sure its a lot more). Dump is pretty clean, cab and hood are good on the outside. Floor is starting to rust through on the drivers side. Tires are good (almost new), Brakes, suspension are good (airbrakes). Batteries are dead---it has sat for around six months at the yard.

Anyone have experience with these things? We don't need it, but for the price (favor swap and a few hundred $$$) I'd like to grab it, paint it, and leave it hooked to the dump trailer to save wear and tear on one of the diesel pickups and add to the safety margin towing heavy.

Gravel Rat
09-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Aslong it passes state inspection (CVI) you should be okay. The inspectors don't like holes in the floor so you will have to fix those. I think the biggest problem you will have is wiring gremlins. The only driveablity problem will be the 2spd rear axle if your not used to them you can have problems you might be doing some axle selector repairs :laugh:

bobcat_ron
09-06-2008, 05:08 PM
Just lay a sheet of plywood over the floor and you should be good to go. http://deephousepage.com/smilies/alc.gif

mag360
09-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Aslong it passes state inspection (CVI) you should be okay. The inspectors don't like holes in the floor so you will have to fix those. I think the biggest problem you will have is wiring gremlins. The only driveablity problem will be the 2spd rear axle if your not used to them you can have problems you might be doing some axle selector repairs :laugh:

It's got a lot of hp so I guess if the rear gives trouble we could just run it in low.:cool2:

Thanks. Also does anyone have a source for simulators for the spoke wheels?

Gravel Rat
09-06-2008, 05:31 PM
You paint spoke wheels east indian chrome aka silver paint :laugh:

The reason why the inspectors don't like holes in the floor is diesel/gas fumes can get into the cab. Sheet metal and roofing tar works good to patch holes in the floor.

As for the 2spd you will have to use it because the engine will scream running in low range and high range is too tall for everyday use.

Its easy to up shift a 2spd but a real biatch to down shift a 2spd without getting the zeeeeecrunch when it drops in.

To up shift you start out in 1L-1H-2L-2H-3L-3H-4L-4H-5L-5H. To down shift say your driving along in 5th high to drop to 5th low you need to push the button down rev the hell out of it.

It has been so long that I have driven a truck with a 2spd I have forgot the proper way of downshifting. I prefer not to drive 2spd axle trucks a 8-9-10-15-13-18 spd transmission is easier to drive.

Here is a 5+2

www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4TNnmcas1w

Here is a 8LL double over which I would rather drive

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQFZzfcgUjw

I shift the same way as the guy shifting the 8LL use no clutch and shift by ear and RPM.

ksss
09-06-2008, 05:46 PM
I would say that would be a fair deal in any condition. You could part the truck out and make an easy 1K off the engine alone min. The good thing about IH trucks is the parts. They have sold more med. trucks over the last 30 years than anyone else probably combined. You could get a better cab from a bone yard and replace the entire unit for cheap (I would assume if the floor is gone there is likely more issues you don't see). I am surprised it has the 5-2 with the 466. That usually is a light duty gas tranny. Again make friends with the local bone yard and get an 8LL (I like that tranny) or a 9 speed and you would have a decent truck that is easy to drive. Considering your getting the truck practically for free, if you threw a couple K at it you would really have something.

Gravel Rat
09-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Rust is the big problem if the cab is really starting to rot then you may not want to dump much into it

I imagine this is simmilar truck what your looking at minus box

www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/joe_bohannon/2004/nov/p1010052.jpg

International when to the "S" cab in 1980 late 1979.

mag360
09-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Rust is the big problem if the cab is really starting to rot then you may not want to dump much into it

I imagine this is simmilar truck what your looking at minus box

www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/joe_bohannon/2004/nov/p1010052.jpg

International when to the "S" cab in 1980 late 1979.

Yep---that's about right. This one actually looks just as nice on the outside. The hood, grill, and doors are newer and the front bumper is painted and pretty nice.

mag360
09-06-2008, 09:39 PM
I would say that would be a fair deal in any condition. You could part the truck out and make an easy 1K off the engine alone min. The good thing about IH trucks is the parts. They have sold more med. trucks over the last 30 years than anyone else probably combined. You could get a better cab from a bone yard and replace the entire unit for cheap (I would assume if the floor is gone there is likely more issues you don't see). I am surprised it has the 5-2 with the 466. That usually is a light duty gas tranny. Again make friends with the local bone yard and get an 8LL (I like that tranny) or a 9 speed and you would have a decent truck that is easy to drive. Considering your getting the truck practically for free, if you threw a couple K at it you would really have something.

I wonder if it started out as a gasser. The engine was new 80,000 miles ago and is the 275hp rated version. Possibly this is a 100,000 mile truck, then, as the odometer indicates.
Thanks for the tips.

Gravel Rat
09-06-2008, 10:00 PM
The truck very well could have been a gasser somebody has stuck a diesel into. You don't see very many diesel Loadstars. International trucks are pretty easy to change engines etc.

The only worry is how many miles are on the engine.

mag360
09-06-2008, 11:35 PM
The truck very well could have been a gasser somebody has stuck a diesel into. You don't see very many diesel Loadstars. International trucks are pretty easy to change engines etc.

The only worry is how many miles are on the engine.

It was a rebuilt engine according to the owner. I'll have to ask if he converted from gas.

Gravel Rat
09-07-2008, 12:21 AM
The truck was probably converted before the guy bought it or he might have converted it.

I doubt the truck was ever regeared in the 2spd for a diesel. If you get the truck cheap it will work for pulling a trailer or doing your hauling.

SouthernLandworks
09-07-2008, 11:28 AM
You cannot go wrong with the dt466

treemover
09-07-2008, 12:59 PM
they put 2sp in them from the factory. I have a 88 with 466 and 2sp. I hate the 2sp put the truck and motor are great. Im getting better mpg pulling with that truck instead of my 07 cummins and 7.3 powerstrokes not to mention it is a more safe. you can go wrong with that truck. for sure look for a newer cab also one other thing to consider the newer (i Believe 90-2004) slope nose hoods will bolt right up and make your cheap truck look like a newer one. Good luck

ksss
09-07-2008, 03:45 PM
they put 2sp in them from the factory. I have a 88 with 466 and 2sp. I hate the 2sp put the truck and motor are great. Im getting better mpg pulling with that truck instead of my 07 cummins and 7.3 powerstrokes not to mention it is a more safe. you can go wrong with that truck. for sure look for a newer cab also one other thing to consider the newer (i Believe 90-2004) slope nose hoods will bolt right up and make your cheap truck look like a newer one. Good luck

Thats true the newer still hoods bolt right up. Pretty common update that, although is missleading is well worth its cost in resale.

mag360
09-07-2008, 04:28 PM
I was hoping that would work with the hoods.

Dirt Digger2
09-07-2008, 04:29 PM
KLC99 whos truck is it?...i don't see too many Ints running around W.C.

Gravel Rat
09-07-2008, 07:26 PM
The gasser 2spds are geared lower. If the truck was in good shape remove the rotten 2spd drop out install a single speed drop out and install a 8spd or a 6613 transmission. Depending on the year of the engine if it has a SAE bellhousing it would be a easy transmission swap.

As for swapping hoods your SOL the Loadstar cab is different they only had one style hood for them. The S series cab you can put a newer hood on them.

DBL
09-07-2008, 07:33 PM
KLC99 whos truck is it?...i don't see too many Ints running around W.C.

he said this one has been sitting but im pretty sure ive seen a yellow one running around west chester and downingtown....most likely not the same but its from that era

mag360
09-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Bought it.
The cab and dump body are in really nice shape now that I've looked closer.
The truck is red and paint is actually decent---we'll redo it at some point to white and/or burgundy.
Digger---I bought it from Mike Platt of Greenspaces but I don't think he ran it while he had it. He has a newer 4700 with switchandgo setup that is his primary.
I put new batteries in and they don't drain down---easy fix.
Truck came with new 22.5 rear tires, recent fronts (20's), and a full tank of diesel (looks like about 50 gallons).
Looks like it originally had the diesel with the 5+2 trans/rear so gearing should be appropriate.
I'll grab a few pics after I clean off the layer of tree crap on it.
Thanks for the advice.

mag360
10-27-2008, 12:22 PM
As it sits. Will get into it this winter for some body work---mechanically its rock solid.

Junior M
10-27-2008, 05:22 PM
The truck looks pretty good already, some rubbing compound, wax and a good bath will do that truck some good....

Gravel Rat
10-27-2008, 11:02 PM
Truck looks good it looks like a heavier single axle the rear axle looks like a 23,000lb rear the front axle is a 9000-10,000lb front axle.

Red paint is the hardest to clean up and try make look good. Off to a carwash clean it up.

MikesLawnServiceLLC
01-16-2009, 12:32 AM
So just to correct the facts:

DT466 was replaced at 80,000 miles
There is 20,000 on that engine.
This one was was originally a Diesel. Never a gas.

The clutch is new (2 years ago)

33,000 GVW (23000 Rear 10000 Front)

Ran like a top before I bought it, never used it, so I ran it around the yard every week until Chip picked it up, and now I feel like it has a great home! I can't wait to see what ya do with it, Chip!

-Michael J. Platt

Platt & Company, Arborists
"Taking Tree Care Higher"
Serving the Tri State area (PA, NJ, DE)
Aston, PA

We are no longer Greenspaces, and we only perform Tree Care services:

Diagnosis, Pruning, Cabling, Fertilization and Removals