PDA

View Full Version : coffee grounds for fungal growth?

growingdeeprootsorganicly
09-06-2008, 03:31 PM
i just wanted to share my discovery with the forum and hopefully not skive any body out in the process!?

i'm constantly trying to get my girl freind/wife to clean out the coffee maker after every so many brews and at lest not to leave the grounds and filter in over night till the next brew, we have one of those cheapo makers most people have, i was wondering about the build up in the bottom of the filter holder, the part where the coffee filters through and out the hole in the bottom, i was noticing after making a pot that the filter holder had small amount of build up in it, black coffee staining/deposits on it.

i scratched off a tiny piece with a knife and dropped it on a slide to view under the scope, WoW, thats all i can say! the fungal complexes where numerous, rivaling the best fungal teas i ever viewed,

first thought was i hope their not pathogen fungi, or something that can hurt us, never, never have gotten sick though, knock on wood!!

needless to say that coffee maker is trash it was only one year old, bought new one.

i wonder what fungi coffee helps encourage in a worm bin/compost setting?
it seems to be perfect food for microbes,?

now ever body go check your coffee makers! LOL:)

Tim Wilson
09-06-2008, 03:35 PM
I feed my worms the spent coffee grounds all the time.

Smallaxe
09-08-2008, 04:05 AM
...first thought was i hope their not pathogen fungi, or something that can hurt us, never, never have gotten sick though, knock on wood!!

needless to say that coffee maker is trash it was only one year old, bought new one.

Lots of people actually collect grounds from Starbucks etc. to spread on their lawns.
The filter holder housing can be washed as opposed to throwing away.

treegal1
09-08-2008, 08:52 AM
I am drinking out of a new one this morning as well, 2 slides and I seen more than I want to see. I tryed some bleach and soap and it was just time for a new one. funny thing is that the boiling hot water does not sterilize it all that well, how does solarizing kill off anything.

growingdeeprootsorganicly
09-08-2008, 03:37 PM
tree,

i see you take your coffee with a little fungi too?

ICT Bill
09-08-2008, 04:39 PM
It shows you how ubiquitous bacteria and fungi are, it is in everything.

The big names in home supplies like proctor and gamble are making a fortune off of bactericide tissues and such, there ain't no such thing

I wonder if your south american fungi speaks spanish or portugese, it could be south african coffee or asia too

Maybe we could teach them tricks like how to clean the coffee machine

treegal1
09-08-2008, 06:52 PM
yes well now we use a glass and stainless french press and the whole thing goes into the GE dish sanitizer. we also tried the old scoop and stare, with several other items around the house, disposal was the worst out of all, second was the door nobs, and third was the phone, the soles of my shoes had less grown on it than anything, tooth brush was ok, toilets were not so bad, pillow, which i though were going to be bad were ok also.

now for the kicker, we went after all aspects of germs, lysol is only a temp fix and only on contact, bleach and water works good, the real killer was soap and hot water. it seemed like every one just burst and died. any who, we live in a microbial world, and I can only hope that the things we do to "fix " the problem are not worse than the "germs" in the first place.

ps the brewer was almost the cleanest thing around after it gets washed.lolol

treegal1
09-08-2008, 06:57 PM
also has any one ever had serval coffee, the Cherri gets cleaned with the intestine of a cat.............

ICT Bill
09-08-2008, 07:55 PM
No but we just bought a one half serval cat on Saturday, he actually may be more than one half, his name is Simba, I also like to call him "el tigre" he is marked like a cheeta, they are called savannah cats

treegal1
09-08-2008, 08:30 PM
thats too cool Bill, now grow some coffee and feed him the cherries and you will get "el tigre" beans from the other end.LOLOL dont you lust love a cool pet, our tride has grown in leaps and bounds, the new farm is real turning into a farm. say meow real loud for me.

ICT Bill
09-08-2008, 08:59 PM
GGGRRRRRRRR MEOW, he has the greatest growl when he plays

Our 14 year old has waited 2 years for a cat, she is in heaven

Kiril
09-09-2008, 02:58 AM
It shows you how ubiquitous bacteria and fungi are, it is in everything.

Good point. If you looked at everything you eat and drink under a scope, you would probably be dead inside a week. Sometimes your better off not knowing.

DeepGreenLawn
09-09-2008, 09:11 AM
go to the local fast food restaurant and check out the fountain water with their drink machines. They are suppose to be at the top of the list of NASTY! My wife doesn't use ice anymore after she saw this...

Smallaxe
09-09-2008, 11:09 AM
go to the local fast food restaurant and check out the fountain water with their drink machines. They are suppose to be at the top of the list of NASTY! My wife doesn't use ice anymore after she saw this...

:laugh: Talk about vascular necrosis - the drain from the bottom of the ice machine is supposed to have hot water poured through everyday so that the fungi/bacteria don't actually close up the tube. And the outlet nozzle for the soda pop or cappachino machine?!?!?! Thats not a beard or filter :laugh:
Many winters as C-Store Associate you notice a lot of things.

44DCNF
09-09-2008, 12:13 PM
:laugh: Talk about vascular necrosis - the drain from the bottom of the ice machine is supposed to have hot water poured through everyday so that the fungi/bacteria don't actually close up the tube. And the outlet nozzle for the soda pop or cappachino machine?!?!?! Thats not a beard or filter :laugh:
Many winters as C-Store Associate you notice a lot of things.

Have you looked at the drain tube or catch tray residue under your icebox?

On coffee: I have grounds to say, that grounds are good breeding grounds....for mold and more.

We bring home bags of grounds weekly and when left in the open, you'll see lots of flies and various insects milling about over it like it were a pile of dung, and later, maggots aplenty. As you have noted, mold forms quickly in them too.