PDA

View Full Version : Case vs Catapillar backhoes...

Aliate X
09-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Hey everyone, Im new to the site I stumbled across it, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with cat backhoes...I used to have a case 590 super L 4x4, extendahoe, 4 in 1 bucket, etc. and Im considering making the swap to catapillar machines as it seems its what everyones using, minus their skidsteers, I like the case skidsteer controls. Btw Im using it for street excavation. Thanks everyone.

NateV
09-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Dont swicth just because thats what everyone else has. If your really considering switching demo both then make you decison. My dad has had Case backhoes over 30 yrs and thats all we will ever buy cuz they are a great machine and work for us. Now im not sure what controls you run but if you run 4 stick then dont switch to pilots, you'll hate it. WE have always run 4 sticks and decided to get one with pilots on the one we have now and hate it. That machine is going next year when the new ones are suposed to come out. But its really up to you. Cats backhoes just seem to big and bulky to me, espically if you working in the street.

Aliate X
09-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Dont swicth just because thats what everyone else has. If your really considering switching demo both then make you decison. My dad has had Case backhoes over 30 yrs and thats all we will ever buy cuz they are a great machine and work for us. Now im not sure what controls you run but if you run 4 stick then dont switch to pilots, you'll hate it. WE have always run 4 sticks and decided to get one with pilots on the one we have now and hate it. That machine is going next year when the new ones are suposed to come out. But its really up to you. Cats backhoes just seem to big and bulky to me, espically if you working in the street.

yeah youre right about the 4 stick i forgot about that, Ive always like the 4 stick controls. thanks for the info.

ksss
09-06-2008, 05:18 PM
I don't think the CAT backhoes are all that popular. The local CASE dealership here has 2 420E's with under 500 hours. This new series has issues. A friend of mine has two 430 E's and they rotate back to the dealer to get worked on. I think he has his own bay at the dealership by now. Pretty hard to beat a CASE backhoe.

Gravel Rat
09-06-2008, 05:18 PM
I wouldn't switch Case is one of the best backhoes made. The reason why Cat might be so popular is either its a union company or Cat is giving good deals. I'am not impressed with Cat backhoes I ran one they are bulky and clumsy.

bobcat_ron
09-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Case rules supreme here, one company here owns somewhere in the neighbourhood of 6 Case 580's.

Cougar Excavating as I recall.

Gravel Rat
09-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Each manufacturer excells in building a machine better than others and with Case it has been Rubber tired hoes they build one of the best backhoes on the market. I think the only closest competitor to Case it John Deere.

Both companies have decades of experience in farm tractors. Clatterpilllar backhoes can't even compare to a Case.

Then you have the odd ball brands like JCB, Newholland/Ford and others.

I have mentioned this before but I worked on a site I ran a JCB and another contractor used a 590 Case. Both 4x4s what the Case could do and go I didn't even try with the JCB.

Working on another site I worked with a guy I never worked with before I thought I would be a better backhoe operator than him. It didn't work out that way he told me he used to work for a utility company so that explained why he out worked me on the machine. It was a older Case 590 4x4 and I learned never judge a book by its cover I thought the guy was a ordinary labourer.

Anyhow you want a dependable machine go with a Case. I have ran early 1980s Deere 310 and 410 you want to talk about old machines. The ones where you swung the boom and it wagged back and forth like a dogs tail :laugh:

Scag48
09-07-2008, 02:34 AM
Don't switch. I'm a Cat guy but the new E series are junk. We have one at the training grounds that was in the shop half the time I was there, it was one little thing after another. Nice machine when it ran, to its credit. Has a fair amount of power, it's definately a much more ergonomic machine than the Case bar none. But, comfort alone doesn't pay the bills. I like Case hoes after having run a new 580M we had out there as well, wish we had a Super M but alas, just the standard 580.

coopers
09-07-2008, 03:35 AM
I think everyone has hit it on the head. I have no experience with CAT so I can't judge too much (other than my personal observations) but I have run Case backhoes for 8 years (not as consistent as others on this forum) and they have always been a superb piece of machinery. I do agree that Deere is probably close behind with their backhoes but like GR said, both companies have had extensive history in the industry and seeing how Case pretty much started the backhoe concept; they seem to know how to build a good reliable machine. My favorite backhoe is the Case 580C and that model is 30 + years old.

Dirt Digger2
09-07-2008, 01:03 PM
cat backhoes suck because their booms are too heavy in the rear

Gravel Rat
09-07-2008, 06:41 PM
I was looking at a near new to year old couldn't tell by serial number 580 Super 4x4 I couldn't beleive it the machine had 4 lever controls and foot pedals. A rare sighting don't see them at all the last 4 lever I ran was a 1986 construction king 2wd.

It was a contractor not from the area most Case machines are 590 Super you could see the size difference or I noticed.

Scag48
09-07-2008, 06:49 PM
You mean 3 lever controls with footswing and the 4th lever was for the extendahoe?

Gravel Rat
09-07-2008, 06:58 PM
You still call them 4 lever controls when you have extenda hoe.

Scag48
09-07-2008, 07:37 PM
I suppose, but TRUE 4 lever is Ford controls in which one lever was for the swing.

I really like 3 lever with footswing. I never dreamed I'd like it until I had the chance to spend a good 40 hours on a Case hoe at the training grounds. Now the only control pattern I'd prefer other than 3 lever are pilots, wobble sticks can take a walk.

Gravel Rat
09-07-2008, 07:54 PM
If you want to be a Case backhoe operator with foot pedals you might aswell take a pair of scissors and cut the crotch of your jeans open the stitches are going to let go anyhow straddling the control box for 8 hours a day :laugh:

Scag48
09-07-2008, 08:29 PM
I'd run a hoe installing utilties for sure. A bit stressful, though, dodging buried stuff. A few weeks ago I was thrown on a 200 digging above some buried fiber optics. The laborer spotting me told me if I hit the fiber, it's $50,000 a minute fine. The fiber runs to a bank's central server a little ways up the road. Talk about stress, I was sweating bullets all day. I took it easy and we came away from it without issue, I was a nervous wreck all day nonetheless. :dizzy:

Gravel Rat
09-07-2008, 09:36 PM
If you tear out a fiber optic line it is bad news because it is very hard to repair. Utility work can be a pain but if the buried utilities that are already in the ground are well marked it usually is okay.

It is the areas where buried utilities are there but nobody knows exactly where they are because the work was done 30-40 years ago.

coopers
09-08-2008, 03:40 AM
The laborer spotting me told me if I hit the fiber, it's $50,000 a minute fine.

HOLY CRAP! That's insane. I would NOT want to be doing that at all....you're a brave one! :)

Gravel Rat
09-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Nothing is as bad as what happened in Burnaby B.C. when a contractor doing utility work hit a high pressure oil pipe line. It was a big mess and took a year to clean up. Everybodys yard affected had to be dug out and replaced. It was a major project.

Its good for Scag his butt cheeks were probably clenched all day :laugh:

ksss
09-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Nothing is as bad as what happened in Burnaby B.C. when a contractor doing utility work hit a high pressure oil pipe line. It was a big mess and took a year to clean up. Everybodys yard affected had to be dug out and replaced. It was a major project.

Its good for Scag his butt cheeks were probably clenched all day :laugh:

Put a charcoal briquette between your checks in the morning and your girlfriend will have diamond by quitting time.

qps
09-08-2008, 07:07 PM
gotta chime in here...CASE seems more popular here than CAT backhoes, the thing is I don't see alot of backhoes running around like there used to be:hammerhead:

Gravel Rat
09-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Backhoes are starting to dissapear with mini excavators and skid steers are being used. Even experienced backhoe operators are a dying breed.

Ozz
10-21-2009, 10:29 PM
Case rules supreme here, one company here owns somewhere in the neighbourhood of 6 Case 580's.

Cougar Excavating as I recall.
My uncle has 2 580M's and one 580l. They are the machines that keep him in buisness doing utilites,driveways,snow... Here in western KY you'll occasionally see a Deere but Case is 90% of what I see. Here's my advice, If youre used to Case, stay with Case. By the way, I've heard nothing good about the E series from Cat.

Fieldman12
10-22-2009, 07:45 PM
I would go for a Case or Deere. Around here that is what you see. I do see the Cats also but hear allot of complaints about them.

tbi
10-22-2009, 10:01 PM
I had several Case 580's the last one was an L. I swapped it for a cat 420D. I can't say I miss the Cases but who uses TLB's anymore? We use it to push a snow box and load materials in the yard and that's about it.