PDA

View Full Version : staple or clip?

DeepGreenLawn
09-06-2008, 07:54 PM
This comes from a friend who gave me a list of topics that I had not come up with just yet...

SO, staple or clip?

First things first... what is meant by this? Attaching lights? Using staples rather than clips such as the all-in-one?

I take it since I haven't heard anyone talk about staples, other than one thread where they talked about using anchors? to attach lights to the roof, that clips are the way to go.

SO, if this is the case, which I believe it is... I also know that there are many different kinds of clips.

Anyone care to go through the main ones and explain what the purposes are of each and how they work (how they attach to the shingle)?

My guess... all in one... this clip has a place to "clip" in your lights to the clip for all types and strands. It is put on the shingle sort of in the same way as a paper clip with paper? One side goes on top and the other is on bottom? The bottom one has pressure put on it naturally by the shingle to keep it from falling off? I would think that the strand isn't that heavy to begin with so this is usually not an issue.

I have seen clips that appeared to be done by removing the bulb, placing the clip over the socket(?) and then adding the bulb? I say this because by the pictures I don't see how the lights could fit through the hole provided.

What other clips are there and what little tricks have you found to put them in tuff spots?

MowHouston
09-06-2008, 08:09 PM
rofl you're just asking for people to get onto you now... You should know the answer to this one already.

Staples are so 1950's. Clips are the only way to go

DeepGreenLawn
09-06-2008, 08:21 PM
I had a feeling that this was what they were talking about but different professions have different names for different things so I just wanted to play it safe... if I have to ask the questions no one else will ask because of fear of being made fun of the so be it.

As of right now... that question has been answered...

I use to say that there is no such thing as a "stupid question" but I have since quit saying that... I have been asked some straight up stupid questions. And apparently I ask them myself from time to time...

David Gretzmier
09-07-2008, 12:31 AM
Several of the christmas installers here use staples when doing ridges and gables on roofs. I saw a portfolio of a girl who does lights up north, and she uses staples. I use all-in-one clips for c-9's.

tdf
09-07-2008, 05:31 PM
I only staple things like decks, fences, pergolas that are pressure treated and not painted. i use clips for almost everything.

tf

DeepGreenLawn
09-07-2008, 05:47 PM
how do you properly staple a strand of lights?

how far apart do you typically put your clips?

I know these are elementary but I feel they are some basic questions that have the possibility for some interesting, helpful answers. (No, I am not stupid, just pretending to be for those who might not be quite on top of things... and I like to ask questions...)