PDA

View Full Version : deterring leaf eating animals

growingdeeprootsorganicly
09-06-2008, 07:55 PM
visited the garden today to find some of my pepper and tomatoes plants leafs eaten off,

ive been seeing miner damage like that for the past month or so.

i have been using garlic + hot pepper spray with some semi good results,

after it washes off, or wears off because of time, i get more eaten leaves.

i though it was just dear but i found some small pellet sh@t next to one of the eaten plants.

any idea's for repellents / deterrents?

treegal1
09-06-2008, 08:34 PM
make a nice salad to go with the offender at dinner????

box trap??? or a snare??

09-06-2008, 08:49 PM
im next to the woods, so i would be trapping many animals, was hoping for some thing that would just deter them from coming in the area. or something that would make the leaves less desirable tasting.
i asked the question to see what other options i might be over looking
and what others are having success with?

fence is out of the question for anybody wondering

i always plant more then i need for these type of reasons but i have a few plants i really don't want to lose this late in the season,

treegal1
09-06-2008, 09:24 PM
try planting some garlic in the garden? sonic noise maker?? ask the zoo for some large cat bedding thats gently used, we use panther pee from the wild life center.

or this will get them.LOLOL

cudaclan
09-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Yes, companion plantings of onion/garlic and electric fence barriers.

09-06-2008, 11:30 PM
tree,

what da f is that? siren or vaporizer of some kind?

read many times about that and have seen many products with predator pee/crap/hair, makes perfect sense for the deer, will that deter rabbits,squires as well, maybe bobcat pee/hair?
now if i can just get my tiger to pee in the cup?

im gonna stick with the garlic/pepper spray since that seams to work when i stay on top of the apps and just piss all over the place:) till i can do some more research on the subject,

Prolawnservice
09-06-2008, 11:45 PM
looks like a sound cannon, makes a shot gun like bang at timed intervals, neighbors usually don't like them. In my experience most animals don't like walking on trap rock(sharp sided), If you could make a border of it, it may help.

phasthound
09-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Years ago I had a garden in a clearing in the woods, the deer thanked me very much for all the food I provided for them. I was lucky enough to find a local veterinarian who had a couple of retired circus lions. I cleaned out the stalls & spread the crap around the garden perimeter. No more deer problem.

treegal1
09-07-2008, 08:41 AM
LOLOL, we have a wonderful bouquet of fl panther and mountain lion with a little lynx and puma mixed in for good measure, and every now and then we get some lion poo from out of the zoo poo, you can always tell it apart from the rest. we had this one large oak that kept getting eaten, that was the start of it all, when we moved into our house several years later, we had "the cat lady at the end of the street" 300 + cats all over every thing all night and day like rats, so one day we made a good strong tea from the big kitty poo and bedding, wow, it was like a mile wide cat box from hell, we sprayed all the yards we could and our yard real well, there was not a cat to be seen for miles, the cops came and ask me what i had done to them and keep saying that poison was illegal and I could be arrested for hurting them, so after a while and a phone call real quick, I fessed and told them what i had done, even let them smell the tank, that did it for them then, and to this day the only cat around for miles is Phill's little buddy that he keeps in his office. it was even in the news paper.