PDA

View Full Version : Ratchet style chain binder

AWJ Services
09-06-2008, 08:32 PM
I need too buy some more binders.
I would like ratchet styles.
I can get the imports for dirt cheap.
I think I would be better off buying something a little better quality wise.
Any opinions?
I am leaning towards durabilt.
Also where is a good place too buy them.

Gravel Rat
09-06-2008, 08:39 PM
I don't know how these prices compare to what you can get locally

www.awdirect.com/load-binders/

I wouldn't buy the cheapy ratchet binders get the best you can buy so you don't have to deal with ones that don't ratchet properly.

Load securement you don't cheap out on.

RockSet N' Grade
09-06-2008, 09:11 PM
www.1st-chainsupply.com I have bought my grade 80 chain, hooks and binders from them....not dissappointed.

CAT powered
09-06-2008, 09:18 PM
AW direct all the way! I can go to their headquarters in Berlin, CT and get any chain setup I could ever want.

I can go there and get up to 5/8" grade 120 chain. There's some pretty cool stuff there.

As for ratchet binders don't cheap out on them. If you get good ones and treat them right they'll last a long time. (unless they're stolen) I like to dip the screw part of my ratchet binders in used motor oil. It keeps them from rusting and it lets them go in and out a lot easier. I find that if they ratchet hard I just need to put a pump of grease on my finger and smear it in where the "little clickie part" for lack of a better word meets the rest of the binder.

Scag48
09-07-2008, 02:51 AM
I've ordered a lot of stuff from AW Direct, they're great. Anything from them is guaranteed not junk, I believe the binders they sell are probably excellent.

AWJ Services
09-07-2008, 10:11 AM
http://www.awdirect.com/load-binders/

Thats the page with there binders.
They have an Import and they also sale the Durabilts which are mostly American made.

I have 100's of feet of Grade 40 3/8 chain so I it will be a while before I upgrade too a higher grade chain but I would like the binders too be ready for a Grade 70 or higher just in case.
The binder that will fit 3/8 chains up too grade 100 needs too hold over 8800 pounds.
AW's DR-2 is 50 dollars a piece(9200 pounds).
http://www.awdirect.com/rachet-load-binder-for-1-2quot-grade-40-3-8quot-grade-70-chain-dr2/load-binders/

I have found Durabilt DR-2 which is DOT rated for 9200 pounds for 37.99 a piece and 4 of them shipped too my door for 20 dollars.
http://www.tarpstop.com/binders.php#93

Ist Chain supply has the DR-2 for 40 bucks but you have too buy a min of 6.

http://www.1st-chainsupply.com/binders/durabilt/dr-2.html

I found the Dixie industries/c&m chain which are all American made for 50 dollars a piece plus shipping.

There is a company that has 5 Imports for 130 dollars with free shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-3-8-1-2-Ratchet-chain-Load-binder-Truck-Flat-bed_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33653QQihZ010QQitemZ200252434102QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

These are all 9200 pound capacity.

So I have scoured the INTERNET and this is what I have found.

Quality wise you have
Dixie/C&M chain
Durabilt
Imports

In order of quality.
I would think the Durabilt/Dixie binders will be much better than the Imports.

I will email AW direct for an exact price since they are a sponsor here.
I will lean towards them because they do help support the forums.

I have plenty of lever binders but they are just a pain too get tight.
Especially since I know haul something over 10k pounds.
Sometimes I may make 2 to 3 load/unloads a day.Thats 20 plus tightening sequences a day.

wanabe
09-07-2008, 10:45 AM
The durabuilt's are good binders. I run the DR-3's on my hoe, and they work great. I picked them up a tarpstop.com, and they are good to deal with.

ksss
09-07-2008, 04:49 PM
I have never used the ratchet binders only the lever. I should try some ratchet binders. They seem to be more safe than lever, but it appears they take longer to chain down. Is that a fair appraisal?

CAT powered
09-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Yes. That is a fair appraisal. Ratchet binders can also be tightened more easily if they get loose along your trip.

Dirt Digger2
09-07-2008, 05:17 PM
once you learn how to use the ratchet binders they are nice and quick...plus you don't need to carry a bar with you...the trick is when you are unloading a machine you need to run the binder out more then required...if you run the binder out only enough to unhook the chain then the next time you tie the machine down you will have to run them out then individually...run them out all the way to the end and when you tie down the machine the next time you might only have to turn the lever a few times before it gets good and snug

we only use rachets..they are safer in the fact you don't have to worry about kickbacks, you dont have to worry about falling off a trailer or slipping when you try and tighten them, and like CAT mentioned you can easily tighten them if they get loose

P.Services
09-07-2008, 05:29 PM
I have never used the ratchet binders only the lever. I should try some ratchet binders. They seem to be more safe than lever, but it appears they take longer to chain down. Is that a fair appraisal?

i just started to use them and i find my guys that only have a G.E.D and no highschool diploma cant figure them out. they get a stupid look on their face when the bottum out and cant figure out why the chain isnt tight. "do it again ******!!!!!"

but i do find they stay tight longer compared to the levers.

Gravel Rat
09-07-2008, 06:18 PM
The lowbedders around here have gone to ratchet binders and after seeing how much safer they are I won't go back to lever binders.

Lever binders are teeth removers or do some unwanted surgery to your face. I have used lever binders for years always have to be carefull I have had a few close calls with the cheater pipe slipping off.

Your pulling on a cheater pipe thats hard on your back.

Keep the rachet binder lubed up and out of the dirt they are trouble free. If they have a dry screw they are miserable to use :laugh:

I watched a lowbed guy today strap down a Case backhoe he had ratchet binders. It sucked the tires down you could see it was pulled tight. A lever binder you would have to pull like a sucker to get the chain tight.

I have chained down backhoes they are a pain in the gluteous maximus.

Safety is more important than time savings yes it takes a little longer with ratchets but you still have your front teeth :drinkup: