PDA

View Full Version : Here's a hint......MEOW!

Boss Exc.
09-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Well I went to the Sandwich Fair in Sandwich,IL today and got a nice surprise.It was a pretty new Cat 279C CTL.All I have to say is pics just don't do these new CTL's any justice....These thing's in person are unbelievable!Their HUGE!The bucket on this 279C seemed like it was twice the size that is on the 297C,Maybe yes maybe no but it was BIG.I know there has been pics of this on here before but I snapped a few more for you guy's...Oh and I took a couple of pics of a 315D for ya too.
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n137/robinr1/DSC01021.jpg
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n137/robinr1/DSC01020.jpg
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n137/robinr1/DSC01019.jpg
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n137/robinr1/DSC01018.jpg
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n137/robinr1/DSC01022.jpg
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n137/robinr1/DSC01017.jpg

Dirtman2007
09-06-2008, 10:53 PM
after running a tak and having the roll up widsheild I just don't think I could ever get used to that type door setup. It's nice sometimes to just run the machine with the door up, kinda hard with that setup.

looks like a nice machine though. What size bucket is that? about a yard?

I bet those track sure can rap that machine up in mud with no fenders!

CAT powered
09-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Looks like that 315D has the same "plastic mailbox flag" as some call it that the Case machines have.

AWJ Services
09-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Look at the exposed hyd lines in the under carriage.:confused:

CAT powered
09-06-2008, 11:11 PM
I doubt they'd be much of an issue and if they were it looks like you could weld a piece of plate steel right over them and have it not be an issue. You could probably even put it on a hinge if you want to.

Boss Exc.
09-06-2008, 11:23 PM
I doubt they'd be much of an issue and if they were it looks like you could weld a piece of plate steel right over them and have it not be an issue. You could probably even put it on a hinge if you want to.

That would be the very first thing I would do too that machine is cover those hyd. lines...Their pretty exposed.

Gravel Rat
09-06-2008, 11:25 PM
That 297 looks like a brute I think Cat will have good sales with that machine.

I also noticed the hydraulic lines its hard to tell but that might be hard piping if its rubber thats not a good place for them.

Boss Exc.
09-06-2008, 11:31 PM
That 297 looks like a brute I think Cat will have good sales with that machine.

I also noticed the hydraulic lines its hard to tell but that might be hard piping if its rubber thats not a good place for them.

Their regular hyd. lines...It's not hard piped.

CAT powered
09-06-2008, 11:34 PM
It looks like you could weld a piece of steel right to the piece going diagonally right below the hydraulic lines there. That would keep the lines shielded pretty well and if you hinged it as I mentioned above you could flip it back to access them if you need to.

Also is that a plastic safety bar on the 315?

Boss Exc.
09-06-2008, 11:38 PM
It looks like you could weld a piece of steel right to the piece going diagonally right below the hydraulic lines there. That would keep the lines shielded pretty well and if you hinged it as I mentioned above you could flip it back to access them if you need to.

If your talking about the bar that locks and unlocks the controls I believe it is.

dozerman21
09-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Looks like that 315D has the same "plastic mailbox flag" as some call it that the Case machines have.

I was talking to a guy I work with the other day who owns a 315 and I noticed the plastic flag on his machine... I guess they see what works and roll with it.

Cat should have covered those lines inside of the tracks. They will pack with mud eventually and that will wear over time, especially when the spade hits it. Like Cat Powered said, you could weld a plate over it and that would probably take care of it, but Cat should have noticed that and did it themselves. Unless I'm attaching D-Rings, I really don't want to have to weld on a new machine.

That 279 is a sharp looking machine. I'd like to get one dirty and see how she does. The door is huge but they should have eliminated some of the trim and used more glass.:laugh:

Scag48
09-07-2008, 02:30 AM
The "mailbox flag" isn't plastic. At least it isn't on the 345DL we have at work.

coopers
09-07-2008, 03:39 AM
There was a company doing work across the street from where I am working and he had a 315D and it looked pretty sharp. Hard to spit that out but I thought it was nice.

bobcat_ron
09-07-2008, 10:43 AM
If Cat had too many warranty claims on their drive hoses, they would have done something about them by now, I have yet to have an issue, I had re-bar scrape under and along side my machine and all kinds of junk in the undercarriage, and the wrapping around the hoses is still intact.

A person can always wrap the hard plastic coil wrap around the hoses, that's never a bad idea, welding a plate around is bad, that will hold mud inside.

ksss
09-07-2008, 02:56 PM

THAT WOULD MAKE MY DAY!

Junior M
09-07-2008, 03:00 PM
what? Ksss are you having another one of your spasm's? I think it is.. If it is go take your pill and lay down on the closest softest thing you can find.. remember it will all be ok. :laugh:

Scag48
09-07-2008, 05:22 PM
The safety lever isn't plastic, it's pastic coated, but it's rigid. Needless to say you'd be hard pressed to break it, unlike the Case mailbox flags. I'm surprised Cat went back to this style lever, they were used on B series excavators which were a rubber coated steel rod, then the C series used the Komatsu style floor mounted lever that folded down. Not really sure why Cat went back to this style lever.

ksss
09-07-2008, 05:28 PM
The safety lever isn't plastic, it's pastic coated, but it's rigid. Needless to say you'd be hard pressed to break it, unlike the Case mailbox flags. I'm surprised Cat went back to this style lever, they were used on B series excavators which were a rubber coated steel rod, then the C series used the Komatsu style floor mounted lever that folded down. Not really sure why Cat went back to this style lever.

I will investigate that. You had better hope your right Scag. Cause if its plastic I have a plate of Crow for you to eat.:cool2:

Scag48
09-07-2008, 05:38 PM
I checked out the one on the 345D at work and it doesn't look like it's comprised solely of plastic. It appears to be a plastic coated steel rod. If it is 100% plastic, I'm going to be pissed. I'm really starting to lose some faith with Cat anymore, we have dash 6 PC400's with bigger buckets than the 345D that aren't as tippy as the 345. And, the 345 is 5 tons larger, doesn't make any sense, it should be able to swing an 84" bucket no problem. That and the 345 looks like it's at least 10 tons bigger than it actually is, just makes it look bad when there are 2 other machines loading trucks that are 5 tons smaller, look 10 tons smaller, and are running bigger buckets. To the 345's credit, it is wicked fast and has a wad of power. I know it wouldn't have a problem draggin around a larger bucket, the machine just isn't balanced very well.

Gravel Rat
09-07-2008, 06:07 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the safety lever is plastic. Cat is going so cheap on their equipment I bet half the stuff in that 315 is glued together.

There isn't anything wrong with plastic it can be just as strong as steel when used in certain applications.

ksss
09-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Well especially in this instance. The plastic lever is never actually used to move it up and down. That is done on the console. The plastic lever extends out when the saftey is released from the console. Its not a big deal, I think Scags issue is more about the idea of it being plastic (symbolic of cheapness throughout the machine) than its actually lack of strength. If you think about it this way, CAT/ASV uses plastic in their undercarriage rollers on their MTL's. Now if thats not a sign of weakness/or cheapness I don't know what is. CASE and maybe CAT chose to use plastic on their saftey lever that is never in the dirt and never touched by a human hand. It is merely an indicator that the safety is either on or off.

Scag48
09-07-2008, 06:39 PM
I still think it's stupid. As I said, the C series was a floor mounted lever that was made of steel. I'd have to check the dash 7 PC400 we have, but it has this style console mounted pop out rod. I can't tell if it's steel or not, it looks to be, though. And yeah, it's not so much a matter of actually breaking it as it pisses me off that this is what the standard of quality has come do.

bobcat_ron
09-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Well especially in this instance. The plastic lever is never actually used to move it up and down. That is done on the console. The plastic lever extends out when the saftey is released from the console. Its not a big deal, I think Scags issue is more about the idea of it being plastic (symbolic of cheapness throughout the machine) than its actually lack of strength. If you think about it this way, CAT/ASV uses plastic in their undercarriage rollers on their MTL's. Now if thats not a sign of weakness/or cheapness I don't know what is. CASE and maybe CAT chose to use plastic on their saftey lever that is never in the dirt and never touched by a human hand. It is merely an indicator that the safety is either on or off.

You can't bond rubber to steel with out mechanical fasteners, everyone learned that in WW2, but rubber bonds nicely to plastic, that's why the ASV rollers are plastic, and it saves massive weight.

I still think the reasoning behind the plastic lever is a safety issue when making a quick exit out of the cab in an emergency, there's a chance the operator could cause more injury if their legs/clothing gets caught on the steel lock out lever.

Bleed Green
09-07-2008, 07:54 PM
im kind of surprised there are no "grab handles" on the front of the loader arm to grab when you are getting into and out of the cab. I figured that would be something that was mandatory on all skids and ctls.

Scag48
09-07-2008, 08:24 PM
There are grab handles on the cab just like every other skid steer out there.

Danish Cat technician
09-23-2008, 04:17 PM
hi guys. Im back.

First of all the exposed hoses in the undercarriage is no problem at all. We have a bunch of old and new skidsteers here in Denmark and I have only experienced 1 broken hose. (I work at the Danish dealership)
And like someone said: "if it was a problem Cat would adress it".

The safetylever in the 315 is steel and some rubber, so that it bends if you push it sideways. As far as I know you cant bend plastic like steel ;) at least not without heating it.

Btw. its the first time I have ever seen a 279 and i'm afraid to admit it, but that undercarriage looks like a bobcat. Luckily we dont have those undercarriages :clapping:

The plastic wheels on the C series arent that bad at all. Not from what we have seen so far. There was a problem with the first models of the C series, but there is a product improvement program paid by CAT to fix this problem.

bobcat_ron
09-23-2008, 07:45 PM
You would have to be some kind of a moron to cut through those hoses while using a (very sharp) edged shovel, and Cat's hoses are exremely tough.

keerym
09-25-2008, 12:31 AM
I'm really starting to lose some faith with Cat anymore, we have dash 6 PC400's with bigger buckets than the 345D that aren't as tippy as the 345. And, the 345 is 5 tons larger, doesn't make any sense, it should be able to swing an 84" bucket no problem. That and the 345 looks like it's at least 10 tons bigger than it actually is, just makes it look bad when there are 2 other machines loading trucks that are 5 tons smaller, look 10 tons smaller, and are running bigger buckets. To the 345's credit, it is wicked fast and has a wad of power. I know it wouldn't have a problem draggin around a larger bucket, the machine just isn't balanced very well.

Scag, make sure you are not comparing apples and oranges. The larger the excavator, the more variance in its performance with different configurations. The 345 in particular has two booms, several sticks, different size counterweights and even fixed or variable width undercarriages. Some dealers will bring them in light for transport reasons. Others will load them up for better performance. Also consider quick couplers and bucket design (weight) can greatly contribute to performance differences. If the machines are configured the same, the 345D should be a real performer.

Scag48
09-25-2008, 01:19 AM
Just calling it how it is. I'm within arm's reach of 4 ton 400 buckets every day, I have a good understanding of boom and stick length, undercarriage widths, etc.. That 345 is spec'd pretty linearly compared to the PC400's we run; standard boom (not ME), with a medium stick (not sure what the 345D has for stick options, 365C has 4, not sure about the 345 but it's one of the medium 2 if there are 4), hydraulic pin grabber coupler, all that good stuff. You can bet that my company wouldn't even bother demo'ing a machine that wasn't pretty damn close to what we're already running, so it's not like we the 345 was setup for failure.

If you took the damn numbers off I'd swear its a 55 ton machine, it has a huge ass and the upper structure is absolutely gigantic and really out of proportion for a 45 ton hoe. I talked to my buddy who ran it for about 5 hours last week before they hauled her off. With the 84" bucket on there he said it handled it alright. I guess the first reports of tippiness I heard were a little premature, however once everyone got a little better feel for the machine that 84" monster bucket seemed to be just about right for loading loose till.

On Cat's credit, the cabs are still nice and this machine can perform. I wish I would've gotten a chance to run it a little, but oh well. I had my jollies on a dash 7 PC400 last week, that was good enough for me.