PDA

View Full Version : I said i wouldn't buy a 6.0 PSD now i own one!

Lawn-Sharks
09-06-2008, 11:54 PM
I went to the Ford dealer to see what they were getting for their newer used diesels thinking i could still get a 7.3L in one umm no. I looked at two 05' XLT Lariats F-250's Super Duty 6.0L PSD 4x4 crew cabs, well what started out as just looking at them ended up me buying one. I couldn't resist.... the truck i bought was pimped out with power everything, leather, wood grain dash, FX4 package, trailer brakes & the list goes on. They were asking $30,380 for it and i told them their is no way in hell I'm paying that for a truck that burns $4.35 a gal fuel so after some tough negotiations :dizzy: i ended up paying $20,380 and it comes with the balance of the remaining warranty 10yrs 100,000 miles. I currently have 2yrs & 20,000 miles left of that warranty! Now a quick history lesson, I have had a few friend own these trucks w/6.0L in them and they have had nothing but trouble, but these guys are hard on their trucks & i am not! So it started out me buying this truck and loving it (all 2 weeks i've owned it)......Well my wife takes it to the store and on the way home she said she went to take off and the the truck just sat idling "no go" i thought at first it was that she isn't used to the minor lag difference between gas & diesel engines. Nope i drove it later the next day and it did it twice to me so back to the dealer it goes on Monday for warranty work! I'm not bad mouthing the truck at all it just seems my luck that this is happening to me after i told myself i would never buy one.... But to everyone who doesn't own one " MAN DOES THIS TRUCK HAVE SOME POWER" I hope this is just a small isolated problem and not the beginning of some real issues. I will try to post pictures tomorrow..

Sunscaper
09-07-2008, 10:49 AM
hope you get it worked out. My 6.0 hs 62k on it now with zero problems! It hauls a trailer daily or a couple ton or dirt or sand. I also have a 7.3 and prefer the 6.0. I hope you have good luck.

cat320
09-07-2008, 11:32 AM
probably the turbo I have already had mine out the egr turbo senser is it throwing any codes?

Lawn-Sharks
09-07-2008, 12:37 PM
I read a few threads off a diesel website and it sounds like im having a throttle sensor problem.. I owned a 00' F250 w/7.3L and it had tons of power but someone was saying that the 6.0L has more power then the 7.3L, It's been to long for me to be able to compare the two of these trucks. But does anyone know if this is true???

Lawn-Sharks
09-07-2008, 12:40 PM
No Codes yet.

hosejockey2002
09-07-2008, 12:54 PM
I owned a 00' F250 w/7.3L and it had tons of power but someone was saying that the 6.0L has more power then the 7.3L, It's been to long for me to be able to compare the two of these trucks. But does anyone know if this is true???

In the pickups the 7.3 has 235 hp and the 6.0 325 IIRC. The first time I drove a 6.0 powered pickup it was towing 8000 lbs. and it was almost like the trailer wasn't there.

Even in the E-series (van cutaway), the 6.0 feels more powerful although in this application both engines are rated at 235 hp.

WhitakerServices
09-07-2008, 01:11 PM
I have a 7.3 and love it. It does seem more like the "old tractor" of the two engines with the 6.0 being the more high revving. As I have read it is easier to make power with 6.0 but it does not have the longevity and durability that the 7.3 is known for.
If you take care of it I am sure it will be a good truck for you.

Marek
09-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Unless you bought a extended warranty its 5 yrs 100k miles. If you can buy the 200k warranty , it should only be 2-2500 dollars. Then your covered as long as the previous owner didnt have a chip in it, if so you bought a truck without the 100k warranty. Best of luck to you. The 6.0 is a good motor but it likes to run, running it a little harder helps with the EGR problems. Make sure the tech is good with the 6.0 alot of these guys are just trained parts swappers and will never solve the problem, only temp. fix it.

Sunscaper
09-07-2008, 03:09 PM
i have a 00 f-250 with a 7.3 and an 04 6.0 dump that weighs twice as much. Sometimes my wife and I run light to light. The 6.0 will either keep up or sometimes pull away from the 7.3 I like both for different reasons but the 6.0 is without a doubt stronger.

Cutter1
09-07-2008, 05:25 PM
wow, you guys must never have pulled with a cummins. I have a 6.0 ford, won't even get out of its own way. Love the truck hate the engine. I have two cummins, thats the way to pull.

J&R Landscaping
09-07-2008, 06:54 PM
I have an 06 f250 with the 6.0 psd. It has 69k on it and has been a great engine. I like the 7.3 as well. I wasn't 100% sure about the truck when I bought it but its been 11 months and I like how everything goes!

Lawn-Sharks
09-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Thank you all for the great input!

Gravel Rat
09-07-2008, 08:15 PM
I have a 03 F-450 6.0 the truck weighs 9400lbs empty I like the 6.0 it has some things you have to learn to deal with which is from the emmissions crap.

I have a 6spd so its alot different to drive over a 6.0 automatic. The 6spd you have to becarefull about the RPMs if they drop too far you don't have the get up and go. I have pulled the 6.0 down to 1000 rpm you couldn't ever do that with a 7.3 PSD.

Would I go back to a 7.3 PSD "no" if I have problems with the 6.0 I will fix them.

Lawn-Sharks
09-07-2008, 08:32 PM
I have a 03 F-450 6.0 the truck weighs 9400lbs empty I like the 6.0 it has some things you have to learn to deal with which is from the emmissions crap.

I have a 6spd so its alot different to drive over a 6.0 automatic. The 6spd you have to becarefull about the RPMs if they drop too far you don't have the get up and go. I have pulled the 6.0 down to 1000 rpm you couldn't ever do that with a 7.3 PSD.

Would I go back to a 7.3 PSD "no" if I have problems with the 6.0 I will fix them.

What kind of emmissions things did you have to learn to deal with???? Thanks

Gravel Rat
09-07-2008, 09:04 PM
The emmisions crap limits the throttle response so you don't get a puff of black smoke. It is why the 6.0 has so much turbo lag.

I have had to replace the turbo on my 03 and had to replace the EGR valve. I took a chance on a 03 and happy with it so far the truck had 36,000 miles on it when I bought it 1.5 years ago.

Ducati996
09-07-2008, 09:35 PM
2006 F550 6.0 its been a great truck -pulls a fully loaded 10k trailer as well the bed being filled with topsoil. No problems and plenty of power with no struggle at all....4:88's might help in this case :)

lawnspecialties
09-07-2008, 11:01 PM
I also have an '05 6.0L Lariat 4X4 crew cab FX4 long bed. It's a huge truck but I absolutely love it. I have a turbo-back MBRP 4" exhaust, Accu-Fab intake elbow, and S&B cold air intake. I also have a SuperChips Flashpaq reprogrammer but I prefer stock more than anything.

I would guess at least 95% of all miles driven with this truck have been towing. Anything from my landscape trailer, 22' 10K trailer with tractor, and our 30' travel trailer. The truck has always been flawless every trip.

I've pulled our travel trailer twice to DisneyWorld. That's a 1250 mile round trip. The travel trailer weighs around 8,000 lbs. and is very tall. The 6.0L pulls that thing down I-95 without any problems at all and we usually run 70-75 mph. It's been a great truck all around.:weightlifter:

Ferdelance
09-07-2008, 11:05 PM
I have an 2004 f-250 6.0 with 93,000 miles. No problem at all.:weightlifter:

Lawn-Sharks
09-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Does this seem rite?? I took the truck to the dealer i bought it from and they're telling me that if it is covered under warranty that it will cost me a $100.00 for the deductible......Is this service guy trying to rob me or does this how they're warranty's work now! Because I have owned 2 other new fords w/ factory warranty's and never had to pay a deductible for repairs!

Lawn-Sharks
09-08-2008, 11:39 AM
........Bump:hammerhead:

FDuce
09-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Yep thats right. Mine was either $50 or $100 (can't remember which). One thing to watch out for is that if they don't find anything wrong, they will charge you for labor which is not covered under warrantee. The warrantee only comes into effect if they find a problem with a covered part/item, which then it will cover the labor to fix the problem.

Lawn-Sharks
09-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Yep thats right. Mine was either $50 or $100 (can't remember which). One thing to watch out for is that if they don't find anything wrong, they will charge you for labor which is not covered under warrantee. The warrantee only comes into effect if they find a problem with a covered part/item, which then it will cover the labor to fix the problem.

Thanks! I just got off the phone with the service department and they said they,re warranty's on diesels have always had a $100.00 deductible. I told the service manager to inform their SALES MEN to quit lieing to customers just to sell a truck, because the guy who sold me the truck (2weeks ago)said that any warranty work needed wouldn't cost us s "DIME" what a F*cking Liar!!:angry:

Marek
09-08-2008, 02:00 PM
first off go above the service clown and the salesman. The service wrttters get a percentage of none warranty work. Go straight to the GM with the salesman in tow and tell him what you were told and see how they as a dealership handle it. If its not taken care of PM me and I will send you the contact info for ford customer service, I found someone there who is very good at handling these things. Its always been 100.00 after the 3 yr 36k miles on new trucks. Try to get the 200k powerterrain warranty out of them or atleast get it at cost. If you raise enough stuff they will do it.

TXNSLighting
09-08-2008, 11:22 PM
In the pickups the 7.3 has 235 hp and the 6.0 325 IIRC. The first time I drove a 6.0 powered pickup it was towing 8000 lbs. and it was almost like the trailer wasn't there.

Even in the E-series (van cutaway), the 6.0 feels more powerful although in this application both engines are rated at 235 hp.

the 7.3 99+ had 250 hp.

hosejockey2002
09-08-2008, 11:55 PM
Oops, sorry, off by 15 hp.:confused:

TXNSLighting
09-09-2008, 10:14 AM
It made a difference!

Great looking truck by the way. 05's were still a partial issue year so you may have some problems. Did you not get an oasis report?

Lawn-Sharks
09-09-2008, 12:20 PM
It made a difference!

Great looking truck by the way. 05's were still a partial issue year so you may have some problems. Did you not get an oasis report?

What's a oasis report? And where do i get one?

South Florida Lawns
09-09-2008, 01:44 PM
I thinks its for Fords specifically but I could be wrong. If you enter the VIN numbers you can find the history on any problems that may have occurred in the past that the dealers record. Can anybody else fill us in on this, and correct me if I'm wrong.

Lawn-Sharks
09-09-2008, 03:37 PM
I took the truck to the dealership yesterday and they call me back a few hours later and said they couldn't find anything wrong with it but that they wanted to keep it till today to see if they replicate the problem. Well they called me and said that their diesel tech was test driving it and a puff of white smoke came out and said that it had a bad EGR valve and when they looked up the history on the truck they found that they (the dealer) replaced the EGR valve a week before we bought it, and the service manager said it had a parts warranty and the replacement + Labor would not cost me a thing! I told Bob @ Ford thanks for the honesty, because you could have just bent me over and made me pay the $100 deductible i wouldn't have even known... Im happy now:) and my butt hole is still intact............

TXNSLighting
09-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Yeh an oasis report is basically a service hisory. It tells you everything that has been repaired on the truck. Dealers are suppose to offer that to every body especially on the 6.0's. Ask your service manager the history. he should tell you. i hope theres nothing major in it...

Lawn-Sharks
09-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Yeh an oasis report is basically a service hisory. It tells you everything that has been repaired on the truck. Dealers are suppose to offer that to every body especially on the 6.0's. Ask your service manager the history. he should tell you. i hope theres nothing major in it...

I went to pick up the truck and asked the guy at the service counter for a Oasis report and he printed it out and gave it to me and i read it when i got home.. I appears that their have been no real issues with the truck only 2warranty repairs, well now 3. First one was a EGR on 3/3/08 and the 2 repair was the #8 Injector was leaking & replaced back on 10/29/07 and then another EGR because the one they replaced failed...

TXNSLighting
09-09-2008, 06:41 PM
That is fantastic news! You should have a winner on your hands. you should be able to bypass that EGR and not have to deal with it. Goto www.ford-trucks.com They will tell you the exact process. Some you can just unplug it. Others cant.

TandM
09-10-2008, 09:57 PM
wow my dad owns that same truck except for its white. it has everything on it it was 53000 bucks. it currently has 110000 miles and now has a oil sensor problem and egr problems what a pos. along with it being slower and not able to tow a load like his dodge 2500 or his gmc2500 with diesels both 05's as well. oh and all that power everything junk falls apart. including the seats. We are not happy with our ford experience. good luck with yourS...............................

TXNSLighting
09-11-2008, 01:34 AM
wow my dad owns that same truck except for its white. it has everything on it it was 53000 bucks. it currently has 110000 miles and now has a oil sensor problem and egr problems what a pos. along with it being slower and not able to tow a load like his dodge 2500 or his gmc2500 with diesels both 05's as well. oh and all that power everything junk falls apart. including the seats. We are not happy with our ford experience. good luck with yourS...............................

You paid 53,000 dollars for and 05 f-250??!!!?? Holy crap!!

Some of the 6.0's are like that. Same with d-max's and cummins. theyre all machines.

dcwservices
09-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Had the same situation, Purchased an 05' 250 psd. After having it a month, I would press the accelerator and it would either have a bad lag, or when I would hit the gas it would not do anything! Brought to the dealer and they told me the tubo had some trash in it and they cleaned it out. Also they told me that it happened again they would replace the turbo.