PDA

View Full Version : Automobile tire planter ???

muddstopper
09-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Rather than continueing the hyjacking Treegal classes thread. I want to start another thread to discuss using automoblie tires for raised planting beds.

It has been suggested that old tires can leach harmful elements into the soil resulting in non healthy food crops. I havent seen any scientific studies relating to this topic, but I have seen tires used in this manner every since I was a kid. My grandparents used tires for raised beds, my parents, myself, and lots of other people that I know personaly. I know this doesnt mean its a healthy way of doing things, but until somebody can show a real reason, based on science and not personal preferences or opinion, I plan on continueing to use old car, truck, tractor tires for makeing raised plant beds.

If anybody has any info concerning this topic, I would appreciate they post that information here. If you are one of the many peope that do use tires for all or even part of your raised beeding, post a few pics. I dont have any pics to post myself, have to wait until next year before I can take a few.

treegal1
09-07-2008, 12:22 PM
maybe i need a mulligan on this one, on further research its the whole tire that is bad, the steel belts are a very low grade metal that has all sorts of crud in it to start and the galvanized cords are mostly zinc but also because of poor refining have had high cadmium and other heavy metals in the process also, but the rubber is also very contaminated with metals as well, and again the cadmium came up in the reading I did.

so long and short no tires for me not now and not ever, no tires at all.

muddstopper
09-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Actually what little reading I have done seems to suggest that whole tires have a very low leaching of any elements. On the other hand, tires that are groundup into shreds, as in for rubber mulch, and artificial turf, readily leach lead, cadium, zinc, and I forget what else. I did find many sites describing how to use tires for raised beds, but only the one that mentioned any negative effects. ( and I dont deem that site anymore of an authority on this subject than I am). The simple fact that tires contain all these elements doesnt mean the amounts found are harmful, I can find zinc, cadium, lead and a host of other elements in about every plant/food source on earth. I am just starting to research this and will put together any links for others to reference.

Smallaxe
09-07-2008, 05:18 PM
It is similar to the oak railroad ties being recycled into landscape timbers. They may or may not leach, more arsenic. Will tires leach more stuff or is it stable?
Who knows what is in that volcano rock!

It would be fun if our extension agencies actually took some soil samples and had them tested for these items. I also know of lots of landscapes and gardens that have had these items in place for longer than my lifetime. :)
Instead they use fearmongering to justify their regulations.

No - I am only joking. We have a fine system of sound science dictating policy to us ignorant masses. Really we do. :laugh:

DUSTYCEDAR
09-12-2008, 10:14 PM
so the people making houses out of old tires r doing a bad thing?

treegal1
09-12-2008, 10:17 PM
the earth ship homes are really dry and dont leach, i still think they are goofy:dizzy:

DUSTYCEDAR
09-12-2008, 10:21 PM
earth ship is the name i was looking for thanks