PDA

View Full Version : Built my self a hammock, how should I protect it?

RhettMan
09-07-2008, 01:55 PM
I finally finished my hammock project yesterday and Im curious about what you guys have had experience with as far as wood stains and protectors. This will probably sit in the elements 365, hopefully it will last a while.
I have no idea what kind of wood that is, just grabed it off the rack at home depot.

What would you suggest?

Going to Home Depot tomorrow.

Thanks

Skimastr105
09-07-2008, 02:08 PM
could be pine... any type of outdoor sealant should be fine... I've had good look with Thompson water seal.

South Florida Lawns
09-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Those 4x4 posts are pressure treated pine. Give them at least a week or two to dry out. Nothing will stick to it when they are wet! It almost looks like the base is PT as well. If thats the case then you don't really need to do anything to them, unless you want some color just stain. If the base is untreated pine you want a urethane or polyurethane finish coating. Make sure it has good UV blockers in it as the sun is hard on finishes. You may even need to refinish it every few years to keep up with the harsh elements of the outdoors.

VO Landscape Design
09-07-2008, 07:36 PM
could be pine... any type of outdoor sealant should be fine... I've had good look with Thompson water seal.

Thompson's gets my vote. Has preformed very well for me.
VO

Lakewlc
09-07-2008, 08:24 PM
looks like a good place to take a load off after a long day of mowin!

metro36
09-07-2008, 08:47 PM
If it is pressure treated then give it time to dry out and give it a coat of cabots or thompsons. IF not then just coat it now.

stevenf
09-07-2008, 11:38 PM
I worked for a furniture repair and refinish business for over a year. The absolute best is "Thomsons water seal". Use it once a year and after the first coat, all other coats should be prepped with a pressure washer.
Any type of poly based finishes and the sun will eat right through it. Thomsons will stay very close to the natural wood color.

IA_James
09-07-2008, 11:40 PM
Paint it. Then you won't have to look at the cheapo pine.

RhettMan
09-08-2008, 11:13 PM
Hey thanks for the replys guys.

I ended up buying thompsons and it was easy to apply, seems like good stuff.

I feel much better, bring on the rain.

rfed32
09-15-2008, 12:44 AM
hey thats nice...can you put up a material list and the dems on the materials too...thanks a lot....that thing is awesome...