PDA

View Full Version : New 2008 GMC 2500

Petr51488
09-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Picked this one up a few days ago. Its an 08 GMC Sierra 2500 with the 6.0L Gas in it. I allready have the diesel version, so 2 diesels isn't need as i will be doing strictly city driving with this one. Its the work truck package with power window, locks, an aftermarket brake controller. THats about it. Its got 4x4 and a plow prep package and 4.10 gears as well. I took advantage of the employee discounts they had out there. This truck will replace the green truck behind it in one of the pics. The size difference between the two is very noticeable. Overall, the new one is great. It has a little delay when pressing on the gas. It could be the 4.10 gears, or just just different from my 5.7 or the diesel. Either way, great truck. Oh, and yes, it needs bigger rims. I might buy the same ones i have on the red one in the pic. No aftermarket stuff. A bed liner is going in along with the top rail and hooks. Backrack might be put on too.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-07-2008, 04:03 PM
I'd raise the front up if it where me. Great truck though. Hope you have good luck with it!

Petr51488
09-07-2008, 04:06 PM
I'd raise the front up if it where me. Great truck though. Hope you have good luck with it!

Thanks! I won't be touching the front. I hear from people that once you raise the front, it puts more stress on other parts up front. Tires are out of wack, stiffer ride etc. Its staying stock.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Still a good truck though!

GravelyGuy
09-07-2008, 04:42 PM
I like the color. Did you make out good on it?

Petr51488
09-07-2008, 04:47 PM
I like the color. Did you make out good on it?

Thanks. Yea, i was suppose to buy the truck for 29k a few months ago. Didn't work out, which was a good thing, and bought it for 23k

davis45
09-07-2008, 05:27 PM
It has a little delay when pressing on the gas. It could be the 4.10 gears, or just just different from my 5.7 or the diesel.

I had a 2003 6.0. Try a throttle body Spacer, helped the MPG (not a lot, maybe 0.5-1mpg) and improved throttle response. Cost under 200 bux and took 20 minutes to install. Good lookin trucks.

oakhillslandscaping
09-07-2008, 05:43 PM
nice truck our trucks at work are all gas duallys and they have that same lag on the gas pedal which is the worst for towing up hills good luck with it cant wait to see it with a plow

South Florida Lawns
09-07-2008, 05:56 PM
That doesn't even look like a work truck. The only thing that gives it away is the wheels. You got power windows and locks? You got lucky on that find. I have never seen the chevy wt's with power anything.

J&R Landscaping
09-07-2008, 06:01 PM
That doesn't even look like a work truck. The only thing that gives it away is the wheels. You got power windows and locks? You got lucky on that find. I have never seen the chevy wt's with power anything.

I was thinking the same thing!

Nice truck You must be doing something right to have 2 brand new trucks!!

Petr51488
09-07-2008, 07:33 PM
nice truck our trucks at work are all gas duallys and they have that same lag on the gas pedal which is the worst for towing up hills good luck with it cant wait to see it with a plow

Its good to know that its not just this truck. The thing is my 5.7 doesnít do that. You think itís the 410 gearing? Or possibly the 6 speed trans? My diesel doesnít do it. I wonít be buying another plow for it. I have one on the other truck. The thing that I might do is have this truck wired for the other plow so if something were to happen electrically/mechanically on the other truck, I can always hook it up to this truck and go. But I wonít have 2 plows, unless its only another 1,000 for the plow.

Yea, itís a work truck. Its got the rubber flooring inside too. The wheels give it away and it has no molding on the side, which is something I wanted. I notice these types of things. Iíve seen some very cheap work trucks with nothing in it, power nothing for maybe 21k.

I was thinking the same thing!

Nice truck You must be doing something right to have 2 brand new trucks!!

Thanks! Business is great for me. Iím very lucky to have the accounts that I have and the great people that go along with it. I went with another new truck because its going to replace my 98. Its given me a lot of problems last year, but it seems to be running perfect for the past 4 months. I always buy new for the warranty and just peace of mind that no one before me drove it like they stole it. I could have waited until spring to buy a new truck, but the employee pricing sucked me in. You canít beat 9k off sticker.

beano
09-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Nice truck, the only thing i would do is add running lights on the top of the cab....i love those stupid clearance lights for some reason

Petr51488
09-07-2008, 10:26 PM
Nice truck, the only thing i would do is add running lights on the top of the cab....i love those stupid clearance lights for some reason

Yea, its got the wiring and the switch for it too. It came as part of the plow prep package.

Junior M
09-07-2008, 10:34 PM
I think I wouldve got a diesel just for the power and You could keep your crewcab as a dd and the worktruck would be stronger so it would pull a skid better and pull stuff like that alot better..

what do you plan on doing with your 1500 now?

Petr51488
09-07-2008, 10:42 PM
I think I wouldve got a diesel just for the power and You could keep your crewcab as a dd and the worktruck would be stronger so it would pull a skid better and pull stuff like that alot better..

what do you plan on doing with your 1500 now?

I would have went with a diesel, but they didn't have a regular cab in that color and ofcourse the price would be atleast 5k more, which i was willing to pay, but there are other reasons why i went with a gas. Another reason why i didn't go with it is that the new diesels have a DPF on it which basically collects all the diesel exhaust crap and cleans it out while driving on the highway for about 20 minutes, once a tank. The problem with this is that i will be doing all city driving. The slower, more stop and go's you have, the more it will want to clean itself out. You need to be on the highway for atleast 20 minutes to do this. I figured i allready had a diesel, no need for 2, diesel is about 1.00 more then gas, again not problem, but the main issue is all the city driving. My diesel has a ton of power to tow anything. Recently i've had 140 80# bags of concrete behind it, and just last week i had a forklift in the dump trailer. Very heavy loads, and it did just fine.

As for the 1500, i've had alot of problems with it last year, replaced pretty much everything in it, and is now running perfectly. I'll prob keep it until spring (so i can use it as a backup for snow) and just have the 2500's. Its a great truck, i just use it more then its suppose to be used.

Junior M
09-07-2008, 11:11 PM
I have never heard of that cleaning out thing before.. So how does it clean out? just like drop out or is it like a filter?

Petr51488
09-07-2008, 11:31 PM
I have never heard of that cleaning out thing before.. So how does it clean out? just like drop out or is it like a filter?

It turns the heat up quite a bit in the exhaust and it literally burns out everything in the dpf. It like a large cat. It uses about 2 gallons, give or take extra, while being cleaned out. The exhaust gets very hot while in this process. You also get crap mileage. I would be getting 22 highway normal, and when it kicks in, it drops to 10. I put a fresh leaf at the exhaust while this was happening and it nearly burnt the leaf, and my hand to a crisp. It gets very hot.

Junior M
09-07-2008, 11:38 PM
wow I have never heard of that before.. hmm.. do all the diesel do that? or is it strictly a duramax thing? and the option for a diesel was only 5,000? a cummins is like 6500 or more.. I am not sure what the powerstroke option is...

ExclusiveLawnCare
09-08-2008, 12:35 AM
Get a Ready Lift Kit in the front end, when its time to buy bigger tires. Raise it up about 2.5 to 3". To level out the Chevy nose fall.

02DURAMAX
09-08-2008, 01:47 AM
Nice GMC's!!!!!

Petr51488
09-08-2008, 09:26 AM
wow I have never heard of that before.. hmm.. do all the diesel do that? or is it strictly a duramax thing? and the option for a diesel was only 5,000? a cummins is like 6500 or more.. I am not sure what the powerstroke option is...

I'm pretty sure all new diesels have it for emissions. THe option for the diesel is a little over 7k, but with a discount here and there, its a little less.

Petr51488
09-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Nice GMC's!!!!!

Thanks! Their awesome trucks!

NSLC
09-08-2008, 01:53 PM
It looks like a big guy with little shoes on. never liked the little tire look.

Junior M
09-08-2008, 04:08 PM
I'm pretty sure all new diesels have it for emissions. THe option for the diesel is a little over 7k, but with a discount here and there, its a little less.
oh, so that is why the milage is so crappy... I knew they added emissions stuff to the new diesels but I didnt know what..

dura to the max
09-08-2008, 04:32 PM
I had a 2003 6.0. Try a throttle body Spacer, helped the MPG (not a lot, maybe 0.5-1mpg) and improved throttle response. Cost under 200 bux and took 20 minutes to install. Good lookin trucks.

where did you get the throttle body spacer at?

davis45
09-08-2008, 04:47 PM
where did you get the throttle body spacer at?

JC Whitney

dura to the max
09-08-2008, 04:57 PM
what brand?^^^^^^^

All_Toro_4ME
09-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Cant beat that new car smell. Nice trucks.

shade tree landscaping
09-08-2008, 05:37 PM
great looking truck, best of luck with it. Where in NJ are you located?

Petr51488
09-08-2008, 05:46 PM
oh, so that is why the milage is so crappy... I knew they added emissions stuff to the new diesels but I didnt know what..

Yea, but it doesnt affect it too much. I had a trip that i averaged 20mpg then it regened (cleaned out) and it dropped it down to 19. So its not THAT bad.

Petr51488
09-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Thanks, I'm in Northern Jersey Near Giants Stadium.

soloscaperman
09-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Keep me posted with the vortec motor looking on buying one like that but black or white color.

davis45
09-08-2008, 08:59 PM
what brand?^^^^^^^

I honestly could not tell you. I sold the truck over a year ago. We used it to pull our motocross and race car trailers.I would reccomend this to anyone with the Vortec 6.0. I could only notice a difference while towing.

Tim03
09-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Thanks. Yea, i was suppose to buy the truck for 29k a few months ago. Didn't work out, which was a good thing, and bought it for 23k

Okay is that just a 2500 or a 2500 HD you bought for 23k?

dura to the max
09-08-2008, 10:19 PM
I honestly could not tell you. I sold the truck over a year ago. We used it to pull our motocross and race car trailers.I would reccomend this to anyone with the Vortec 6.0. I could only notice a difference while towing.

which difference while towing? the power or mpg gain? i have plenty of power when towing, not that my DD tows much, im more concerned about mpg.

Mowingman
09-08-2008, 10:23 PM
I bought the same truck, in white, with no plow package, in April. Gave $20,500 for mine. I had diesels before, and do not miss the diesel at all. This 6.0 really pulls good. I can easily tow my 25' gooseneck, loaded with 11,000 lbs., at 75MPH down the interstate all day. Only difference in this gas and a diesel, is that I could top a big hill at 75 MPH with the diesel. With the gasser, I top the hill at 55 - 60 MPH. Oh well, I am getting too old to be in a big hurry.
You will love that truck.

Petr51488
09-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Okay is that just a 2500 or a 2500 HD you bought for 23k?

Its a 2500hd sorry. They don't make 2500 now. Their all hd's.

Petr51488
09-08-2008, 10:54 PM
I bought the same truck, in white, with no plow package, in April. Gave $20,500 for mine. I had diesels before, and do not miss the diesel at all. This 6.0 really pulls good. I can easily tow my 25' gooseneck, loaded with 11,000 lbs., at 75MPH down the interstate all day. Only difference in this gas and a diesel, is that I could top a big hill at 75 MPH with the diesel. With the gasser, I top the hill at 55 - 60 MPH. Oh well, I am getting too old to be in a big hurry.

Your's has manual windows right? I've seen a few very cheap because all it had was a.c. I would never buy a truck without power windows. Just one of those things you must have. I'll let you know how the towing goes, but i'll take your word for it. I doubt i'll be taking this truck on the highway with a trailer or load. I might, just to see how it does. Another thing the diesel has over the gas is better mileage with and without a load, but i don't want a war in this thread about it lol

RedMax Man
09-08-2008, 11:22 PM
Looks like a great truck. I'm assuming you didn't want another "red" truck?

Petr51488
09-08-2008, 11:44 PM
Looks like a great truck. I'm assuming you didn't want another "red" truck?

THanks, Haha, no one seems to like my red color truck lol. They did have a red diesel on the lot a few months ago, but i wanted a gas. I didn't have them search for a truck, i just took what they had on the lot. It actually came in like a month after i got my red truck and i said to myself, i gotta have it. It was the color i was messing around with when i bought the red. I really like both trucks, and colors.

Junior M
09-09-2008, 07:10 AM
Are you serious? I pull a 24ft deckover tongue trailer with a bobcat t190 using a 2002 2500hd crewcab shortbed with a 6.0 and it really struggles at times.. It works but it isnt like the old dodge cummins we had.. I couldnt imagine that thing with 11,000 pounds behind it on a hill.. Well I could imagine it because I pulled the bobcat 335 we rent the other day with it and it did okay I was actually impressed on how it did. I expected it to struggle but it did decent..

RedMax Man
09-09-2008, 02:21 PM
THanks, Haha, no one seems to like my red color truck lol. They did have a red diesel on the lot a few months ago, but i wanted a gas. I didn't have them search for a truck, i just took what they had on the lot. It actually came in like a month after i got my red truck and i said to myself, i gotta have it. It was the color i was messing around with when i bought the red. I really like both trucks, and colors.

Actually i do like the red truck alot.

Mowingman
09-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Mine came with some type of "WT upgrade" package. It has power door locks, tilt, cruise, better seat with fold down center console, CD player, and free Onstar for one year. No power windows. It also has a hideaway gooseneck hitch and electric brake controller.

Junior M
09-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Actually i do like the red truck alot.
I like it to! not crazy bout the brand or the brand of diesel but I like the color in general...

JosephLawnCare
09-10-2008, 08:03 PM
So how are you lovin your gray gmc? Are you going to haul your firewood with that or the red one?

Petr51488
09-10-2008, 10:48 PM
So how are you lovin your gray gmc? Are you going to haul your firewood with that or the red one?

Gray? Its Blue lol Most likely it will be with the red one. Its a diesel and it has the nav system to find the houses easier. I'll be starting up with the firewood soon. This year i have a dump trailer with sides that can hold a little over 2 cords. I might even have the wooden box in the bed too. 3 cords total, but it might be pushing it.

brucec32
10-21-2008, 01:55 AM
Do you ever feel cramped and crowded in the cab? The Dodge reg cabs have more space behind the seat for toolboxes, inflators, parts, etc. Ford light duty trucks do as well, and Tundras really have a lot of storage space inside the reg cabs. For some reason GM didn't upgrade the cab size.

The GMC price vs the Dodge 2500 series trucks is really competitive now. Roughly $3,000 to $4,000 less depending on options on gas models.

I'm going to go drive one this weekend if I can find time.

Petr51488
10-21-2008, 09:03 AM
Do you ever feel cramped and crowded in the cab? The Dodge reg cabs have more space behind the seat for toolboxes, inflators, parts, etc. Ford light duty trucks do as well, and Tundras really have a lot of storage space inside the reg cabs. For some reason GM didn't upgrade the cab size.

The GMC price vs the Dodge 2500 series trucks is really competitive now. Roughly $3,000 to $4,000 less depending on options on gas models.

I've never owned anything other then a GM, and i never really needed any storage space, other then a measuring wheel, tow strap, jumper cables, and other little things here and there. There's actually a decent amount of room behind the seats though. Compared to my 98, this new one is much more crowded. THe back window is much smaller, and the whole dash feels like its pushed at me. But on the other hand, my crew cab feels huge, dash wise.

TXNSLighting
10-21-2008, 11:38 AM

and who wants a dodge 3/4 ton gas engine??!!! comeon...

Petr51488
10-21-2008, 12:46 PM
and who wants a dodge 3/4 ton gas engine??!!! comeon...

haha, depends on the driving situation. I only got a gas because i do strictly city driving. No more then 30mph. Most cases its around 25mph. A diesel would not work in my situation because of the DPF on the diesels. They need to be cleaned out once a tank and maybe more because of the strict city driving. I don't have the time to hop on the highway for a 30 minute ride when the truck is loaded up. On top of that, i allready have a diesel, so two really isn't necessary, although if the new trucks didnt have the DPF, i would have went with a diesel. With that being said, both trucks have their places, for me atleast. And on a side note, this 6.0 is a pig on gas on the highway too. I used 2x the gas carrying the same load over 30+- miles as compared to my diesel.

KrayzKajun
10-21-2008, 12:56 PM
nice truck!!!

TXNSLighting
10-21-2008, 03:09 PM
haha, depends on the driving situation. I only got a gas because i do strictly city driving. No more then 30mph. Most cases its around 25mph. A diesel would not work in my situation because of the DPF on the diesels. They need to be cleaned out once a tank and maybe more because of the strict city driving. I don't have the time to hop on the highway for a 30 minute ride when the truck is loaded up. On top of that, i allready have a diesel, so two really isn't necessary, although if the new trucks didnt have the DPF, i would have went with a diesel. With that being said, both trucks have their places, for me atleast. And on a side note, this 6.0 is a pig on gas on the highway too. I used 2x the gas carrying the same load over 30+- miles as compared to my diesel.

I was defending your purchase. Many people want a chevy gas engine, cuz they have great gas engines. You did fine! I like your purchases.

South Florida Lawns
10-21-2008, 06:38 PM
I don't know if anybody told you this yet, but that color beautiful. If I get another Chevy I want that color. I think the forged/polished wheels would killer on that, but it is a work truck after all!

Petr51488
10-21-2008, 06:49 PM
nice truck!!!

Thanks!

I was defending your purchase. Many people want a chevy gas engine, cuz they have great gas engines. You did fine! I like your purchases.

Yea i know, sorry if i came off devensive lol, i wasn't trying to.

I don't know if anybody told you this yet, but that color beautiful. If I get another Chevy I want that color. I think the forged/polished wheels would killer on that, but it is a work truck after all!

Nope, your the first! Thanks though! When i bought my red truck i was debating between the red and that blue. I went with the red, which i love, and this luckily came along as the work truck, so i ended up getting both. As for the rims, yea, i don't care too much for them. I would much rather have the ones i have on my red truck now. Their wider, and bigger then the current ones. Its a waste of a tire to get rid of them now, so i'll wear these out, and possibly get new ones along the way.

I'll have a separate thread up soon with the dump trailer, leaf setup, and fabrication pics of my loader mount. I think it came out real nice!

Green Team Landscaping
10-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Why do they make them with the front ends so low? Toyota does it too, or atleast with the new Tundra, and thats not to say that it doesn't look like it's got a monster under that hood, but it just seems a little low.

Petr51488
10-21-2008, 08:57 PM
Why do they make them with the front ends so low? Toyota does it too, or atleast with the new Tundra, and thats not to say that it doesn't look like it's got a monster under that hood, but it just seems a little low.

To me it doesnt look low. Maybe its just from the picture, but if you notice the green truck behind it, THATS low. The green one is a 2wd truck and they allways sit low. As for the blue one in the pic, it sits pretty high up, but then again the back sits higher then the front. I noticed on the fords that they sit pretty much level, almost to the point where the back is lower then the front with no load. I would think that a truck should be a tad higher in the back for payload.