PDA

View Full Version : i am a new guy

Grace9508
09-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Hey love the site,great info. I am 21 and just lost my carpentry job because the contractor i work for went uner . I already have lined up jobs doing gutter clean out and yard maintenance for the fall so i am blessed in that . I would like to weigh out getting set up to do christmas light installation. I have basic construction equipment , truck, and a good amount of money to invest.
Would it be worth it to target lower middle class homes and do smaller jobs? Any feed back would be great. Thanks

DeepGreenLawn
09-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Doing lawn care... lower - middle class homes aren't going to be paying someone to put up their lights for them. ESPECIALLY with the way things are going now.

I am mainly focusing on the higher class neighborhoods myself.

I'll put it like this... I advertise basically in 3 different cities. They step up on the income latter as you go across. Woodstock, Roswell, Alpharetta. Now, this is as clean cut as you get it and I am not exagerating with this at all. Anyone living here can tell you I am right on. Of course there is all ways the exception but...

Woodstock: Middle class

Roswell: Upper middle class with some upper class

Alpharetta: Upper class

These three cities make a straight line going across the N Atlanta Suburbs.

My client base:

Woodstock: VERY minimal (oh, and this is where I live)

Roswell: I'd say percentage wise... 30%

Alpharetta: My main source of customers, easily 50% or more.

I advertise with the EXACT same ad in the same magazine (community magazine, same publisher just the stories are focused on the different cities) for each city. I hardly ever get calls from woodstock, this magazine covers the Roswell/Woodstock line so it doesn't even cover the majority of Woodstock, just the higher end areas. Roswell does pretty good as does Alpharetta. I would go as far as to say that they both generate the same amount of calls. Alpharetta has the most people that actually sign up.

To make a long story short...

Don't waste your time and resources on the middle, lower class, go where the money is...

David Gretzmier
09-08-2008, 10:29 AM
I have a few "middle"class folks who are mostly older single ladies or retired folk who just can't get on the ladder or roof. They do a simple design and we charge them fairly and move on. 95% of my customers are the 3500 and up square foot houses in subdivisions that have pretty restrictive covenants. I'd classify them as the upper 2-3% .

hotrod1965
09-08-2008, 02:55 PM
You'll find that you will naturally end up with Dave's spread. Our average install this year should land around $1000. How many middle class folks fork out $1000 for decorations?

DeepGreenLawn
09-08-2008, 03:00 PM
How many middle class folks fork out $1000 for decorations?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

tdf
09-08-2008, 05:53 PM
alot if we are talking half buried tires painted silver and concrete birdbaths:clapping: