PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions.

Jmill88
09-07-2008, 09:59 PM
I am going to start mowing lawns next season in the evenings to get extra money for bills. I am hoping to get 10-15 accounts for the first year. I would like to build it up in a few years so I could do it full time. I have the following questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated:

1. What is the best way to collect payment? Do you collect after each service, monthly(beginning or end), and if monthly how much of a discount do you offer for paying the entire month?

2. How many of you started up with a license and insurance. I know it is a good idea, but I want to know how you really started.

3. How much business can I expect from just doing door hangers?

Thanks!

nephilim0167
09-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Welcome aboard.

Personally, I would bill clients once a month. Have one group that you bill on the 1st, and another that you bill on the 15th. This will result in a more steady cash flow for yourself and will also make it easier to keep track of things. Getting licensed and insured is not the most difficult thing in the world to accomplish nor will it be the most costly. Get some quotes, you'd be surprised how much liability insurance does not cost. Not to mention after one costly mistake, you'd be glad you had it. As for the door hangers, I have no advice as I have no experience with them.

Bon voyage!

Flatop
09-07-2008, 10:57 PM
I started in July which was late in the season but I manage to do enough business to have some $$ flowing in. I actually went to the local court house to get a Doing Business As (DBA) and tax permit. I also have liability insurance and insured the car for business use. Itís best to have insurance to cover any mistakes or accidents you maybe involved in. As far as door hangers goes, I suggest doing something as easy as posting yard signs around the area you would like to provide service. Go on Craigslist, should find a lot of business regarding making signs for your lawn service and are usually cheaper than going to Kinkoís, or other top name print shops. Hopefully next year I will go LLC and get am few commercial contracts. Good luck to you and hope you suceed in your business,