PDA

View Full Version : ZTR's

JML
01-07-2000, 09:51 AM
I was just wondering what brand ZTR's do you guys use, and what good and bad things do you have to say about it. I use Bobcats, i don't have any major problems with them and i would recommened them to others..

drturf
01-07-2000, 11:00 AM
well i use exmarks , i love them ,i tried bobcats but they seem to scalp , bobcats use the same frame for all their decks which i found cause them to scalp , i just bought a new exmark lazer 52" and i love it does a much better job for me.

Eric ELM
01-07-2000, 12:40 PM
I have two 60&quot; Dixie Choppers, a 1993 and a 1994. In all these years of use, I had to take one back to the dealer for an intake manifold gasket, because it didn't idle right. I have spent $40 for unexpected repairs for both machines. I consider belts, oil, filters, and gas normall expenses. After talking to my dealer today, I found out that Dixie Chopper is one of the few companys that still is using steel spindle bearing housing now which are also greaseable. I know Exmark and John Deere have gone to the aluminum housing with sealed bearings, which don't hold up in this commercial world like the greaseable steel housings. Another good thing about Dixie Choppers is they have 4 oil filters. 2 for the hydraulics and 2 for the motor. 1 is a Amesoil bypass filter that filters down to 1 micron. They also have two oil coolers and a hand clutch, which is almost unbreakable. If you want to see what kind of a job they do, check out the pictures on my website. They don't cost much more than the others and they are VERY dependable. I also like the fact that they have stainless steel fenders and foot deck, so they don't rust. They are the only company to put on an OCDC. Operator Controled Discharge Chute. Both of my machines still run and operate like new and my next new machine will be another Dixie Chopper. :)<p>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html

HOMER
01-07-2000, 04:21 PM
CHOPPERS RULE!!!!!!!!! I OWN A 48&quot; SCAG SUPER Z, A 50&quot; D.C FLATLANDER, AND A 72&quot; D.C. CITY SLICKER. IF YOU WANT TO GET SOME WORK DONE DIXIE CHOPPER IS THE WAY TO GO. WITH A BLADE TIP SPEED OF 19,000 FPM, THE FASTEST IN THE INDUSTRY AND GROUND SPEED TO MATCH, YOU CAN'T GO WRONG. MY SCAG MAKES A PRETTY CUT BUT JUST WILL NOT HANG WITH THE CHOPPERS. IT (SCAG) HAS BEEN DEPENDABLE AS WELL, EXCEPT FOR A BLOWN HEAD GASKET, BUT WITH ALL THE FEATURES THE CHOPPER HAS THE ONE THAT STANDS OUT THE MOST IS THE DONALDSON FILTRATION SYSTEM. THE SCAG FILTER HAD TO BE CLEANED TWICE A DAY, AND REPLACED EVERY COUPLE OF WEEKS, THE CHOPPERS SYSTEM IS A $$$$$$$$$$$$ SAVER. ONCE YOU USE ONE WITH THE OCDC YOU WILL WONDER WHY THE OTHER MAN.'S DON'T PUT ONE ON THEIRS. SO MUCH FLEXIBILITY WANT TO MULCH, PUT IT DOWN, WANT TO LET IT BLOW, PULL IT UP. BEST OF BOTH WORLDS.

accuratelawn
01-07-2000, 07:23 PM
Here is another vote for Exmark. I bought a 60&quot; Lazer this season. Cuts GREAT, very nibble, and fast. I demoed Choppers. To me they seem to sit too high which would scare me cross cutting slopes. The Lazer can cut just about anything on an angle and does a great job on lush lawns also. Exmark has an optional air filter system similar to the choppers... worth the money. Demo them all...go with what you like. Make sure you are dealing with a retailer that can back up the BS with good service.

docshank
01-08-2000, 03:26 AM
I run a Grasshopper 721D, it has a 21hp. Kubota Diesel, new style G2 hydro system, and a 61&quot; deck. I haven't had any breakdowns with the machine except a steering dampener went bad (miniature shock absorber). Love the machine and how it operates plus have a great dealer. I've also just bought a used Scag Hydro Walk-Behind with a 52&quot; deck. It is a good quality mower, just going to take a little while to get used to the controls (first walk-behind).<p>----------<br>Doc Shank<p>

Turfy
01-08-2000, 03:50 AM
My Skag 61&quot; Super Z didn't hold up well, I'm on the second deck and second engine, plus lots of other &quot;non-wear&quot; parts. The 61&quot; Grashopper 725 has been very dependable. I have 2 61&quot; Skag Turf Tigers, both have had hydro pump bearing problems and a re-design on the steering controls, and castor bearing trouble. I used a loaner 61&quot; Bobcat, the only thing I'd change was the deck height adjustment. FYI - I'll never have another Kubota!

Lazer
01-08-2000, 04:27 AM
We use Lazers.<p>Our dealer sells Dixie Choppers - about 1 or 2 per year. He Sells Hundreds of ExMarks (about 200 including walk-behinds) per year. I don't know why the discrepency. I think Dixie Choppers got a bad name in the late 70's & early 80's when they had their old double chain drive units.<p>Anyway, I would buy based on the dealer. A good dealer with all the parts, immediate service and available demo units while yours is in the shop is worth a lot to our operation. I think that's why nobody uses Scags in our area.<p>As far as the Controlled dischage chute - that is really nice and important if you wan to keep grass out of flower beds and off buildings, etc. We had to custom fabricate our own to fit our ExMarks. I don't know why they don't make it an option.<br>

puppypaws
07-21-2004, 10:43 PM
hustlers are excellent mowers

KUBOTADAN
07-22-2004, 10:21 AM
I have been using Kubota's for three years, good machines. Cost more than Dixie Choppers. i just like diesels.