PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie needs advice

vrmpsh18
09-08-2008, 11:01 AM
I am looking to get into the lawn care business in early 09. Just have a couple questions on equipment, insurance and pricing jobs.

I also do screen printing and embroidering and advertising specialties, but want to get into mowing to bring in some extra cash. O and if you need shirts for you and your crews, just let me know!

I have been looking into zero turns and have decided I would like to get something with around a 50" deck because I will be doing a good bit of residential. I am thinking used for the first ztr, but am open to new as well, if I can find a good price anywhere. Ferris, Exmark, Toro and Cub Cadet are the brands I have had an eye on, but also found a deal on a Lesco because they just got bought out by Deere. Any of these better than the other? Is the Cub Cadet Commercial line worth my time? I was looking at the "Enforcer" with a 48", because the price of $4900 new, sounds pretty decent. Is the Kohler or Kawasaki going to be a better engine for me?

As far as they pricing of jobs go, I was figuring about $70 an hour, does that seem to be about normal?

I would like to get liability insurance to cover my ass, for when anything might occur. Anyone have any recommendations on where to turn for good coverage at a cheap price? How much does this normally cost for a small solo operation?

Any help you all could offer would be much appreciated.

I.M. Green
09-08-2008, 09:41 PM
I would say stay away from the LESCO, just because of the service side of it. Because they have been bought out it is a little tricky getting parts. Everyone has there "own" brand that they seem to like best so just do what's right for you. For me it's Exmark but I have had luck with Kubota and JD also. If you are only doing this part time though and you know a dealer that you can trust then try a used one a good dealer will help you out in anyway they can. As far as Kawa or Kohler I think thats a personal choice I have never had a Kohler but have had plenty of luck with my Kawa's. Hope this helps...

vrmpsh18
09-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Sounds good, I was probably going to stay away from the Lesco, but thanks for the help.

Dingojoe
09-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Check out http://www.sleequipment.com/store/ They have great equipment at a decent price. You can get the whole rig. I bought my first rig there and it's been great.

vrmpsh18
09-14-2008, 01:59 PM
SLE looks like they maybe getting a sale from me when I am ready to purchase. I definitely like some of their packages. Just have to take the ride to TN from MD to pick it all up. Thanks for the help.

I know that there are many factors in estimating a price, but wanted to know if most people charge by the hour or by the acreage. I was planning on estimating by using hourly price. I think 65 to 70 in my market, would be pretty fair. Any thoughts?

J.A.G LAWNCARE
09-14-2008, 02:31 PM
sometimes they dont save you that much money on a package and what about the service after you get it ................

Dingojoe
09-15-2008, 09:48 AM
sometimes they dont save you that much money on a package and what about the service after you get it ................

For me it was worth getting everything all at once when I first started as I didn't have the hassle of finding a trailer, finding a blower, trimmer etc.. As for service I have a Toro dealer about ten minutes from my home, they didn't have packages otherwise I would have gotten everything from them. They will still service my equipment even though I didn't purchase it from them.

ALC-GregH
09-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Where in Md are you? just curious.