PDA

View Full Version : What wild flower Is This?

Daner
09-08-2008, 12:18 PM
I need some help on the identification of this weed:)

also a method of control.......

Thanks

Daner

Daner
09-08-2008, 12:58 PM
It has a purple small flower....anyone?

DeepGreenLawn
09-08-2008, 01:11 PM
I found a weed that looked REALLY cool in my yard yesterday. It had the same oval flower as that, kind of, very oriental looking. It had a bud coming out... but its now in the trash... I felt bad pulling it, if I had time I would have put it in a container and seen what it turned into... the leaves were cool enough I thought...

ICT Bill
09-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Looks like a tree seedling to me, its hard to tell from those shots though

44DCNF
09-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Vetch, maybe.

Daner
09-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Looks like a tree seedling to me, its hard to tell from those shots though

Hi Bill...Its not a tree seedling...It grows like alfalfa and looks similar...also has a purple small flower...I have been looking for It In all my weed books and can't find It

It spreads like crazy

44DCNF
09-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Look above, here's a link....vetch (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/wayne/graphics/eileen/forage/vetch%2520closeup.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/wayne/graphics/eileen/forage/foragepic.html&h=1488&w=1984&sz=594&tbnid=8TPWP86zBXsJ::&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dvetch&usg=__lnzNJO_GhFEIhIPAjwE_mZUf8r4=&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=3&ct=image&cd=1)

go to that page and click on vetch or vetch close up

Daner
09-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Good work 44 I beleive your corect...looks like the Crown Vetch,,,Heres another link http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://extension.entm.purdue.edu/CAPS/pestInfo/pics/big/crownVetch.jpg&imgrefurl=http://extension.entm.purdue.edu/CAPS/pestInfo/crownVetch.htm&h=576&w=768&sz=60&hl=en&start=5&um=1&usg=__2qzZIKyOpja7ppaZptAIP7sAXho=&tbnid=tg6y6SvQxnHoRM:&tbnh=107&tbnw=142&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dvetch%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4GGLJ_enCA257CA257%26sa%3DN

Now next quest Is control of this Invasive plant??

Round Up Is not working...I have heard It wont kill the root

Daner
09-08-2008, 03:26 PM
I have 20,000 sq' of this crown vetch to get rid of and its on a slight slope

I thought that Round Up would kill It right off...and I knew that there would be seeds to deal with as well.

growingdeeprootsorganicly
09-08-2008, 03:28 PM
bill ur thinking of a locust tree,
looks like velch

Daner
09-08-2008, 03:48 PM
I see Its toxic to Horses<-----not good

I need a proceedure to get rid of It.....looks like It may take years...with the seeds being a problem.

What would you do??

ICT Bill
09-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Growing, that is exactly what I was thinking but could not for the life me think of the tree name.

Cover it in 6 inches of mulch and again next year, if its underground it can't grow. If you can find some real green tree mulch it will also steal all of the nutrients for several years

Long term maybe you could plant trees that would shade the area and make it less condusive to it growing

Smallaxe
09-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks Daner,
This plant is a new one on me and this neck of the woods. Just noticed it a couple of years ago and now I see it taking over ditchlines along the highway. It grows in amongst the roots of groundcover junipers and is very difficult to get out of there.

Now that I know what it is and what everyones' experience with it is , I hopefully get to dig out another juniper to rid it from the plantings :)

treegal1
09-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Growing, that is exactly what I was thinking but could not for the life me think of the tree name.

Cover it in 6 inches of mulch and again next year, if its underground it can't grow. If you can find some real green tree mulch it will also steal all of the nutrients for several yearsok bill we have just finished some research about this old wifes tale about mulch on top of the soil stealing N or other nutrients.it does not happen at all, nada zip zero! now if the mulch is turned into the soil then there may be some theft, but that is only temporary. seems that the mulch on top breaks down on its own on top and any thing that leaches off the mulch is just washed into the soil. and anything in the soil is not washed UP to the mulch. there has been books written about gardening with only mulch and several forestry papers about the effects of mulching wood harvest debris. in addition to this and other sources of wisdom, we have mulched our beds and our customers beds for years now with mostly green and sometimes mostly brown mulch, it has never taken any thing away, and only serves to add OM to the soil and hold more moisture in the ground. the new garden is going to have a large mulched area just to show that mulching a garden is the best thing that can be done in a long term setting especially in a no turn setting.

DeepGreenLawn
09-08-2008, 07:33 PM
ok bill we have just finished some research about this old wifes tale about mulch on top of the soil stealing N or other nutrients.it does not happen at all, nada zip zero! now if the mulch is turned into the soil then there may be some theft, but that is only temporary. seems that the mulch on top breaks down on its own on top and any thing that leaches off the mulch is just washed into the soil. and anything in the soil is not washed UP to the mulch. there has been books written about gardening with only mulch and several forestry papers about the effects of mulching wood harvest debris. in addition to this and other sources of wisdom, we have mulched our beds and our customers beds for years now with mostly green and sometimes mostly brown mulch, it has never taken any thing away, and only serves to add OM to the soil and hold more moisture in the ground. the new garden is going to have a large mulched area just to show that mulching a garden is the best thing that can be done in a long term setting especially in a no turn setting.

Huh... I have always been told that mulch stole N... but then now that I think about it, never really payed much attention, when I put that crappy compost on my backyard with all the wood chips, it was green as ever and grew like a weed... the chips were unsightly but the lawn never turned brown due to lack of N, only where the chips piled up and were left....

I know I know, poor job on me, but I have been busy...

44DCNF
09-08-2008, 07:42 PM
sheet mulching (lasagne gardening) (http://www.agroforestry.net/pubs/Sheet_Mulching.html)

Well I got off topic with that. Sorry.

Kiril
09-09-2008, 02:54 AM
Sheet mulching sucks

Daner
09-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks for your tips and coments all...Looks like It wont be a quik fix to get rid of this Invasive plant.

Happy Fall To you all
Daner

ICT Bill
09-09-2008, 11:16 AM
No one mentioned FIRE, that is my favorite :blob2:

treegal1
09-09-2008, 12:29 PM
oh how i wish that fire would work, too bad the took paraquat off the market.lolol, I would start with some garlon and hit it real hard, maybe with some preM, if there is no winter that stuff goes nuts and is a PITA.....