PDA

View Full Version : Tips on staying organized?

greenguy08
09-08-2008, 02:08 PM
I could use any input on this one, guys. Thanks.

Marcos
09-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Start by getting a good nights sleep the night before you plan on going out to do a day's work.

Lawn-Sharks
09-08-2008, 02:14 PM
I use the gopher software and i can print my Route & schedule everyday, I make it a point to print out my schedules and fill out my paper work everyday! And find something to keep all of your business receipts in so you dont lose them, and at the end of the week "organize them" its hard at times but thats what helps you be more professional then others.. Good luck!

hackitdown
09-08-2008, 05:52 PM
I use a spreadsheet with all customers listed on the side, and dates across the top. The customers are gouped into routes. I print a little list every AM of the ones that need to be cut. At the end of the day, I mark down the cuts under the date. At the end of the month, I print it out, and do my bills in Quickbooks.

I do it every day. Otherwise, things get forgotten.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-09-2008, 01:19 AM
As, for my receipts I keep them above the visor in the truck and take them in and throw them on the desk to be entered into Quick Books later on. For people calling while I'm working or what not I keep a notebook on the dash which has what needs to be done in it and all sorts of other info. Also in the truck I have a carbon copy receipt book that I use while mowing, still gets entered into Quick Books, but for landscaping and clean ups and what not I print off an invoice. Kind of a long post but I hope I helped a little bit.

Woody82986
09-09-2008, 01:39 PM
General tips.

If you think of something you need to get done, do it then, and don't wait. Odds are good that if you wait, you either won't do it, or won't do it right.

Track everything. The more you know about you and the things you control, the more organized you can stay.

Keep your office, shop, workspace, truck, etc... tidy and clean. If your stuff is unorganized, your mind will probably be unorganized as well.

I personally try to get everything ready for the next day before I go to bed. That way I don't have to think too much when I wake up.

Frue
09-09-2008, 03:39 PM
1. buy a good software program (lawnpro, my invoices, clip, gopher,ect.)
2. buy a back up hard drive so if your cp goes just buy another cp wella back in business.
3. reconsile receipts once a month.
4. route your work do not drive all over the place amlisley around doing work.
5. do things on purpose not by acident. meaning know what you are doing for the week dont guess things always get missed. witch will lead in loss of greenback.....

mowerbrad
09-09-2008, 08:24 PM
You could also try using a PDA/Blackberry to help you stay organized. That way you will always have something to refer to and enter info into. You can also install the bill software so you can enter all the info about an account on to the PDA do your bills right in your truck.

nobagger
09-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Heres what I did when I first started. First I bought a dayplanner note book, a large one so you can put your customers in the calander area. Put each customer on whatever day you mow them. I kept a smaller little pastic expandable foulder (the kind that have a flap with a string that attatches to a little button). I kept fuel and all the reciepts I needed to keep i there. I made up a route sheet with an area for date, customer name and if you mowed them or not (Mowed____ Did not mow____). Went out and mowed!

CrystalCreek
09-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Although I think technology is great, it is also expensive and can fail easily. I also am a very strong believer in the KISS method (keep it simply, stupid) Sorry not calling you stupid or anything. I found that a simple notebook with the route and all extra's for the day is my way to go. I just highlight as I get everything done. I then transfer it to my so called "bible" at night. I have a folder for all recipts and at the end of every month they are put in an envolepe with a copy of the creditcard transaction sheet. Old school, yes, but it works. Most of my bills are done by hand with carbon copy backings. I can do them in the field if need be without the use of a printer and pc.

My best advice is find what works for you. YOU ARE THE ONE THAT NEEDS TO DO IT. I learned my methods from many people in the business. I than took all the best of the best and used it for myself. Hope this helps.

PS, guys try not to rip on me for being old school. I am successful and professional in my customer's eyes.

Frue
09-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Although I think technology is great, it is also expensive and can fail easily. I also am a very strong believer in the KISS method (keep it simply, stupid) Sorry not calling you stupid or anything. I found that a simple notebook with the route and all extra's for the day is my way to go. I just highlight as I get everything done. I then transfer it to my so called "bible" at night. I have a folder for all recipts and at the end of every month they are put in an envolepe with a copy of the creditcard transaction sheet. Old school, yes, but it works. Most of my bills are done by hand with carbon copy backings. I can do them in the field if need be without the use of a printer and pc.

My best advice is find what works for you. YOU ARE THE ONE THAT NEEDS TO DO IT. I learned my methods from many people in the business. I than took all the best of the best and used it for myself. Hope this helps.

PS, guys try not to rip on me for being old school. I am successful and professional in my customer's eyes.

no riping but it is very hard to hand write 70-100 invoices a month!:)