PDA

View Full Version : new job..

mrusk
09-08-2008, 09:15 PM
I thought a few of you might be interested in my next job.

lawncare18
09-08-2008, 09:35 PM
whats the first part? front entrance signs or areas? nice stuff.. hows the season?

etwman
09-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Ohh sweet Nellie here we go again....entertainment at its best. So wait, let me guess, it'll go for 300 posts, take a little over a year to complete, then get locked just before its finally done. Are you using an interior designer on this one too Matt?

DBL
09-09-2008, 11:09 PM
wheres that big yellow thing you just bought at?

DVS Hardscaper
09-09-2008, 11:36 PM
Matt - looks good so far!

I hope you're only sharing this job with US pros here at lawnsite. I don't wanna surf other sites and see you have the same damn thing posted all over cyberspace!

And Matt, WHY do you have your phone number on your shirts?? Have you ever stood in line at a Dairy Queen and copied down a phone number from someone's shirt?? It cracks me up when people put their phone #s on their shirts!!!! With your number visible, BELLA will be calling you to say "sleep tight sweetie, i love you"!

DVS Hardscaper
09-09-2008, 11:37 PM
Ohh sweet Nellie here we go again....entertainment at its best. So wait, let me guess, it'll go for 300 posts, take a little over a year to complete, then get locked just before its finally done. Are you using an interior designer on this one too Matt?

Too funny ETW!

mrusk
09-09-2008, 11:51 PM

A year to complete? You joking? Its a 3 week project? No designer on this one except me.

Whats the entertainment? The fact that I am able to build more then just ep henry paver patios?

I don't even have any subs on this job besides the electrician for the pillar lights!

I think its funny you guys try to find things to take shots at me for. When you should just be complementing me on my pillars!

And we did not need the pc150 on this job.

DVS Hardscaper
09-09-2008, 11:58 PM
from what i can tell by the far angle of the photograghy (you really need to get a REAL camera with a wide angle lens), the pillars do look good.

Welp, it's almost 2300 hrs, you're probably gettin ready for Bella's nite nite call, now that he can see your number :laugh:

mrusk
09-10-2008, 12:01 AM
from what i can tell by the far angle of the photograghy (you really need to get a REAL camera with a wide angle lens), the pillars do look good.

Welp, it's almost 2300 hrs, you're probably gettin ready for Bella's nite nite call, now that he can see your number :laugh:

I am about to buy a good camera. Could you recommend a good one for under a grand?

Right now I take all my progress pics with a cheapo camera. It gets exposed to so much dirt and dust that I am surpised the photos come out half decent at all.

Hardscaping
09-10-2008, 12:04 AM
those pilars are they just built with the blocks picture there and then parging over that?

What is going to go on there next? I am interested in learning how to build something like that.

kootoomootoo
09-10-2008, 12:05 AM
priceless

are the pics on the atv and birdwatching forums too.

mrusk
09-10-2008, 12:06 AM
those pilars are they just built with the blocks picture there and then parging over that?

What is going to go on there next? I am interested in learning how to build something like that.

I am glad to see you asking questions before trying to just do something.

These pillars are built o a 12" concrete footing 42" below grade. They are built out of 12" cmu block. Then we scratch coated the pillars. They will be veneered with cultured stone.

mrusk
09-10-2008, 12:07 AM
priceless

are the pics on the atv and birdwatching forums too.

Especially the AL GORE GLOBAL WARMING msg board!

kootoomootoo
09-10-2008, 12:10 AM
Especially the AL GORE GLOBAL WARMING msg board!

thought i saw them there

Hardscaping
09-10-2008, 12:13 AM
what is the reason for the 42 inch below grade? i don't understand that as a retaining wall will only be 12 inches at most depending on height obviously.

Dont want to hijack but if you could make up some suggestions and also some directions and send them to me i would greatly appreciate it.

mrusk
09-10-2008, 12:15 AM
what is the reason for the 42 inch below grade? i don't understand that as a retaining wall will only be 12 inches at most depending on height obviously.

Dont want to hijack but if you could make up some suggestions and also some directions and send them to me i would greatly appreciate it.

Vertical masonry work needs a footing. 42" is the frost line in NJ. If you do do build masonry pillars on a footing below the frost line, they will crack.

Hardscaping
09-10-2008, 12:20 AM
ok i understand now, so before attempting anything like this maybe i should get some answers from local guys to see how they do it so that i can follow the standard for my area.

The work looks good by the way.

Hardscaping
09-10-2008, 12:21 AM
got any Pictures of the footings?

tthomass
09-10-2008, 01:00 AM
Thats some thick stone being put down.

Why use real stone on the stoop and fake on the pillar? Budget?

Even Cut Lawn Care
09-10-2008, 01:13 AM
Vertical masonry work needs a footing. 42" is the frost line in NJ. If you do do build masonry pillars on a footing below the frost line, they will crack.

Don't you mean if they are built ABOVE the frost line they will crack?

P.Services
09-10-2008, 01:18 AM

oh who gives a f, tthomas dosent even use a footing so they cant really be that important. :laugh::laugh: *trucewhiteflag*

GroundScapesIncorporated
09-10-2008, 09:20 AM

That would be my guess.

Lookin good Matt

Summit L & D
09-10-2008, 11:15 AM
I am about to buy a good camera. Could you recommend a good one for under a grand?

Right now I take all my progress pics with a cheapo camera. It gets exposed to so much dirt and dust that I am surpised the photos come out half decent at all.

You can find a Cannon Rebel XT for probably less than $300.00. But make sure you don't scrimp on a lens. Get something like a 17-40mm wide angle lens. It'll probably run you $500.00+. Now sure, there are some to be had for cheaper, but make sure you feel confident in what you're getting.

BrandonV
09-10-2008, 05:05 PM

If you have a costco nearby check them out, last year I picked up a VERY nice nikon d80 in a package deal. it takes unbelievable pictures once you learn how to use it.

wcoltharp
09-10-2008, 06:08 PM
If you have a costco nearby check them out, last year I picked up a VERY nice nikon d80 in a package deal. it takes unbelievable pictures once you learn how to use it.

That's a smart man right there! Go with a Nikon DSLR. I have the D40x and have been amazed at the quality and wide variety of shots/ modes the camera has. Whether its the D40, D60, or D80 you'll be more than happy! Let us know what you get.

btw, I think it's passed due time to lay off of mrusk. Everybody loves to critique him and it's been proven he's capable of running a business, so hopefully we won't have to read to many more of those posts. just my .02

Hardscaping
09-10-2008, 07:47 PM

I think it is not hard to comprehend that he meant to say if you don't not if you do

Junior M
09-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Man you guys are rough!! We build a few retaining walls, use to build alot of them, and I was going to post some pics if we ever freakn got one!! But I am rethinking it now I dont want to catch as much crap as mrusk and many others have..

and yeah I think it is time to lay off mrusk.. I was looking at old threads yesterday and he had posted one about buying a brand new cat skid and he was NINETEEN!! So he is obviously capable running a business and at that he is really good at it.. and in my opinion he does great work and he does alot of it..

Also how many guys that are his age that own fullsize excavators and are doing as good as he is? So why dont you guys just lay off of him he has caught crap so long on here it isnt funny...

DVS Hardscaper
09-10-2008, 09:17 PM
actually, I do like Rush-a-roni, but I have reservations about him owning a full size excavator.....

PatriotLandscape
09-10-2008, 09:40 PM
I think he is just compensating for something.....

mrusk
09-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Guys the excavator was a good purchase!!!

shethinksmytractors_sexy
09-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Man you guys are rough!! We build a few retaining walls, use to build alot of them, and I was going to post some pics if we ever freakn got one!! But I am rethinking it now I dont want to catch as much crap as mrusk and many others have..

and yeah I think it is time to lay off mrusk.. I was looking at old threads yesterday and he had posted one about buying a brand new cat skid and he was NINETEEN!! So he is obviously capable running a business and at that he is really good at it.. and in my opinion he does great work and he does alot of it..

Also how many guys that are his age that own fullsize excavators and are doing as good as he is? So why dont you guys just lay off of him he has caught crap so long on here it isnt funny...

looks like mrusk has got a new lil buddy...

why would you sub out the electrical on the pillars. that is the easiest part of the job. my little sister could do that. but anyways lets see some more pics.

mrusk
09-10-2008, 10:02 PM

why would you sub out the electrical on the pillars. that is the easiest part of the job. my little sister could do that. but anyways lets see some more pics.

:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

DVS Hardscaper
09-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Guys the excavator was a good purchase!!!

For whom, the guy who it actually belongs too?!

mrusk
09-10-2008, 10:12 PM
For whom, the guy who it actually belongs too?!

DVS A 20 ton excavator might not help you with the fall clean ups you will be doing this year. So I can understand the fact, how you can't undersatand how it makes sense for my company to own it.

Junior M
09-10-2008, 10:13 PM

Well arent you just an a$$...

he probably needed a licenced electrician which he isnt... and you guys freakn pic apart crap that you have no clue why it is that way.. I dont even know why I come to this forum anymore you guys think your own work is just the best ever and everybody elses sucks and always has errors.. HAVE YOU EVER HEARD NOT EVERYONE IS PERFECT!!

Hardscaping
09-10-2008, 10:34 PM
holy, people just look at the work comment and then shutup what is the point of talking off topic?

MRBsx2
09-10-2008, 10:39 PM
As a fellow Mason By Trade i am glad to see some real masonry work goin on out there besides all concrete paver patios everywhere... also Rusk it is nice to see that someone else actually puts in frost free footings for veritical masonry work and dos it the correct way! What psi do you guys pour your wall footings and also what you facing that block with?

Travis E
09-10-2008, 10:41 PM
I'd like to see how you go about doing the kick board per say on the step. I don't know how i would go about doing that. What are the cracks getting filled with?

mrusk
09-10-2008, 10:41 PM
As a fellow Mason By Trade i am glad to see some real masonry work goin on out there besides all concrete paver patios everywhere... also Rusk it is nice to see that someone else actually puts in frost free footings for veritical masonry work and dos it the correct way! What psi do you guys pour your wall footings and also what you facing that block with?

The concrete footing is 3500 psi. We are veneering the pillars with cultured stone.

P.Services
09-10-2008, 10:44 PM
The concrete footing is 3500 psi. We are veneering the pillars with cultured stone.

what does the psi mean?

PlatinumLandCon
09-10-2008, 11:14 PM
Man you guys are brutal. You didn't even give the guy a chance to say something for you to jump on, you just jumped all over him anyways!

mrusk
09-10-2008, 11:15 PM
what does the psi mean?

pro stone installer.

PlatinumLandCon
09-10-2008, 11:15 PM
ok i understand now, so before attempting anything like this maybe i should get some answers from local guys to see how they do it so that i can follow the standard for my area.

The work looks good by the way.

48" for our area bud.

PlatinumLandCon
09-10-2008, 11:16 PM
pro stone installer.

SOLID REPLY!! HAHAHA:laugh:

P.Services
09-10-2008, 11:16 PM
pro stone installer.

good one, i know what it stands for. what does it mean in relation to the crete?

mrusk
09-10-2008, 11:19 PM
good one, i know what it stands for. what does it mean in relation to the crete?

I honestly do not know. I just use what my engineer specs.

P.Services
09-10-2008, 11:22 PM
i would call my buddy who pours walls and ask him but he will turn it into a big long talk about how poured walls are really the hardest trade to learn and how important he is. what a pile.

DVS Hardscaper
09-11-2008, 12:22 AM
DVS A 20 ton excavator might not help you with the fall clean ups you will be doing this year. So I can understand the fact, how you can't undersatand how it makes sense for my company to own it.

LOL - good one Rusk'er!

We also do excavating and install septic systems. We have a house that will be ready for a septic system in November. The only way to access the site is via a crawl excavator. And it's not our first :) Only thing is, I rent one, have no need to buy one!

Folks, it's a tradition here at LS to mess with Rusk-a-roni when he starts these picture threads! No harm is intended. I like Rusk, and his work looks good.

This forum would be boring if we didnt pick on him when he posts his pictures! he's used to it!

EagleLandscape
09-11-2008, 01:11 AM
it means its hard concrete!

I just poured a slab on a $750,000 home, and it only spec'd 3000psi concrete.

3.5k is tough! good going on not skimping on the materials.

Junior M
09-11-2008, 07:53 AM
LOL - good one Rusk'er!

We also do excavating and install septic systems. We have a house that will be ready for a septic system in November. The only way to access the site is via a crawl excavator. And it's not our first :) Only thing is, I rent one, have no need to buy one!

Folks, it's a tradition here at LS to mess with Rusk-a-roni when he starts these picture threads! No harm is intended. I like Rusk, and his work looks good.

This forum would be boring if we didnt pick on him when he posts his pictures! he's used to it!
But if you could find other work for a fullsize excavator and had enough septic work would it not be cheaper to buy one? We are renting equipment right now and if we could find some more work we would buy some equipment...

DVS Hardscaper
09-11-2008, 08:24 AM
But if you could find other work for a fullsize excavator and had enough septic work would it not be cheaper to buy one? We are renting equipment right now and if we could find some more work we would buy some equipment...

No, because we only do this in the direct area where I live for people I know. This is something I started 2 years ago to supplement cashflow in the winter. Usually a backhoe is used for septic systems, but when you have a steep cliff to traverse to access the drain field, you need a tracked machine.

The worse thing any business can do is have equipment that sits and doesn't get used.

mrusk
09-11-2008, 08:32 AM
DVS MY machine was 35k. I need a machine for 2 months when I am on a big job. I have been spending 12-15k per a big job on excavation subs and rentals. I would of spent 15k on the last job I just finshed.

In 3 jobs the machine will pay for itself. If I only needed it for a week i'd rent. But spending 5k a month on rentals hurts.

AJ Lawnscapes
09-11-2008, 08:40 AM
Keep up the good work Rusk, I enjoy your threads.

How did that big job wth 100ton of stone turn our for you over the winter last?

CaliDesigns
09-11-2008, 09:03 AM
psi = pounds / square inch 3500psi concrete is designed not to break until 3500 psi is applied to the test cylinder.

PatriotLandscape
09-11-2008, 03:40 PM
pro stone installer.

too funny

pressure it can take before cracking.

Junior M
09-11-2008, 05:31 PM
No, because we only do this in the direct area where I live for people I know. This is something I started 2 years ago to supplement cashflow in the winter. Usually a backhoe is used for septic systems, but when you have a steep cliff to traverse to access the drain field, you need a tracked machine.

The worse thing any business can do is have equipment that sits and doesn't get used.
Yeah I know all about that... We have repaired a few drain fields on septics.. and that is all we use here for septics are backhoes.. well except us because a skid and a mini ex are alot more productive and all we ever use are trackmachines and they are great on steep terrain and you would be surprised where we have put a backhoe at my job.. But you never said if you did it full time or part time or just for friends.. but since you arent full time it makes sense that you dont own equipment.. compared to rusk where it is actually cheaper for him to own his own machine and do what he can himself and then sub things like electric out.. so it makes sense for rusk in every way..

hey rusk did you ever learn to run the 150?

DVS Hardscaper
09-11-2008, 07:33 PM
We do new septic system installs and excavating more or less for friends. I don't push it as hard as I should. We got into doing septics when my friend built a new home across the road from me. He called 4 people for estimates and no one returned his call. So I was like "ok, I'll take the test for installing septics and we'll do it if no one else will". So thats what I did. This is a mountainous area. The back of his property is so steep that I had one hell of a time getting the excavator back up. Every time I got to the top, the excavator would slide sideways. I tried both pulling and pushing with the bucket and still had little luck. After about an hour....I finally got it on level ground! We then do rough grading with a Case dozer and final grading with the skiddy boppers. I love the challanging jobs, nothing like a $12,000 to $15,000 conventional septic system!

Junior M
09-11-2008, 08:45 PM
We do new septic system installs and excavating more or less for friends. I don't push it as hard as I should. We got into doing septics when my friend built a new home across the road from me. He called 4 people for estimates and no one returned his call. So I was like "ok, I'll take the test for installing septics and we'll do it if no one else will". So thats what I did. This is a mountainous area. The back of his property is so steep that I had one hell of a time getting the excavator back up. Every time I got to the top, the excavator would slide sideways. I tried both pulling and pushing with the bucket and still had little luck. After about an hour....I finally got it on level ground! We then do rough grading with a Case dozer and final grading with the skiddy boppers. I love the challanging jobs, nothing like a $12,000 to $15,000 conventional septic system!
Ok? When my dad was in business he would have to dig and set transformers on hills so steep we were worried about the oil pressure and rolling the machine when coming backdown.. It was so steep you had to lean forward and hold on to the rops (an old bobcat 331) and try and do everything one handed because you thought your little bit of wieght would tip the machine backwards..

and yeah I love a challenge to!! We had a job in feburary cleaning up alot and our only way in was through a nieghbors lot and when you pulled over the curb the front end on the T190 we went would slam down and your the back of the tracks would come 2 or 3 feet off the ground. the couple times i did it.. (we didnt really use the skid alot on that one) I would have to brace myself against the pedals on the floor so I wouldnt slam against the seatbar..

mrusk
09-11-2008, 09:16 PM
jlm- I can run the 150 okay. Atleast go enough to backfill stuff, load trucks, etc. I haven't spent much time in it. I have more important things to do. I try to let the younger guys on the crew get the experience. One 20 year old is pretty good on it so I let him run it. Alot of the time I have the guy I bought it from come out and run it.

Junior M
09-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Just thinking you might try and find a little stump removal job over the winter that there isnt a big rush on, of course when you arent busy, to go out on that would give you hours in the seat and you could keep another guy busy on the skid with a grapple stockpiling the stumps or putting them in hole.. thats what I would do..

Not trying to bash here but I think you should be the one really learning to run it.. I mean when your the boss and owner of the business and equipment you should be the best operator on the job. but in your case that isnt true but I think you should put a little more effort forward to learn to run it..

oh yeah I meant to ask are you used to running deere controls?

P.Services
09-11-2008, 10:12 PM
i dont agree, hes never going to be the one running it to get the job done and make the money so i dont see the need in being a pro on it. but you should (im sure you do) know enough to be able to tell them what to do and what not to do.

Hollowellreid
09-11-2008, 10:27 PM
The boss man here can basically run the equipment but that's about it.

We try to keep him from coming to the jobs, he tends to just run into stuff and cause things to go backwards rather than forward.

mrusk
09-11-2008, 10:33 PM
It would be impossible to be the best in my company in everything we do. I'd have to be a expert mason, carpenter, paver layer, operator, mechanic, etc!

I do enjoy running the machine. If I were persuing excavation jobs i'd proably run it more. But the way we use it, if I was the main operator it would affect other parts of my business.

Hardscaping
09-11-2008, 10:48 PM
this is true the operator should be the best at running the equipment that is why you hire them as an OPERATOR and pay them more to run a machine that others don't know how to use. I agree you should be able to use your own equipment but you don't need to be an expert on them, as long as you know enough to tell if the guy you are interviewing knows his stuff.

Junior M
09-11-2008, 11:04 PM
i dont agree, hes never going to be the one running it to get the job done and make the money so i dont see the need in being a pro on it. but you should (im sure you do) know enough to be able to tell them what to do and what not to do.
I didnt mean it like the best ever, I didnt explain it right.. I mean more like what picasso said.. he knows how to do stuff in a more productive way and can just show up on a job and say hey try it this way and it is alot more productive... Like I said I didnt explain it right..

And the only way you could be the best operator if you start like I am starting out.. you are the owner operator and you have alot of time to get better and you have no choice but to get good at it..

But sorry for the misunderstand I do that alot I type it one way and it doesnt quite explain what I mean and you guys dont get what I am actually saying..

shovelracer
09-11-2008, 11:29 PM

Every state is different. In NJ it is highly illegal to do that without being licensed. Heck they are even having problems with low voltage lighting if it hasnt been changed yet.

Yes electrical is pretty easy, but the proper techniques are why you pay the big bucks. I rewired my whole house last year and saved over 15K. It was a huge learning curve, and I had to redo the first room I did, but I had a knowledge of DC electric going in so AC wasnt much different. Anyways like I said you have to hire a licensed electrician if it isnt your house. Not sure Matt's insurance company would like his masons doing it.

I think I know where this job is. You guys dont work a minute past 5 do you. Ive seen a lot of hacks come out of that road. Glad to see something go right up there. A lot of dreams have been crushed up on that mountain.

iowa
09-12-2008, 01:13 AM
the psi in concrete is the amount of pressure it can withstand before failing. 4000 mix is the norm up here.

P.Services
09-12-2008, 01:18 AM
how do they change the psi? what ag they use, how much portland, fiber?

mrusk
09-12-2008, 07:22 AM
Every state is different. In NJ it is highly illegal to do that without being licensed. Heck they are even having problems with low voltage lighting if it hasnt been changed yet.

Yes electrical is pretty easy, but the proper techniques are why you pay the big bucks. I rewired my whole house last year and saved over 15K. It was a huge learning curve, and I had to redo the first room I did, but I had a knowledge of DC electric going in so AC wasnt much different. Anyways like I said you have to hire a licensed electrician if it isnt your house. Not sure Matt's insurance company would like his masons doing it.

I think I know where this job is. You guys dont work a minute past 5 do you. Ive seen a lot of hacks come out of that road. Glad to see something go right up there. A lot of dreams have been crushed up on that mountain.

We work past 5 almost every day.

PatriotLandscape
09-12-2008, 08:23 AM
how do they change the psi? what ag they use, how much portland, fiber?

ratio of portland, aggregate and water. all adds up to psi

JohnnyRoyale
09-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Any more pics of that job-looks good so far!

shovelracer
09-12-2008, 05:13 PM
We work past 5 almost every day.

Everytime I see your truck it is 5:05

mrusk
09-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Everytime I see your truck it is 5:05

All that means is that I go home at 5. LOL My guys work late. I think we are going to have a early winter this year so we are pushing hard.

Infact we are stoning the pillars under a tarp today.

Hardscaping
09-12-2008, 05:42 PM
that looks awesome i def need to learn how to do that stuff. i think i am going to read as much as i can in the winter then i will go out and see if someone is willing to teach me anything about doing it in the spring.

Lawnworks
09-12-2008, 06:34 PM
that looks awesome i def need to learn how to do that stuff. i think i am going to read as much as i can in the winter then i will go out and see if someone is willing to teach me anything about doing it in the spring.

Or you could just hire someone that already knows how to do it.

Hardscaping
09-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Or you could just hire someone that already knows how to do it.

that works, i could get a job hire someone to do it with me and then voila i have more knowledge already. I would have to get enough jobs like that to justify havng someone like that hired on full time.

mrusk
09-12-2008, 07:31 PM
You need to hire guys that are skilled in everything. Pavers, walls, concrete, stone, brick, etc. Top guys can do it all. I don't have a fraction of the hands on experience of some of my guys. But I have a good eye and extensive construction knowledge. Put me and the workers together and you get some nice projects.

Don't try to become a expert at each craft yourself.

DVS Hardscaper
09-12-2008, 07:57 PM
.... But I have a good eye and extensive construction knowledge.......

Matt, would you mind sharing with the class your construction background / resume?

Lawnworks
09-12-2008, 09:25 PM
You need to hire guys that are skilled in everything. Pavers, walls, concrete, stone, brick, etc. Top guys can do it all. I don't have a fraction of the hands on experience of some of my guys. But I have a good eye and extensive construction knowledge. Put me and the workers together and you get some nice projects.

Don't try to become a expert at each craft yourself.

I agree... the talent of delegating work is the key to extordinary success.

How do you get the electrical in the pillars? Do you have your electrician pre-wire and then you put it up through the conduit when you are building the columns?

Lawnworks
09-12-2008, 09:30 PM
that works, i could get a job hire someone to do it with me and then voila i have more knowledge already. I would have to get enough jobs like that to justify havng someone like that hired on full time.

Exactly. Working for someone else is just not an option for most of us... and if you can hire someone that knows how to do it... why even learn how to do it... you probably have better things to do anyway.

Hardscaping
09-12-2008, 09:31 PM
i can answer that one i believe

When building things like this you use plastic pipe for the electric to go through you make sure when putting everything together you put these in and make sure they are at the right depth for example here it would be 6 to 8 inches i believe. and then once the job is ready to have th electrical run through they simply just put the wire in one end and push till it gets out the other end.

Lawnworks
09-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Seems like it good be a b@#$ if it doesn't want to go past the elbow.

mrusk
09-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Seems like it good be a b@#$ if it doesn't want to go past the elbow.

Do to the fact we had to get wire up 4 pillars and around curved walls we had the electrian run the conduit himself and pull the wire before anything was backfilled.

We normally run the conduit ourself and then the sparky comes in at the end and pulls wire/installs fixtures.

cooltype
09-12-2008, 10:34 PM
:weightlifter: oh **** here comes trey smith the principals son

CaliDesigns
09-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Lawnworks, why do you have to beat someone down for wanting to know how to do something. Why is the typical response " hire someone who knows how to do it " One thing I learned a long time ago, was, never ask someone to do something you can't do yourself ! I'm pretty sure u didn't know **** at one time or another. You should give him kudos for having heart and drive! Then we wonder why contractors hire illegals? It's because you are too insecure to teach any of your workers anything.

Hardscaping, tear it up. Put Him in his place. I have your back. PM me. I have this little thing I believe in. It's called "payback" You might be it.

mrusk
09-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Lawnworks, why do you have to beat someone down for wanting to know how to do something. Why is the typical response " hire someone who knows how to do it " One thing I learned a long time ago, was, never ask someone to do something you can't do yourself ! I'm pretty sure u didn't know **** at one time or another. You should give him kudos for having heart and drive! Then we wonder why contractors hire illegals? It's because you are too insecure to teach any of your workers anything.

Hardscaping, tear it up. Put Him in his place. I have your back. PM me. I have this little thing I believe in. It's called "payback" You might be it.

There is nothing wrong hiring people with the skills you do not know! I know the correct installation of cultured stone. You know what though? I suck at doing it myself. I get frustrated and quit. But I know what standards to hold my guys too.

I am big on teaching the younger guys skills. One of the main things I always yell at the foremans for is treating helpers just like a helper. I want everyone to learn as much as possible. If we are laying block I let the younger guys lay block to. They might be incredible slow now, but one day they won't.

CaliDesigns
09-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Amen! mrusk

Hardscaping
09-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Once the tube is run for the wire you just work it through it will go throuh no problem. I have run wire a couple times from a house to a shed. We had to move it and there for disconnected the electrical and to save on costs of electrician we would do the tubes ourselves and then run the wire our selves that way we pay the electrician to be there for like 15 minutes and that is it.

Hardscaping
09-12-2008, 11:42 PM
Exactly. Working for someone else is just not an option for most of us... and if you can hire someone that knows how to do it... why even learn how to do it... you probably have better things to do anyway.

I have lots of time on my hands and would love to learn as much as i can now in the begining of my business because then i don't have to worry about learning alot more later on when that guy i hired decided not to show up and then screws me on a job that i am doing that has a tight timeline.

Lawnworks
09-13-2008, 07:35 AM

Beat him down??? What the hell are you talking about?

I am just tired of the line..."just go work for someone else to get experience and know how".... screw that. Find someone else and hire them! We are not talking cutting grass here.... masonry, carpentry, landscape design are not exactly easy skills to master.

I love to learn new things, but I am just saying the guys that are successful are not jack-of-all-trades.... they have a unique ability to hire the right people to do the right job. Like I said if you can delegate work and build a system to get it done... the sky is the limit. I wish I was better at delegation... I am stuck at three crews. I didn't mean my post to be derrogatory at all...

Lawnworks
09-13-2008, 07:40 AM
MRusk
Any more pics? Why veneer over real stone?

DVS Hardscaper
09-13-2008, 04:22 PM
Scrollin through the some of the posts here, and I'm seeing some sparks fly!

Gotta love the cyber egos! We are some of you behaving like 12 year olds??

Some folks make millions of dollars from doing nothing other than hiring and managing subs to do work for them. One example is the SWIMMING POOL industry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And some folks make millions of dollars from being knowledgebale in all sorts of stuff.

And some folks have the inventory of work where they can employ people full time with speciality areas of knowledge.

Who the flip CARES about who does MRusk's work??

Is this really happening - Folks are in the midwest obsessing over who is performing the various facits of MRusk's jobs???

mrusk
09-27-2008, 06:13 PM
I am sure some of you are interested in updated pics.

We just lost yesterday and today for rain but we should be outta here by friday.

PlatinumLandCon
09-27-2008, 06:46 PM
What's left on the to do list for this one? Any planting this fall or are they holding off 'till spring?

mrusk
09-27-2008, 06:52 PM
What's left on the to do list for this one? Any planting this fall or are they holding off 'till spring?

No plants until spring.

We have the last 2 sections of walkway to do. Point all the irregular. Clean up etc. I still have the front door stoop to do.

kootoomootoo
09-27-2008, 09:08 PM
The wing walls where they meet the larger pillars don't look level...why is that.

akb25
09-27-2008, 11:26 PM
mrusk,

Looks great!

Pass the compliments to your guys, they are doing what looks to be a great job.

Aaron

PlatinumLandCon
09-28-2008, 02:46 AM
The wing walls where they meet the larger pillars don't look level...why is that.

Ohh boy.....

Bull
09-28-2008, 09:25 AM
As usual great looking job rusk.

BrandonV
09-28-2008, 09:42 AM
looks good rusk.

Even Cut Lawn Care
09-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Another job well done, Looks good Matt!

shade tree landscaping
09-28-2008, 12:27 PM
very good looking work! I loe the culturd stone that you used. The stones used for the circle, not very nice in my opion, but hey I'm not paying for the job so who cares. Overall though very nice work!

Baseballer1100
09-30-2008, 12:07 AM
I love how all your threads end up being 10 pages plus in the first couple days....Without a lot of pics.

old oak lawn
10-02-2008, 10:06 PM
your work looks good. show us some more pics when you can. thanks

etwman
10-04-2008, 01:26 PM
"Its a 3 week project" quote by Matt Rusk....September 9, 2008.

......crickets chirping.......

Yet another flawless time managed project. Wait, no let me guess, you backed over the interior designer with your track hoe and the project came to a stand still.

DVS Hardscaper
10-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Ouch!

Good job keepin this thread alive, ETW! Since Rusk abandoned it, I guess someone's gotta keep the view count numbers rackin up!!!

And, OH! ETW - Rusk-a-roni doesn't have time to fool with any of us. He's too busy vacationing overseas in exotic hot spots with the profit he made from that job!

etwman
10-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Oh I have no beef with his quality of work, I think he does good stuff. I just think its funny that he fell off the face of the world again.

P.Services
10-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Oh I have no beef with his quality of work, I think he does good stuff. I just think its funny that he fell off the face of the world again.

i belive he just maid a post over on your thread

etwman
10-04-2008, 10:40 PM
yeah, he's "sniffing around"

mrusk
10-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Job is taking a little longer then expected. The masonry work took longer then expected. That is the risk I take by building complexed designs with materials I have not yet worked with before. But unlike other companies that will take short cuts to make up for extra labor cost we don't. We stay the course and deliver the quality we have become known for.

We man hours for each task of the masonry portion as been logged and we will do much better on the next job.

Here are a few shots. We should be wrapped up by mid week.

etwman
10-04-2008, 10:50 PM
He surfaced and saw his shadow. 6 more weeks of fall.

I'd buy your work. I wouldn't schedule my party around it, but I'd buy it.

Hardscaping
10-04-2008, 11:04 PM
nice job you got going there. hope everything turns out in it. sometimes jobs take longer than expected and once you mess up the first one and sacrafice quality you never do it again after that, just take the hit and do the quality work promised. that is a great way of business and give you even more respect above and beyond the job it self.

mrusk
10-04-2008, 11:06 PM
He surfaced and saw his shadow. 6 more weeks of fall.

I'd buy your work. I wouldn't schedule my party around it, but I'd buy it.

LOL this is the 3rd house on this street I am doing. I told the lady 3 weeks. She laughed and said "I heard I am suppose to double that number!"

I am laying the ground work for a good company. I set out to build high end innovative products. No longer is their a question of if we can build a design. Now the question is 'what is most profitable for us to do in house, and what should we sub.'

For example: I had these pillars and walls blocked up, stratch coated and wing walls cut in 2 days. We then got killed on the cultured stone and caps. While my guys did very good stone work, I could never charge enough to make up for their slow pace. Next job we will do the block work ourself and then have a mason come in and stone them.

Its a learning process.

stuvecorp
10-04-2008, 11:49 PM
LOL this is the 3rd house on this street I am doing. I told the lady 3 weeks. She laughed and said "I heard I am suppose to double that number!"

I am laying the ground work for a good company. I set out to build high end innovative products. No longer is their a question of if we can build a design. Now the question is 'what is most profitable for us to do in house, and what should we sub.'

For example: I had these pillars and walls blocked up, stratch coated and wing walls cut in 2 days. We then got killed on the cultured stone and caps. While my guys did very good stone work, I could never charge enough to make up for their slow pace. Next job we will do the block work ourself and then have a mason come in and stone them.

Its a learning process.

That is one the biggest problems I face, how to keep to the schedule and do quality work that is creative.

DUSTYCEDAR
10-05-2008, 12:26 AM
6 more weeks 2fnfunny

Summit L & D
10-05-2008, 04:44 AM
That is one the biggest problems I face, how to keep to the schedule and do quality work that is creative.

Precisely.

DVS Hardscaper
10-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Job is taking a little longer then expected. The masonry work took longer then expected. That is the risk I take by building complexed designs with materials I have not yet worked with before. But unlike other companies that will take short cuts to make up for extra labor cost we don't. We stay the course and deliver the quality we have become known for.

We man hours for each task of the masonry portion as been logged and we will do much better on the next job.

Here are a few shots. We should be wrapped up by mid week.

I hear ya!

I do not care how long and how much experience anyone has. We will ALL have 1 or 2 jobs each year that take longer than estimated.

You can't let it get to you. I always view it as a positive and chalk it up as a learning experience. Things like this are what make us WISER!

etwman
10-05-2008, 05:53 PM
I know you like to use some subs Matt, but keep in mind the more you can pull in house the better you can control your own destiny and timeline. Some phases, like pools construction, you almost have to sub. Place some good incentives on your own key field foreman, keep the same crew together so they know each other, and you'll hit your project timeline easier.

Another key thing is don't burn them out. We don't work weekends. Our productivity is very high for five days because they know they have two off.

Just my two cents.

LBFmd
10-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Did this thread get deleted or something, my posts are mising?

PlatinumLandCon
10-08-2008, 09:20 AM

Yeah, they do that.

LBFmd
10-08-2008, 10:09 AM
oh, ok.

nice photos mrusk, nice job.

stuvecorp
10-08-2008, 10:42 AM

I thought something was different too.

LBFmd
10-08-2008, 04:00 PM
What happened that they deleted the posts?? I didn't think the inside joke thing was bad?

mrusk
10-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Here are some pics of the deck we are wrapping up on another job.

shovelracer
10-09-2008, 09:23 PM
That is some beautiful wood. 3 questions. Is that lattice plastic, if so why not the heavy duty treated? Second is there any access to under the deck? What's the butteryfly an outdoor ping pong table?

mrusk
10-09-2008, 09:28 PM
That is some beautiful wood. 3 questions. Is that lattice plastic, if so why not the heavy duty treated? Second is there any access to under the deck? What's the butteryfly an outdoor ping pong table?

The lattice is PVC for low maintenance. There is a build in door under the main deck and 2 removal lattice pannels on the patio side of the deck. One is so they can put deck furniture under that side of the deck and the other is to access the drain for the hot tub.

Yes its a outdoor ping pong table.

steveair
10-10-2008, 09:14 AM
some quick questions.

What was the spacing used on the pickets in the railing....I thought the code was around 3.5"? They look a bit far apart in the pic, but its hard to tell.

The gap between the bottom rail of the picket and the deck looks quite large. Again, thought that had to be 3.5" also to prevent babies and 'small' children from slipping through?

The stairs have no railings that meet code. I know that a 2x4" on top doesn't meet buidling code. They need a 'grabable rail' ran along the inside of the railing. Also, because of the width, I believe you would need one on each side?

Has this deck been inspected yet? If it did, and it passed, I am going to have a talk with the building department as I know they would never let that slide on other projects. I have never seen deck stairs pass without a handrail.

Besides that, the deck and the rest of the project looks great. Nice job.

mrusk
10-10-2008, 09:40 AM
We still have a few days left on the deck, so it has not had the final inspection yet. Handrails will be carved from solid 4X4 ipe.

kootoomootoo
10-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Well you see what we have here is a failure to communicate.....

Matt takes credit for "his" deck yet when the flaws are pointed out its his subs deck..

Wouldnt pass code here either ...aint that easy or cheap to fix either...little fyi.

mrusk
10-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Well you see what we have here is a failure to communicate.....

Matt takes credit for "his" deck yet when the flaws are pointed out its his subs deck..

Wouldnt pass code here either ...aint that easy or cheap to fix either...little fyi.

You need to take your attitude somewhere else. There are no flaws here. The spindle spacing meets code. The handrail will be carved from the 4x4s and installed on the 2 stair cases tommorrow. We were waiting on the router bits to come, and they came today.

Koo this is acctually the most flawless thing we ever built. The workmanship is unbeliveable.

DVS Hardscaper
10-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Pavers and a deck? Neither are anything out of the ordinary? Not even catalog material? Kinda elementary level?

C'mon rusk-a-roni about 3 or 4 weeks ago you eluded in a post that your work was more advanced?

mrusk
10-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Pavers and a deck? Neither are anything out of the ordinary? Not even catalog material? Kinda elementary level?

C'mon rusk-a-roni about 3 or 4 weeks ago you eluded in a post that your work was more advanced?

Ummm its Ipe. That is out of the ordinary. Decking ran on a 45 with a double picture frame.

Often good workmanship is out of the ordinary.

I'd like to see some pics of your latest projects. since you have seen all of my latest.

kootoomootoo
10-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Ummm its Ipe. That is out of the ordinary. Decking ran on a 45 with a double picture frame.

Often good workmanship is out of the ordinary.

I'd like to see some pics of your latest projects. since you have seen all of my latest.

I can show you one of my decks from this year...difference is I built it.

steveair
10-10-2008, 09:21 PM
For my own info, I have to see a pic of the deck with a passed building permit and the spindles as they are, because I will have a real bone to pick with the building inspector and town if you have one.

If you claim the railings meet code, what is that code? I was told 3.5". For your sakes, I hope you don't have to move them, because it will not be fun.

But I'm a landscaper, not a deck builder, so maybe I'm wrong. And thats why I don't build many decks, and don't plan too.

I would just like to know for the few times I do. What is the spacing on those rails? It looks like more than I'm use too, and if I can space them out further, I can save myself and my client money.

mrusk
10-10-2008, 09:22 PM
I can show you one of my decks from this year...difference is I built it.

Koo thats what might be holding you back in business.

As far as anyone is concerned its still a Rusk product. I get all the complements, the big $, and the risk if something goes wrong or if someone gets hurt.

I have never had a current or potential client care if I built something myself, or had my employees do it, or a sub contractor. Clients just care about getting the design and quality I have been know for.

I ever never built a deck in before this one, yet the client never at any time questioned my ablity to build this project.

kootoomootoo
10-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Koo thats what might be holding you back in business.

As far as anyone is concerned its still a Rusk product. I get all the complements, the big $, and the risk if something goes wrong or if someone gets hurt.

I have never had a current or potential client care if I built something myself, or had my employees do it, or a sub contractor. Clients just care about getting the design and quality I have been know for.

I ever never built a deck in before this one, yet the client never at any time questioned my ablity to build this project.

On here dude it does matter who built it.
If you cant pass a 4in sphere through the spindles it will pass. Mat has 5/4 board as the rail (now) We can use a 2x4 to pass.

mrusk
10-10-2008, 09:24 PM
For my own info, I have to see a pic of the deck with a passed building permit and the spindles as they are, because I will have a real bone to pick with the building inspector and town if you have one.

If you claim the railings meet code, what is that code? I was told 3.5". For your sakes, I hope you don't have to move them, because it will not be fun.

But I'm a landscaper, not a deck builder, so maybe I'm wrong. And thats why I don't build many decks, and don't plan too.

I would just like to know for the few times I do. What is the spacing on those rails? It looks like more than I'm use too, and if I can space them out further, I can save myself and my client money.

Look at the last picture I posted and compare the spacing to the size of the 4x4 post. They are both 3.5. If you live in morristown why don't you take the 20 minute ride to my job site and see it for yourself.

mrusk
10-10-2008, 09:26 PM
On here dude it does matter who built it.

Yes it says Rusk all over it.

kootoomootoo
10-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Yes it says Rusk all over it.

or You got lucky in one street and stood on the corner begging a guy to build a deck for you.

mrusk
10-10-2008, 09:35 PM
or You got lucky in one street and stood on the corner begging a guy to build a deck for you.

So General Contracting companies can not take credit for their completed projects?

bigviclbi
10-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Seriously his company built it, I don't care who actually used a hammer and nail. Does everyone here lay every paver on their jobs? I doubt it. That being said those spindles are ugly, you should have gone with a black aluminum spindle, it looks great with ipe. Too much white with the lattice and spindles. And ipe really isn't that rare Matt, I see it all the time. Nice work though, and you deserve credit.

mrusk
10-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Seriously his company built it, I don't care who actually used a hammer and nail. Does everyone here lay every paver on their jobs? I doubt it. That being said those spindles are ugly, you should have gone with a black aluminum spindle, it looks great with ipe. Too much white with the lattice and spindles. And ipe really isn't that rare Matt, I see it all the time. Nice work though, and you deserve credit.

Ipe seems rare in my area. Seems like everyone is all about composites now. I just have no interest in working with composites.

The lattice wont look bad once we do plantings in the spring. Right now I can't tell which looks worst, all the walls or all the lattice!

Superior L & L
10-10-2008, 10:15 PM
If Rusks company sold it. Then its Rusks deck.

We build cool patios and design/install neat practical landscapes yet i havent done a design in a couple of years and havent planted a shrub in a long time !!

I hire great!! skilled people to do these things and I help put the whole thing together doesnt matter who "does it" its the companys name on the work

Summit L & D
10-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Matt, for what's it's worth. You spend way to much time slinging mud with the "punters" here on this site. Post your pictures, make your comments about the project and let the guys that want to nit-pick with you go. They don't need answers, because they already know what they want to hear, and you're opinion is probably not going to agree with them. Your work has been complemented by the "best" on this site...and in this corner of cyber space thats all that really matters.

PAPS Landscape Design
10-11-2008, 09:24 AM
it amazes me how jealous some people are on this site of other guys' work, the same guys who couldn't lay 5 pavers in a straight line if you asked them too, yet they think they have the knowledge and expertise to comment on large scale work like this, its really sad.

DVS Hardscaper
10-11-2008, 11:05 AM
I don't think anyone is "jealous".

M-Rusk sometimes directs negative statements to others, and then a month later he'll post pics of work he did that is along the same lines of what he was just flamming someone else for 33 days ago.

There is a difference between "jealously" and makin someone eat their own words :)

I don't get turned on by pictures of a bunch of block stacked in ribboned lines. Even pics of a 3200 SF paver patio are non-thrilling as well. And thats what you'll find on our website!

What thrills me are jobs that contain art, imagination, and creativity. And I'm non of that!! I wish I was! Without any of the aforementioned elements - even if a tractor trailer load of the most expensive wall block was stacked - it's still a cookie cutter job.

Top Dog Pavers
10-13-2008, 01:20 AM
Nice work as always Rusk

stuvecorp
10-13-2008, 02:11 AM
I don't get turned on by pictures of a bunch of block stacked in ribboned lines. Even pics of a 3200 SF paver patio are non-thrilling as well. And thats what you'll find on our website!

What thrills me are jobs that contain art, imagination, and creativity. And I'm non of that!! I wish I was! Without any of the aforementioned elements - even if a tractor trailer load of the most expensive wall block was stacked - it's still a cookie cutter job.

It is hard to sell 'custom' stuff to many customers, you can try to sneak it in though. I enjoy seeing what is being done in other areas because I don't see to much cool stuff here(in my work area).

Tom B.
10-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Looks good! How did the contractor like working with Ipe? It's pretty tough wood. By the way, you never answered my question on another post about building code for stairs. When is a handrail required? What's the max riser height and the variance allowed? What height above the nose of the tread is the railing supposed to be? I hope you answer this time Rusk.

cudaclan
10-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Looks good! How did the contractor like working with Ipe? It's pretty tough wood. By the way, you never answered my question on another post about building code for stairs. When is a handrail required? What's the max riser height and the variance allowed? What height above the nose of the tread is the railing supposed to be? I hope you answer this time Rusk.

For your county:
http://www.colocode.com/boulder2/title10.htm

mrusk
10-13-2008, 08:04 PM

I do not know the awnsers to all those questions. My sub who has 20 years experience , builds the deck to the specifications on the plan designed by a building archeitict with a stong design influence by me.

Good enough awnser for you?

etwman
10-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Any decent GC should DEFINITELY know the building codes and list of inspections that are required of his subs. If he doesn't he is playing with fire.

If he doesn't he shouldn't GC any job.

DVS Hardscaper
10-13-2008, 08:20 PM
Ok, now was the deck construction inspected?

Now if MRusk had a business partner he could pass the buck and do the following:

a) Blame anything that goes wrong on his business partner

b) Blame anything that goes wrong on the economy

c) Blame anything that goes wrong on rapid growth

mrusk
10-13-2008, 08:26 PM
Any decent GC should DEFINITELY know the building codes and list of inspections that are required of his subs. If he doesn't he is playing with fire.

If he doesn't he shouldn't GC any job.

Umm we build according to plan. It does not take a genius to figure out if something is not build to the specification on the plan.

So your saying everytime I have my electrian run a wire for pillars, hot tub, lights, etc I should know exactly what type of wire he is running, how many volts, etc?

Come on. If I knew the codes for EVERYTHING you know what I would be called? A IRC CODE BOOK.

I sub out certain trades because I do not know the ins and outs for codes for every trade!

I think this might be a lawnsite first. Someone admitting that they do not know everything.

And I do know when inspections are required because I make all appointments with the inspectors, and am always presenting during the inspections.

mrusk
10-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Ok, now was the deck construction inspected?

Now if MRusk had a business partner he could pass the buck and do the following:

a) Blame anything that goes wrong on his business partner

b) Blame anything that goes wrong on the economy

c) Blame anything that goes wrong on rapid growth

????

We passed footings, framing and will pass our final end of the week.

I think we only failed 2 inspections ever and they were for minor electrical issues. IE conduit not in trench when inspector came and bonding grid not installed properly.

shovelracer
10-13-2008, 08:47 PM
When is a handrail required? What's the max riser height and the variance allowed? What height above the nose of the tread is the railing supposed to be?

NJ adopts the IBC for the purpose.

NJ IBC code: 1009.10:3 "Decks, patios, walkways that have a single change in elevation where the landing depth on each side of the change of elevation is greater than what is required for a landing ( width or 48") do not require handrails."

Any elevation more than 30" above the grade below does require a "guard"

R-3 classification can have 4" - 8.25" riser with no more than 0.375" variation in a flight.

Railing is 34-38", but R-3 can go down to 30"

R-3 is residential includes single detached dwelling with fewer than 5 residents.

mrusk
10-13-2008, 08:58 PM
NJ adopts the IBC for the purpose.

NJ IBC code: 1009.10:3 "Decks, patios, walkways that have a single change in elevation where the landing depth on each side of the change of elevation is greater than what is required for a landing ( width or 48") do not require handrails."

Any elevation more than 30" above the grade below does require a "guard"

R-3 classification can have 4" - 8.25" riser with no more than 0.375" variation in a flight.

Railing is 34-38", but R-3 can go down to 30"

R-3 is residential includes single detached dwelling with fewer than 5 residents.

shovel racer, another interesting thing is 'fire exits' or whatever there called. Basically if you have big set of steps on off a patio, but there is another exit from the patio with no steps, you do not need a railing on the steps.

shovelracer
10-13-2008, 09:18 PM
Correct, you dont need a handrail. You do however need a guard of some sort to keep from falling off the side. It doesnt need to be a "handrail" it can be a glass wall or something flat, etc. Since this is R-3 we are talking about. This is why you can build stairs into a wall system and usually not need a railing, now if the stairs extend off the wall or it is an apartment complex or public building than that is a different story.

LBFmd
10-14-2008, 11:51 AM
why couldn't you just research the code requirements for a specific job? over time you would then get to know the codes required for your expertise.

NNJLandman
10-14-2008, 01:04 PM
shovel racer, another interesting thing is 'fire exits' or whatever there called. Basically if you have big set of steps on off a patio, but there is another exit from the patio with no steps, you do not need a railing on the steps.

Since I'm going to become a fire inspector I'll check, but I believe since its an outdoor structure the fire code isn't very restrictive. If you want to get complicated you can figure out the seating area, how many people the seating areas can hold, number of exits, width/size of exits, in conjunction with the number of steps. Whole process too it. In this residential case I don't believe its enforcable. If it were a commercial application at a bar or something...different story.

Tom B.
10-14-2008, 08:58 PM
I do not know the awnsers to all those questions. My sub who has 20 years experience , builds the deck to the specifications on the plan designed by a building archeitict with a stong design influence by me.

Good enough awnser for you?

As long as as that outlook continues to work for you. I, however, tend to agree with Earth Turf & Wood. If you're acting as the GC, you should be very knowledgeable of the building code. We've actually won jobs because were very familiar with codes that apply to our work. I'd hate to see something come back to bite you when it could have easily been avoided.

PaperCutter
10-16-2008, 12:21 AM
Around here, if we do anything out of the ordinary we have to show our tables (IBC or VA Construction Code) on plan, or have it stamped by an engineer. So there are multiple layers of protection for the homeowner- what we know to be proper and legal, what the plan reviewer at the county agrees with, and finally what the inspector agrees with. I can't imagine NJ is any more lax than we are here.

As for the sub issue- of all the things to tweak Rusk's nose about? I love a good carpentry sub. I just finished designing an arbor for a project I have going, and the client's in-house carpenter is decent but no joinery genius- I drew in every connector and even did some exploded drawings of the roof. I have other carpenters I work with who I could hand a thumbnail sketch to, and they'd rock it out.

mrusk
10-16-2008, 02:44 PM
After all those attacks on me I thought I would post and let you know that I just passed my final inspection. The inspector is very impressed with what I am able to accomplish at such a young age.

PlatinumLandCon
10-16-2008, 06:19 PM
After all those attacks on me I thought I would post and let you know that I just passed my final inspection. The inspector is very impressed with what I am able to accomplish at such a young age.

Nice work man! Git-er-done

kootoomootoo
10-16-2008, 06:45 PM
But Matt you hired a contractor to do the same job the homeowner would have done hiring the same guy......and how do we know they didnt....and you openly have said you have no clue as to building a deck.....which gets to my point....who takes credit for that which they have no clue how to do.

mrusk
10-16-2008, 06:58 PM
But Matt you hired a contractor to do the same job the homeowner would have done hiring the same guy......and how do we know they didnt....and you openly have said you have no clue as to building a deck.....which gets to my point....who takes credit for that which they have no clue how to do.

Koo I have a construction background. I just do not know the exact measurement for the heigh of a graspable handrail!

I am really starting to belive you have some sorta of emotional issues because you can't sign big jobs. Don't worry Koo, if the rich keep getting tax cuts, you might be able to sign a job like this one day too.

mrusk
10-16-2008, 06:59 PM
But Matt you hired a contractor to do the same job the homeowner would have done hiring the same guy.......

Some job? Righttttt. I guess the world has no need for general contractors.

shovelracer
10-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Most decent contractors wont work for a homeowner that wants to play GC. Very few homeowners are capable of doing so without being a complete and total PITA.

mrusk
10-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Most decent contractors wont work for a homeowner that wants to play GC. Very few homeowners are capable of doing so without being a complete and total PITA.

Thats another thing.

In any project, there are two parts. Design and execution. Without good design, the best execution means nothing. And the same goes for good design and bad execution.

So when are you going to stop buy and check this project out shovelracer?

PatriotLandscape
10-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Koo seriously your a business owner for Obama?

do you have employees? do you take credit for everything they do? I know I do.

We just finished a 300 square wall with 800 square patio. I didn't lay a brick does the homeowner care? No. so what is the difference. reputation is built more on customer relations and quality control not back breaking work and ignorance.

PlatinumLandCon
10-16-2008, 09:45 PM
What's up next for Rusk LLC?

mrusk
10-16-2008, 09:48 PM
What's up next for Rusk LLC?

A few days off.:cool2::cool2::cool2: Next job is delayed a few days for things out of our control.

EDIT
I think I am going to drive to ohio and kick KOOs butt and put Mccain signs all over his neighborhood.

EuroStone
10-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Is a GC Licence required to sub work out to other companies in the hardscaping field?

mrusk
10-16-2008, 09:58 PM
Is a GC Licence required to sub work out to other companies in the hardscaping field?

Each state has different requierments.

10-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Koo seriously your a business owner for Obama?

I was thinking the same thing. WTF

DVS Hardscaper
10-16-2008, 10:57 PM
.....reputation is built more on customer relations and quality control not back breaking work and ignorance.

Not really. Hardscape work IS back breaking work. A laborer humping 66# block all day is not less successful than you the owner that has preacher hands.

And the main, most important ingredient to reputation is HONESTY.

Not just with your clients, but with your vendors and employees.

Always be honest to your clients and they will always remember that.

Owe your vendors $35K for 2 truck loads of EP Henry pavers, and don't answer/respond to their calls - you're a weak, P.O.S. in the vendor's eyes. Be honest with them and take / return their calls - and they'll appreciate your honesty and may even work with you to help you through.

Be honest to your m-ployees and they'll be loyal to you.

You can cut a paver in a perfect circle. You can be the middle price bidder. But if your traits do not include honesty - you'll never make it.

GO OBAMA!

mrusk
10-16-2008, 11:12 PM
Not really. Hardscape work IS back breaking work. A laborer humping 66# block all day is not less successful than you the owner that has preacher hands.

And the main, most important ingredient to reputation is HONESTY.

Not just with your clients, but with your vendors and employees.

Always be honest to your clients and they will always remember that.

Owe your vendors $35K for 2 truck loads of EP Henry pavers, and don't answer/respond to their calls - you're a weak, P.O.S. in the vendor's eyes. Be honest with them and take / return their calls - and they'll appreciate your honesty and may even work with you to help you through.

Be honest to your m-ployees and they'll be loyal to you.

You can cut a paver in a perfect circle. You can be the middle price bidder. But if your traits do not include honesty - you'll never make it.

GO OBAMA!

You talk about Honesty but then you make a post that shows the lack of your interigty by bashing a fellow hardscaper.

Then you end a post about Honesty with "Go obama". That makes alot of sense.

DVS Hardscaper
10-16-2008, 11:32 PM
say what??

Bash who?? Where did that come from?

And "fellow hardscaper"?? You write that as if people that dabble in making patios are some sort of a dying breed. Just cause one lays pavers - doesn't mean they deserve respect :) I've heard of catholic priests that do unethical things.

No bashing here! Just stating that a key ingredient to business is HONESTY.

Here is an sentence from e-mail I received last week:
"Thank you very much for the proposal. After a review of the various proposals we have received, we would like to sign the contract with your firm. your honesty and hard work shows that you are committed, even to a project as small as ours....."

Thats what it's all about Rusk-a-roni!

Which, speakin of "rusk-a-roni", I'm flattered to see others have followed my lead and started referrin to you that way!!!!

Welp Rusk-a-roni, call it as you wish. Sorry, dude - The election is over. McBush doesn't stand a chance. Maybe you'll have better luck next spring and your favorite American Idol contestant will win the show.......

mrusk
10-16-2008, 11:37 PM
say what??

Bash who?? Where did that come from?

And "fellow hardscaper"?? You write that as if people that dabble in making patios are some sort of a dying breed. Just cause one lays pavers - doesn't mean they deserve respect :) I've heard of catholic priests that do unethical things.

No bashing here! Just stating that a key ingredient to business is HONESTY.

Here is an sentence from e-mail I received last week:
"Thank you very much for the proposal. After a review of the various proposals we have received, we would like to sign the contract with your firm. your honesty and hard work shows that you are committed, even to a project as small as ours....."

Thats what it's all about Rusk-a-roni!

Which, speakin of "rusk-a-roni", I'm flattered to see others have followed my lead and started referrin to you that way!!!!

Welp Rusk-a-roni, call it as you wish. Sorry, dude - The election is over. McBush doesn't stand a chance. Maybe you'll have better luck next spring and your favorite American Idol contestant will win the show.......

I could careless what you want to call me. My work speaks for itself.

I am sure your honesty will help you sign many more fall clean ups this fall.

I never would of guessed you would be a democrat. That really through me for a loop.

How are you customers going to afford to do a big job when they will all pay more in taxes? How many of your customers acctually make less then 250k a year?

Bush tax cuts helped build my business.

steve5966
10-16-2008, 11:43 PM
I love a good Rusk thread.

It starts with a kid who appears to be full of himself and needs reassurance that he is as good as he thinks he is.
Quickly followed by his detracters, who then get jumped on by his supporters and I get a little amusement.
Keep it up guys, work is slowing down and I need to kill time.

mrusk
10-16-2008, 11:45 PM
I love a good Rusk thread.

It starts with a kid who appears to be full of himself and needs reassurance that he is as good as he thinks he is.
Quickly followed by his detracters, who then get jumped on by his supporters and I get a little amusement.
Keep it up guys, work is slowing down and I need to kill time.

LOL We'd already have 25 pages if post didn't keep on getting deleted.

I am in talks with 3 networks about a reality tv show.

DVS Hardscaper
10-16-2008, 11:47 PM
Rusk-a-roni,

You may wanna take an economics class.

One thing I can ASSURE you of is - no Tax Cut has built your hardscape business. Do you have ANY clue how much of a percentage of a tax cut it would take for anyone to really have a surplus of money to spend on luxery services??

Wanna see what his tax cut has done:

"For the first time in modern U.S. history, the Bush administration has cut taxes in wartime, and some estimates put the final tab for Iraq and Afghanistan as high as $3 trillion, including veterans' care, pensions and interest.

''At some point, America has to confront these fiscal challenges,'' said Steven Kosiak, vice president for budget studies at the Washington D.C.-based Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments. ``When? I just don't know.''

Do you realize that this deficit WILL have to be paid for sooner or later, REGARDLESS of who is in power?? Face the facts, my friend. face the facts.

mrusk
10-16-2008, 11:51 PM
Rusk-a-roni,

You may wanna take an economics class.

One thing I can ASSURE you of is - no Tax Cut has built your hardscape business. Do you have ANY clue how much of a percentage of a tax cut it would take for anyone to really have a surplus of money to spend on luxery services??

Wanna see what his tax cut has done:

"For the first time in modern U.S. history, the Bush administration has cut taxes in wartime, and some estimates put the final tab for Iraq and Afghanistan as high as $3 trillion, including veterans' care, pensions and interest.

''At some point, America has to confront these fiscal challenges,'' said Steven Kosiak, vice president for budget studies at the Washington D.C.-based Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments. ``When? I just don't know.''

Do you realize that this deficit WILL have to be paid for sooner or later, REGARDLESS of who is in power?? Face the facts, my friend. face the facts.

3 Trillion dollar war? Did you get that from cnn or the new york times? Tax cuts increase revenue. Tax revenue would of been alot lower if it was not for those tax cuts.

But anyways, I propose eliminate welfare to cover the defiect caused by the war.

Having a national debt is not a bad thing. Our ND is still at a controllable level. Nothing to be alarmed about.

DVS Hardscaper
10-17-2008, 12:01 AM
Here is what Mr Trump thinks of your boy 'GW':

Property mogul and diehard Republican Donald Trump told CNN on Wednesday that President George W. Bush misled the US into the Iraq War and should have been impeached when the Democrats took control of Congress in 2006.

"I was surprised that she didn't do more in terms of Bush and going after Bush," Trump said in an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, referring to Democrat House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

"It ... just seemed like she was going to really look to impeach Bush and get him out of office, which personally I think would have been a wonderful thing."

Trump, 62, said Bush misled the United States into waging war on Iraq, a much worse offense than a dalliance with a White House intern his predecessor Bill Clinton was impeached for in 1999.

"He lied. He got us into the war with lies," Trump said about Bush. "And I mean -- look at the trouble Bill Clinton got into with something that was totally unimportant. And they tried to impeach him, which was nonsense.

"And yet Bush got us into this horrible war with lies, by lying, by saying they had weapons of mass destruction, by saying all sorts of things that turned out not to be true," he added.

On the race for the White House, Trump said he was rooting for John McCain to win the November 4 election, and felt sure he could overtake his Democrat rival Barack Obama, whom he trails in opinion polls, in the next three weeks.

"He's a very smart guy, he's a tough guy," he said. "I think he'd be a great president. But, he has to be John McCain and he could still probably pull it out.

mrusk
10-17-2008, 12:02 AM
DVS your really reaching now.

Michael J. Donovan
10-17-2008, 12:12 AM
If you can't post without having to "attack" one another or their work then please don't post in that specific thread. Constructive criticism is one thing, but no need to keep this thread going any longer.