PDA

View Full Version : Demolition is fun

AWJ Services
09-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Stairway too heaven.

bobcat_ron
09-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Stairway to hell with all the nails and broken glass wating for you at the bottom though.

AWJ Services
09-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Just say no too tires.:)

I have some pics of the structure before I felled it that I will post later.They are on my camera.This was from my phone.
It was a mother in law suite that was 98% done.
The hardwood floor guys left rags in a box inside and they spontaneously combusted and caused quite a mess.

RockSet N' Grade
09-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Yea, that's what they all say about the "mother-in-law" stuff........."it was an accident".

kreft
09-10-2008, 07:44 PM
That sucks.

AWJ Services
09-25-2008, 03:30 PM
Here is what the original structure looked like.

AWJ Services
09-25-2008, 03:35 PM
I actually saved the sub floor in the back which was over a crawl space.
Not a very good picture.

AWJ Services
09-25-2008, 03:38 PM
Here is the mess that was on the floor.

ccstrebe
09-25-2008, 03:42 PM
It was a mother in law suite that was 98% done.

The hardwood floor guys left rags in a box inside and they spontaneously combusted and caused quite a mess.

I've been in the cabinet business 32 years and four times I have personally seen the damage caused by the spontaneous combustion of stain rags. The worst I have seen was a painting contractors van burned to the ground.

AWJ Services
09-25-2008, 04:11 PM
I would have never beleived it possible.
Most floors down here are prefinished.
Very few builders use floors that are finished on site.

DougW
09-25-2008, 05:07 PM
That's nuts. I've never seen or heard of anything actually spontaneously combusting. How did you clean that slab when you got all the crap off of it?

AWJ Services
09-25-2008, 05:18 PM
The slab has some heat stains so it will be epoxied.
The drive way will be repaired in the spots that are stained too bad too clean.
It was a time issue as much as anything too try and salvage as much as possible.
I used the tractor too clean the debris from the garage and then pushed the rest across the floor off the back of the structure with the excavator.

bobcat_ron
09-25-2008, 06:20 PM
I hope that slab is good and thick, we did a clean up some years ago on a barn that had "heat stains" and the insurance company wanted that floor saved, turns out, the re-bar inside heated up and expanded, there were small spider cracks everywhere, as soon as my skid steer drove over it, it crumbled like plaster. Concrete and heat do not mix, concrete makes heat when it cures (exothermic reaction) but when you heat it up it turns back into it's original state, rocks, sand gravel and lime dust.

bobcatuser
09-25-2008, 07:42 PM
I know what fire can do. Around this time last year I was working at a condo job that had a fire.

I was working with the landscaper back filling allen block walls with my 334. On the day of the fire we were working late after everyone went home, one of the wall builders mentioned that it smelt like there was something burning on my machine. I refueled the machine and checked it over but couldn't't smell anything. I left the site and the landscaper stayed to finish the one more course of block, half way home I got a call from them saying the building was on fire and I should come back to move my machine (it was 20' feet from the west wall)! When I did u turn I could see the smoke.

The building was a 4 story wood frame building. In the 20 minutes it took to drive back the building was fully engulfed and floors were collapsing under the weight of the drywall lifts. The official cause of the fire hasn't been determined.

bobcat_ron
09-25-2008, 08:23 PM
Sucky thing about fire clean up's, the smell takes an eternity to leave the machine.

Junior M
09-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Did being that close hurt the look of the machine any?

AWJ Services
09-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Ron you are right about heat and concrete.
Luckily the fire was mainly in the upper part and the concrete was in good shape.
Most of the stains where from the vinyl siding melting and falling on the concrete.

KCfireman
09-25-2008, 09:22 PM
ahhhh nothing like a good ol' apartment fire. Looks like a 2 alarmer to me. That first fire that was posted i think i read about on one of my Fire web pages.

bobcat_ron
09-25-2008, 09:22 PM
Ron you are right about heat and concrete.
Luckily the fire was mainly in the upper part and the concrete was in good shape.
Most of the stains where from the vinyl siding melting and falling on the concrete.

Lucky, lucky, lucky. :cool2:

bobcatuser
09-25-2008, 09:40 PM
Did being that close hurt the look of the machine any?

These pictures were taken about an hour and half before the fire was spotted.

I was Lucky the fire department kept hosing my machine down. The picture dosen't show it but there is a Hospital located across the lane.

The PC60 parked on site did get a warped panel from the heat.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2007/09/26/bc-fire.html

KCfireman
09-25-2008, 09:42 PM
These pictures were taken about an hour and half before the fire was spotted.

I was Lucky the fire department kept hosing my machine down. The picture dosen't show it but there is a Hospital located across the lane.

The PC60 parked on site did get a warped panel from the heat.your machine would be consider an outside exposure for fire. It was a defensive fight so they are fighting it to conserve surrounding equipment and property. Plus that machine has fuel in it so it would have burned nice and slow.