PDA

View Full Version : found this interesting on government rates for disaster work

Dirt Digger2
09-08-2008, 11:50 PM
i am searching around for some information i need to complete a project here at school...(i need to design an aggregate base for a 66 ton crane) and stumbled across this price sheet....so for any of you guys looking to do disaster work for the government here is what they will pay you...

http://www.ohsep.louisiana.gov/recovery/schedule_equip_rates3.htm

backhoe1
09-09-2008, 12:03 AM
I think I'll pass

Junior M
09-09-2008, 12:18 AM
That is what they will pay for the machine per hour? I think I'll pass to...

Summit L & D
09-09-2008, 12:20 AM
I could see a fair amount being "made up" in Operator Labor cost.

Dirt Digger2
09-09-2008, 12:25 AM
the rates are pretty dismal....but i guess if you are an O/O and need work

AWJ Services
09-09-2008, 12:31 AM
Equipment must be in actual operation performing eligible work in order for reimbursement to be eligible. LABOR COSTS OF OPERATOR ARE NOT INCLUDED in the rates and should be approved separately from equipment costs.

Not really sure what that means but if you pay your operator 20 per hour then add that too the pay scale and factor in unlimited work and little or no regard too quality then I can see why so many people pursue it.

J. Peterson Grading
09-09-2008, 12:36 AM
Ok.

So it flooded here, maybe you guys heard about it. So water goes down leaving lots of sandbags and a huge freaking mess.

Nobody knows whhere to start the clean up. City, County, and State crews start going into the residential neighborhoods to do the debris removal, (Which they should) But business start calling on local contractors to do Their clean-up and debris removal.

A large snow contract of mine calls and asks us to give them a price so "We can get the clean up done ASAP" I bid project. Price is over $9000 to take down Sandbag barriers.
I drop off bid and wait. 2 weeks go by. Call my contract up. They say everything looks good, you have the job don't worry, we just need final aproval from the hotel manager. Go ahead and scedule us ASAP. A week later we call and say we will be there tommorrow. They say. O Yeah, the city is coming to take it down this weekend. I say ok.

Come to find out, the state of Iowa had contractors go in and bid the clean up and recovery. After bids we recieved, the state takes low bidders price. Does the work, and has the business pay them for it. (What the low bidder bid) So State goes in with thier trucks, loaders and get this DONATED LABOR!!!!!!!!!!

They (The City, county and state) Pulled this crap all summer long!!!!!!!! They made Millions in free money from Fema, and insurance pay-offs.

J.

Dirt Digger2
09-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Not really sure what that means but if you pay your operator 20 per hour then add that too the pay scale and factor in unlimited work and little or no regard too quality then I can see why so many people pursue it.

when the contractor includes the final price...(machine and operator) do they do the $20/hour price or do they do prevailing wage?

i know we have done government work before and i get paid prevailing wage...which is awesome..something like $54 an hour for operator and $32 for truck driver...only $16 for laborer...because if that is the case then that $118 for a trackloader for example goes up to $172 an hour...and thats not too bad because minus fuel/use/overhead that $118 is all profit

Dirt Digger2
09-09-2008, 12:56 AM
J. from what i have learned in all my contract and management classes the bid is the last thing the government looks at...maybe in "emergency" type work it is different but the prelim "bids" don't even include a price (for public projects only)...qualifications are judged, and when the "most qualified" contractor is selected then price is discussed...there are actually laws involving this

EDIT: i re-read your post and didn't notice the part where the govt was doing the work but charging the price...yea thats pretty screwed up

J. Peterson Grading
09-09-2008, 01:10 AM
Yes. They did it all summer long. They get to totally dis-regaurd all rules due to the disaster. I am not the only contractor that experienced this either. So I am not an isolated case.

The worst thing is that they didn't even load thier trucks full!! the would put a couch, maybe a sink and a couple garbage bags on a tandem, and off they'd go. God it pissed me off so bad.

Don't get me wrong here. We did get some work out of the deal. We did alot of repair grading work after the "State equipment operators" tore the crap out of everything they touched. But the money we/I made was nothing compaired to what they brought in.

J.

CALandscapes
09-09-2008, 03:23 AM
For whatever it's worth I'm a tier 1 sub (under the primes) doing disaster work (mainly loading/hauling) in several areas hit by Gustav and am earning in the $5 range per cu. yd. of debris loaded and hauled...

RockSet N' Grade
09-09-2008, 08:41 AM
CALandscapes......does the $5yd include dump fees? How far is the travel from pickup to dump. That is not a bad price per yard if they are loading you out efficiently all day long...

AWJ Services
09-09-2008, 08:48 AM
I knew several people in the buisness before Katrrina and the collapse of FEMA I was told then there was no dump fees.Just move material as fast as possible.
They gave you an area and you went too work.
Most guys had single axle 20 yard trucks and a skid steer too load with.
They could do 8 to 12 loads a day with one truck.
I am curious what has changed now.

stuvecorp
09-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Ok.

So it flooded here, maybe you guys heard about it. So water goes down leaving lots of sandbags and a huge freaking mess.

Nobody knows whhere to start the clean up. City, County, and State crews start going into the residential neighborhoods to do the debris removal, (Which they should) But business start calling on local contractors to do Their clean-up and debris removal.

A large snow contract of mine calls and asks us to give them a price so "We can get the clean up done ASAP" I bid project. Price is over $9000 to take down Sandbag barriers.
I drop off bid and wait. 2 weeks go by. Call my contract up. They say everything looks good, you have the job don't worry, we just need final aproval from the hotel manager. Go ahead and scedule us ASAP. A week later we call and say we will be there tommorrow. They say. O Yeah, the city is coming to take it down this weekend. I say ok.

Come to find out, the state of Iowa had contractors go in and bid the clean up and recovery. After bids we recieved, the state takes low bidders price. Does the work, and has the business pay them for it. (What the low bidder bid) So State goes in with thier trucks, loaders and get this DONATED LABOR!!!!!!!!!!

They (The City, county and state) Pulled this crap all summer long!!!!!!!! They made Millions in free money from Fema, and insurance pay-offs.

J.

Someone should get beat for that, or at least go to jail. You should see all the equipment our County has got, very late model stuff.

J. Peterson Grading
09-10-2008, 12:00 AM
ours does too.

CALandscapes
09-10-2008, 01:45 AM
CALandscapes......does the $5yd include dump fees? How far is the travel from pickup to dump. That is not a bad price per yard if they are loading you out efficiently all day long...

Dump fees are paid by the prime.
Travel is 10-30 min depending on where my crews are loading.
For the $5.00 we are responsible for both loading and hauling (we're using Bobcats and 30+ cu. yd. dump trailers). Additionally, each crew must have dedicated drivers for the trailers, a dedicated operator for the machine, and two flaggers..

The two crews that worked today ran a total of 2,000 yds; they each had one machine loading, one had two trailers, the other three... (not bad $$..)

While it's nice to make the money while it's here, I'd still much rather be working at a nice home putting in a garden, patio, irrigation, etc...

ksss
09-10-2008, 01:56 AM
Actually getting paid is what would concern me. Katrina put a lot contractors out of business. It appeared that everyone wanted it done, but nobody was real interested in paying, primarily gov. agencies.

qualitylawnpro
09-10-2008, 09:29 PM
For whatever it's worth I'm a tier 1 sub (under the primes) doing disaster work (mainly loading/hauling) in several areas hit by Gustav and am earning in the $5 range per cu. yd. of debris loaded and hauled...

I have a buddy that worked katrina 3 years ago made $9 cu. yd. why is it less now ?

YardPro
09-11-2008, 08:14 AM
competition.....