PDA

View Full Version : Fake snow :D

DeepGreenLawn
09-09-2008, 10:14 AM
I was sitting here thinking about stuff and got to wandering about this stuff you guys keep talking about... snow... now I still am new at this as we don't get that down here but maybe once a decade so...

I thought that it would be pretty cool to make my own...

Here are my thoughts... I looked up some stuff, sodium polycarbonate? I am not sure on the spelling. You can find it in diapers and it is the little white things you see in planting soil.

People sell this as "fake snow" but I found a place you can buy it in bulk. The problem is that it works GREAT inside but you get it out in the sun and it will only last a few hours. Inside, out of the sun, it could last years, it's the UV rays that breaks it down. It's pretty cool stuff it looks like, it is safe, non-toxic, and bio-degradeable.

SO, anyone else know of a good way to make fake snow that might do better in the sun? It would still be cool to sell to people for events and parties though... probably only for night parties...

hotrod1965
09-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Wow, I never would have guessed this would be a topic :)

DeepGreenLawn
09-09-2008, 10:20 AM
LOL, yeah, not up there right? I guess you guys won't have much info on this stuff...:laugh:

David Gretzmier
09-09-2008, 01:30 PM
I looked into this a few years back when a client wanted a white Christmas. There are several companies in the Dallas, Houston, and I am sure other large cities who do this type of service for folks. But not using fake smow. They use snow making machines that put out 6-12 " of snow on your yard in about an hour, and it lasts as the weather allows. the cost? the guy I talked to in dallas basically said if you have to ask...but he gave me a range. He does no jobs less than 3 grand, most are 5 grand plus, and he has 8-10 large jobs booked every Chrismas eve. It takes him about an hour to hour and half to create a winter wonderland with 2 guys. The machine he uses is similar to a ski-slope machine he bought used at an auction for 69,000 bucks. He claims new it was 250k, but I never checked that out. His is on a Semi trailer, and hooks up to the homeowners garden hose and is essentially one gigantic diesel powered icemaker/blower.

DeepGreenLawn
09-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Whoa... Ummm... I think that may be a little more than I was thinking of. I was looking for a more cost effective option. That would work for something like a big event, I am thinking of like a christmas party and the customer wanted a white lawn but not take out a second morgage for. I could do this, it says it will last a few hours in the sun and then it starts to break down. I could then add a cleaning fee as well... depending on the time of day depends on the price to clean it up. It wouldn't have to be perfect, just don't want the stuff so thick and nasty that it makes and looks like a mess afterwards.

I like he idea, and then there are the snow machines that just allow snow to fall down, I doubt this makes any accumlation on the ground but the effect would be cool.

I will have to do some more research. Maybe have my own white christmas this year and see how it goes before I start selling it, then I can find out how long until it breaks down, how it breaks down (what it does), and maybe do mine and my inlaws to see the difference between night and day.

Sounds like a fun project... should be interesting...

The snow blower (the small one with raining snow) will be a cool effect too with parties. I like the idea and think that it should be COMPLETELY untouched and allow me to be set even farther above everyone else.

hotrod1965
09-09-2008, 04:45 PM
I can't believe someone would pay $5000 to have snow for a few days... For that kind of money, just fly your family up north! People never amaze me!

David Gretzmier
09-10-2008, 12:26 AM
If you look a little deeper, there are machines out there that will create snow for less money...if the weather is right. I have seen a "fan" type unit on ebay for 8 grand or so that can run on 220volts and basically is a scoll type blower with a pressure washer spray nozzel and at the perfect temperature it produces ice crystals. a very small version of what they use on the slopes.

another website sells a sprayer type system that works overnight to do a maybe a 3-4000 square foot area. again, weather must be perfect, and it uses an air compressor and pressure washer to create ice crystals. around 3500 bucks for a kit. If I did this I'd have 2 kits, both electric versions. set up looks like it would work, and it had a weather software thing that I plugged in my zip code and there were 40 days I could have made snow last year. unfortunately, all of them also Christmas light install or takedown days. probably less days the further south from me and more the further north. Since you can only do a smaller area, I'm thinking the most you caould charge is a grand or so. but the system would pay for itself pretty quick and generate a good profit once the equipment is paid for.

hotrod1965
09-10-2008, 10:18 AM
That's funny, up here we spend money on machines that remove snow :)

you need to get a semi truck with a cooling system and just come up here and haul it down south! Then you can sell people real snow.

David Gretzmier
09-10-2008, 11:03 PM
a tractor trailer will hold about 3500 cubic feet of snow. the 3-4 grand setup I looked at made 225 cubic feet of snow per hour. So in 15 hours or so you can make as much as you could haul !

If I was not so crazy busy during December and January, I would consider this seriously as an add on business. I believe that quite a few folks here would pay 1000 or so for a backyard or front yard of snow. For a 6-8 grand start up cost, not a bad return on investment.

DeepGreenLawn
09-10-2008, 11:07 PM
maybe next year...

hotrod1965
09-10-2008, 11:21 PM
If you can pull it off, I would go for it!

cmturner
09-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Hey David I just wanted to see if you did anymore with this idea and if you did how has it turned out. Thanks