PDA

View Full Version : Horrible Tire wear.......

South Florida Lawns
09-09-2008, 01:58 PM
on my trailer. I get maybe 6 (if that) months out of my rear tires on my tandem axle enclosed. Tires are inflated properly, they just get too much scrub from all my tight turns in small neighborhoods. I got 3 years out of the front which to me is good enough.

My question is should I get radials? will i get more life out of them? Is the price difference worth it? I get bias ply's for $55 a piece mounted. I don't wanna kill a set of say Goodyear Marathons and get maybe only 2 more months out of them.

I know I will get a better ride without flat spots and that sort of thing but I don't care too much bout that.

Once again its for a tandem axle enclosed trailer that weighs only 4500lbs with everything in it.

If you don't know what your talking about as far as tires, please save us all from reading your BS and just don't post. Please!

beano
09-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Try rotating the tires, it makes the wear even

DBL
09-09-2008, 02:08 PM
does your trailer lean front or back at all? leveling it out may help one of our tandems leaned back and wore front tires so we got a drop hitch and solved that problem

South Florida Lawns
09-09-2008, 02:50 PM
I just want to know if radials are worth it!

Trailer does sit level. used to rotate them back in the day, but was still having to replace 4 tires a year. Its all just scrub thats why they wear out fast, they are even just don't last.

Just trying to find out if anybody has gotten better life outta radials?

G.M.Landscaping
09-09-2008, 03:00 PM
For me, I ran bias tires stating in 2001. Replacing the rears every year. Then tried running used car tires(Big savings) and got about the same wear. They swayed alot more thou.

So last year I installed a set of expensive radials($400 for 4). Very disapointed. Maybe 4,000 miles and 3/4 are gone. I don't rotate also. This is on my open 16' dual axle trailer weighing 3K loaded.

Going back to cheap tires when these go.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
09-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Yes. I just bought 4 new Bridgestone knockoffs (some unknown company under bridgestone) I believe either 6 or 8 ply radilas. Even after 2 months they still look like new. It only cost me $225 for them and that includes mounting. Make sure you have a commercial account with a tire company, that saved me quite a bit. The origanl tires that these trailers come with suck. I was constantly replacing one at a time cause they wouldn't wear right no matter what i tried.

South Florida Lawns
09-09-2008, 06:40 PM
For me, I ran bias tires stating in 2001. Replacing the rears every year. Then tried running used car tires(Big savings) and got about the same wear. They swayed alot more thou.

So last year I installed a set of expensive radials($400 for 4). Very disapointed. Maybe 4,000 miles and 3/4 are gone. I don't rotate also. This is on my open 16' dual axle trailer weighing 3K loaded.

Going back to cheap tires when these go.

Thanks thats what I was afraid of spending extra and still scrubbing them to the cords.

I have thought about used car tires alot. But as you said they sway more. Maybe I'll step up to a 15" rim and run LT tires.

cutbetterthanyou
09-09-2008, 06:59 PM
I known this isn't answering your question about radials but try getting under your tralier and measuring.I was putting 3 to 4 sets a year on just the back axle turns out from the factory they drilled the hole for the hanger exactly 1 inch further back on on side than the other making the back axles one inch sideways i drilled the new hole and moved the axle forward a inch and it has been alot better now

South Florida Lawns
09-09-2008, 07:57 PM
So your tires were never really tracking straight? There is no standards to building a trailer. Especially enclosed ones. Most are junk out there. Even if they look nice, they don't hold up to commercial use.

Gravel Rat
09-09-2008, 09:13 PM
It sounds like something is out of align. The back axle must have broken center bolts on the springs. If the back axle is dog tracking it will scuff the tires off turning or not because your essentially dragging the tires on a angle.

It won't matter what brand you have or bias or radial and the wear isn't from turning the front axle should see more wear than the rear.

Lawn-Sharks
09-09-2008, 09:14 PM
I switched to BFG radials after less then a year of use on the new tires that came on my trailer. I have noticed less wear on them in the same amount of time. But i don't know how well this will turn out for you because i use a 6x12 single axle enclosed trailer.

cutbetterthanyou
09-10-2008, 07:45 PM
So your tires were never really tracking straight? There is no standards to building a trailer. Especially enclosed ones. Most are junk out there. Even if they look nice, they don't hold up to commercial use.

i agree 100% they are built cheap.the problem i am talking about was, in fact, from the factory. Mine is a pace which i thought was top notch i guess they are more for hauling your race car every once and a while, or moving you sister to a new apartment

GravelyNut
09-10-2008, 11:31 PM
One question that hasn't been asked, dual axle brakes or only one axle? Any idea how many miles you actually put on the tires?

mountainlake
09-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Just take a tape and measure between the rims on both sides, there should be no more than 1/8" difference, being a old trucker I found out that axle spacing makes a lot of difference. Steve

South Florida Lawns
09-12-2008, 01:44 AM
Dual brakes front and rear axle. When I make a turn there are always 2 black marks. I can see on the tires scraping marks from side to side just after a sharp turn.

GravelRat The back tires have more wear because they drag the most side to side in a turn while traveling forward, but the front just kinda pivot in one place.

Everything checks out and is aligned. Got no idea tire millage.

Oh its a leaf sprung trailer too. I see guys are getting like 3 months on tires at the nursery that I go to. Some of those companies drive a ton more than I do. I talked to one LCO owner and he gets the cheapest tire even used.

I'll get pics tomorrow!

Luvs2Play
09-12-2008, 01:53 AM
I have one with leafs and one with torsions. I have noticed that the axles are farther apart on the trailer with leaf springs, causing the rears to wear faster than the torsions. I have gone to ST tires on both trailers, they are radials with a harder compound. I have gotten nearly twice the time on them as the car tires I used to use. I get them for about $90. apeice mounted. I also had them both aligned.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
09-12-2008, 11:30 AM
get good used tires for $20 last about the same as the $80 GET SPARE that way you are ready ..............

jkilov
09-12-2008, 06:27 PM
I second that. They build them like lumber wagons. Don't even check the tracking off the line. And who does the wiring one these? I must have seen like hundreds of poorly ground-wired trailers on the road. Turn the indicator and everything blinks. Oh and the springs are too stiff, even fully loaded they don't travel as much as one would expect.

The rear axle does wear a bit faster. I keep them at a bit lower pressure and rotate every now and then.

ffemt1271
09-12-2008, 07:04 PM
go to a LT tire

ffemt1271
09-12-2008, 07:06 PM
go to a LT tire that will help your situation, it did mine, also put a level on your tires on the outside and make sure on of the axles is not out of whack

ed2hess
09-12-2008, 08:47 PM
The local trailer rental can usually give you the best advise on what kind of tires to use for you area. I don't know the brand they use but they look like truck tires and i seldom see the kind of wear that I see in radial. I switched back to car tires but they wear also just a little bit cheaper.

South Florida Lawns
09-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Well today I was traveling down the road and all of a sudden BUMP BUMP BUMP looked in my mirror FLAT TIRE so I said to myself "your gonna hold together and get me to my next account". You know what it did. I got out looked expecting a mangled tire but all I saw was a big hole, tire held together. Thats those beefy side walls of the Bias Ply.

GravelyNut
09-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Here's something that may sound wrong but needs checking. Are you carrying enough weight on the rear tires? With nose high tandem axle trailers, the fronts tend to wear the most. With trailers that are tail high, the rears wear more. with level trailers, it depends on axle loading as to which scrub more. And also how far back the axles are from the tongue in comparison with the turning radius. That's part of the reason why single axles are better for in town use, as compared to dual axles on the highways.

I just put over 2500 miles on a tandem axle with ST 205-15 Load Star tires and the nubs are the only thing that showed wear. Weight of trailer northbound was over 5K. Southbound it was about 2500. Next load north I'd like to hit 6K.

As a short term test, can you raise the tongue one bolt hole on an adjustable hitch? Or move a little of the weight to the rear? Or both so the tongue load stays the same? And then let us know the results.

02DURAMAX
09-13-2008, 01:37 AM
I have radials on my trailer from new and pull it everyday..Since april loaded 5000lbs and the tires still look new!

naughty62
09-13-2008, 09:35 AM
Best tires I have sceen are trailer kings. most are 6 ply/10 ply rated .Common on new trailers .I have also seen a few axles improperly mounted .Pull a tape from pull point to backer plate or simular .there is a few new trailers that axles are mounted very poorly .not mention spacing on equalizer suspension .

South Florida Lawns
09-14-2008, 04:02 PM
I think I have narrowed it down to the location of the axles on my trailer. I think that because they are leaf sprung that they are spaced further together. I also believe that the back axle could be a little too far back on the trailer. causing excessive tire scrub in the back.

I have played around with how I have the load sitting in my trailer and it doesn't seem to matter. I have my trailer sitting almost perfectly level too. Guess I will just have to live with poor tire wear.

I think I'm gonna stick with bias ply tires as they held together great even when it went flat going down the road (didn't rip up the fenders or shred to pieces). I might try out the trailer king tires too.

DLCS
09-14-2008, 05:40 PM
I have the same problem but the last set of tires I put on the rear axle are the trailer kings. Not sure who makes them but the local tire shop says thats what they sell the most of and no complaints. So far they are the best tire I have used. My passeneger side rear trailer tire seems to wear the fastest. I'm like you guys, I think most trailers are junk.

bigperm
09-14-2008, 08:14 PM
This might be crazy but have you checked your brakes? It might be that your rear brakes are dragging causing your tires not to free roll. Being in the tire buisness I would suggest a ST tire they will hold up better.

newtostone
09-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Anyone know a good website i can older my trailer tires and get them at a good price?

South Florida Lawns
09-16-2008, 02:28 AM
tire rack.com