PDA

View Full Version : Weed Eaters / Trimmers

ScoWa71
09-09-2008, 05:26 PM
I have a couple neighbors that employ lawn care companies, as I watch them weed eater the yards it seems that they never have to stop and adjust the string on there trimmers. I on the other hand have to stop 4 or 5 times just on my front yard to fix the line that either breaks off rapidly or tangles in the spool. I am using the correct size and wind the string on exactly as the manual says to. Whats the secret to lawn care professionals success when it comes to string trimmers?

MnGreen
09-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Might be cheap line or your spool is most likely jammed up inside.
You can get a mess in the spool if to tight or spooled with line twisted all over or not spooled correctly.
Some people bump feed all the time by accident as well which can raise he!!.
Could be a combo of both.

I have (2) Echos that are still on their original spool from seasons start. Only have to really even bump feed but once a day after 10 lawns daily. I might lose 5" a day at best, and never have to adjust any line issues.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Green - what size line you using to conserve so much? .105?

ScoWa - Green is right take a good look at your spool, make sure you wind correctly, and use good line. I use more line than Green does but I have no problems at all breaking line or getting it twisted inside. Just bump and go....

ed2hess
09-09-2008, 10:27 PM
We have used .08" and never had problems breaking it off. It is all in using the tip of the line and not having it too deep into the soil. Sometimes you can get a spool of bad cord from any sounce and then you are screwed. It can be brittle and nothing will make it work. Usually I can do an entire yard with the .095" without bumping.

HBLandscaping
09-09-2008, 10:47 PM
I have my days like MnGreen does where I can go all day with out loosing any string and then I have days were I just can't seem to keep any string in the trimmer. Before I go out tommorrow Im going to check the string to see how its in there. I never really paid any attention to the way the string is placed or who (which worker re strings), But Im going to check and keep tabs on it and see if I can see a difference.

jiggz
09-10-2008, 12:45 AM
I have a couple neighbors that employ lawn care companies, as I watch them weed eater the yards it seems that they never have to stop and adjust the string on there trimmers. I on the other hand have to stop 4 or 5 times just on my front yard to fix the line that either breaks off rapidly or tangles in the spool. I am using the correct size and wind the string on exactly as the manual says to. Whats the secret to lawn care professionals success when it comes to string trimmers?

they using commercial quality equipment, and your not lol

thats it

MnGreen
09-10-2008, 12:58 AM
Green - what size line you using to conserve so much? .105?

ScoWa - Green is right take a good look at your spool, make sure you wind correctly, and use good line. I use more line than Green does but I have no problems at all breaking line or getting it twisted inside. Just bump and go....

DA I'm not really sure whats in it but I think it has that .095 cross fire line.
I know it has a ECHOmatic pro head. On a split boom SRM210 head.
I might open it up tomorrow just to see how close to running out it must be.

Have a PAS265 head as well with a trimmer attachment that has a rapid loader head (2- 8"lines) This still has the original lines on it but has only been used maybe (10) hours. Have my edger mounted on that head 90% of time.