PDA

View Full Version : Arborvitaes burned halfway up???????

tjcezar
09-09-2008, 04:28 PM
We installed a row of approx 100 pyramadlis arbs. the trees are withered and turning light green and even brown at some spots from the bottom to half way up (pretty much on one side of the row), they are also very thin on the bottom. The tops are lush and green. If you look at the row it is a defined line right across the middle all the way up the row. Right after we planted them one of the large spray companies started spraying them for deer. Its been almost a year now and the trees are really not looking to good. Do you think it could be the spraying (that would be my guess). Also my customer did throw some type of fert he bought at sears on the trees but I am not sure what or how much. ANy comments would be appreciated.

tjcezar
09-09-2008, 04:33 PM
here is a pic

sbvfd592
09-09-2008, 04:41 PM
is there a sprinkler that hits them

tjcezar
09-09-2008, 04:56 PM
no but i know they had a soaker hose for watering

BostonBull
09-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Almost looks like deer grazing.......missing branches, spotty growth, etc etc

tjcezar
09-09-2008, 05:17 PM
there are no chew marks or torn branches. some of the tips of the foliage are brown. and it really is on one side of the row

tjcezar
09-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Also what is causing the lower half to fade

BostonBull
09-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Was there a fert or herbicide app applied to that lawn recently?

Too much water will cause this as well.

tjcezar
09-09-2008, 05:35 PM
no the lawn gets no treatments. like I said they do have them sprayed along with other things for deer and maybe other pests. Could it be they are watering too much? Or maybe that unknown fert they through on them? Why would this only affect half the tree though and from bottom to top none the less (not top to bottom).

This is what they looked like when we put them in

turfquip
09-09-2008, 06:31 PM
They appear to have been affected already, in the installation photo. Were they sprayed prior to the photo? This appears to be chemical damage.

sbvfd592
09-09-2008, 07:07 PM
what was running along side them exaust will do that

BostonBull
09-09-2008, 07:14 PM
They appear to have been affected already, in the installation photo. Were they sprayed prior to the photo? This appears to be chemical damage.

I agree! :drinkup:

44DCNF
09-09-2008, 07:43 PM
I suspect the loader running back and forth next to them during the moving of the trees and turf restoration (damage from exhaust).
Does it's exhaust line up?

phasthound
09-09-2008, 08:56 PM
We installed a row of approx 100 pyramadlis arbs. the trees are withered and turning light green and even brown at some spots from the bottom to half way up (pretty much on one side of the row), they are also very thin on the bottom. The tops are lush and green. If you look at the row it is a defined line right across the middle all the way up the row. Right after we planted them one of the large spray companies started spraying them for deer. Its been almost a year now and the trees are really not looking to good. Do you think it could be the spraying (that would be my guess). Also my customer did throw some type of fert he bought at sears on the trees but I am not sure what or how much. ANy comments would be appreciated.

Two things come to mind;

I see no weeds in the much beds, are they being treated with herbicide?

Is the deer repellent only being applied to the height of browsing? If so, maybe it is being sprayed at too high of a pressure & is being burned that way.

Take samples to your Ag. Agent or send to Rutgers Diagnostic Lab. They are fast, accurate & take out of state samples.

tjcezar
09-10-2008, 06:49 AM
exhaust doesn,t line up and the tractor wasn,t used enough to create that. Also it does look like the trees were a little thin upon install but this was where they were tied up and I thought that was just from all of the handling and moving they went through.

sbvfd592
09-10-2008, 08:44 AM
enough one pass will destroy it!! I was on a golf course and they had a large trencher, for irrigation they passes a row of leyland cypress trees 5 months latter i was there with the chipper and the chainsaw.............

Smallaxe
09-10-2008, 10:00 AM
there are no chew marks or torn branches. some of the tips of the foliage are brown. and it really is on one side of the row

That second view shows well the classic signs of being eaten. There are no 'chew marks' and seldom torn branches with deer or rabbit.
Visible moreso on one side than the other? Which side is getting hit with Liquid Fence moreso than the other?

Not sure how your deer population is coming along in PA, but what your pictures show now will be exaggerated greatly by next spring if you don't continue to address the deer problem now. The casual grazers will soon decide you arbs are the daily buffet come snow.

BrandonV
09-10-2008, 03:51 PM
another thought... how well did you have them tarped? maybe wind burn/dehydration, if the tops were tarped and the bottoms not OR if you used a plastic tarp that left them under it for too long.

BrandonV
09-10-2008, 03:54 PM
also as tall as those are, the nursery you got them from might have them spaced too close together and thus the bottoms could be getting shaded out. arbor. tend to live by the old rule "if you don't need it, lose it' and foliage that doesn't get adequate sun will cease to exist.

Michael J. Donovan
09-10-2008, 05:28 PM
I thought this discussion seemed like one that you may be interested in picking up over on our tree forum.

If you haven't done so already, check it out here - www.treeservicessite.com

have a good one :waving:

Tom B.
09-14-2008, 01:18 PM
You did untie the string or wire around the base of the trunk, right? I'd maybe dig one up and make sure it doesn't have wet feet. Is every single one showing these signs?

capetan
09-16-2008, 11:03 PM
how long ago did you plant them ...... iam not sure what type of area those trees are in but shade/lack of sunlight can definitely kill one side of an arbor, it also looks like you planted them very close to each other ( this could cause lack of sunlight or lack of food and water ) ..... did you use a starter fertilizer when planting ....... if you figure it lets know

SMC
09-30-2008, 10:37 PM
What kind of deer repellent was used? Arborvitae only need to be protected during the winter. You generally do not need to spray deer repellent during the growing season on most woody ornamental evergreens.

DouginGB
10-03-2008, 10:30 PM
I know that we ran into a lot of evergreens dying on the bottom this year, mainly arbs. We couldnt figure it out for a while, the needles/leaves were not touched, but brown. After looking real close, the inside branches had been chewed on by rabbits. It was a rough winter, so they got up higher than normal.

jluksic
10-11-2008, 09:45 AM
they are sun burned

Marcos
10-11-2008, 10:43 AM
they are sun burned

Sun burn? Hmmmmm...:confused:

I'll bet'cha a hot fudge sundae there was a boat load of thermophilic composting activity going on in that mulch underneath, even for a short time after the stuff was put down.....and the heat rising up from it, likely did quite a bit of torching!

ARGOS
10-11-2008, 07:57 PM
I know early in this link water was in question, but they sure look burnt by sprinklers to me.

Tarping them correctly in transport, as mentioned by TomsCreek, can leave a lasting impression.