PDA

View Full Version : Another new guy starting out

Jmill88
09-09-2008, 08:16 PM
I know you pros probably get sick of this, but I need help on starting out legit. I think I will probably start out as a sole proprietorship, but have also heard about "Do Business As". Does anyone in Missouri know what licenses I need. Any help on the steps I need to take would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

stevenf
09-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Go ahead and get the LLC not the SP. I wish I would have. here the same price. I will be changing mine In January.

kleankutslawn
09-09-2008, 11:38 PM
every state is different

LBLC_LCO
09-10-2008, 08:47 AM
I'm operating as a sole proprietor in Missouri.

I registered on the Secretary of State website for the DBA (ficticious name). It was quick and simple and only cost $7.00.
http://www.sos.mo.gov/business/corporations/startBusiness.asp

After you register, print out your paperwork, that paper will allow you to go to the bank and open a business account, you will have to use your SS number if you do not have an EIN, and if you are solo, no need really for an EIN.

Then you may need to register with your city or county or apply for a biz lic.

Of course, once all this is done, check around for some liability insurance.

It's true that a sole proprietorship is the easiest way to start "legit", but, there are some drawbacks to it, do your research and see whats best for you.

Good Luck.

Jmill88
09-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Thanks for your help LBLC. Good luck to you.

Dingojoe
09-10-2008, 11:30 AM
I would go the LLC route to be honest. If something awful happens and your company gets sued better have deep pockets, personal assets outside your SP come into fair play. Of course these days everybody sues everybody. I think there is more financial protection in an LLC.

jemvai
09-10-2008, 04:31 PM
I will have my LLC next week. IiF you go to legalzoom.com you can read all about the benefits.
I just started up myself, picking up an New Scag Wildcat 52" on Fri along with a Stihl fc 130 trimmer and 110 edger whoo hoo. I have about 5 jobs lined up just by worrd of mouth. Haven't done any advertising yet or had my truck signs created yet.

Go LLC

tradeyouraccounts
09-10-2008, 10:04 PM
We have set up a few llcís and always been advised this is the best route to take over the SP. Any ways good luck with it.

Your success

Jmill88
09-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Jemvai,
Did you set yours up with legalzoom? How much is it?

Dingojoe
09-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Legalzoom is ok but have your tax accountant do all the work, if you don't have a tax accountant I would suggest spending the money to get one, they are well worth the money. As we are experts in lawn care they are experts in all things tax related. To set up my LLC I spent around $800 give or take. (which is tax deductible!!!)

jemvai
09-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Legalzoom is ok but have your tax accountant do all the work, if you don't have a tax accountant I would suggest spending the money to get one, they are well worth the money. As we are experts in lawn care they are experts in all things tax related. To set up my LLC I spent around $800 give or take. (which is tax deductible!!!)

I totally agree with you , However I found it useful in the beginning stages just to learn about the options.

I to contacted a lawyer and a good tax accountant. and I am waiting for everything to be completed should be within next 3 days.
total cost will be in the 500 to 600$ range.

TCS Landscaping
09-11-2008, 04:24 PM
It's refreshing to have a new member that doesn't ask "how much should I charge?" as their first post. Thanks.

jemvai
09-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Jemvai,
Did you set yours up with legalzoom? How much is it?

No I didn't. I just used the info on ther to read about an LLC. then I contacted a lawyer and a tax accountant that my buddy and his wife used for their two tanning salons.

I don't have a total cost as of yet. I signed the papers and sent them back to the lawyer on Mon.