PDA

View Full Version : Going for broke

Scag48
09-10-2008, 12:19 AM
Wish me luck, tomorrow the boss is throwing me in one of the 400's to load trucks. We have 50 trucks and pups running tomorrow. I have 90 seconds to load truck and trailer and get them gone, sitting at mid box height with a 72" 2.5 yard bucket. Now I've loaded trucks before, but not on a production job with a super huge bucket that makes even a 400 a little tippy. I must've done something right today when I jumped on my buddy's 400 while he went to take a leak for a few minutes, I was just moving some material around after the trucks had finished the day. About 20 minutes later I was told I would be given the chance to run with the trucks. My buddy is a pretty good hoe hand and said this job is his first chance at loading trucks after 3 years with the company. I've been with the company just shy of a month now. Feeling pretty good today. Been grade checking a lot, working with the grade engineer quite a bit, learning to read the plans and am learning to run our Trimble GPS system. Hope everyone is having a good week.

Gravel Rat
09-10-2008, 12:34 AM
You get into a rythm where you flop 5 scoops into the truck and 3-4 scoops into the pup. Just make sure you don't bang the truck with the bucket or spill dirt down the side of the box. Truck drivers really hate it when you bust their side boards.

You have a full bucket hanging in the air where you want the truck to pull under and get ready to dump the bucket to get the truck to stop where you want it. Once the truck is full beep the horn. Some operators are different they beep for the truck to stop and beep for the truck to leave.

When ever I was loading trucks I liked to sit on a flatten mound of dirt so I could see in the box it makes it easier to place rocks etc.

To load a truck and pup in 90 seconds you have to be moving :laugh:

Scag48
09-10-2008, 12:42 AM
Yeah, boss told me if I hit a sideboard he'd throw me off the machine, it's not an option. The horn in the hoe I'll be running doesn't work, so it's a hand wave to get them pull forward for the pup. Kinda lame, but whatever. I've been watching how things work long enough I can figure it out. I think I'm physching myself out, but the bucket is seriously huge. That's the only thring that bothers me, a massive bucket and fast cycle times. I can keep that hoe moving quick, that's no problem, but moving quick with that large of a bucket over a truck is what worries me a little. I'll give it hell, that's for sure.

Gravel Rat
09-10-2008, 01:03 AM
Hand waving doesn't work especially when the driver isn't paying attention or too busy picking his nose.

The biggest thing is getting the load centered. It would be first scoop against the front of the box 2 scoops in the middle and 1 scoop against the tail gate. Always heep up the box in the center so the truck is loaded over the drive axles.

The last thing avoid at all costs of swinging over the truck cab.

I think you will be fine but it will be different from loading trucks with a mini :laugh:

CAT powered
09-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Before junior says anything on this thread I have something to ask him.

Have you ever loaded a truck before, Junior?

And Scag I don't envy you one little bit. I'll stick to 10 minutes to load my truck with my little Deere.

P.Services
09-10-2008, 01:13 AM

And Scag I don't envy you one little bit. I'll stick to 10 minutes to load my truck with my little Deere.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

one more tiny bit of info, if you spill some off the edges of the box make sure to scrape it up before the next truck they will be pissed if they are having to run over mounds and hills flexing the suspension to the max.

when i fall behind loading i just let one truck leave a little soon before the line backs up.

Scag48
09-10-2008, 01:13 AM
Like I said, I've loaded trucks before, but it was always with a 120 or 150, loading 1 or 2 trucks and they run off to dump. This is a huge deal, the trucks are super expensive to hire out, we use some of our own but most of them are contracted. So, it's a lot of pressure to keep things going. Yep, takes 4 scoops to load the trucks, 1 in the front, 2 in the middle, 1 in the rear, totally centered. Should be about as tall as the cylinder tower thereabouts, well, at least with the Sturdyweld and Truckweld boxes all of these trucks run. Yep, no horn is not that cool, I've seen where my buddy will wave and nothing happens. Not the operator's fault, that's for sure. At least I have a CB in the hoe incase I need to get ahold of one of them. Not too worried about spilling a little, even the veteran guys lose a little here and there, no big deal. The haul road is all dirt and we maintain the crap out of it, the trucks chew it up far before there is enough spilled dirt on the ground to piss them off. They clean the sides of their boxes and sideboards before they leave the site, so if I get a little on the truck itself that's not that big of a deal either. Just as long as I don't make a huge mess and hit a truck, I'll be just fine.

I know I can do it just fine, just given the amount of time to load the truck I'll be rushed into figuring it out quick. I suppose that's nothing new, I've been thrown into things I wasn't quite accustomed to. Like last week I ended up in the D8 ripping and barrelling off a bench to a 2:1 slope, hang on for that one.

Gravel Rat
09-10-2008, 01:19 AM
You better get a pea shooter and a bag of peas to get the drivers attention or a couple cartons of eggs. Throw a egg on the hood that will get their attention :laugh:

With a bucket that big the material must be easy digging. Loading with a big bucket is no different than loading trucks with a 966 Loader which has a 3 yard bucket.

Scag48
09-10-2008, 01:22 AM
Nope, the soil is harder than hell, it all had to be ripped by the 8. But once it's ripped, it's pushing into piles. We were far enough up the hole a couple weeks ago we just dug benches into the bank, now we're getting close to subgrade so the dozer is pushing material up into piles. A 966 with a 3 yard bucket? You mean 5 yard bucket? Deere 744H is about the same size, we had a 10 yard truck at the training grounds and I'd get 2 scoops and she'd be full. Loader of 966 size should be running at least 4.5 to 5.5 yard bucket. A 938 is right around 3 yards.

ksss
09-10-2008, 01:29 AM
Man that is fast. I am with CAT, better you than me. I have loaded 10,000 yards with my 9020B this year. I have a much smaller hoe but I would not want to be under that time restraint. I would error on the side of the time limit rather than running faster than your able to run the hoe effectively. If your just loading loose material it wont be as bad as cutting grade and loading the trucks. Remember smooth is fast, find the best stick and arm positioning to minimze excessive movement. Good luck.

Scag48
09-10-2008, 01:32 AM
Oh hey, the hydraulic lever in the 345D is a metal rod coming out of the console, then it's rubber. Makes sense, won't hurt yourself on it coming out, it's flexible. Better than being plastic, it can't snap or break.

10,000 yards? Not bad for the 9020. We do around 5,000 yards on average per day, divide that by 2 hoes, 2,500 yards per hoe per day. That's moving quick. I'll have my work cut out for me, but once I get going I'll be fine.

ksss
09-10-2008, 01:46 AM
Oh hey, the hydraulic lever in the 345D is a metal rod coming out of the console, then it's rubber. Makes sense, won't hurt yourself on it coming out, it's flexible. Better than being plastic, it can't snap or break.

10,000 yards? Not bad for the 9020. We do around 5,000 yards on average per day, divide that by 2 hoes, 2,500 yards per hoe per day. That's moving quick. I'll have my work cut out for me, but once I get going I'll be fine.

Well thats 10K over the course of the Summer, not at one time.

Junior M
09-10-2008, 08:14 AM

I didnt plan on saying anything on this thread other than good luck and that is a huge bucket but since you ask....

I have loaded a dump trailer many times and everytime we ever got a tandem on a job I wasnt there because of freakn school.. But no not with a big bucket either..

RockSet N' Grade
09-10-2008, 08:36 AM
Scag........remember to breath....relax, ksss said it another way - smooth is fast, don't think too much - feel the rythem, have fun.......

Construct'O
09-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Scag........remember to breath....relax, ksss said it another way - smooth is fast, don't think too much - feel the rythem, have fun.......

I agree,try not to get worked up ,start out slow and work yourself up to speed.Don't panic if something happens,be it your fault or someone elses.

Don't let anxiety and panic set in if you can help it.

Every new job or machine you get on the first time will make your blood start pumping.Even new customers does the same!!!!!!!!

I was out of my comfort zone last week,working for new customer that had bought a farm and was from out of state and came to watch me work ! Of course when he got there i was clearing trees along the roadside under and around powerlines on a straight up and down bank,so yeah it was stressful to start out with.

After a short time he stopped me to visited about what he wanted done,told me he enjoyed watching the dozer work and that looked good what i had done.So then things smoothed out,just knowing your doing fine will relax you faster then anything.Hopefully your boss will tell you how your doing at noon break or sooner.

You never look good clearing trees,never fails the trees wants to do it's own thing ,especially when you trying to push a full blade to the pile a 1/4 mile away.;)There's always one that wants to run around the end of the blade on the trip to the pile:rolleyes:

Stay cool and be patient.Good luck:usflag:

bobcat_ron
09-10-2008, 10:58 AM
At least it won't be scarier than when I used the 7 foot bucket on the 330CL this past spring:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftqz-V5Wb6M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvngQvpEido

ianh
09-10-2008, 06:59 PM
'Nuther tip... good habit to get your truckies into is single beep to stop (that way there's never any confusion, 'specially when ya got a few lined up) and double beep to go.

bobcat_ron
09-10-2008, 09:42 PM
'Nuther tip... good habit to get your truckies into is single beep to stop (that way there's never any confusion, 'specially when ya got a few lined up) and double beep to go.

Big brother was feeling "horny".

I used to have the nick-name of "sideboards", I'd clip a trucks side boards if they didn't here my beep or me flipping them off after I loaded them.

Aaahhhh, good times, good times.

Junior M
09-10-2008, 09:49 PM
great video's as usual ron.. Btw whats with dumping gravel on the side of the truck? I thought that was a no-no.. ahh who am i kidding since when do you follow rules.. like for example you getting banned from the heavy equipment forum... :laugh: just messing with you..

kreft
09-10-2008, 10:43 PM
we need pictures scag :)

bobcat_ron
09-10-2008, 10:51 PM
great video's as usual ron.. Btw whats with dumping gravel on the side of the truck? I thought that was a no-no.. ahh who am i kidding since when do you follow rules.. like for example you getting banned from the heavy equipment forum... :laugh: just messing with you..

7 foot bucket, 7 feet (barely) inside the box, do the math there, jr.

Rear loading doesn't work.

Junior M
09-10-2008, 10:53 PM
7 foot bucket, 7 feet (barely) inside the box, do the math there, jr.

Rear loading doesn't work.
Yeah I understand why you were loading from the side I meant you dumped gravel down the side of the truck.. and I went to math class today so its all good!!

Scag48
09-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Well didn't get on the hoe today. Slow day today for the trucks, I guess we only ordered 20. That and we had a bunch of vertical wall to face, so I grade checked all day today to get that finished. Hopefully tomorrow.

P.Services
09-10-2008, 10:58 PM
Well didn't get on the hoe today. Slow day today for the trucks, I guess we only ordered 20. That and we had a bunch of vertical wall to face, so I grade checked all day today to get that finished. Hopefully tomorrow.

all that excitement and anticipation for nothing.

Scag48
09-10-2008, 11:38 PM
I know, I was ready to rock. I timed the one guy loading trucks today, he was right around 2 minutes on every load. The veteran guy jumped in his hoe for a minute and he got them gone in 90 seconds. If I can get down to that that 90 seconds, I'll be set.

J. Peterson Grading
09-11-2008, 12:18 AM
You loading Bellies, Sides or ends?

J. Peterson Grading
09-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Ok, trucks and pups, 90 seconds acceptable.

wait till you get better then they want to stick you in a wore out 375 with a 6.5 yard bucket, then have you load tandems.

Before I left my old job, I had a 235D with a 4 yard, I was getting 300 load counts per day 5 days a week. All Belly and side dumps.

J.

Gravel Rat
09-11-2008, 12:36 AM
When I was running excavator it took 3-4 mins to load the truck with a 1 yard clean up bucket with 14 yards of material.

J. Peterson Grading
09-11-2008, 12:42 AM
When I worked for PCI, they had 4 375MEs I think 3 of them had custom built 9 yard buckets. we could load a Cat 740 ADT with side boards in 2 passes. I think we we doing that in like 90 to 120 seconds.

I think they picked up a couple new 385s now and I have no Idea what they have on these for buckets.

J.

Scag48
09-11-2008, 12:46 AM
Yeah, just trucks and pups in 90 seconds. Shouldn't be too hard after a little time to get my bearings.

So with a load count of 300 per day, that's a truck every 2 minutes for 10 hours. Gives you a 30 second lead in/lead out time on each truck to get into place and get ouf the way for the next one. That's moving quick. I think we're doing about 250 loads per day on a typical day between 2 hoes. Our biggest problem isn't getting the trucks loaded, it's getting the trucks out of the hole. It gets stacked full sometimes which creates some interesting challenges as well. There are times when the D8 cannot keep up with 2 hoes loading trucks. I was in the 8 for a little while last week and was scrambling to keep one hoe running. The only material I could grab was solid hardpan on a slope, I had to rip it before I could even move it down to the hoe. That was interesting on a 2:1 slope with a wall right at the top. Needless to say one hoe almost dried up but I was finally able to score enough material in about 5 passes to keep him going for a few minutes while I ripped another couple passes. Gets a little stressful trying to move that fast. Rip, decel, reverse, throttle up, repeat.

J. Peterson Grading
09-11-2008, 01:17 AM
Get used to it.

We always used to go for a 300 load count. But sometimes we'd be short on trucks, or the fill would get congested and slow the cut down.

I was on a job a few years ago. I was in a 345me and we also had one of the 375mes on the same site. we had something like 35 to 40 trucks between the 2 of us. the trucks we hauling to a waste area, we were in awesome dirt. (Trucks never gor stuck) they had to haul a 15 mile round trip, and we never had less than 4 trucks waiting at any given time. So we never had any down time, just constant loading. 3 passes, truck drives away. We were loading Sides and Belly dumps. If you had to pee or something you had to stop the whole job to do it, and we didn't stop at all (No breaks) Just load.

I think we were both in the 400 a day range (12 Hr day)

Another thing. About the beeping at the trucks. Most drivers are trained, they know whats going on. once the feel that first bit of dirt hit that bed floor, they will stop. then they know how many passes it takes to load, so you might not ever have to honk at them. But, Its just my experience, and I have loaded LOTS AND LOTS of trucks.

Its the thing I mist most about working for someone else. Every now and then, I think about shutting down for a few days and going to LOAD for someone for a few days.

J.

Scag48
09-11-2008, 01:49 AM
I have noticed that most do stop as soon as they feel the first bit hitting the bed and they're pretty good about knowing when to take off. Some are better than others, just like operators.

I'm down for high stress and production. If it wasn't for that, things get boring and I can't stand sdinking around. Apparently we're not supposed to run across the jobsite, well I do and somehow impressed the general superintendant who is impossible to please, so I'm told, just by moving quick all the time. I figured practically running was required to hold a job, I guess that's not really the case. When he asked me why I felt the need to run everywhere, simply told him I couldn't make him money walking anywhere. I like this kind of work, residential work is alright if I'm working by myself, at least I can set my own pace if I'm working alone. I can't stand getting hung up, drives me nuts to stand around and wait for someone to finish doing whatever just so I can keep working. Sometimes that's how it goes, but I'd rather be balls out all the time.

The last couple days the drillers have been chasing us down the walls we're facing, I've been doing that the last 4 days. Our grade engineer lines me out in the morning and I run the facing operation for the day with an excavator operator. Not that complicated, I'd prefer to do this than run the roller but I'll do whatever I'm told. Learning to run a GPS rover is the best part, some pretty sweet technology.

P.Services
09-11-2008, 06:44 PM
wow man you hit the nail on the head. i always run to when im at work, it really does impress the big man 100% they love it when they see someone that says time is money and i have a lot to do. i find that so many people will tell you to stop running theirs to fire to get to only because it makes them look bad, dont listen and you will climb the ladder real fast. run forest run!!!!

J. Peterson Grading
09-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Scag. remember you are a union operator, don't move to fast.

J.

Dirt Digger2
09-11-2008, 08:05 PM

J.

haha :drinkup:

coopers
09-11-2008, 09:30 PM

J.

:laugh::clapping:

Scag48
09-12-2008, 12:55 AM
Didn't get to load trucks today but got some seat time in the 400 with that huge bucket on there. What a blast, you can move 3 yards at a time if you heap it, dirt slinging machine. Just gotta take it easy when swinging over the side, gets a little tippy with that much material plus one heavy as hell bucket. Pay day is tomorrow, tons of overtime last week, can't wait. :drinkup:

coopers
09-12-2008, 01:16 AM
It's amazing how large an excavator needs to be to have a 3 yard bucket but loaders comparably don't seem that big. I saw the 400 at the north bothell site, the safeway site, thought of you...he was loading trucks too.

Scag48
09-12-2008, 01:33 AM
Yeah we have a ton of 400's. We had 3 400's doing mass ex. at this job, one of them got shipped out to another job and the Cat 345D showed up to demo. Now the underground crew came in on Monday with a 400, 200 with a hoepac, and a Komatsu WA380. So now we have 2 dash 7 400's, 2 dash 6 200's, a dash 6 400 that I ran today, and the 345D. Along with the roller, the D8, and our little baby dozer. We're about 2 weeks from hitting the bottom of the hole, we have about 8 more working days before we get there. After that, time for footings to dig. I heard we might have picked up a new gig in Redmond after this one, all commercial work, so hopefully I won't get too much of the boot this winter. I could do absolutely nothing for 2 months and still pay the bills, but I'd rather be working.

The 400's are pretty wild but nothing spectacular. One of veteran guy has run the 750 we have quite a bit, he said that thing is a riot. I've noticed that Komatsu have less than desireable crowd forces, anyone else notice this? I know, huge bucket on a 400, but it should drag that 6 footer. Even the 200 I run occasionally with a 30" trenching bucket with fresh twin tigers struggles to pull through moderately loose ground. I'd like to run a dash 7 and see if there's any difference compared to the 6's.

Gravel Rat
09-12-2008, 05:00 AM
It sounds like the company likes Krapmatsu :laugh:

The loggers here don't use large buckets on the 350s and 450 Hitachi excavators. I never measured one of the buckets but its probably no wider than 60 inches. They are extreme duty buckets your looking at 3 tons for the 350 buckets and 4 ton for the 450 buckets. Usually what happens is they rip the lugging off the bucket. Buckets last about 6 months and they need a rebuild. One of the contractors has buckets rebuilt using 2 to 3 inch thick steel.

ksss
09-12-2008, 11:35 AM
It sounds like the company likes Krapmatsu :laugh:

The loggers here don't use large buckets on the 350s and 450 Hitachi excavators. I never measured one of the buckets but its probably no wider than 60 inches. They are extreme duty buckets your looking at 3 tons for the 350 buckets and 4 ton for the 450 buckets. Usually what happens is they rip the lugging off the bucket. Buckets last about 6 months and they need a rebuild. One of the contractors has buckets rebuilt using 2 to 3 inch thick steel.

This one time at band camp I was on the saxaphone an...........................:walking:

coopers
09-12-2008, 09:50 PM
This one time at band camp I was on the saxaphone an...........................:walking:

:drinkup::laugh:

Scag48
09-13-2008, 04:21 AM
Got to load trucks today, it was gnarly! At first I was taking it easy getting a feel for that massive bucket. Once I started to get a feel for the machine, I picked up a smooth rhythm. About that time I got slammed with 6 trucks lined up and I ran out of soft material. Then I'm trying to drag a 6 foot cleanup bucket with a fairly worn down cutting edge through solid hardpan that gives a toothbucket a run for its money. Needless to say, I was a little strapped up for a while. Boss said I did good for my first time, I think I was right around 2 minutes at my fastest. Didn't really get a good run though, I was slow at first trying to figure it out, then once I had the machine figured out I got into material that took forever to fill the bucket. So not the best showing for speed, but I was told I did well. Hopefully I'll get the chance to go for it again.

RockSet N' Grade
09-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Scag........a game I play with my self is this. Review the day in your mind and remember your moves. You know what you did, now try and think of what you could have done different to increase your smoothness or productivity. Would it have been finding a spot that was softer to load the trucks out and then when they go, dig the hard stuff to get it ready to load? Dig out where the trucks were to get them closer? No criticism, just review and maybe there are some things there to help. I may even ask one of the vets there if they saw you and what they might have done different.......Glad you had fun, that kinda stuff makes the day go by fast and makes you feel like you accomplished something......

AWJ Services
09-13-2008, 11:02 AM
Awesome.
I would love too get too run one of those machines.
It would make short work of maintaing my pond.:)

ccstrebe
09-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Sounds like you had a good day.:clapping:

Scag48
09-14-2008, 01:50 AM
RSG, that was how I was running. When I didn't have trucks, I was scraping hardpan to fluff it up. I'd also reset myself to make sure I was ready to rock. Problem was, I got slammed with about 8 trucks, got 3 of them filled then ran out of soft material. I typically have only a couple minutes between trucks to scrape hardpan, that's usually enough time to get enough dirt for about 2 truck and trailers, not 8. That's what hung me up. Oh well, boss told me again today that I did well my first run. He did say this job was going to lose some crew in a couple weeks, he did say that he would keep me as long as he could. I may get dispatched out to another job within the company, he said there could be a good possibility of that happening once he was done with me. I told him I'd like to be back with him next spring and he said he'd work to make that happen. Sounded like he'd put in the good word for me to try and keep me busy this winter, however the company is so large that I'm just another drop in the bucket. I'm told we have 500 some operators running around. :dizzy: