PDA

View Full Version : ZTR Wheel Width

bigjimdaddy
09-09-2008, 11:36 PM
I'm a newbe and looking for a good ZTR. Maybe I'm ignorant but isn't it the distance between your wheels instead of deck size that determines how fast you mow? Since you ride in the same tire track, it doesn't matter how wide the deck is, only how wide the wheel base is. Am I wrong? I'm trying to decide if I should get a 60" or a 66" mower but since the wheel are the same distance apart, won't they both cut at the same rate???

Thanks for your advice.

kleankutslawn
09-09-2008, 11:49 PM
please be more specific

cbegap
09-09-2008, 11:49 PM
It may depend on the mower, but the ones I'm familiar with do have the same width between the wheels. What is different is how much the deck sticks out past the rear wheels. Many have narrower wheels with the narrower decks. I like it when the deck sticks out past the wheels at least several inches which makes it easier to mow close to things. You don't have to mow dead on in the previous tire tracks. My 48" WB has a lot of deck overhang so I am off a little on the tire tracks. I personally don't notice a problem with it, but maybe others do.

Richard Martin
09-10-2008, 03:02 AM
I think I see what you're trying to say here. Are you saying that you use the tire tracks as a guide for the next cutting pass? If so, then no, you're just cutting grass wrong. You need to line the edge of the deck up with the edge of the uncut grass to make the next pass.