PDA

View Full Version : Who has a Tanaka extended reach trimmer?

stevenf
09-10-2008, 12:47 AM
I have lower back problems and Im considering one of these. Im 6'2" so I have to lean quite a bit with my Echo. That extra 14" could come in handy. If you have one, what do you think about the power and overall performance of both the extended series and Tanaka in general?

ulbhunter
09-10-2008, 01:25 AM
I have one and like it. I am 6"4" and I no longer have to bend over to trim. I do feel the difference after a long day. The power is fine for general trimming and the motor is quiet and seems to run forever on a tank of fuel.

It seems that lately I have been doing a lot of ditches and clean up type work. I wish the trimmer had a larger engine for these types of jobs. I spoke to the Tanaka distributor about the possibility of purchasing a trimmer with a larger engine and doing a swap on the shafts. They said that it wouldn't be a problem.

This would result in having an extended reach trimmer with a bigger engine for the clean up jobs and using the shorter shaft and smaller engine for my wife when she helps.

hope this helps.

stevenf
09-10-2008, 01:34 AM
Does the extended reach only come with one engine option? How much did it you get it for?

ulbhunter
09-11-2008, 12:10 AM
I do believe that Tanaka has plans to come out with an extended reach trimmer with a larger engine not sure when tho.

Not sure on what I paid for it as I had a new carb installed on a kohler at the same time. I do remember that it was 20% off cost (not retail) . The shop that I bought it at is hispanic owned and 99% of their customers are hispanic. The owner said that he screwed up had ordered two and both were still for sale. I got one and the other is probably still collecting dust on the showroom. His customers (ie hispanics), tipically are not tall enough to make use of the extended length. I would have bought the other but none of my helpers are anywhere near 6"+.
I think I paid around $289 just not sure. It was less than $300 and I can dig up the reciept if you want me to.

stevenf
09-11-2008, 12:44 AM
No, Thanks though. Under $300.00 is enough for me to buy it lol. Im just pissed I paid around the same for my Echo last year and I really need a longer one.