PDA

View Full Version : edging around trees with mulch?

txnbygod
09-10-2008, 01:54 AM
several of my newer accts are in a new developement that has new trees planted along the curbs and common areas.

they have been mulched in about a 3 foot diameter around and always have bermuda creeping into the mulch

i have a hard time just trying to get a even circular shape with my string trimmer. lol. i have a stick edger. does that work any better?

what is the best method to get a deep, clean, circular edge around these plantings? whoever does the common areas does a nice job and keeps that dang bermuda out of there. am i stuck with getting down on my knees and weeding them every week?

tamadrummer
09-10-2008, 02:00 AM
Edge with your edger! It will make a huge difference. Just be careful not to make your circles wider and wider each week by cutting the sod back too much. (Lesson learned a couple of years ago)

Trenchblade
09-11-2008, 08:18 AM
several of my newer accts are in a new developement that has new trees planted along the curbs and common areas.

they have been mulched in about a 3 foot diameter around and always have bermuda creeping into the mulch

i have a hard time just trying to get a even circular shape with my string trimmer. lol. i have a stick edger. does that work any better?

what is the best method to get a deep, clean, circular edge around these plantings? whoever does the common areas does a nice job and keeps that dang bermuda out of there. am i stuck with getting down on my knees and weeding them every week?

You should try a trenchblade to to your tree rings with. It will help keep the mulch in the rings.

naturescape
09-11-2008, 08:28 AM
The Edgit is the BEST way to do what you want to do. It is the best application for it.

ALC-GregH
09-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Edgit....

I'm thinking the Trench blade will stir up to much dirt and get mixed in the mulch but it might leave a better edge. I think it's a toss up, the Edgit will trim good around the bed but still leave stragglers in the mulch though. The Trench blade should leave a smooth clean finish but you'll have extra dirt and debris to clean up and deal with.

Trenchblade
09-11-2008, 08:49 AM
If you use a trenchblade, you will want to rake the mulch back and put a good edge on there with it, them blow it up and rake it back. That should give you a good starting point where you could maintain it from there on out. You may want to consider using a PGR (plant growth regulator) on the backside edges of the turf so it will not have to be maintained as much throughout the growing season. Always use a stick edger when backside edging. A string trimmer (even with the edgit) will not go deep enough to cut the roots that are surly creeping into your beds. If you edge your backsides with a string trimmer, you are creating an encroachment problem for your self. The root growth that you are not getting with the string trimmer will continue to grow strong underground and get well rooted into your beds. We always use a stick edger to edge with and spray the encroaching turf with round up after it has been properly edged.

ALC-GregH
09-11-2008, 08:54 AM
I was halfway right. :D For the record, I haven't tried a Trench blade but plan on trying them.

bare spot
09-24-2008, 11:21 PM
I was halfway right. :D For the record, I haven't tried a Trench blade but plan on trying them.

have u tried these yet or anyone else? redoing some beds and remember reading about these blades. if u did can i ask what is the difference from a regular edger blade? thanks

billslawn89
09-24-2008, 11:25 PM
use the stick edger. if you edge around it every week, you should not have a problem with the grass growing in. thats how i do it here and comes out good!

bare spot
09-25-2008, 12:08 AM
use the stick edger. if you edge around it every week, you should not have a problem with the grass growing in. thats how i do it here and comes out good!
bills lawn thanks for the help, have used the stick edger but was wondering if these things are different from a stick edger blade or if they are basically the same.

1998tahoe
09-25-2008, 12:47 AM
Get a TrenchBlade. They make some supe nice bed lines. The only problem I have with it it pulls the far out of my edger.

bare spot
09-25-2008, 12:54 AM
Get a TrenchBlade. They make some supe nice bed lines. The only problem I have with it it pulls the far out of my edger.
never seen them around local but remember them being a sponsor (maybe still are), will give them a call, thanks

Trenchblade
09-25-2008, 06:42 AM
bills lawn thanks for the help, have used the stick edger but was wondering if these things are different from a stick edger blade or if they are basically the same.
A regular stick edger blade is flat and used to trim the grass that is hanging over the edge of the concrete or shrub bed. The Trenchblade is flails out about a 1/2 inch in oppisit directions on each end so that it will make a much wider groove in the ground. If you go to my web site and check out the picture on the prices and order page you can see what kind of trench it can make on a bed line.
www.trenchblade.com

task125
09-25-2008, 07:16 AM
I use the Edgit,works great.

david shumaker
09-25-2008, 07:55 PM
I ordered some Trenchblades. They work well for cleaning out existing beds or installing a shallow new bed.

ed2hess
09-25-2008, 09:29 PM
I am not sure I understand the problem.....roundup works just fine in keeping bermuda or practically everything else out. And trimmers can cut the rest. The trick is keeping that mulch in a nice circle and that is a trade secret.

bare spot
09-25-2008, 10:29 PM
A regular stick edger blade is flat and used to trim the grass that is hanging over the edge of the concrete or shrub bed. The Trenchblade is flails out about a 1/2 inch in oppisit directions on each end so that it will make a much wider groove in the ground. If you go to my web site and check out the picture on the prices and order page you can see what kind of trench it can make on a bed line.
www.trenchblade.com

trenchblade thanks

JKOOPERS
09-26-2008, 12:44 AM
here is what we use by far the best out there . we only have to edge once a year.

bare spot
09-26-2008, 01:07 AM
I am not sure I understand the problem.....roundup works just fine in keeping bermuda or practically everything else out. And trimmers can cut the rest. The trick is keeping that mulch in a nice circle and that is a trade secret.
ed, was using the sticker edger to redo the edge of some beds the other day and got thinking about the trenchblades, so was hoping to find out a little bit more about them and maybe pick up a few.