PDA

View Full Version : suspension seat kit for TANK...

djflats
09-10-2008, 03:56 AM
Does anyone on here have a suspension kit for the seat of their Cub Cadet TANK? I'm suppose to have one put on tomorrow. I have a 2004 TANK M48 and the ride can be pretty rough at times. How well does the kit help? I'm hoping for at least a little improvement. Another thing, does the kit add height to the seat and if so how much? I sure wish they made some flex forks for the Tank. It's built like a tank but at times it rides like one too. Thanks.

Nosmo
09-10-2008, 06:14 AM
Pull the two pins on the front axle and the mower will have a more flexible ride.

Nosmo

djflats
09-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Pull the two pins on the front axle and the mower will have a more flexible ride.

Nosmo

They're pulled but thanks. The moles have taken over the last couple years.

Nosmo
09-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Yeah those gopher hills and mole trails make for rough riding. They are bad again this year in one part of the yard out in back.

How much air are you running in the front and in the back tires ?

Nosmo

djflats
09-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Yeah those gopher hills and mole trails make for rough riding. They are bad again this year in one part of the yard out in back.

How much air are you running in the front and in the back tires ?

Nosmo

They're at their limit, 10 pounds I think. I need to take some out. Maybe go to 8?

JKUCSMA
09-10-2008, 02:58 PM
I put the kit on my m48,it raise the seat 11/2 to 2 inches,still a bit bumpy,but no bottoming out on seat.I think you like it.

Nosmo
09-10-2008, 06:56 PM
You can experiment with those tire pressures. I am running 10 in the rear and 12 in the front. I did try 8 in all four one time but it seemed too wishy washy .

JKUCSMA: Where did you purchase your suspension seat kit and what was the price ?

Nosmo

djflats
09-10-2008, 07:09 PM
You can experiment with those tire pressures. I am running 10 in the rear and 12 in the front. I did try 8 in all four one time but it seemed too wishy washy .

JKUCSMA: Where did you purchase your suspension seat kit and what was the price ?

Nosmo

I got it from a local dealer. He's charging $200 installed.

JKUCSMA
09-10-2008, 10:17 PM
I have 23 in front tires,10 in rears,got the seat from Hauters in Ohio,200.00.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
09-10-2008, 10:25 PM
any one have the new tank ? what do you think ?

djflats
09-13-2008, 12:52 PM
I just got my TANK back. The suspension seat kit is nice! I do sit up a little higher, 1 1/2 to 2 " but it's worth it.

JKUCSMA
09-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Glad you like it:)

1998tahoe
09-13-2008, 05:57 PM
earlier there was a post about pulling pins on axle to make more flexible. Where are they and what do they do???????????????

djflats
09-13-2008, 06:16 PM
earlier there was a post about pulling pins on axle to make more flexible. Where are they and what do they do???????????????

On the front axle. Pull up the foot board and look at the front axle. There should be 2 pins going through the frame and they have cotter pins(?)through one end of them(keepers). There are 2 sets of holes. One set is close together close to the center of the front axle. There is another set farther out from these, one on each side of the axle. If the pins are in the holes towards the center of the axle it gives the axle more "pivot" or "action". The outer set are for more stability on slopes I think, I never used them. I know the ride is supposed to be even rougher if they are in the outer most holes I believe.

djflats
09-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Pins....
http://www.waltonfarmsupply.com/prodimage/cc-m60.jpg
Look on front above the TANK M60 on this pic(it's backwards, sorry). There is a round silver looking piece, that's the pivot I think. Right above it are 6 bolts, or it looks like 6 bolts. The 2 in the middle are actually the pins I believe, without looking at mine. Now look at the 2 outer most bolts, 1 on the right front, 1 on the left front. If you look close on this pic you can see a hole just below each of these bolts. Those are the outer most holes for the pins.

djflats
09-13-2008, 06:39 PM
This is a Recon but it's a little better picture...
http://stoneburnerenterprisesinc.com/images/recon.jpg

Some one please correct me if I'm wrong...thanks.

Nosmo
09-13-2008, 07:09 PM
He is correct about the positions. Holes which are near the center Pivot Bolt are for flexible movement of the forks. Holes which are near the outer edges are for a firmer movement of the forks.

I am running mine in the firm postion. Why ?? It gives a much better cut on rougher yards. My own yard is constantly heaving and hawing. Got about a foot of topsoil and then solid sandstone underneath.

All winter long and wet weather too the topography changes. Not even counting the moles and gophers.

Nosmo

djflats
09-13-2008, 10:54 PM
He is correct about the positions. Holes which are near the center Pivot Bolt are for flexible movement of the forks. Holes which are near the outer edges are for a firmer movement of the forks.

I am running mine in the firm postion. Why ?? It gives a much better cut on rougher yards. My own yard is constantly heaving and hawing. Got about a foot of topsoil and then solid sandstone underneath.

All winter long and wet weather too the topography changes. Not even counting the moles and gophers.

Nosmo

So with the pins in the wider it will cut better on rough terrain? I may have to try that. Does it ride rougher?

Nosmo
09-14-2008, 07:00 AM
It cuts better on rough terrain because the front fork is not dipping nearly as much. With the pins mounted close to the center the ride is smoother but the front fork is dipping and acting like a shock absorber . Even though the dipping is slight it is enough to allow the deck to drop just enough to look like a gouge or scalp at times.

Works best for me and my yard with the pins locking the forks. Oh by the way my Tank is a 54" 2006 model -- bought it new in 2006.

Nosmo

HenryB
09-14-2008, 10:45 AM
It cuts better on rough terrain because the front fork is not dipping nearly as much. With the pins mounted close to the center the ride is smoother but the front fork is dipping and acting like a shock absorber . Even though the dipping is slight it is enough to allow the deck to drop just enough to look like a gouge or scalp at times.

Works best for me and my yard with the pins locking the forks. Oh by the way my Tank is a 54" 2006 model -- bought it new in 2006.

Nosmo

How many hours are on your tank? Any issues? I'm looking at one so I'm curious.

Elite Outdoor
09-14-2008, 01:02 PM
I've been pretty happy with my tank. It only has about 300hrs no problems besides a spring busted that keeps the deck belt tight. The cut is amazing. I bought mine new in 2006 it's got a 54" deck, and the back tires are super wide which is great. Makes it almost impossible to leave ruts no matter how much its rained.

Nosmo
09-14-2008, 04:43 PM
How many hours are on your tank? Any issues? I'm looking at one so I'm curious.

Bought it new in May 2006 and it now has 86 hours. Yes only 86 hours as I only cut my own yard with it. I have had only one small problem with it (see below) and I do my own maintenance.

Nothing has broken or worn out. I sharpen the blades myself and rotate sets of blades . I am still using the originals too. Only problem I had was a nut vibrated off the end of the rod which sets the pitch. So I have double nutted all those threaded rod nuts.

Nosmo

Dynamic
09-14-2008, 09:39 PM
This may make a few of you laugh but I have a RZT 50 Cub and I bought it last May (2007) and it has now got 3860 hours on it. I have gone through 4 spindles, one seat and harness, and a few spots to weld. Other than the weld, everything has also been covered under warranty. If Cub cadet is making non commercial equipment(even though I use ut commercially) this good I can only imagine that the tank is industructable.

JKUCSMA
09-15-2008, 05:41 AM
wow,I have like 300 hrs. on my Tank,but just a homeowner.

djflats
09-15-2008, 06:33 AM
wow,I have like 300 hrs. on my Tank,but just a homeowner.

My M48 has only 165 hours. Used here around the house.

djflats
09-15-2008, 06:28 PM

Nosmo

Nosmo...if I put the pins in the wider holes will it effect cut adjustment, the level of the cut? I'm just wondering because I just had my "cut" and deck leveled.

Nosmo
09-15-2008, 08:48 PM
I wouldn't think it would have any effect moving the pins. Why do I think this ?

With all adjustments , deck level , deck pitch and tires aired to a normal pressure which is kept and checked every few days switching the pins should not change the mowing height.

However leaving the pins in the outer holes will limit the sway especially in turns. Limiting the sway (leaning) will put a damper on slight scalping when making turns. I have noticed less problems when the ground is softer from all the excess rain we have had this year.

1. Pins in the inner holes - softer ride - good cut on level lawn.
2. Pins in the outer holes - harsher ride but a better cut on bumpier ground.

tslandscaping
09-15-2008, 09:07 PM
I have a 54" 2006 tank with 170 hours on it and I am having trouble with the hydraulics on the left side. It is very soft and does not turn very well.

I had also been noticing some small leaks on that same side. I took it to the dealer and they said that a flange was loose. I got it back and everything was fine but now it is getting soft again and every once in a while I will lose all power on the left side.

Secondly, I have not had the same experience as some of you. Mine leaves ruts and marks even if I do the slowest of 3 point turns.

djflats
09-15-2008, 09:31 PM
I wouldn't think it would have any effect moving the pins. Why do I think this ?

With all adjustments , deck level , deck pitch and tires aired to a normal pressure which is kept and checked every few days switching the pins should not change the mowing height.

However leaving the pins in the outer holes will limit the sway especially in turns. Limiting the sway (leaning) will put a damper on slight scalping when making turns. I have noticed less problems when the ground is softer from all the excess rain we have had this year.

I moved the pins to the outside. I won't get to try it until Friday evening probably, maybe Saturday. I know the ride will be rougher but hopefully the suspension seat will help out a little. Thanks.

Nosmo
09-16-2008, 06:52 AM
I
I had also been noticing some small leaks on that same side. I took it to the dealer and they said that a flange was loose. I got it back and everything was fine but now it is getting soft again and every once in a while I will lose all power on the left side.

Secondly, I have not had the same experience as some of you. Mine leaves ruts and marks even if I do the slowest of 3 point turns.

I'd check that relief valve on the pump to make certain it is tightened . One time I forgot to tighten them after I backed them off before rolling the mower manually in my shop. I thought I had blown a pump as it was performing somewhat like yours.

Marks and ruts --I know what you mean. Ruts can be caused by a couple things I can think of - mowing the same pattern each time or soft ground like after a rain.

For the best cut just set the mower up as near the specs as possible.
Experiment with the tire pressure I'm running 10 in the rear and 12 in the front. The deck is set up with just about a 1/4" pitch - lower in front. Keep the blades sharp and I do believe in balancing them too.
You might try moving those front fork pins to the outside holes. I used to have problems while making turns with those pins in the inner holes.

Hope this helps you.
Nosmo

Jasonn B
10-13-2008, 01:19 PM

Cool, I'm going to check mine.