PDA

View Full Version : here is a cheap way to sharpen your blades the rightway!

Rons Rightway Lawncare
09-10-2008, 09:44 AM
I just got mine in yesterday, got it off Ebay late last week. Offered 250$ shipped and they accepted instantly ( might try offering a little less next time! )

I have tried bench grinders, belt sanders and now I am excited to try this, I think this will work the best, and even though 250$ is alot more than a 40$ bench grinder, my time saved is easily worth the extra cost, plus I think this will give me a better more even edge on the blades.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bradley-Lawn-Mower-Blade-Sharpener-Commercial-Grade_W0QQitemZ220279529378QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220279529378&_trkparms=72%3A1163%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1308&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

clay duncan
09-10-2008, 09:50 AM
I have one and it is awesome........

mississippiturf
09-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Looks good, may have to try one. Give us some feedback after you use it.

Runner
09-10-2008, 09:55 AM
That is an excellent price for a grinder of that caliber.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
09-10-2008, 10:03 AM
I found the best way is to put the blade in a vise, and use an angle grinder. Can get it perfect everytime.

fastcat
09-10-2008, 10:48 AM
does this grinder keep it at the 30 degree angle and everthing. i would like to get some sort of blade grinder to make me not dred changing blades. and to make sure it is getting done right for a better cut.

jkason
09-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Yes.
The grinding angle is adjustable.

larryinalabama
09-10-2008, 01:28 PM
2 weeks ago I bought a Oregon blade grinder off ebay item #30025187965 or search blade grinder. It looks similer to the one you purchased. Takes a little getting used to but so far I like it. To adjsut the pitch simply turn the wheel till the stone hits the center of the blade, is that how you have been doing it?

Tharrell
09-10-2008, 01:32 PM
I don't see a whole lot of difference between that and a bench grinder.
What someone needs to come up with is an adjustable jig for a bench grinder.
Hey, wait a minute....disregard that last sentence. he he he

larryinalabama
09-10-2008, 01:35 PM
I don't see a whole lot of difference between that and a bench grinder.
What someone needs to come up with is an adjustable jig for a bench grinder.
Hey, wait a minute....disregard that last sentence. he he he

With these you get a streight even cut and the pitch is correct. It makes a difference on the quality of your mowing

txgrassguy
09-10-2008, 02:48 PM
All this grinder is, is an old Foley United blade grinder.
The design has been around for many, many years.
Watch out for two points of weakness on this type of grinder.
1. The on/off switch which also reverses the polarity to the motor can be thrown through the Off position into the reverse - can really mess up the switch rather quickly.
2. The grinding wheel accumulates a ton of debris which also builds up under the plate the blade slides on. A good diamond wheel dresser is necessary as regular cleaning under the plate.
All of this said, this is a good, economical grinder - heck my Foley has been around for at least 20 years and still grinds well.

ffemt1271
09-10-2008, 05:26 PM
will this thing sharpen the wavy mulching blades?

david shumaker
09-10-2008, 06:06 PM
I've been using a file to sharpen my blades. Is this OK?

Hawg City Lawns
09-10-2008, 06:17 PM
I've been using a file to sharpen my blades. Is this OK?

thats all ive ever used

ed2hess
09-10-2008, 07:27 PM
will this thing sharpen the wavy mulching blades?

I think me and you are the only guys in the US that use wavy blades....can't imagine how it could. And it isn't any good on sharpening all the other stuff like hedge trimmers. And it takes up room in the shop and isn't as versatile as a angle grinder that can be used for many other things. But I bet it gives a pretty darn nice edge on straight blades. I think those grinder result in a lot more blade use. I usually only use a couple sets of blades each year and we run 24/7.

Tadams
09-10-2008, 07:59 PM
I think me and you are the only guys in the US that use wavy blades....can't imagine how it could.

Make that 3 of us! I use gators on the bagging mower and wavy blades on the other 2. I don't see how that could work on the wavy ones, either.

txgrassguy
09-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Yes this type of grinder will easily sharpen mulching blades.
Feed the blade through the grinder - DO NOT DRAW THE BLADE - and you'll be just fine.
With a bit of practice you can sharpen any mower blade even bush hog or shredder blades.
For a hedge trimmer use a small angle grinder.
The best thing is to acquire a magnetic blade balancer like the one from Magna-Matic.
Cheapest way to both sharpen and balance large reciprocating blades from 21" to the 72" machines.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
09-10-2008, 08:53 PM
I first started sharpening blades back in the mid 90's when I got into this business with a 40$ bench grinder. I used it for years, and it worked, but it had a few major drawbacks....

1. It tended to want to pull the blade down into the wheel, between the wheel and the perch. If this happened it would take too much metal off the blade in one spot, making me have to take alot of metal off the entire blade to get a even sharp blade like a new blade.

2. It was too easy to round off the tips with the bench grinder.

3. It was hard to get a even edge, especially if the blade had hit something and put a big ding in it.

4. It took a long time to do each blade.

All in all I was not happy sharpening my blades with the grinder. I was in the back of one of the lawnmower shops one day while the mechanic started sharpening blades and I watch him do them by clamping them in a vise and using a handheld angle grinder. Looked to be a better way to sharpen than the bench grinder. So I bought a angle grinder and started to do my blades the same way. Problem was it was still hard to do a even edge and it took a long time per blade. This was only better than the bench grinder by a small margin. I was still not happy with doing it this way

Now when I say a long time per blade, I am not talking about it taking a long time on a blade that was dent and ding free but just slightly dull, My blades usually end up with a ding or major dent from the accidental rock or gravel or other debris that I end up mowing over. To get the blade back to a even sharp edge you have to grind out the blade past the ding and that takes alot of time...

Then I was at another mower shop and watched the mechanic there use a 1 inch airpowered handheld belt sander to sharpen customers blades. It looked like alot of work but I liked how the blades looked when he was done. So I went out and bought a typical handheld electric belt sander, I think it has a 3-4 inch wide belt. Putting the blade in a vise and using the sander by holding it at the right angle and letting it grind away at the blade till I got the nice even sharp surface I wanted. But this too took alot of time and I couldn't see the blade with the sander in use since the sander blocked my view of it. It was also hard to even out the blade for balance purposes if I had to take off alot of material off one side due to a ding but not the otherside.... took forever to get the heavy side sanded down to a even weight.

So I went out and bought a large stationary belt sander and tried it. It worked better, but still slow going due to the slow speed the belt traveled on it. It worked best as far as getting a even edge though.

After reading some posts here about blade sharpening I tried something I wish I had tried years ago.... I took my old 40$ bench grinders wheels off and removed the guards, and reattached the guards on backwards. I then reinstalled the wheels and adjusted the perches and now I had a bench grinder that worked alot like the professional grinders, in that the wheel wants to push the blade away from it, not pull it in towards it. It worked better than anything I had used to this point, and I ended up using the grinder to take the bulk of the metal off the blade and get the edge defined, and then dressed the blade on the stationary belt sander to get them perfect. Worked great, but still one drawback and that was holding the blade at the right angle the entire time, it was too easy to let the blade get off on the angle and results were a good blade but not perfect.

After using the bench grinder with the wheel direction reversed I could see how using a professional grinder like the one in the link I posted above would end up being the best way to do this. I haven't used it yet, only because I just spent about 2-3 hours last week after work sharpening the 5 sets of blades I keep on hand for my mowers. I have so many blades so that I can just change out to sharp blades as needed and not have to break out the sharpening stuff but once every other month or so. There was no way I would have spent 250$ on a sharpener in the past, but I am learning as I get older that having the right tool for a job is worth the price of the tool! I don't have plans of getting out of this business anytime soon so I look at it as a investment.

Roger
09-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Several have mentioned angle grinders. I started using one a couple of seasons ago. Somebody suggested I try a flap-disk, and gave me one. Since that time, I've never remounted the grinding disk, just new flap-disk. I bought several from a warehouse, but one has lasted this season, since about April 1. It will be replaced soon. It is a Tiger-Disk, 36 grit. The time to do a blade over against a grinding disk is much, much less.

gorknoids
09-10-2008, 11:01 PM
We've used one just like that for years, and it can't be beat. Great addition!

create_username
09-11-2008, 01:33 AM
Whats the difference between this machine and the 8000 series magnamatic?

Rons Rightway Lawncare
09-11-2008, 08:49 AM

Most likely just several hundred dollars.

topsites
09-11-2008, 10:43 AM

4 inches in diameter on the cutting wheel and a whole hp on the motor, so it's a 1.5 vs a 1/2 hp,
and the diameter of the wheel is 12" instead of 8" as well.

That's what I have, a 12" 1.5 hp RBG
Oh, and mine has a directional lamp that provides light where I want it as well.

But it's just a thing, as tired as I was of sharpening it's one area where I was not about to cut corners :p
Now I didn't pay no $1100 for it either, I think I paid 3-400 for mine, if I remember correctly.

So I can't say I blame anyone for using this $250 unit, for a solo operation it likely will last at least several years
and for that price if it breaks they can just buy another, 1100 bucks for a decent unit is a serious outrage of horse CRAP lol.
Technically $250 still seems a bit steep but it's considerably more tolerable.

Backhoe Man
09-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Something that may not have been talked about is that sharpening a blade with a dedicated blade sharpener will leave a hollow ground on one side of the blade. A hollow ground will stay sharper for a longer period of time. BH///////

larryinalabama
09-11-2008, 10:51 AM
When I had my business in So. California all I used was a Snapper 21" mower. The feller at the mower shop would sharpen and balance the blades for 4$, and I mean they were perfect. I carried 1 blade on the mower 1 extra on the truck and left 1 blade at the mower shop. It really worked out perfect, no need to try and sharpen my own.

So now many years later Im starting a new lawn care business in Alabama. I have 5
and a total of 8 blades. What Ive been doing is sharpening them 2 to 3 times and then buying new blades. Well blades have really gone up in price recently so i figured I would dress them up a few times and then take them to the mower shop to be sharpened. Well I take them to the shop and the feller cahres 8$ each and gives back blade that were sharpened on a bench grinder, uneven un balanced and BLUED.
So I looked into a blade sharpener, but I got sticker shocked. The cheapest was the Oregon <which I bought> which was 450$. So I went to ebay, and tuped in blade "sharpner" I saw the one Rons Rightway bought and thought about it a couple of days, I offered 210$ but it was turned down, not reconizing the name I was a little nervous to spend more. After reading a different blade "Grinder" thred i went to ebay and seached blade "grinder". I sae the 450$ oregon for 299$ including shipping and bought it.

I think it will be a good investment, blades are high and I can keep them sharpened correctly giving me better cuts.

topsites
09-11-2008, 11:01 AM
I did want to make a correction, as I looked under specifications for the MagnaMatic 8000 I realized it's not a 12" 1.5hp...
The motor is a 1 hp, and it almost appears a 7" (?) grinding wheel.
For that kind of money Magnamatic is way, way overpriced!

And I don't care how nice it is. :p

250, 3-400, yeah, 450 maybe 5 but no more.

clay duncan
09-11-2008, 11:06 AM
J-Thomas wants $309. plus shipping for the bradley blade grinder.....

larryinalabama
09-11-2008, 11:36 AM
I did want to make a correction, as I looked under specifications for the MagnaMatic 8000 I realized it's not a 12" 1.5hp...
The motor is a 1 hp, and it almost appears a 7" (?) grinding wheel.
For that kind of money Magnamatic is way, way overpriced!

And I don't care how nice it is. :p

250, 3-400, yeah, 450 maybe 5 but no more.

Topsites GOOD to se ya, I thought you had a rich widow customer that swept you off your feet.

I wouldnt spent 1100$ eighter for a blade grinder I think these littl machines we bought will serve us well and suspect they will last many years.