PDA

View Full Version : Which mulching blade for 48" scag advantage

ein999
09-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Which mulching blade for 48" scag advantage deck. I have tried the wide high lift blades from j thomas and they do not work well with this mower. These blades throw around the air to much and cause blowout etc... resulting in a poor cut.

What is a good mulching blade do you use for the fall cleanups to help with the grinding of the leaves. etc....

Runzwiscizzers
09-10-2008, 11:48 AM
I bought a Scag 48" two years ago. I mow my 1.5 acre yard with it. Many large trees in the lawn areas.

I use gator blades most of the time, and don't have a problem with them.

In the fall when the leaves start coming down, I run Mega-Mos. They do a better job pulverizing the leaves. The Mega-Mos don't give me the quality of cut on just grass, that I like. Not enough lift to them for my mower.

Hope that helps.

ein999
09-10-2008, 04:01 PM
thank you for your help. I cant seem to find that blade. how good of a cut does the gator blade leave.

Is there anyone else here with this setup

Mike Blevins
09-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Which mulching blade for 48" scag advantage deck. I have tried the wide high lift blades from j thomas and they do not work well with this mower. These blades throw around the air to much and cause blowout etc... resulting in a poor cut.

What is a good mulching blade do you use for the fall cleanups to help with the grinding of the leaves. etc....

Scag Eliminator blades work well on my Scags. They do a really nice job on the leaves.

ed2hess
09-10-2008, 08:34 PM
You can mess around with blades all day long and the blow out on these new machines is huge. Can't image why you wouldn't use the Scag wavy blades especially for fall cleanup. Just get a set of goggles and dust mask and cut away. I got a new Scag 60" unit and it is a huge dust blower(better than a BR600) but it gives the best darn cut I ever seen.

cybervision
09-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Try the Eliminators.

I ran a set of Eliminators on my Lazer last week and they pulverized the leaves. I ran the OCDC in the almost closed position. A lot of the grass and leaves were ground up dropped under the deck and cut was left very clean. The balance was discharged out the opening dropping next to the deck. I just kept cutting the discharge (circle cutting) and when I got to the middle opened up the OCDC and dispersed the last line of clipping. The yard was left clean.

The conditions were dry and the amount of leaves was such that you could still see some grass but it was mostly covered with leaves. These leaves were very dry and came from a tree that dropped its leaves early due to a long summer drought. I was very pleased with the results. I had always used Gators in the past but the Eliminators worked much better on the leaves.

Eliminators are available for almost any brand now, even Big Box store mowers.