PDA

View Full Version : Compost tea and new seed

arrudacruiser1
09-10-2008, 01:57 PM
I just recieved my compost tea in the mail from ICT. Can anyone recommend if I should soak the sead in the compost tea prior to slit seeding, or just apply after the seed is in the ground?

phasthound
09-10-2008, 02:45 PM
I just recieved my compost tea in the mail from ICT. Can anyone recommend if I should soak the sead in the compost tea prior to slit seeding, or just apply after the seed is in the ground?

Either way is fine, I would just spray it after seeding.
You might want to check out this thread http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=245229

ICT Bill
09-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Here is the answer I sent him via email
Pre-germination is taking the seed almost to the point where it germinates and then applying it, this is typically used in hydro seeding where you donít have to dry the seed. If you use our compost tea product 1 ounce per 2 gallons the seed will be impregnated (inoculated) with all of the beneficial microorganisms. As the seed roots and moves into the soil the populations of bacteria and fungi will continue to populate the growing root. Of interest: the most fertile place in the soil profile is at the tip of a root, this is where all of the good guys go to eat and procreate

Priming is soaking and then drying the seed this is typically done in 12 hour shifts, 12 hours in the water and 12 hours out drying. This depend completely on the type seed that you are using, Kentucky blue grass can take 30 days to germinate you can cut that time in half by priming for 4 days, if you primed rye for 4 days you would be left with a big ball of rooted grass seed, prime rye for 2 days or any mix that has rye in it.
When inoculating the seed with our ICT product, most folks change the water everyday but you can use it for 2 cycles without any issues

If you inoculate the seed you will get much better percentage of germination and the long term health of the turf will be better too

One thing I forgot to mention is if you are inoculating the seed by soaking you should probably aerate it with a air pump and air stone, at least slosh it around every once in a while so that you don't get seperation in the water column but nice coverage all over the seed

David W
09-11-2008, 07:00 AM
I recently sprayed ICT at 1 ounce per 4 gallons and had germination on tall fescue in about 5 days. I tried the Myco seed that Pennington puts out. Had amazing results. Good stuff. The lawns I'm doing this week I may switch it up to 1 ounce per 2 gallons and see what happens.

arrudacruiser1
09-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Im going to prime 12hours soaking and 12 drying twice. When I prime do I use the declorinator and both other solutions all at once? Refering to compost tea 1-2-3.

ICT Bill
09-11-2008, 08:56 AM
If the water has chlorine you need to use the de-chlor and then equal amounts of #2 compost tea and #3 accelerator.

If you dump a couple of ounces into a bucket with chlorinated water it will kill off a bunch of the good guys