PDA

View Full Version : Red Hawk mowers...any good????

From Dust 'til Lawn
09-10-2008, 02:01 PM
A small dealer in my area has a 48in red hawk walk behind...Hydro.....2500.00 bucks...brand new.....good price?? are they any good??? I don't know much about them.. Thanks...

LawnTamer
09-10-2008, 02:18 PM
They are junk.

I haven't had one personally, but know several people who have. They used them for a few months and all but gave them away, and were glad to be rid of them.

fordmstng66
09-10-2008, 03:09 PM
I have a 48" Red hawk Belt Drive I like it, but i only use it for personal use. I wish now i would have spent the extra money and got a hydro:hammerhead:

jkason
09-10-2008, 03:36 PM
I believe they are an import.

1 year warranty.

tallimeca
09-11-2008, 11:56 PM
junk, plain and simple

MTDlawns
09-16-2008, 10:05 PM
we run a 48" redhawk belt driven as our main mower and a 36" bunton as our backyard piece. We've had our redhawk for two years now. It's an okay mower if you don't have many lawns to do. We have cut up to 20 lawns a day with it and it takes the beating. The engine which is an 18hp kohler pro is a good motor which never gave us any issues. Some things we don't like about it: we replaced the stock blades with gator blades, the stock ones were absolute junk. You're more than likely going to have to go over a lawn twice in order to get up some clumps because the mower doesn't shoot the grass far. We never had to replace anything major on it, just the soft hand grips and thats about it. If you're looking for a cheaper mower that leaves a pretty nice cut, then I'd say go for it, but we're looking to get rid of ours to get a Z turn next year. Let me know what you do. Good luck.

Baywatch
09-16-2008, 10:20 PM
I bought one last week as a backup walk behind and have cut probably 50 yards with it and have been satisfied with it. The soft hand grips are lame and it pulls one direction or the other depending on speed ( If I adjust it straight it stays straight until I speed up or slow down that I have to reset).

It was only $2,000 so I wasn't expecting to much/ hence I am satisfied.

1yr warranty and two on engine or vice versa, can't remember.

It is definately quicker than my 48" beltdrive as far as cutting times.

Baywatch
09-16-2008, 10:26 PM
As far as price there should be a 1,000 dollar rebate. With tax, a jungle jim bracket, two spindel assemblies (for a different mower), and two belts my total was still less than $2500 (sorry, I am to tired to go find my receipt).

My purchase price was either $2,000 or $2,100 on mower itself.

Hope that helps.

dishboy
09-16-2008, 11:21 PM
junk, plain and simple

Kinda like the Exmark 26, Frontrunner and the old double pulley Viking belt drive ,which had a worthless drive system and a deck prone to cracking.