PDA

View Full Version : Side catcher on 60" deck?

Herrick
09-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Anyone use a side catcher (accelerator, grass gobbler, etc) with an extension on a 60" deck? Looking ahead to leaves... the $2600 powerflow for the deere is just outrageous... I expect a catcher will fill fast, but is it just stupid fast to the level of being faster to rake? Thought is to collect the leaves with the catcher on the deere, dump onto a tarp, then drag the tarp to the truck and load the truck with my truck loader. Maybe it'd be faster just to rake the big piles and tarp to the truck, then use the deere and catcher to clean up?

Big Wes
09-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Why don't you avoid bagging all together and just grind the leaves up with your Z?

Been working for me for years.

Pull up, mow the leaves to a pulp and drive off to the next stop. Time is money.

jkason
09-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Some folks don't like the look of pulped leaves on the lawn - I know guys that were fired for running over leaves while cutting grass.

Not that picking up the leaves was part of the contract anyways....

Big Wes
09-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Maybe I should have said pulvarized/powder like instead of the word pulp.

Funny thing is when I drive off all you see is green grass, and no complaints in the last 6 years.

heather lawn sp
09-10-2008, 07:00 PM
Maybe I should have said pulvarized/powder like instead of the word pulp.

Funny thing is when I drive off all you see is green grass, and no complaints in the last 6 years.

Some days I think I'm the only one who does this.

markahurley
09-10-2008, 07:59 PM
all depends on how deep the leaves are. some accounts i do i can get away with mulching the leaves, but once fall really hits here, there are some accounts with all oak trees. on those accounts i'll be pushing the leaves more than mulching them.

for these i've found the quickest is to just blow them into windrows and drag them on tarps to the truck. only other option i see is to get one of those leaf plows jrco sells. that will at least help you handle the piles with a little less effort.

as far as mulching that many leaves, your best bet is a leaf loader. they're not too cheap, but a good investment.

Runner
09-10-2008, 11:42 PM
For larger yards, forget the bagger. It is just way too slow. A good thing to do is windrow them into rows. You don't have to push rows into such thickness that you can't hardly move the mower through. Always be able to move right along with it. When you get to the point that it starts getting rather thick, go around and blow in from the other side, the take a 180 left, and start another windrow. Now, after you double back onto the backside of your PREvious windrow again, as you start narrowing the ro, decrease your rpm's so you aren't blowing past your other row edge. ONce you have these rows narrowed up. you can take a tarp and move right down the rows, raking the leaf material up onto the tarp(s). Do NOT waste time putting leaves into "piles" as so many peole do. This is unproductive, as you are just wasting time and work pushing leaves back and forth into piles that are then harder to put onto tarps, because they are higher and heavier. Now, when you are putting the leaves from the row onto the tarp(s). don't get caught up in fooling around with the last little bit of leaf material under the edge of the tarp where you just raked them on. Just leave it, and when you pull the tarp down just past the next tarp length, you can the rake it towards you without interference. This is faster and more productive, and believe me, you can pile leaves onto a tarp alot faster than you can keep stopping every ten feet, shutting down, and emptying a bagger.

Lbilawncare
09-11-2008, 12:36 AM
Side baggers are an absolute waste for leaves, unless you have an OCDC that shreds the leaves up first. Even then, the side bagger will fill up really quick.

whoopassonthebluegrass
09-11-2008, 12:45 AM
Just ignore them and they'll go away. They're more scared of you than you are of them.

Herrick
09-11-2008, 04:06 AM
I'm getting paid to pick up the leaves, so that's what I'll do... plus the yards I'm thinking of have enough trees and thin enough grass that you'll never be able to grind them up to the point that you won't see them. Thanks for the thought though...

I can make pretty quick piles (or rows) with my BR600 in the thick leaves, then I'll probably tarp those to the truck... even been thinking about using a really big tarp and using the deere to pull it around... I'll have to work on that idea some more...

My main question is how fast does a side bagger fill up with a 60" deck?

Big Wes
09-11-2008, 08:37 AM
"My main question is how fast does a side bagger fill up with a 60" deck?"

1 or 2 passes and you're full.