PDA

View Full Version : Anyway to remove grease stains from clothing?

green-pa
09-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Can anyone tell me how to get mower grease stains off of clothing? It seems harder to remove than anything else I've ever encountered! I guess I put a little too much in my velky and had it up so I could walk behind on rough ground, when I put the mower back on the tralier I saw my shorts had a bunch of black grease spots on them. I try to look as decent as I can so if at all possible I'd like to know if there is a secret to removing these kind of stains.

thanks

topsites
09-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Steps:

1. Don't get grease on your good clothes.
2. Don't wear your good clothes to work.
3. If this fails, you have new work clothes.

If it makes you feel any better I just made myself some new work shoes this week.

gardenkeeper88
09-10-2008, 10:48 PM
ah ha.....there is a trick to getting out grease. It actually takes another grease product to release it. First spray the grease stain with w/d 40. cover stain completely and rub in well. Then apply stain remover such as shout or spray-n-wash. let set for a couple of minutes and then coat stain with dawn liquid dish soap. don't rinse! throw it in the washer with your favorite detergent. Hopefully this will take it out. If not repeat before placing garment in the dryer. Also try to use the hottest water the garment will withstand. Good luck!

Mrs. Gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88
09-10-2008, 10:49 PM
She gets alot of my grease stains out. She's the best.

green-pa
09-10-2008, 10:50 PM
There is a way to get rid of oil stains.
Rate: (104 Ratings)
I found these instructions online. Wonder if anyone else had tried something like this?

Whether it's a cooking, automotive or lubricating oil mark, the sooner you deal with a greasy stain, the better the outcome. Follow the directions below to minimize the risk of permanent stains.

InstructionsDifficulty: Moderately Easy

Things Youíll Need:

Laundry Pretreatment
Paper towels
Dry-cleaning Solvent
Talcum Powder
Cornstarches

Step1Apply an absorbent such as talcum powder or cornstarch to the affected area, then brush away. If the stain is heavy or old, proceed to Step 2; if fresh, skip to Step 3.
Step2Place stain facedown on paper towels. Blot back of stain with a dry-cleaning solvent. Replace paper towels as they soak up the stain.
Step3Spray with laundry pretreatment.
Step4Wash in the hottest water that's safe for the garment.
Step5Air dry.

green-pa
09-10-2008, 10:52 PM
She gets alot of my grease stains out. She's the best.

Thanks Gardenkeeper88. I will try this

clcare2
09-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Buy new shorts.

pinto n mwr
09-11-2008, 12:07 AM
why bother with getting stains out!
This is a dirty industry not a button up shirt industry.

dishboy
09-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Use Dawn as a pre-spot treatment before washing. Works great.

Dean of Green
09-11-2008, 08:49 AM
The most effective way is to cut them out. Works every time.

tedfrk
09-11-2008, 10:26 PM
i use simple green on all my work clothes when they are stained seems to do pretty well.

Big C
09-12-2008, 01:08 AM
When I was in the military, I work in aircraft maint. and I was told soaking your clothes in Coke removes any oil stains from it....hope this helps.

lawnman_scott
09-12-2008, 01:24 AM
Give them to your wife.

44DCNF
09-12-2008, 02:02 AM
Fast Orange Hand Cleaner works great.

Luvs2Play
09-12-2008, 02:08 AM
Double up the soap in the dishwasher. Spread them out on the bottom rack and turn it on. Just make sure they don't block the center where the tube goes up to the top rack.
If that doesn't work, soak them in gasoline, throw them in the burn pile, roast some marshmallows, and drink a beer until the fire department shows up!

Grassmechanic
09-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Fast Orange Hand Cleaner works great.

That's the best way. Any waterless hand cleaner will dissolve the grease. Just rub a dab into the grease stain the night before you do laundry and throw 'er in the washer.

Lestoil also works pretty good.

meadow2
09-14-2008, 03:30 AM
Is this an office job or landscape co. Lets face it its a dirty job or our clients would do it them selves.:hammerhead:

gardenkeeper88
09-14-2008, 09:40 AM
Is this an office job or landscape co. Lets face it its a dirty job or our clients would do it them selves.:hammerhead:

Yes but I want us to look professional, and we can look better than like we just crawled out from under that car. It's nice to show up to work clean too. Dirt is 1 thing but grease is another. If every week you leave every large (3") grease spot than what will your cloths look like in one month? Jmo. and how we want to look as a company.

Runner
09-14-2008, 02:10 PM
I use D&L Hand Cleaner. It takes it right out. Someone mentioned th orange stuff which would probably do it as well. dawn works great at breaking down grease on many things as well, but I have found that the D&L works excellent. I learned this from one of my high school shop teachers' wives (she was a teacher, too).

Grassmechanic
09-15-2008, 03:21 PM
I use D&L Hand Cleaner. It takes it right out. Someone mentioned th orange stuff which would probably do it as well. dawn works great at breaking down grease on many things as well, but I have found that the D&L works excellent. I learned this from one of my high school shop teachers' wives (she was a teacher, too).

Now that you mentioned it, I had to go check. Yep, D&L is the brand that I have also. My guess is that any of those waterless hand cleaners would probably work.:waving: