PDA

View Full Version : Old Mower. When is it time for a new one?

sgl41377
09-10-2008, 09:42 PM
I have a 2002 Toro Zmaster 44 inch deck. I bought this used about 18 months ago. I had been part time until May 08 and thought it would last for a good while since I was PT. Now that I am FT, I feel like I am always buying parts. i dont mind fixing the mower, but sometimes the timing is bad. It seems like the dealer never has all the parts I need, so they have to order them. I make due though. I do have a 36 inch Exmark Metro I bought new as a back-up. Very well maintained mower. I can't really afford a new mower now, but when do you call a mower USED UP?

mississippiturf
09-10-2008, 09:45 PM
How many hours on it?? If 2,000 or better I'd start saving up to replace it.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Usually when mine start getting hard to start and just "look" old I usually start saving to replace them, however I do have an old Toro that is my backup in case something happens to another, only used it once so far this summer. Probably will use it alot on fall cleanups for the fact the bagger is pretty big on it.

sgl41377
09-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Thanks. It currently has almost 1800 hours on it. I paid $2800 for it, so I feel like it was worth the money for the few years I have had it. Also, it would make a great back-up if i were to buy a new mower. I don't think buying another used mower for a full time operation is smart. Now another question. Exmark, Toro, Walker? I have dealers close to me for all these manufacturers.

dura to the max
09-11-2008, 10:10 PM
all three of the mowers you mention are great mowers depending on what you're going for. you cant compare apples and oranges. the exmark and toro are the same mowers w/ a different name tag. i disagree on buying used though, i buy all used as does a good friend of mine in town and i have yet to get a lemon. imo usually i can buy someone elses cash burden and get a great buy on a great mower. normally i can flip these mowers a year or so later and come out even or on top.

jeffscap
09-11-2008, 10:12 PM
MississippiTurf has pretty much got it. After about 2,000 hrs start looking for a new machine. If your bagging alot and doing residentials.walker mowers are the best. Pretty costly but worth the money.:waving:

Collegepro
09-11-2008, 10:14 PM
I always try to trade out the mower I have after 2 years once the warrenty is out and get a new one...and just keep up on the warrenty..but thats only for the one i use most of the time...

Father&Daughter Lawn care
09-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Yep 2000 hrs is about it. You should start saving now and consider buying a left over 08 when the new models come out. Go test some of the models you like most dealers have one to try. You should keep your old mower as the back up. I doubt they would offer much for trade in.

tedfrk
09-11-2008, 10:26 PM
the dealer near me does not stock anypart i have ever asked for not one belt,tire,fuel pump,cables,nothing,I know i have to find a new dealer but he is close by about 1/2 hour.but i have to wait a week for the parts.

Jusmowin
09-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Id rather replace componets untill I cant anymore. To me it seems more economical to replace than buying a new mower.

Oldtimer
09-14-2008, 08:33 AM
You don't make money working on mowers, only using them.

My customers who make the most money turn their mowers every 1000 hours or 2 years whichever comes first. I have seen 72" Z mowers for sale with <700 hours because they were coming up on 2 years.

Oldtimer

cej93
09-14-2008, 11:08 AM
A good friend of mine just replaced his Walker with another Walker--his old one that is now serving as his back up has 3,900 hrs on it and still works perfect. His old one has the 42" deck on it and he's thinking of buying the 36" deck for it so he can get through the gates on a couple of places. :usflag:

grassaholic
09-14-2008, 12:44 PM
I use my mowers as long as possible. If you can work on your equipment yourself, running high hr. machines isn't a bad idea. I've got a Walker that has 4200 hrs. on it. I had to shortblock the engine around 2400 hrs. and replace a hydro pump [forget the hrs. on that!]. This unit is now my backup machine for a newer model because newer machines do tend to have less problems. Like Old Timer said, " you don't make money working on mowers". The key is to have a backup, so if you do have a breakdown, you don't have to stop cutting. My advice would be to buy a new mower and keep the old one for a backup.