PDA

View Full Version : Poor Man's WAM (11 ft cut, 42 hp, under $10k new)

olde_blue
09-10-2008, 11:10 PM
I thought the lawnsite community might find this setup amusing. I hate to try to manuever it! (By the way, it is posted for sale on our local craigslist. Only $6500! See: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/834200306.html.

Jason Rose
09-11-2008, 12:05 AM
I think that's pretty slick really! Of course you would have to go pretty slow I assume... Would be interesting to see what kind of production you could get out of that setup versus a good commercial 72" machine.

whoopassonthebluegrass
09-11-2008, 12:40 AM
ridiculous...

P.Services
09-11-2008, 12:43 AM
look at that lawn he has to mow!!! i would be thinking along those lines also.

newz7151
09-11-2008, 01:02 AM
Why do stupid people put "still has warranty" in their ads like that?

95% of equipment DOES NOT HAVE A TRANSFERRABLE WARRANTY.

The warranty is only valid and available to the original purchaser with hard copy proof of original sales receipt. (this does not apply to true commercial units which most can have the sale and warranty transferred if the private seller and buyer contact an authorized dealer for that product brand)

02DURAMAX
09-11-2008, 02:22 AM
Thats Crazy!!!

topsites
09-11-2008, 03:27 AM
My biggest concern would be the hydros on the Ztr,
they're not designed for towing...

Tinkerer
09-11-2008, 03:52 AM
Those Swisher 2 wheel pull type mowers don't cut that well. They don't have shrouding around the blades. I had one for a week, cleaned it and got my money back. They are rear discharge. I'm guessing the ZTR is right hand discharge. So if you get into tall/thick grass its gonna bunch up the clippings on the right side.

FDuce
09-11-2008, 10:34 AM
I would put a bar between the two Swishers to keep them the same distance apart and prevent one from jumping over on a bump and missing a patch of grass. I would hate to do a U turn just to redo a 2 foot strip.

whoopassonthebluegrass
09-11-2008, 10:39 AM
I would put a bar between the two Swishers to keep them the same distance apart and prevent one from jumping over on a bump and missing a patch of grass. I would hate to do a U turn just to redo a 2 foot strip.

It's like a battleship. A turnaround takes 2 hours. :D

ALC-GregH
09-11-2008, 11:55 AM
kinda defeats the purpose of a zero turn. A 60" tractor mower would be better.

dhardin53
09-11-2008, 03:54 PM
I'm a puylbehind fan and user. But these type of 2 wheeled Swisher just wont cut it.
Sever good point here. Many Z are not designed to pull this type of load, True. Is this mower saving any time or money? I just cant see it. But under perfect cutting conditions and go slow enough, it may just work so give the guy credit.

I use a 60" Swisher 4 wheeled 20hp with gadars behind my DC and go as fast as i want. But I'm afraid this guy would get in my way if we was on the same yard. I have used my 60" with a tractor and my Dixie Chopper and its much faster with a DC. I still trun faster with my DC, but don't truly Z turn with it behind me. But I don't need to its a 10 foot to the next row of uncut grass.

topsites
09-11-2008, 05:34 PM
It's like a battleship. A turnaround takes 2 hours. :D

Yeah, and you gotta plan for it days in advance :p

jkilov
09-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Actually I was thinking of just a setup. There's a few 5+ acre jobs I'd like to bid. My only concern is trashing the hydros and quality of cut.

There are different ways to hitch them up. In a "V" like you see it now or the "A" formation which is similar with an extra hinged rod connecting the two tow-behinds. Easy to imagine and no problem turning or reversing.

Only hitch up when needed. Anyone fancy a $20k+ wing mower for a few jobs? When do you break even?

whoopassonthebluegrass
09-11-2008, 08:21 PM
This looks like a lawn for a 15mph DC!!! Probably just as fast if you can open it up!

deereequipment
09-11-2008, 09:14 PM

Just stop, and back up. WHo ever designed that machine obviously thought of that, and is probably pretty good at backing up and keeping both tow alongs going in the same direction.

MONTE
09-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Interesting. The country clipper jazee 2 is an estate series mower!

Tinkerer
09-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Go and lookup the Acrease site. In one or more pictures he shows a tractor pulling 3 60" pull type mowers. Each Acrease unit weighs around 400 pounds. Each Swisher 60" unit weighs about 500 pounds. www.kunzeng.com

diagnostech
09-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Just talked to the acrease guys today,
Mr. Kunz stated" guys are pulling 2- wing mowers behind their zero turns and not burning up the hydro's . He has pulled one behind a cheap sears lt at his church for 6 years and not burned it up. they actually pull easy.

You should only try one if you are" interested in SAVING GAS, MAKING TONS OF MONEY, and BAFFLING your COMPETITION ' . You will be able to bid less, and make a ton more.

Imagine doing the work of -3- guys with -3- $9,000 Z's = $27,000
for only -1- z and -2- acrease ($3,000) = $15,000
LABOR saved $$$$$$$$

Good day

Jimslawncareservice
09-26-2008, 10:43 PM
I think a 72'' would be much faster than that rig due to turning and trying to mow corners and getting close to objects, plus you would have a better cut and cheaper too.

Jimslawncareservice
09-26-2008, 11:02 PM
I think a 72'' would be much faster than that rig due to turning and trying to mow corners and getting close to objects, plus you would have a better cut and cheaper too.

diagnostech
09-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Acrease;
Cut quality is unbeateable.
the design rivals any commercial Z, in quality, duarbility, and performance.

Turning,
is not a problem ,as long as you use the 'lawn & garden hitch' and NOT the ATV hitch. It is truly impressive, and "must be seen to believe", how it follows the mower around corners or trees.No skips on turns.

As Gary Kunz.at Acrease stated, Many operators have over 4000 hours on their units. The only real problems they've had are with the lawncare employees. Who, seeing their overtime going away, have tried to destroy these mowers, by running over rocks, etc, to keep from having to use it.

An owner operator friend just got one and has cut his mow time on 1 property down from 3 days to 1 1/2 days. This property has many buildings, and trees. Paid for in 1/2 a summer. $$$$:)

olde_blue
09-29-2008, 10:46 AM
I started a new thread on a related topic, speculating on the possibility of making a pull-behind mower at home by converting a walk-behind (Convert a walk-behind to a pull-behind mower? Reversibly? A very poor-man's WAM. (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=247793)).

Feedback from anyone who subscribes to this thread? Ideas?