PDA

View Full Version : Hydro v. Belt Drive

Jmill88
09-10-2008, 11:10 PM
I am planning on starting part time next year and am going to buy a 36" walk behind to start. This is probably a stupid question, but can you guys explain the big differences between these two. Are hydros worth the extra expense?
I am thinking of getting a quick 36 or a used Exmark or Toro. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

stevenf
09-11-2008, 02:14 PM
From what I understand, Belt drives are the same. With Hydros, you dont get slipping because there are no belts to get wet. This seems enough to me because I like to start early in the morning when dew is still on the ground. Hills would be a challenge to with slipping belts.
I plan to try and demo bolt before a decision.

All_Toro_4ME
09-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Big difference between the two? Reverse. Yea seriously, you get reverse assist on gear/belt drive walkbehind mowers. Takes more practice when mowing so you dont tear the turf. With hydro, you have instant reverse, no shifting gears for faster speed, no slippage of belts or drive belts to replace. Oh yea, another big difference between the two, the price. Hydros are the cream of the crop when compared to belt/gear drive units. But at the end of the day, the belt drive/gear unit will get the job done just as well, might wear you out a little more though.

PTP
09-11-2008, 02:38 PM
On my Toro 36" belt drive, I have never had a problem with belts slipping unless I just washed the mower. Yesterday, I was mowing in the rain and no problem.

The hydro's are superior though. It's the instant reverse that is the biggest bonus over belt drives.

STIHL GUY
09-12-2008, 11:20 PM
i mow hills in the rain no problem with my belt but after a long day in the hot sun a belt drive will wear you out

MileHigh
09-12-2008, 11:44 PM
From what I understand, Belt drives are the same. With Hydros, you dont get slipping because there are no belts to get wet. This seems enough to me because I like to start early in the morning when dew is still on the ground. Hills would be a challenge to with slipping belts.
I plan to try and demo bolt before a decision.

The same?...WHAT???

Belt and hydros arent even in the same league. Hydros have instant reverse, no belt slippage when jumping curbs, hills or when wet. And the biggest thing way less user fatigue. Plus if your concerned about efficiency which is money in my eyes...belt's pull sulky's like crap...or at least nothing like DUAL hydro pumps to wheel motors to much bigger drive tires than your belt.

I had to mow in the rain today...My belt drive metro barely makes it in days like this...When it's rainy I'll whip out the 21" before that ARSE BUSTING belt drive comes off the trailer. The belt sometimes will slip going up the trailer ramp....I HATE BELT DRIVE..and when I see them...I always laugh a little and am so glad that I least I have a couple of hydros to make my day much smoother.

And I have found that hydros are so much faster in reaction and smoothness. I get beat up when using my belt drive...It feels like a darn aerator compared to my hydros...and I'm talking about a 2007 Exmark.

stevenf
09-13-2008, 01:15 AM
The same?...WHAT???

Belt and hydros arent even in the same league. Hydros have instant reverse, no belt slippage when jumping curbs, hills or when wet. And the biggest thing way less user fatigue. Plus if your concerned about efficiency which is money in my eyes...belt's pull sulky's like crap...or at least nothing like DUAL hydro pumps to wheel motors to much bigger drive tires than your belt.

I had to mow in the rain today...My belt drive metro barely makes it in days like this...When it's rainy I'll whip out the 21" before that ARSE BUSTING belt drive comes off the trailer. The belt sometimes will slip going up the trailer ramp....I HATE BELT DRIVE..and when I see them...I always laugh a little and am so glad that I least I have a couple of hydros to make my day much smoother.

And I have found that hydros are so much faster in reaction and smoothness. I get beat up when using my belt drive...It feels like a darn aerator compared to my hydros...and I'm talking about a 2007 Exmark.

Thats why I mentioned the Hydro not haveing belts to get wet. :hammerhead:

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
09-13-2008, 08:36 AM
I like the hydroes better make sure and get one with 2 pumps not 1 if you can get it in the size your looking for !!

lawnbandit
09-13-2008, 08:51 AM
save your money. you'll just me a low baller...how about you start out window cleaning or picking up dog crap. thanks:drinkup:

Jmill88
09-13-2008, 09:20 AM
Nice. No wonder customers don't appreciate those that work in this industry.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
09-13-2008, 09:26 AM
i mow hills in the rain no problem with my belt but after a long day in the hot sun a belt drive will wear you out

This was one reason we swicthed to wright standers ! You cant imagime the difference. Once you experience the difference you'll never go back to walk-behind mowers. Also our productivity went up by at least 30%.

lawnbandit
09-14-2008, 08:15 AM
No kidding. Cant wait for the calls( can you cut my grass for 5.00 Tim said he could) :confused: next thing.how much should I pay to cut your 5 acres. lets help this guy out!:confused: