PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Business Plan

Advantage Lawn Care KY
09-11-2008, 12:27 AM
After almost a year of research i put this business plan together

Was going to start this year but a illness to my mother kept me from doing so

Am ready to start this upcoming season though

This plan is a Go Big plan hoping to make this my carrer and make good money while doing so

Business Plan for 2009-2010 Mowing season

Name - Premium Lawn Care
Advantage Lawn Care - "Always One Step Ahead"

Goals - Start a succusful business by providing superior lawncare at a competitive price.

Experience - Working as a full time employee on one of the top golf courses in daviess county
Working as a part time employee for a succusfully owned solo lawn care business

Advertisment - mass amount of advertisment including Door Hangers, Flyers,Paper Ad, Yellow Book Ad,
Business Cards ,T-shirts, Yard Signs,Truck Magnents, Trailor Signs, and good work intreging costumers to refer

Flyers- Pass out around 5,000 flyers by myself Febuary - March
Company to pass out 20,000 Flyers from March 1 - April 1

Referals - Costumers get 10 % off for each client (25 % max) that they refer to our services and

Projected Costumers based on Advertisment -

Door Hangers - With a .5% feed back - 125 Clinets
Paper Ad - 10 Costumers per season
Yellow Book - 10 Costumers per season

145 weekly clients

With other advertising not having a controlled number it is hard to correctly estimate succusess.

EStimate Yards Per Week Based soly on door hangers with a 1 % feed back rate

Low - 80 Middle - 165 High - 225
Weekly income
(25 $ avg. yard) 2000 4125 5625

Yearly income 48000 103125 135000

PLAN BASED ON COSTUMERS

1-15 - Start with Push Mower , Edger , Weedeater , Blower

16-60 - Solo with 32" zero turn mower , edger , weedeater , blower, shrub trimmers
Will be also offer Mulching , Shrub Trimming and minor landscaping

60-100 one employee same equipment and services

100 - 150 Two employees same equipment and services

150 - 200 One crew with 3 employees Two sets of equipment and provide same services
One crew with 2 employees

Starting Investment -

Push Mower - 600.00

Commerical Edger - 400.00

Commerical Weedeater - 250.00

Commerical Blower - 250.00

Door Hangers - 1600.00

Door Hanger Dist. - 2000.00

Newspaper Ad - 120.00

T - Shirts - 50.00

Weedeating Line - 35.00

Trailor Sign - 10.00

Yard Signs - 100.00

Truck Magnent - 40.00

Total - 5415.00

Investment for Upgrade - After 15 weekly Yards

Commerical Zero Turn Mower - 4500.00

Trailor - 1000.00

Yellow Book Ad - UNKOWN

Trimmer Racks - 180.00

Total - 5600.00

Total Investemtn - 11015.00

Keys to investment -

After all expenses are payed 50% of the remaing weekly income will be payed towards loan.

So tell me what you think or if you see any flaws any advice is welcomed and appreciated

davis45
09-11-2008, 12:43 AM
Looks like you have alot of thought into this. I want to wish you luck gaining that many accounts, it will be tough but good luck. First off I would say a higher average lawn than $25. You also need to add time in there for shrub trimming, leaf cleanup, and misc jobs. with 100+ customers it is certain alot will want these things done.

Now prices, couple concerns.

Newspaper Ad - 120.00 ..... How long will you run this for? I can get the small town papers for about $20 a month. However, I think I was paying around $114 for the larg newspapers.

T - Shirts - 50.00 ...How many do you plan to buy? I believe if your having them screen printed the setup fee alone will be about $20 or more.

Trailor Sign - 10.00 ...I would reccomend not going cheap. Amateur signs will make you look like a scrub IMO. Spend a couple hundred and get good professional signs.

Good luck!

P.Services
09-11-2008, 12:51 AM
my first thought was to laugh!!!! second thought was learn how to spell trailer. commercial blower $250???? try $500 whip $250????. you are just going to be another lowballing hack.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
09-11-2008, 12:59 AM
Best of luck. Why bother with yellow pages and newspaper if your only going to gain (expected to gaid) such few customers from the high dollar investment? The main problem will be handling the phone calls once they start rolling in. You'll have to go out to each property to give an estimate. With that many accounts you'll need to have good quality equipment as well as qood backups.

davis45
09-11-2008, 01:00 AM
Ok ok, I re-read this and your missing alot. You only have prices for ONE blower and trimmer. Grab a couple of each. Backpack blower? Say a little over 500. Trimmers around $320 each. What about mowers? if you plan to have that many accounts, if your mower is down for a day your WAY behind. Might want to think about a backup mower also. Add in money for repairs and maint. also. Spark plugs, oil, oil and air filters, fuel filters, etc etc. I see no spot for your large FUEL bill either. Remember your taxes also, thats a huge part. INSURANCE, workers comp, license/FEIN number. After reading this over, your leaving alot out. Sit back and look EVERYTHING over again then post up your new plan.

Do you already have a truck? Your not going to get much of a trailer for $1k either.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-11-2008, 01:15 AM
Nice work, you put some thought into this.
as Davis said, in your financial forecast, you forgot GAS which is huge, taxes (income tax and soc sec tax), insurance (at least Genl Liab.)

Also, you mentioned a loan to start your biz. If you start small, forget the loan. Scratch and claw your way to a few customers first with a few nice pieces of equipment, then upgrade from there. You don't need no stinkin loan:)

Also, passing out 5K flyers seems way aggressive by yourself, unless you have help (which you may have). I would knock this down to a 1,000 or so.

M&SLawnCare
09-11-2008, 01:25 AM
I thought your equipment estimates where low as well. Unless your planning on using second hand equipment, in which case you need to budget quite a bit for upkeep and repairs. Truck magnets, trailer signs, and yards signs will go for at least double what you estimated, for something semi professional.

You might want to include how you plan to pay yourself in there as well. Since you mentioned a loan I'm guessing you have no money set aside. So how do you plan to pay your bills?

25 average a cut? That sounds very low unless your targeting tiny postage stamp yards, or planning to go for big volume at the expense of quality and low ball your bids (in which case you should change your slogan and focus on price, not superior quality).

elite lawns
09-11-2008, 02:35 AM
man that alot of customer for the first year but good luck at it

topsites
09-11-2008, 03:28 AM
It sounds good, but I seem to have missed the definition of successful...
The rest of it isn't bad, but I would address the success issue, somewhat,
some kind of way, doesn't have to be perfect.

ALC-GregH
09-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Good luck handing out 5000 flyers within a month. You will be doing it 10hrs a day. then 20K flyers? Dude, that will take more time doing then you'll imagine.

I've found that handing out flyers and other stuff won't get you to the top. Word of mouth and quality of work will put you there.

All_Toro_4ME
09-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Yea, I would pass on the 5K flyers. Use that time and money to market the business a different way. Thats very time consuming and you may or may not even get the return that you are projecting. Potential customers seem to be very needy and finicky at first with "their needs and their yard" until you establish rapport.Then sometimes it still exists. Check into having a website built, advertise your services there and put the website on your bus. cards. Also, I'd look at getting more startup equipment then what you have mentioned. You could mention what type of push mower you are looking at. Thats going to be a lot of work though pushing that near 100 pound mower in the heat all day. I'd spend the extra money and go self propel. Make it a goal, rather long term or short term to have 2 of most everything. Be prepared for equipment breakdowns and downtime. It will happen, even with commercial equipment. Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-11-2008, 12:01 PM
my first thought was to laugh!!!! second thought was learn how to spell trailer. commercial blower $250???? try $500 whip $250????. you are just going to be another lowballing hack.

Go easy on the guy, he is just trying to get a good start at doing what he likes to do. People like you will cause him to think he don't have a chance.

Good luck, I have been in business a few years and I will be making up a "business plan" over the next week or so. Yours has really influenced me on how I should do mine.

The Best Of Luck To You,
Austin

P.Services
09-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Go easy on the guy, he is just trying to get a good start at doing what he likes to do. People like you will cause him to think he don't have a chance.

Good luck, I have been in business a few years and I will be making up a "business plan" over the next week or so. Yours has really influenced me on how I should do mine.

The Best Of Luck To You,
Austin

i hope you meant to say "yours has really influenced me on how i shouldn't do mine" i was drawing up better plans in the 8th grade when i was day dreaming about grass and girls.

thats the point, dont waste your time you dont have a chance to become anything worth while with that kind of investment. all these hacks think they can go drop five grand and be rollin in the loot the first year. this line of work isnt going to make you rich or even provide a steady good income when your at that size. its just a joke to see all the lowballers these days, they have no idea the money it takes to run a real reputable lawn service.

take that money and go take a few college classes and get a job working for davey tree or some one, i bet my life you will make far more money, have way less stress and get so much farther in life.

tedfrk
09-11-2008, 08:28 PM
picasso services.Why do you have to try and make everyone feel beneath you?How old are you anyway?Is that your company or your dads?Or are you just lucky enough and take it over.What gives you the right to judge someone who took some time and put togther his first business plan?Of course you must have always known how to do everything with your fathers equipment.Instead of making the guy feel like !@#$ why not take your time and post some positive things about starting a business from scratch.not everybody has a rich daddy!!!!

Daily Lawn/Landscape
09-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Advantage,

Fist off, I would like to wish you luck. Most of the people that have nothing good to say, probably have never seen a business plan let alone write one.
I'm very familiar with your market, just being across the river from you. I know that you are correct in saying $25 per residential lawn and even your commercial amounts are well below average. What I have found in your market is a lot of people with a truck and a mower are out low-balling. Where you have to come in to this is with Professionalism and Quality. I sub out some commercial business in your market and the company I use now was surprised at the dollars he would be making thru my contract with him, because of what the low-ballers have done to the market. There is a lot of potential in your area, it's just going to take some time and hard work to get where you want to be. You will also need to offer full service. If you can't do it all find someone that can and sub the work out. The commercial accounts are looking for this.

Second, Don't borrow any money to get started. Start out small and build from your profits. It may take you a little longer to get there, but if you do it this way you will be a fixture in the market and be around in the next 3-5 years when most businesses fail (because they borrowed).

As far as advertising, yard signs work well. Get out and talk with businesses about providing service to them. Tell them why they need you, and what you have to offer. Yellow page ads can be costly so shop around. User Friendly phone book has some great starter rates. Just be sure to negotiate your rate every year.

Hope this helps some.
James

P.Services
09-11-2008, 10:09 PM
i dont try to make everyone feel beneath me, that was just how i felt. i think people have good intentions but truly dont have any clue what goes into doing this for real. to tell you the truth i really have to hold back on some of the guys on this site, this one i only told him how i felt i dont think i was mean.

the guy the other day that wanted to load up his truck with mulch and tools and just go drive around and knock on doors just sounded like a hack, dont get me wrong if your gona do something like that do it right. make sure you have nice trucks and equipment all lettered up (yes people care) dressed in matching company apparel, talking about what you have to offer while presenting a nice informative professionally made brochure or flier with actual pictures of YOUR work before and after. i wouldn't even mention doing work until i have started to build a relationship with my future client.

if we could crack down on the hacks that steal lawns from the professional companies we would be able to prosper and be comfortable charging a respectable rate and not have to worry about advanced cuts or what ever his name is coming in to charge 25 bucks a pop!!

did you see anything about insurance in his biz plan? NO because he hasn't even thought about that. thats a huge thing to over look. do you think he and the others like him have insurance??? NO.

there will always be the people who want a professional crew maintaining their property and there will always be the ones that will settle for a hack.

ok my new advice for him.......... go work for a real crew for a month at least, i did it for a full season and it was the best thing i did to prepare me for my business venture. his thoughts will change sooooo fast.

and to answer your question, no my father doesn't and never has had anything to do with my biz. nothing at all we dont talk to each other at all if ya really want to know.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-11-2008, 10:12 PM
I think Picasso Services is intimidated, thinking some one could possibly be better than him. This guy is planning to buy HIS OWN equipment, how about that concept?

P.Services
09-11-2008, 10:14 PM
i dont get your "his own". i own all my equipment. oooooo hell i just looked at your equipment list..... your one of them!!!!!!!!!

Kennedy Landscaping
09-11-2008, 10:16 PM
I have paid cash in full for everything I own thank you very much.

Just forget it, the guy started this thread to get advice and opinions not for this crap.

tedfrk
09-11-2008, 10:17 PM
ok sorry for my rant i did not mean any disrespect,i too am starting out in this business,and i guess i took it personal to some level.thanks for going lightly on me,lol you sound like a good guy,i respect the way you answered my rant,

P.Services
09-11-2008, 10:25 PM
hey i dont mean to come off as a huge jerk, i to have maid the same list many years ago. i maid the choice to learn the trade and save the money to do it right all at once. i wish more people would just think about stuff.

ok today i saw a company in a 2000 ish silverado 1500 on 22's all lettered up called "jamin out lawncare" stereo bumpin no shirts on acting like a couple of fools. i see a new one like that every day. i wish there was such thing as lawn care police, you get shut down for being a excessive lowballer or just acting afool.

i mean who the f that isnt high names there company jamin out? how dumb and unprofessional. maybe i just dont get it.

Dynamic
09-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Picasso, why even come on this site if you are just a jerk off every time you type. This is the place to inform and teach the newbies to what they need so they aren't scabs. Your insulting and disrespect to everyone should be time spent on educating. Equipment lists do not show how prosperous one is or will be or if they are scabs(lowballers). Plus if you are so great at what you do then why are you even worried about the $25 lowballers, because most lawn professionals wouldn't want to deal with those type of customers anyways.
LEAD BY EXAMPLE FOR THE NEW OR TAKE UP LAWN BOLLING AND STAY OFF THIS SITE.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Picasso, I will however agree with you on that one. That is very unprofessional. No shirts alone is unprofessional in my opinion, if your doing company work you should have a company shirt on. But to be using a truck with 22's and the stereo cranked for lawncare is a whole new ballgame. But to name your company jamin out lawn care is just reatarded IMO.

Lawn_Enforcement
09-11-2008, 10:48 PM
First off, Give the guy some credit for making a plan. It may not be right in your opinion but it feels right to him. Second thing is this is a site meant to be for advice not on knocking grammar or just to make fun of him. By the Way PICASSO ..... your line in your reply wrote something to the sort you cant get rich.... I beg to differ. You can do anything you put your mind to. Picasso once again..... Good Luck to you and everyone else on here we need to stick together and help out the people who need help not discourage them to give up there lifelong dreams. Anyone can do well in this business with training, and time. Advantage I am outside of Lexington somewhat near you. If you would like I would love to talk with you on the phone to listen and help you with questions, or concerns, or anything lawn related. Dont give up on your dream. you can contact me by email to get my number or look me up on yellowbook.com, Email address is lawn_enforcement_llc@yahoo.com

Joey Blake

Father&Daughter Lawn care
09-11-2008, 10:49 PM
Good luck with your new business. This line of work can be very fun and profitable. It can also stress the crap out of you. Think twice about the loan. Take me for instance. I have not mowed in almost 30 days due to lack of rain. Fortunately I have no outstanding loans. The odd jobs can get me bye. If I had loans I would be in some deep crap financially.

You do need to rethink your prospectus. It has to include Fuel, maintenance costs and insurance. These are your biggest expenses. Anyway best of luck.

mownblowllc
09-11-2008, 11:11 PM
this was my first year starting a lawn care business the right way, and it just takes time to pick up yards. If you do u good work your name will grow.

Good Luck zach

davis45
09-12-2008, 12:10 AM
I personally like your attitude Picasso. You think highly of yourself and couldn't care what others say about you. You also tell people exactly whats on your mind and what you think about their operation. Way to be brotha.

P.Services
09-12-2008, 12:40 AM
I personally like your attitude Picasso. You think highly of yourself and couldn't care what others say about you. You also tell people exactly whats on your mind and what you think about their operation. Way to be brotha.

im typed up a big huge thread yesterday that included all of this stuff and a lot more but decided not to post it, i figured i would just get flamed by every one. i realy just think the vast majority of people on this site are the ones i am sick of seeing ruin the industry. dont get me wrong i know theres a few dozen that run a "real crew"

Kennedy Landscaping
09-12-2008, 12:55 AM
No need to run a whole crew if you do fine as a solo. IMO

davis45
09-12-2008, 12:59 AM
No need to run a whole crew if you do fine as a solo. IMO

I don't want to get anyones panties in a bucnh. But I think your one of the guys he is referring to.

P.Services
09-12-2008, 01:08 AM
im just real stuck on being as professional as possible. to the point that i feel shirts always need to be tucked in and must have collars, radios quiet in trucks, no yelling on site, no smoking. i laugh when i see home maid fliers printed up, im just always trying to look bigger and better then i am.

nothing wrong with running solo but you just have to do it right, look like your some one big and important and better then every one else. make the neighbors want you on there property. don't just look like another hack.

P.Services
09-12-2008, 01:17 AM
I don't want to get anyones panties in a bucnh. But I think your one of the guys he is referring to.

i believe he would be a classic candidate. but all finger pointing aside i guess i just dont get where guys like you think your going to get. i know i know every one started small at one time. maybe i just have high goals for myself and my company but i need to make some serious money to support my "wants" and "needs" in life.
i dont believe these kind of guys have really sat down and thought about a 5, 10, 20 year plan. solo your whole life? good luck buying your own home supporting 2 kids and a wife who wants a bmw and vacation home. yeah you will make some cash but in the long run was it worth it? in five years when your still working your ass off and only pulling 30 40k a year you will realize you need to come up with a new plan....fast... what are you trying to become? are you really going to get there? is it possible? a lot of people give it there all and fall short.

GreenAcresLC
09-12-2008, 01:26 AM
Premium Lawn Care. I'll remember to keep an eye out for you. This is my first year in the business in Owensboro. I would flame you about being another lowballer coming to MY market, but I'm just not that kind of guy. Instead, I would rather wish you GOOD LUCK. As for the biz plan, don't let everyone here get you down. Some have had good points though. GAS is a killer. As is Business License/Taxes, etc. As is INSURANCE. If you plan on getting into the commercial market, Insurance is a must. Likewise, it should be on your priority list even if you just plan on doing residentials...people are sue happy these days. It has been beaten like a dead horse on this site (just do a search) about insurance, but it is true. Kill a plate glass window with a rock...without insurance, you're out a few hundred bucks, with insurance, you're out a small deductible. Now, harm a human with that same rock....I'm sure you see.

Like I said, I'm in the city you will be starting up in. People here are used to the "neighbor kid" cutting grass for next to nothing. But, some are ok with paying for class, style, and professionalism...not to mention a PERFECT job. Take on each and every job like it is your own, make passers-by WANT you on their property. If they see it enough, and both of you want it bad enough, you WILL make it happen.

Like I said, GOOD LUCK. Oh yeah, if I'm out working, you can't miss my rig. White Dodge 4x4 pulling white enclosed 6x12 vnose trailer, both lettered in chromed green. If I'm out working, stop in and introduce yourself, I'm open for conversation.

JW
Green Acres Lawn Service, LLC
Owensboro, KY

davis45
09-12-2008, 01:30 AM
. but all finger pointing aside i guess i just dont get where guys like you think your going to get..

I assume your talking to him and not myself? I will never again work as a solo operation. I've worked solo in years passed and I started THIS season solo. I now have one guy working about 30 hours a week and a couple other that are 'on call basis'. Plan on starting next season with 2 FULL time guys.

Advantage Lawn Care KY
09-12-2008, 01:32 AM
Picasso Services - First of all this is a rough draft plan thats why i got on here to see if i left anything out. I can take advice but to say go on somewhere else you wont make anything out of yourself is a little harsh and to tell you the truth for someone who cares so much about proffesionalism you sure do show it being the nice helpful guy you are

Sorry i couldn't respond to all the post i had a long day today

as for insurance and biz lic. i knew from the start i needed that in there just seemed to slip my mind when i did this because i did it all in one night just messing around trying to put all the info that i have learned together.

As for the loan - my parents have a HUGE college fund saved up for me and what im going to school for (firefighting) im not going to use a large sum of it. They are giving me that money to start with that i would be getting in the future anyway. So basically im using my money that i would get after i graduate.

Sorry if i couldnt answer all the questions and the business plan wasnt supposed to be that detailed it was just one that i came up with one night when i had nothing to do

Dynamic
09-12-2008, 04:23 PM
[QUOTE=Picasso Services;2510580]im just real stuck on being as professional as possible. to the point that i feel shirts always need to be tucked in and must have collars, radios quiet in trucks, no yelling on site, no smoking.

Picasso, the statement above is absolutly true in expectations for our industry. I would also recommend operators joining a professional organization as I have done(Landscape Ontario) were they have not only great networking opportunities but they also sort through the lowballers from the professionals to except into there organization. People identify with there logo as to being professional or not.
I put some mean stuff on here earlier as to what you had to say about the business plan and newbies but this is the STARTING A LAWN CARE BUSINESS THREAD and thats what there on here for. In hind sight as well now, seeing he is going to become a firefighter and not stick with this, well that is what hurts us all expecially when hes a firefighter making good money and really able to lowball like most of the shift workers, retirees, and people who just want to make some "spending money"

P.Services
09-12-2008, 08:39 PM
yeah i agree about being a fire fighter and then doing this for beer money. he is a class act.

Liquidfast
09-12-2008, 09:52 PM
hey i dont mean to come off as a huge jerk, i to have maid the same list many years ago. i maid the choice to learn the trade and save the money to do it right all at once. i wish more people would just think about stuff.

ok today i saw a company in a 2000 ish silverado 1500 on 22's all lettered up called "jamin out lawncare" stereo bumpin no shirts on acting like a couple of fools. i see a new one like that every day. i wish there was such thing as lawn care police, you get shut down for being a excessive lowballer or just acting afool.

i mean who the f that isnt high names there company jamin out? how dumb and unprofessional. maybe i just dont get it.

Picasso, I see your point(s). I hate lowballers too but everyone has there place.

If it were not for them, people wouldn't call the pros like you to take care of them the way they wanted from the beginning.

However, just because someone is cheaper, doesn't mean they are lowballers. This topic has been KILLED.

I will say this though.....never, and I mean NEVER call someone out for spelling errors when you come across dumber than them shortly there after.

Just my two cents.

Liquidfast
09-12-2008, 09:53 PM

Picasso, I see your point(s). I hate lowballers too but everyone has there place.

If it were not for them, people wouldn't call the pros like you to take care of them the way they wanted from the beginning.

However, just because someone is cheaper, doesn't mean they are lowballers. I know a lowballer personally and I know of few (if any) companies who could compete with his work. He could take any customer from anyone.........just a dumb as nails scraper with no real future........thank god. Otherwise, he would be a serious threat. This topic has been KILLED..I am done.

I will say this though.....never, and I mean NEVER call someone out for spelling errors when you come across dumber than them shortly there after.

Just my two cents.

PestPro
09-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Personally, I thank god for the lowballers everyday, cause most of the time I get customers from them, after they have screwed up something and the homeowner calls me in to correct the problem. Now of course I am talking cockroaches not lawncare. I am not going to even going to list all the equipment I have. HAHAHAHA

Kennedy Landscaping
09-13-2008, 01:21 AM
I do have a guy that is on a "on call" type deal where I'll call him up if I need him. Picasso I have a question for you. My on call guy is from another company so he brings his own equip. and uses that. He could use mine if he wanted but I think he just prefers to bring his own but anyways. I tell him to be ready at say 7:45, I show up a shade before 7:45 and he hasn't even gotten his company shirt on yet, trailer not loaded or hooked up, nothing ready. So then we are always late getting to a job, which is why we leave early anyways. His weed eater isn't strung up ready to go so half way through the first yard he has to stop and respool, then he don't have any string, so he has to use mine, he dumps grass on top of my gas cans, he never tucks his shirt in and when I say to do it he says Oh it'll be fine. I don't want to fire this kid because he has been a good friend for a long time and I don't want to make him mad and quit or anything like that. I just want him to be prepared and use common sense and be a professional about stuff. Any advice on how to correct this?
Thanks

davis45
09-13-2008, 02:21 AM
I do have a guy that is on a "on call" type deal where I'll call him up if I need him. Picasso I have a question for you. My on call guy is from another company so he brings his own equip. and uses that. He could use mine if he wanted but I think he just prefers to bring his own but anyways. I tell him to be ready at say 7:45, I show up a shade before 7:45 and he hasn't even gotten his company shirt on yet, trailer not loaded or hooked up, nothing ready. So then we are always late getting to a job, which is why we leave early anyways. His weed eater isn't strung up ready to go so half way through the first yard he has to stop and respool, then he don't have any string, so he has to use mine, he dumps grass on top of my gas cans, he never tucks his shirt in and when I say to do it he says Oh it'll be fine. I don't want to fire this kid because he has been a good friend for a long time and I don't want to make him mad and quit or anything like that. I just want him to be prepared and use common sense and be a professional about stuff. Any advice on how to correct this?
Thanks

Wow, i'm confused. I read in your thread that you have NINE accounts. Why on earth would you EVER need a helper to do nine accounts?

Kennedy Landscaping
09-13-2008, 02:25 AM
He helps with landscapes and bigger projects. Only mowing when I am behind and have landscape projects holding.

davis45
09-13-2008, 02:33 AM
He helps with landscapes and bigger projects. Only mowing when I am behind and have landscape projects holding.

Still lost. 9 accounts can easily be done in one day solo. That leaves you 4 days, 5 if you work saturdays, to do Landscaping. Just doesn't add up to me.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-13-2008, 01:09 PM
I only get to work from 5 to dark, I have a maintenance job at a funeral home, I do take off occasionally though to go mow.

Dynamic
09-13-2008, 08:36 PM
I only get to work from 5 to dark, I have a maintenance job at a funeral home, I do take off occasionally though to go mow.

This is where I will sound like Picasso, make a man, is it funeral work, or is it lawn cutting. You already have an income, why do you take work from the people who have decided to make this a profession and quit there jobs. This is exactly my identification of scabs or lowballers. Like I have said before I classify scabs and lowballers as the shift workers, the people who already have a job, the students, and the retirees.
This is what hurts our industry. The only way I can except one of the above other than the retiree is if they are taking this work on slowly in order to gain enough accounts so they can go full time at lawn cutting/landscaping.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
09-13-2008, 09:38 PM
This is where I will sound like Picasso, make a man, is it funeral work, or is it lawn cutting. You already have an income, why do you take work from the people who have decided to make this a profession and quit there jobs. This is exactly my identification of scabs or lowballers. Like I have said before I classify scabs and lowballers as the shift workers, the people who already have a job, the students, and the retirees.
This is what hurts our industry. The only way I can except one of the above other than the retiree is if they are taking this work on slowly in order to gain enough accounts so they can go full time at lawn cutting/landscaping.

If your threatened by the so called lowballer, scab you might not be doing a good enough job in my book. All of my customers pay top dollar because they get top notch service. Not something lowballers and scabs offer. You should more concerned about the professionals. There is a lot of work I pass up out there because of location and size. That is where the lowballers and scabs you talk about come in to play.
The reason he works a job and cuts grass after work is because he lives in The United States of America and takes part in Free Enterprise.
We all have to start somewhere. I started out working a full time job and mowing nights and weekends. I had no intensions of doing this full time until I quit my job on Feb 3, 2002 because of the new manager that came in and started running things "his way". And what I mean by that is, his way of communicating was foul language and yelling. I would not be a part of that.
So in essance I guess I'm a scab in your book.

I'm sure you started out with a trailer load of equipment and some employees and just started mowing 80- 100 yards a week. Most people in this business are just not that lucky. I bet you also worked for cash and pocketed it and did'nt pay tax ie:(scum bag) in my book.

Why not encouage these people instead of bashing them. If we would all get on the same page, everyone would be better off. I always offer help to other contractors in my area, some of which you would classify as scabs and lowballers. I encourage not discourage!

James

Kennedy Landscaping
09-13-2008, 10:09 PM
I didn't post to get bashed, I posted for some advice, so if you don't have anything good to say to me don't say it at all!
Thanks Daily Lawn/Landscape

Dynamic
09-13-2008, 10:20 PM
We all have to start somewhere. I started out working a full time job and mowing nights and weekends. I had no intensions of doing this full time until I quit my job on Feb 3, 2002 because of the new manager that came in and started running things "his way". And what I mean by that is, his way of communicating was foul language and yelling. I would not be a part of that.
So in essance I guess I'm a scab in your book. James
Well since you enjoy encouraging, I STRONGLY INCOURAGE you to read my final statement saying The only time I don't have problems with students, shift workers, and people who already have work and are in the lawn business is when they are working towards getting enough accounts to go full time in the lawn/landscape business. But thank you on your speech on free enterprise in America it was very encouraging.

topsites
09-13-2008, 11:41 PM
Yeah and I'm not entirely disagreeing but the very stuff some folks say they despise is usually also half the fun of it.

Can't make no money in this dang business, half of the Lco's here and then a slew of customers out there keep talking about it should cost more...
AHAHAHA but then again I am so short on business and it's because I did exactly that
and also because I'm not here to haggle with them so I just tell them what they want to hear!

So is it me lowballing or is it the fact that I already knew if I quoted more there would be tension in the wires
that could last anywhere from a few minutes to several hours? My goodness, I want to come in, take a look at the work,
quote the price and get a yes or a no, just like that and thank you very much, do the work, collect my check and have a nice day.

All that time spent BS'ing around...
Maybe customers don't realize it or maybe they would have paid more but then why did I quote what I quoted
is because I knew what to say in order to get them to agree!
I ain't getting into haggling, I'm as well off quoting the stupid price to begin with.

Now by the time it's all said and done I ain't getting what I wanted to get,
they know it and I know it too and somedays I am sore tempted to take
my shirt off and I don't do it no more but back in the old days I used to work
topless more often than not.

Why?
Because it don't make a F of a difference, I could show up in a chauffeured
limousine wearing a suit and a tie and they STILL wouldn't pay more.
Ain't nobody here or anywhere else telling me nothing I don't know,
just gimme the damn work and pay me my crap quote and lets be done.

P.Services
09-13-2008, 11:50 PM
wow i hope that was a joke.

Dynamic
09-14-2008, 01:07 AM
I hope that was a joke as well. Topsites is a real role model with all that motivation. I think maybe sippin on to much of grandpas cough medicine.LOL

Liquidfast
09-14-2008, 10:27 AM
Yeah and I'm not entirely disagreeing but the very stuff some folks say they despise is usually also half the fun of it.

Can't make no money in this dang business, half of the Lco's here and then a slew of customers out there keep talking about it should cost more...
AHAHAHA but then again I am so short on business and it's because I did exactly that
and also because I'm not here to haggle with them so I just tell them what they want to hear!

So is it me lowballing or is it the fact that I already knew if I quoted more there would be tension in the wires
that could last anywhere from a few minutes to several hours? My goodness, I want to come in, take a look at the work,
quote the price and get a yes or a no, just like that and thank you very much, do the work, collect my check and have a nice day.

All that time spent BS'ing around...
Maybe customers don't realize it or maybe they would have paid more but then why did I quote what I quoted
is because I knew what to say in order to get them to agree!
I ain't getting into haggling, I'm as well off quoting the stupid price to begin with.

Now by the time it's all said and done I ain't getting what I wanted to get,
they know it and I know it too and somedays I am sore tempted to take
my shirt off and I don't do it no more but back in the old days I used to work
topless more often than not.

Why?
Because it don't make a F of a difference, I could show up in a chauffeured
limousine wearing a suit and a tie and they STILL wouldn't pay more.
Ain't nobody here or anywhere else telling me nothing I don't know,
just gimme the damn work and pay me my crap quote and lets be done.

Sites. Have hope. Have faith in the the good lord gopher software and hustler equipment.

I started out wanting the best shiny new truck and the best equipment (took the 3rd year for the latter) but I will tell you, there ARE people out there that WILL pay more for that "look" or "image" for lack of a better term.

Even in you, that hollow empty hole that once contained a vibrant beating oblong obtrusion you once called a heart is a place that feels that the simpler items in life are not necessarily better.

Just last month, I was ordering a replacement mask for my sleep apnea machine, I wouldn't dare look at the discounted or CHEAP masks. I went straight ahead to the MOST EXPENSIVE. The point of this is: My apnea condition is important to me. Some people care enough about their property to want the best. It does take time to find them and you better damn well expect to wow them and MOST importantly DELIVER on that promise and they will come.

LAST RAMBLE. I was at a wedding recently and after discussing taking over several properties from another company, I asked "Who does your snow?". They replied "DIAMOND". Anyone and everyone from my area knows Diamond. Diamond does NOT service this customer commercial properties in the summer (another co. does). So this guy tells me that come spring, the summer portion is ALL MINE. I thank him and started to go on about the new winter equipment I acquired and was promptly stopped as he stated there would be no way on earth he would switch.

This blew me away. I was at a wedding where this contract was handed to me by the father of the groom and the business owner is his best friend of 25 years. NO WAY. Diamond (to this customer) has given so much and delivered in every aspect that this customer is theirs to lose. And this was not the first time I heard about Diamond. A very well known politician had Diamond service their properties and during the quote process was TOLD to included their quote and REGARDLESS OF THEIR PRICE............hire them.

Topsite. I have to admit, I sometimes have to ingest large amounts of alcohol, tobacco, and one or two borderline illegal substances to make heads or tails of your posts (with all due respect of course) so this ramble may or may not make sense to you. However, don't discourage the future of our industry. If my cousin Leroy can make it.........anyone (including the chimp in Planet of the Apes) can make it.:canadaflag:

kyfireman2004
10-11-2008, 12:23 AM
Advantage lawn care
If you need anything just pm me. I might have some Res. accounts and mowers for sale this spring.
For the one's bashing firemen kiss my ***...............I am not here for beer money, the short term, low balling, and what ever else..........
I down sized to become a fireman and I love what I do ...........Most of the guys(Truck and trailer guys) on here will be really hurting come Jan. Thats why they love to bash people that do it part time. For all those that work full time and landscape on your days off here a link. Its a retired cop that started out with a riding mower. He now does right at a million a year. He did more but down sized a little about 2-3 yrs ago.
I guess he is doing it for beer money too.........lol He must, he is retired right!!!!!

kyfireman2004
10-11-2008, 01:01 AM
Sorry here's the link......

www.doyleslawnandlandscaping.com

GreenAcresLC
10-11-2008, 01:03 AM
Advantage, you haven't replied or even commented since 9-11...are you still looking at this mess? This thread got kinda nasty pretty quick, but that's the nature of the beast on here sometimes. If you are in Owensboro and have any questions, I'd be willing to at least try and offer some advice. Not saying it would be good advice, just advice. User Friendly Phone Book in the Yellow Pages. Look me up if you need anything. JW

papillion
10-11-2008, 02:21 PM
i hope you meant to say "yours has really influenced me on how i shouldn't do mine" i was drawing up better plans in the 8th grade when i was day dreaming about grass and girls.

thats the point, dont waste your time you dont have a chance to become anything worth while with that kind of investment. all these hacks think they can go drop five grand and be rollin in the loot the first year. this line of work isnt going to make you rich or even provide a steady good income when your at that size. its just a joke to see all the lowballers these days, they have no idea the money it takes to run a real reputable lawn service.

take that money and go take a few college classes and get a job working for davey tree or some one, i bet my life you will make far more money, have way less stress and get so much farther in life.

I'm new to the board and just trying to learn all I can from the pro's. I never intended to post unless I had a question I could not find on the board. However this reply the the original post I found way out of line. I thought the amount of accounts he hoped to get the first year rather high, as did most. You telling him "you dont have a chance to become anything worth while with that kind of investment" is about the most unprofessional response I have ever read. Why don't you try and help the person out with your wealth of information instead of just bashing him. He made the post because he's seeking help before he starts this business. Do you know the average income or home price in Owensboro? Do you know what that going rate there for lawn care is? Chances are you probably just shot from the hip with out educating yourself first. Do you know he's a lowballer as stated "its just a joke to see all the lowballers these days"? What if $25.00 is the going rate. "Take that money and go take a few college classes and get a job working for davey tree or some one, i bet my life you will make far more money, have way less stress and get so much farther in life.". Well there is a wealth of information, why not tell him what classes he may want to take Mr. "Real reputable lawn service.". All I'm saying is stop bashing the guy and help him out you have the experience show it be professional.

I might suggest you get a biz builder cd it's really easy to use. Good luck with the business in 2009 just remember it will probably start slow. I'm looking at buying a existing business with 15 accounts. Thats about all I need for what I want. Best of luck.

Weedas_Lawn_Care
10-11-2008, 02:32 PM
1-15 yards with a push mower is fine but if you had 10 yards a push mower would get old quick and i would quickly invest in a 32"-36" walk behind for gats in the long run ect. but it looks good and some things you dont need to exactly add in now but worry about it when the time comes with the little stuff (nuts and bolts weed eater string or whatever) but it looks good and good thinking

Kglenn04
10-15-2008, 12:31 AM
cut the paper ads it is a waste of time and money

ted stevens
10-15-2008, 11:28 AM
yeah, this is full of problems.... i think you're spending way too much on advertising.... i'm VERY familiar with the market in your area....i had a lawn care co. there for 20 years....

you're in an area that won't really respond well to alot of " high falooting" advertising... i learned this the hard way....remember you're in the lawn care business....

i'll re read your post.... and while it's interesting , i think you're way too much on the advertising... with the web and other methods , there's alot of ways that are much more efficient....