PDA

View Full Version : leaf box question to those that have one or had one.

bigw
09-10-2008, 11:27 PM
I am in the process of building my leaf box for my trailer and was just wondering is it ok to use 2x4's on the inside of the box inorder to butt 2 seams together of the plywood? I have them on the outside in the support slots as well but is it ok to have some on the inside also or will they prevent proper dumping?

bigw
09-10-2008, 11:57 PM
anyone????

Even Cut Lawn Care
09-11-2008, 12:53 AM
Big W, I used 3/16x2 flat steel to butt mine together and the bolted thebedge of each piece to the flat steel. I dont know how you are building yours but my frame was all steel.....

bigw
09-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Big W, I used 3/16x2 flat steel to butt mine together and the bolted thebedge of each piece to the flat steel. I dont know how you are building yours but my frame was all steel.....

just out of plywood and 2x4's

soloscaperman
09-11-2008, 11:21 AM
I might do the same as Big w, with my truck.

I might make one for my trailer, well just the sides

bigw
09-11-2008, 02:32 PM
no one else have an opinion :confused:

ALC-GregH
09-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Are you going to mount them top to bottom or front to back? I would say it will be fine. It's not like your loading it with dirt. Leaves should fall right out. Then again, it might get tight enough that it will cause the load to stick and not dump easy.

How long is the trailer? Maybe you can run 3 long boards front to back at the top middle and bottom of all the sheets and screw them in place. This way the load will slide out in the direction as the boards.

bigw
09-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Are you going to mount them top to bottom or front to back? I would say it will be fine. It's not like your loading it with dirt. Leaves should fall right out. Then again, it might get tight enough that it will cause the load to stick and not dump easy.

How long is the trailer? Maybe you can run 3 long boards front to back at the top middle and bottom of all the sheets and screw them in place. This way the load will slide out in the direction as the boards.

the seams will be going top to bottom so i was going to run the 2x4's top to bottom inside also, i just wasnt sure if it would hinder dumping the leaves.

ALC-GregH
09-11-2008, 03:34 PM
it could hinder it some but I doubt it would be a issue dumping.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
09-11-2008, 07:40 PM
not done with that box , the leaves will be falling .....need pic s when done.....

bigw
09-11-2008, 09:07 PM
not done with that box , the leaves will be falling .....need pic s when done.....

getting there!

Frue
09-11-2008, 09:11 PM
make a door frame out of 2x4s its pretty simple.

nobagger
09-11-2008, 09:17 PM
no one else have an opinion :confused:

It should be fine. Stagger the screws down the 2x4 so it doesnt flex as much. Also we framed in the entire top and if you do that just make sure the
2x4's run solid where the plywood joint is.

MGV
09-12-2008, 01:21 AM
Built mine out of plywood and 2 x 4's on the inside only. No problems with the leafs hanging up when dumping. Make sure you have a good sized opening in the top of the box to let the air out. I used metal screen to cover the hole, keeps the leaves in but covers the truck in dust....