PDA

View Full Version : 5 acre mowing

fastcat
09-11-2008, 12:34 AM
i have someone wanting me to give them a price on mowing 5 acres. they have 8 acres but only 5 is grass. trim around the house and edge the concrete driveway. i was thinking around 185 per mow. does this sound right or is it low.

mississippiturf
09-11-2008, 12:49 AM
Should be higher. How often plays a role as well as man-hours to compete the job. IMHO

stevo22
09-11-2008, 01:13 AM
i cut a 4acre yard with irragated bermuda...lots of edging and weedwackn
...250 a cut...i hate cutting that yard...takes me right at 2.75hrs...

Lawnut101
09-11-2008, 01:24 AM
i cut a 4acre yard with irragated bermuda...lots of edging and weedwackn
...250 a cut...i cutting that yard...takes me right at 2.75hrs...

Wow, your making around $91/hr. That seems pretty high for here. But if you can get it, great for you.

As far as 5 acres of mowing, I would be around $240 with a little trimming, or more with a lot of trimming. It just depends on your area.

LushGreenLawn
09-11-2008, 07:36 AM
I would have quoted around $240-$250 with a little trimming also. 5 Acres is more than you think...

Scagguy
09-11-2008, 03:53 PM
i have someone wanting me to give them a price on mowing 5 acres. they have 8 acres but only 5 is grass. trim around the house and edge the concrete driveway. i was thinking around 185 per mow. does this sound right or is it low.

It's whatever your area will support. If someone called me offering $185 for 5 acres, the next thing they would hear would be the dial tone.

dhardin53
09-11-2008, 04:14 PM
I totally agree its all location dependent. and what ever the going price for your part of the county will pay.

But form your information there is one thing that tells me bid higher.. "Its 5 mowing acres in 8 total acres" You will find the house, garage's, driveways and planters that you don't mow all get in the way and take time to get around. I do a commercial lawn thats only 3 acres rather open but spread over almost 2 city blocks. When trimming I get a good walk to just get to all the spots. this is extra charges.

TPendagast
09-11-2008, 04:28 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Well exmark tells you that a 60" lazer Z will cut 5 acres per hour,so charge them for one hour!

:nono:
I know so many people who use that as an estimating tool.

It takes quite a bit of work to do 5 acres depending on what machinery you are using.

Personally, if you dont have a 60" Ztr dont bid it.

If you do, I'd look at getting $75 to $80 per hour for it.
But never tell your client what you are charging per hour, give them a price for the job, never talk about hourly rates for mowing.

if you do have 5 acres I would charge $150 for the cut.
Then, how many trees to cut around? say $2 per tree, now how many full landscaped beds will get clippings tossed in them by side discharging with a WAM?
No serious amounts of landscaped beds and its all foresst or wild grass? leave it alone.

Landscaped beds, drives walks etc to blow off? add 15%

Lineal feet of trim that will need to be done weekly?

Put it in the category of either : minimal, average,high or extreme.

IF it is minimal dont add any additional charge. Average add 10%, high add 15% and extreme add 20%

So a basica 5acre lawn with 20 tree to mow/trim around , heavily landscaped with an average amount of edging/trim would work out to $150 (plus $40 for going around Trees) (plus $30 for excess blowing of landscaped areas) (plus $22 for average trim) the total is $242.00

Each lawn is different then, you cant just say "what should I charge for a 5 acre lawn"?

All_Toro_4ME
09-11-2008, 04:38 PM
What kind of equipment do you have to mow the 5 acres with? I have several large, multi acre properties that I use my Z to mow them with. I generally aim for about a $1 -$2.50 per minute. Just depends on the property. After you mow multi acre lots for a while, you get to know a very good window as to how long your equipment will take you to get the job done.

topsites
09-11-2008, 05:23 PM
That 185 is the right price, you could even do it for 170 if you want the work.

Depends on your mower, but assuming you have at least a 48" deck then it
will take you around 45 minutes per acre flat out mowing, the larger decks allow
a slightly more leisurely pace but anyhow...
45 x 5 = 225 minutes, then figure an hour or so for trimming and add something
for blowing... It's possible you can cut it down to 40 minutes per acre as well,
but for the sake of argument lets just make it 5 hours.

At 170 you're still grossing 34 an hour, what some folks fail to understand
is 60 an hour is real easy to get when you only work for 15-20 minute
stretches at a time, but once the labor turns into hours you're as well if not
better off shooting for a lower hourly rate and get paid the entire time.

Let me put it this way:
If you had two lots like this, 5 acres each.
Do one in the morning, break for lunch, then do the other in the pm...
You'd still gross 340-370 for the day.
You'd have to mow TEN $35 lawns for the same money!

Another thing too though, 185, 190, it's almost the same thing.
You can quote 185 and it's slightly better than 190 but not by much.
180 sounds a little better, because that 5 at the end likes to ruin things lol
The best prices usually end in 0, been my experience.

So...
If you quote 190 the guy is somewhat likely to agree,
185 is almost the same, 180 is a little better then 175 a bit better still,
now if you quote 170 I can almost guarantee you'll get the job,
but I wouldn't go no lower and then that there gives you
some bargaining room margins as well.
So you might start at 185 or 190 but be ready to come down a bit.

Peace out

Icepuck72
09-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Go for $200

mybowtie
09-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Depends on your mower, but assuming you have at least a 48" deck then it
will take you around 45 minutes per acre flat out mowing, the larger decks allow
a slightly more leisurely pace but anyhow...
45 x 5 = 225 minutes, then figure an hour or so for trimming and add something
for blowing... It's possible you can cut it down to 40 minutes per acre as well,
but for the sake of argument lets just make it 5 hours.

Peace out

$185 for 5 hrs. Might as well flip burgers at McDonalds....By the time you figure in gas to get there, gas in your equipment. Insurance and other costs, your not making sh!t..........

Dunlaps LawnCare
09-11-2008, 07:27 PM
more like $250

TPendagast
09-11-2008, 10:28 PM
:weightlifter:more like $250
strange I came up with $242... Pretty close eh?

meets1
09-11-2008, 10:36 PM
5 acres of mowing for an "estate home" should command quality which equates into higher dollars. I would go about $230. That is if your sure you get the job.

In my area, that would go around $150 - $175 max. I know one that is all bagged, ditch area, trees, around 4 1/2 acres total mowing. Price is $102.00 plus fuel surcharge.

jeffscap
09-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Sounds like you guys pull prices out of your assets! What happens if you have a hustler 12ft zero mower? You can bang five acres out in about an hour.

mowerbrad
09-11-2008, 10:50 PM
I would say around $240 would be a good price. At $185 you are only getting $37/acre, I personaly would go for something closer to $45/acre or a little more.

bryant lawn & landscape
09-11-2008, 11:00 PM
stevo22- I'll take that yard you hate off your hands. :waving:

subzero
09-11-2008, 11:01 PM
I do several 5 acres cuts here.... that 5 acres of grass .. empty lots... just grass .. I average 1 acre per hour with a 72" diesel... I do a nice job .... it should be 65.00 per hour so $325

TPendagast
09-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Sounds like you guys pull prices out of your assets! What happens if you have a hustler 12ft zero mower? You can bang five acres out in about an hour.

what if what if.

There is a reason you dont see those hustler and howard price WAMs any more.
ZTRS kick their butt.

there is so much time lost in turning, manuvering and trimming what those things miss, the 12 foot cut becomes a liability.

and, you would need a week of work for that machine to bother having it

Father&Daughter Lawn care
09-11-2008, 11:22 PM
Simple, how much do you want to make an hour?
Estimated mowing time X hourly rate= charge.

PTP
09-11-2008, 11:24 PM
I only have one large lawn that I mow. The lot size is just over 2 acres. I charge $120 per hour for me and my helper. The last charge was $230.

jeffscap
09-11-2008, 11:33 PM
ZTRS kick their butt.

there is so much time lost in turning, manuvering and trimming what those things miss, the 12 foot cut becomes a liability.

What are U smokin'

jeffscap
09-11-2008, 11:37 PM
what if what if.

ZTRS kick their butt.

What are U smokin':nono: I did say zero turn . Yes there captain I also run walkers and Z's

TPendagast
09-11-2008, 11:41 PM
12 foot wams are not ztrs

tnpete
09-14-2008, 08:55 AM
My own yard is 4.3 acres, Lots of trees and on a hill. Long driveway. and just the cutting with a 61" Z take me a little over 2 hours. When you have trees and stuff. Your time is cut way down. And I can tell you. If it were not for my wife telling me. IT has to be cut. It would not all get cut.
Also lots of people think they can cut what the manufacturers show per hour. That is open fields and wide open and every pass at 60" not happening in the real world.
Shoot with a 10 ft bushhog and the 95 HP Kubota I can get 5 acres an hour in our wide open pastures. And that is about it. And then that is moving at 7+ MPH . Turns and stuff cuts into the time fast.
Pete

David Haggerty
09-14-2008, 09:47 AM
12 foot wams are not ztrs

Maybe not as most people understand a ZTR to be. But most will give a zero turn radius with no uncut circle of grass in the center. Except for the Howard Price 16' HP180. It leaves a 22" uncut circle.
The Hustler 12' wing mower is a negative radius turn mower. Where the wheels counter rotate like the typical ZTR.

The real issue is wheather to invest in equipment or labor. We all have our opinions on which is more efficient.

TPendagast
09-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Many moons ago, Brickman group on the east coast used gravely two wheel tractors with the 30" single blade mower on them and 21" push mowers.

IT was not an uncommon site to see a uhaul style box van pull up to a job and have a crowd of mexicans jump out with 21"s or gravel tractors and spread out like ants of the property.

During the winter months, those same commerical propeties would be taken care of by bands of mexicans with gravel two wheel tractors with blades on them to push snow.

Always lots of guys, always little machines.

Years later when I started doing work for myself, I found myself on the same property. Huh where was brickman with thier 10 guys and tiny machines?
I would cut the entire place with my 60" and a few areas with my 44" walk behind.
I would be on these properties for 3-4 hours. I would charge $240.00 or there abouts per property.
Im pretty sure they more or less charged the same many moons ago. But with 10 guys there for 1.5 hours you would have 15 man hours into the property.
These guys werent even pulling $20 per hour. (or maybe they used to get $300 for it and so they were pulling $20)

Back then, it was acceptable to get $7 per hour to push a mower, I remember getting $6.50.
I have no idea what business overhead was, but I know gas was 94 cents a gallon and none though for a second about driving a 4 barrel carb truck around all day.
So lets say the hourly portion of the over head came out to $5, so they used $12 of the $20 to cover their costs and they made $8 off each guy, so $80 per property per cut.

Nowadays, $240 in 3 hours is $80 per hour. Over head will chew up around $30 per hour for a 'real' company. paying the guy on the machine (assuming its not you , but you should fit in your own pay anyway) lets say is $20 with all the payroll mathing etc. So you have $50 in cost and $30 for gross profit.
Times 3 hours is $90 per property per cut GP.

Ironic isnt it? there isnt that much gain in profit over the years, just a massive cut in labor.

The real issue is inflation, you cant live off of $7 per hour nowadays and you could find 10 guys to work for you to cut those lawns now. You'll be lucky if the guy you do hire will show up consistantly.

Now if one guy took 15 hours to mow the place with a 21" mower for $240, thats $16 per hour.
But over head is REALLY low.
Paying off a $1000 21" mower wouldnt take long, fuel is definately less you dont need much truck or trailer to haul it around with and the storage facility/shop would be the wood shed.
Repairs/maintenance wouldnt be nearly as expensive so lets say you had direct costs of $4 per hour. Meaning you are gaining $12 per hour on that property. That's $180 of profit per property per cut.
But it takes you a day and a half to complete.
So you can only do 4 of those in a week. So you weekly GP is $720.00

With the 60 inch mower scenario and $90 profit margin you can do three propeties per day, and make $270 in one day.
In a week you could easily do $1080.00 in GP with just yourself.
If you pushed yourself and didnt factor in maintenance etc you coulddo more, but with more machine etc there is more maintenance and factored down time,so I didnt push the numbers way out.
Suffice to say you can make more money with that ZTR and do less work so you have more time with family than you could with th 21" push mower.
BUT as you can see the 21" push mower can still make you close to the same living because the business model for that is alot of work and a little overhead.

The problem is in order to make his $720 per week, push mower man only needs 4 properties, thats four customers to keep happy and he only needs to depend on those 4 to even exist.

60" rider man needs 12 of those same properties, and if he gets under bid on 4 of them, he is upside down on his profits.
the machine doesnt really justify itself becuase he cant get the work.

If push mower man looses one property, his overhead still spreads out over the other jobs, and he can work at krispy kreme part time to make up the difference in the income he has lost.

Every wonder why there are so many "johnny side jobs" wandering around?
Possibly its a viable business model?

AJ Lawnscapes
09-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Wow, think I've been undercharging for the Daylilly Farm I mow. 5 acres total, about 4.5 mowable, with beds galore I have to circle around and the house area and planting area.

I charge $125 and it takes me 2 hours with a 48" WB with a Velke.

PORTER 05
09-14-2008, 12:23 PM
im my area 5 acres, i would cut it for $400 depending on the trimming, we have 1 property thats alitte under 1 acre , cut it for $90 with very very very little trimming.....

MOturkey
09-14-2008, 01:10 PM
I, compared to lots of you on this site, am a relative newbie (5 years in business), but I've learned one thing when it comes to mowing, the motto is the same as real estate: Location, location, location.

I mowed a 2 acre property for 4 years. The fastest I was ever able to mow it with my 60 inch was one hour and 20 minutes, and that was pushing it. Just picked up a new property two weeks ago, 2 1/2 acres. Mowed, and trimmed in one hour and 5 minutes. New property is flat, pretty smooth, and only has 4 small trees, so even though the area of turf is important to know, the actual time to service the property varies tremendously due to numerous factors totally independent from the number of square feet.

meets1
09-14-2008, 06:49 PM
All you guys out there talking about a WAM vs a Z - how many of you have actually used a WAM? You save time with a Z cuz you can turn on a dime. Wam is cutting alot of area at one time.

My experience is this: 60 Z on an empty lot, 2 acre is done in a matter of minutes with the wam. I missed a bid last year on a 33 acre complex - the guy got and used 1 72, 1 60 and 1 52 Z. He was mowing there all day. Owners were not happy with perforance and lost it and now Ihave it again. I have this one for 6 yrs now except last year. I place 1 - 2 WAMS there and were done b/f noon, starting at 8.

Are any of you guys farmers?? Farmers do the end rows first during harvest, enough to turn and burn! I do the same thing. So in your minds a 6 row planter or corn head is easier to turn - which it is - is more productive than say a 24 row planter or a 12 row corn head due to there larger size and combersome turning radius.

There is no way, on a large area that a Z is going to match productivity of a WAM.

TPendagast
09-14-2008, 09:35 PM
I have spent most of my commerical lawn mowing expereince doing industrial and athletic field maintenance.
My crews averaged 26 acres a day.
Ive done entiresoftball fields in the time it takes to load and unload a WAM, not to mention my mowing speed of 15 miles per hour on wide open flat beat the WAM.
Also the cost of my machine, storage of my machine and maintenance of my machine was much less than the WAM.
And I can use my ZTR where I cannot use the WAM.

If you have enough work to consistantly keep a WAM busy ok.
If you loose the WAM jobs you can still mow lawns with a 60 Z.

Most of my WAM expereince is limited to older
Hustler products and howard price equipment.

In most cases when a landscaper pick ups a 5 acre lot, there is no call for goingout and buying a WAM.

TPendagast
09-14-2008, 09:43 PM
I was thinking about an earlier post of mine this monrng on this thread.

Comparing the guy with the 21 to the guy with the 60 Z.'

In this economy, trying to mow, you needto be the most flexible.

Counting on a pricey machine that you might not be able to even pay for is things go south isnt the brightest idea.

Thats why the 48" is still made I think.

IF you own a 48 and a 21 you can fit them both in the back of a toyota, and pretty much make $40 per hour easy in a high desnity area where there are plenty of lawns.
You could keep yourself busy 40 hours per week and haul in $1600 gross.
With fuel , insurance and what not, you could bring home $1000 a week for your family.

IF you live in a place where you can mow most of the year, you can haul in a decent wage.

Maybe thats why I dont ownand Z any more and I have 2 36" hydros and a 21" hydro?

I never even made a conscious decision to do that. Ha!

meets1
09-14-2008, 11:03 PM
If someone gets one 5 acre parcel and the rest of his clients are 5 - 10 K yards. They maybe A: He shouldn't take the 5 acre gig. B: He takes the 5 acre gig and only has a 21 and 48 which are under achievers for the 5 acre gig therefore has him on here asking about what equipment and every while responce is different. Does that make him justify a 60 Z when there is no place in his client list for that size of unit?

I also mow a few softball/baseball fields and will only use the Z due to the Z's ability to make the turf look "nice". I can also bag as needed where our 3 WAMS won't and shouldn't be in that place.

I run 4 toro 44 wb, 8 21 jd wb, 4 52 Z, 2 72 front mounts and 3 WAMS. Each mower has its purpose and place in the whelm of mowing. Not every machine is mowing 12 hours a day for 6 days a week but I'll tell ya this - we change alot of oil and sharpen many blades!

slickfifty
09-15-2008, 10:23 PM
I just started a five acre job two weeks ago for 185.00 per cut. It includes a house, small house, barn lots of trees. I'm kicking myself in the butt over it right now. I was thinking $240-280 then I thought the owner would not go for it So I went down on the price. I should have stayed at 280.

TPendagast
09-15-2008, 11:02 PM
I dont understand what you mean by if a guy doesnt have a 5 acre job, he shouldnt take one.

How will he ever get 5 acre jobs if he doesnt take on the first one?

I started out with a 48" belt drive wb.

I didnt have any work. I figured Id do more shovel and wheel barrow work than anything.

A freind of mine who owned a lawn mower business was going out of business and was willing to sell me a Lazer Z which was brand new at the time for 6 grand.

I talked to my dad about it who "will it help you mow lawns" well of course the answer was yes, but heck I didnt HAVE lawns to use the mower on!

By June in that same year I was buying my second 60 inch Z
By my second year I was doing high schools and munciplaties.

You have to make a leap of faith in business one way or another.

Either you take on the first 5 acre job and kill yourself with a 48" wb, or you buy the 60 inch z and try to get 5 acre jobs.

One way or another, chicken or the egg, oneof them has to come first

johnnybravo8802
09-17-2008, 12:19 AM
I swear that sometimes I think you guys are in a different business than I am. You wouldn't get over $150 for 5 acres in Ga. and they'd probably argue with you on that. I used to mow a solid.....9 acre yard for $250 and she whined the whole time. It took 4 hours with a 72" Ferris IS4000.

TPendagast
09-17-2008, 01:01 AM
Do you know WHY you only get $250 for a 9 acre job? Because you AGREE to work for that little $$.

Ive been to companies that pay their guys $9/hr and Ive been to companies that pay their guys $15. Same job desciption.

Why do some guys get $9.00/hr? because they are willing to work for that little.

Refuse to work for that little amount of money, HECK I WANT my competitors to mow 9 acres for $250.00.

If I mow 1/3 of an acre for $30, and get it that means you are mowing 1/3 of an acre for $9.25. You have that huge expensive 72" ferris to do your job guzzling down loads of gas and I have $1200 of wb that I can mow all day on $12 of gas.
IF you spend half a day to make $250, I spend half a day and make $300, but the more 9 acre jobs you are working on, the less time you have to gobble up any of my 1/3 acre jobs.
Plus I have way way less overhead and investment to make my $300 than you did to make your $250.00

Simply DONT work for that little, WHY buy that big ole mower? So someone ELSE can get a cheap price? Why do you CARE?
Let someone else loose a ton of money on that job, drop her tomorrow.

bigw
09-17-2008, 01:23 AM
I have a customer that has a business that is 2 acres that i get 90$ for but i also do his home which is 5 acres that i do for 180$.
NOW I FIGURE i make decent money for the 2 acres and if you think like i do i make good money for the 5 acres also.
See it takes me just under 3 hrs to cut and trim the 5 acre lawn so thats right around 60$ per hr BUT i drop my trailer door 1x dont have to go from house to house and burn all that gas and time. Sure i could have asked for more money but i think getting both lawns made it worth it to me.

TPendagast
09-17-2008, 01:40 AM
I drop my trailer door once too. All my lawns are within Velke riding range of each other, so I dont spend and more in gas or time getting to them.

Whether you have 9, 1/3 acre lawns or one 3 acre lawn, whats the diff? they should all make you $270.00

Once you've figured out how much the lawn should cost, then figure out how to best invest for your lawn route to do them the most efficently, which will help you make that higher $/hr rate.
But all that means nothing if you cant fill at least 4 days per week and 8 hours per day with constant work.

$80/hr is great, but if you only have 3 hours worth of mowing, you have too much mower.
The idea of the more expensive more productive mower is to fit more work in a single day.
$600 payments a month on a 72" Z for $240 per weekowrht of cutting doesnt make sense.

So the almighty $/hr is simply a statistic, unless you can apply it to a minimum if 40 hours per week.

If you have a 48" belt drive WB you can get as little as $30 per hour, and if you mow 8 hours a day it's still $240 that same day.
Buy big mower, cut grass faster and get $80 per hour but only have enough work for 3 hours per day, it's the same $240, but now you have higher bills and you actually take home less.

My advice is chase the work you can get everyday all day and figure out how do it the most efficently so you can cram as much as possible into awork week.
Out in indiana its not abig deal to find 40 hours of work mowing huge lawns with a 60inc Z.
At $80/hr thats $3200 per week.

But in an area where you have 1/3 acre lawns, that 60 z instgoing to help you much but a 36 stander might rock. you can do 20, $30 lawns a day that way and rock out $600 a day and that means $3000 per week.
Almost what the big lawns guy is doing!

It's all geographic and what kind of lawns you have to do.

The 36 stander guy who bills out $3000 for 40 hours of work is pulling down $75 per hour. The 60 inch Z guy is toting $80/hr but has higher fuel and loan payments than th 36 inch stander guy and therefor 36 inch stander guy is actually doing better, even though his billables are 200 less each week.

The key,as always is getting the right price for the lawn, not the right price for your machine. Buy the machine to do the work, dont find work for the machine.

johnnybravo8802
09-17-2008, 04:53 PM
All you guys out there talking about a WAM vs a Z - how many of you have actually used a WAM? You save time with a Z cuz you can turn on a dime. Wam is cutting alot of area at one time.

My experience is this: 60 Z on an empty lot, 2 acre is done in a matter of minutes with the wam. I missed a bid last year on a 33 acre complex - the guy got and used 1 72, 1 60 and 1 52 Z. He was mowing there all day. Owners were not happy with perforance and lost it and now Ihave it again. I have this one for 6 yrs now except last year. I place 1 - 2 WAMS there and were done b/f noon, starting at 8.

Are any of you guys farmers?? Farmers do the end rows first during harvest, enough to turn and burn! I do the same thing. So in your minds a 6 row planter or corn head is easier to turn - which it is - is more productive than say a 24 row planter or a 12 row corn head due to there larger size and combersome turning radius.

There is no way, on a large area that a Z is going to match productivity of a WAM.
What happens when that WAM goes down? You have no mower to mow with. If you have two 72" mowers, at least you continue to mow, not to mention, you can buy 3 Z's for the price of one WAM. You get a better cut and mow in tighter places. It's a lot to think about. I didn't even mention the maintenance difference and cost of parts.

meets1
09-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Did you read my post? I have a few other machines that can back it up. 1 WAM - I have three.

I order direct and you know what - the Z and front mount mowers actually cost me more / part than the wam. Also that WAM is big money compared to a Z. Sure things can happen and not everything is bullet proof but so far this year I have spent more on repairs for the Z's front mount and WB than any of the WAMS put together.

Now the Z's have been belts, bearings, throttle cables. I replaced one deck belt on the WAM this year and that belt was cheaper than the deck belt on the Toro Z.

Farmers right now are choppen and those with 4 row heads and wagon are slow. The boys with 6-8 row heads running non stop cuz there blowing it into trucks on the run. Same principle applies.

jeffscap
09-23-2008, 09:59 PM
Maybe not as most people understand a ZTR to be. But most will give a zero turn radius with no uncut circle of grass in the center. Except for the Howard Price 16' HP180. It leaves a 22" uncut circle.
The Hustler 12' wing mower is a negative radius turn mower. Where the wheels counter rotate like the typical ZTR.

The real issue is wheather to invest in equipment or labor. We all have our opinions on which is more efficient.

Thanks Dave , I just now read post , Your exactly right the equipment and investment surley puts a wake up call on whats more efficient on the job you do. Tpendass[/I] has a totaly different idea on turf mowing then most.:waving:

jeffscap
09-23-2008, 10:42 PM
I have spent most of my commerical lawn mowing expereince doing industrial and athletic field maintenance.
My crews averaged 26 acres a day.
Ive done entiresoftball fields in the time it takes to load and unload a WAM, not to mention my mowing speed of 15 miles per hour on wide open flat beat the WAM.
Also the cost of my machine, storage of my machine and maintenance of my machine was much less than the WAM.
And I can use my ZTR where I cannot use the WAM.

If you have enough work to consistantly keep a WAM busy ok.
If you loose the WAM jobs you can still mow lawns with a 60 Z.

Most of my WAM expereince is limited to older
Hustler products and howard price equipment.

In most cases when a landscaper pick ups a 5 acre lot, there is no call for goingout and buying a WAM.

Man I don't know what your doing only 3 months on the site you must be some mircale landscaper! Your right your limited!

jeffscap
09-23-2008, 11:02 PM

I agree with you 100%. These guys have no Idea what they are talking about. If you pulled up to a 32acre job and pull out a 60"Z they would send you packin'. Bouncin' in that seat for 3times as many passes, U Bumped Your Head!:walking:

corey4671
09-23-2008, 11:24 PM
I have a four acre lot which includes the house, a couple outbuildings and a pool that I knock out in about 2 hours mowed and trimmed. I kid you not guys. I was surprised the first time I mowed it how fast I got done. I get $175 a week for it. I do it, a church yard that pays $110 and a large farm that pays $440 every Friday...I love my Friday route :D

jeffscap
09-23-2008, 11:25 PM
If someone gets one 5 acre parcel and the rest of his clients are 5 - 10 K yards. They maybe A: He shouldn't take the 5 acre gig. B: He takes the 5 acre gig and only has a 21 and 48 which are under achievers for the 5 acre gig therefore has him on here asking about what equipment and every while responce is different. Does that make him justify a 60 Z when there is no place in his client list for that size of unit?

I also mow a few softball/baseball fields and will only use the Z due to the Z's ability to make the turf look "nice". I can also bag as needed where our 3 WAMS won't and shouldn't be in that place.

I run 4 toro 44 wb, 8 21 jd wb, 4 52 Z, 2 72 front mounts and 3 WAMS. Each mower has its purpose and place in the whelm of mowing. Not every machine is mowing 12 hours a day for 6 days a week but I'll tell ya this - we change alot of oil and sharpen many blades!

There's no sence in arguring in this quib!
Pendassshas his ideas we know better. If he wants to mow for hours in his 6.5mphr mower he has the right. All this explains is that pendaass has never mowed with what he calls a wam. Which he doesn't know the difference between zero-turn and wide turn.:cool2:

JB1
09-23-2008, 11:28 PM
who give a rats azz, I'm out of ice cream.

jeffscap
09-23-2008, 11:32 PM
:cool2:who give a rats azz, I'm out of ice cream.Wooooo

Florida Gardener
09-24-2008, 12:48 AM
like someone mentioned before; figure out how much you want to make per hour and how long you think the job will take.

I live in Palm Beach County which has endless amounts of money. People with mansions on the beach and intercoastal, people living on 1+ acres of land in 2 close neighborhoods to me, and other moneybags who live in the cookie cutters. The thing with the people in the 1+acre houses is, they have to pay to get their yard done. They pay per cut and it is not going to be cheap. Why? Because they don't want to do it themselves and it takes way longer than the cookie cutter. You should be making at least 50/hour on these type of properties. If your work is good, and this guy knows that, then charge him. If they aren't willing to pay, see ya later. I'm not in business to cut people deals. My time is valuable and I get paid for it. Doctors and lawyers charge you a rate and there is no haggling. It is what it is. I just started in this biz, but one thing that was told to me was that my time is valuable, and you should get paid for it. Good luck and i hope that you get the job.