PDA

View Full Version : Tow aerators

accuratelawn
01-07-2000, 06:30 AM
Those that use a tow behind aerator.<br>Do you have problems tearing the grass when you turn? Can you use a ztr to tow one?<br>What is your opinion of the one for sale at turfquip?<br>

Eric ELM
01-07-2000, 06:55 AM
The one pictured looks like it would tear up the turf unless you raised it up each time you turned. I bought a Lesco (made by Classen) 42&quot; tow aerator last fall. It has a hitch so you can pull it behind a ZTR, which is what a friend of mine does. He is the one that told me about it. It has a split axle in the middle so you can turn without tearing up the turf. He said the only time it tears it up a little bit is when he tries to back up, but he can turn as short as possible and not hurt the turf. This one can also be used on a 3 point hitch, which is what I do, so that is why I can't tell you how it works behind a ZTR. It is built like a tank and it cost $1299.00. Our dealer told me to try it out for a day, if I didn't like it, bring it back. Maybe your dealer will do the same. If you want to see it, it is on my equipment page on my web site. <p>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html

LAWNGODFATHER
02-09-2003, 02:11 AM
I've got the Calssen and the Feldman tow.

I like the new Feldman turfvent that goes infront.

If I am not mistaken you will tear the turf to get plugs in it, and then in most cases seed to fill in the existing turf to thicken it up, so tearing is not much of a factor for me.

1grnlwn
02-09-2003, 02:20 AM
This aerator goes deaper than my WB would even think of. Keep the turns 90 deg. No problem. Hydraulic (correct spelling) lifts give a lot of flexibility. Of course I have pictures.

bob
02-09-2003, 12:53 PM
I've got a Lesco split drive aerator like Erics. This is the oldest thread that I've seen-over 3 years old!

rodfather
02-09-2003, 01:57 PM
I have a 36" Bluebird that I tow. The only problem I have every experienced is backing up with it...then it will tear the turf.

Strawbridge Lawn
02-09-2003, 02:11 PM
I have a 48" Turf Vent $500.00 and tow it with my ZTR and a smaller 14hp hydro rider. Ensure whatever you get has a split shaft setup that does not tear up turf when you turn.. Tes, backing up is a bit difficult and I would avoud it if possible.
Look at the PLUGR if you want an alternative to those mentioned here so far. I have had mine 2 years and all I have had to do is replace the tines and belts once.

thartz
02-09-2003, 03:58 PM
I use a Grate Poker.It's basically a steel drum with hole punching tines welded to it.Very reasonably price and tough as nails.You'll see an ad in Turf Mag. on occasion.

Envy Lawn Service
02-09-2003, 07:29 PM
I've been thinking about getting one of those drum types myself. I have one like that with spikes (not pluggers) to do new site prep with. It works good for busting up clumps, smoothing things out and it leaves a ton of little slits behind. But I haven't found much other use for it.

I can't remember the brand name of my plug type aerator. But it has independent turning tines. It's kind like those homeowner types you see at home depot but way way heavier built.

Honestly I don't like my plugger a lot because believe it or not it does do more damage during turns than I thought it would. Also once in a while the tines get lined up just right to bang you around. Plus you have to fool with adding blocks for weight.

Those things are what's leading me towards a drum style plugger. Surely it can't do much more damage on turns, can it?

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
02-09-2003, 08:18 PM
i have been tossing this idea aroud for a while now......why not design an aerator 1grnlwn's but that is fixed to the back of a ZTR and instead of regular wheels put castors on it so it has 0-turn capabilitys. then have a button to control the hydrulics to make it go up and down.

What do u guys think of this....has anyone ever done it?

LAWNGODFATHER
02-10-2003, 01:49 AM
Turfvent/feldman did similar, it's in front.

HarryD
02-10-2003, 11:39 AM
1grnlwn
we have spell check now;)