PDA

View Full Version : whats a good price for moving fill matieral?

09-11-2008, 02:25 AM
Just THINKING about bidding on something. Probally wont bid, but thinking about it if I can line up a couple ppl to come on board.

Its filling sinkholes from an old underground mining operation. Basically old mines were filled in, and over the yrs the fill settled, and now they need to be refilled.

There are 4 jobsites:
~ 65 yds
~ 185 yds
~ 1200 yds
~ 2050 yds

All fill material is located on site, not sure the haul distance. Guessing within 1/4 mile. An excavator is required to be onsite. Loader may be used for doing the work, excavator just must be there. (part of some sinkhole standard the state has adopted states it just must BE there) - Could use the ex to load trucks, and the loader to fill the hole after the truck dumps, or vise versa. I also need to grass seed the area upon completion.

Anyways, they want a price per yard. And a mobilization price.

I am thinking something like $3000 to show up. (the mobilization price is per jobsite also, so 12k total mobilization)

I am thinking about $27-35/yd.

I would be paying 2-3 rental trucks by the hour on the 2 larger sites for sure. on the smaller sites just 1 rental truck.

I am estimating this job at just under 100k total. Remember its State work, and spread over 4 jobsites. I dont expect many bidders on this job.

What do some of you excavation guys think? Thanks!

09-11-2008, 02:42 AM
Oh I forgot to mention, the loader would be rented also. I will find out rental prices tomarrow, but am pretty sure I can get a 544 for about 5k/month. Will probally hire out a excavator, will find prices on that tomarrow to.

Just wanted to see if you guys think about $30/yd would be ballpark for this work.

Thanks!

Junior M
09-11-2008, 08:05 AM
Why not dump the dirt in the hole and use a dozer to spread it?

YardPro
09-11-2008, 08:08 AM
tomorrow, not tomArrow...

$3K mobilization seems SUPER high.....but what do i know....

RockSet N' Grade
09-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Image......if you get that one, you just hit a home run OR give me the site info/number and we will mob. there and do the work.

stuvecorp
09-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Image......if you get that one, you just hit a home run OR give me the site info/number and we will mob. there and do the work.

Sounds good to me, if Rock can't I could. In my experience it is surprising who comes out of the woodwork to bid on stuff. Your estimate seems kinda high even for government work but if you can get it, why not.

stxkyboy
09-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Way to high

09-11-2008, 03:26 PM
ok guys, how high am I then? What is this job worth to your company? There are alot of little things in the contract that make the price go up a bit, like only working m-f, scheduling it with state so they can be present, showing proof of equal rights/ minority employment, lots of paperwork involved. Work wont start until mid Oct, and must be complete before freeze up. Its a 34 page solicitation:hammerhead:

It's one of those things I dont want unless its great profit, because it's all new to me, and if I underestimate a cost somewhere I want to make sure its STILL profitable and worth the headache.

CAT powered
09-11-2008, 07:29 PM
I agree with junior. Have your mandatory excavator loading trucks and get a decent dozer to spread the material. You'll get a nicer finish and be more productive.

I'm thinking something like a D6 or a 750 Deere for size. That should blade off loads pretty quickly.

CAT powered
09-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Forgot to add.

I've spread 50,000 yards, no that is not a typo 50,000, yards of material in under a month with a 750J Deere dozer and 3 dozen trucks or so.

09-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I had actually thought about Jr's idea some today also and was thinking its a pretty solid idea.

I priced rentals today, figured just rent for the whole month/176 hours.

544 loader= $4650 or 644 loader = $7000
120D ex = $4200

I think with rental equip, and rental trucks, and transportation I will be at about 20-25k expenses. I may be super high on my bid, but I am gonna run with about an 85k bid. If I get it, GREAT, if not, oh well.

Junior M
09-11-2008, 08:38 PM
I would go back and check on a dozer, imo a dozer and excavator combo with trucks running back and forth will be your best deal and your finish product will look alot better like cat said..

why are you thinking a loader?

Dirtman2007
09-11-2008, 10:36 PM
I would also consider a dozer instead of a loader. An excavator to load the material, I would get one bigger than a 120 to keep up with the trucks, maybe a 200 size machine.

We have a komatsu D39 dozer( weighs 20,000LBS) and it had no problem spreading 1200 yards of dirt in a 1.5 days, it was also being compacted and I had pleanty of time to kick back and wait for the trucks to return.

It'll push 15 yards of dirt in 3 good passes.

Junior M
09-11-2008, 10:39 PM
Also if you arent sold on the dozer idea remember when you go to scoop up a little dirt to move that has to be moved 100ft you are just going to push it anyway.. and besides you are probably just going to end up filling up the bucket on the loader and then just push the dirt to where you want it and have more than you need because your bucket will be full...

09-11-2008, 11:57 PM
I think you guys are right on about the dozer, especialy because it has to be finish graded. I was just thinking loader because its what I am used to using from back when I did road construction, so it was the first thing that popped into mind. I'll get a blade price tomOrrow ;)

stuvecorp
09-12-2008, 01:05 AM
If you are using material from the site and most likely all it has to be is back bladed with some seed thrown at it, I really couldn't see much more than 20,000? Maybe it is real difficult conditions? The 3000 to show up also is kinda high, my humble opinion. Think about it, a guy shows up with a 700ish dozer, 200ish excavator and 3-4 trucks(that are pulling the equipment in) and will knock this out very fast.

Scag48
09-12-2008, 01:27 AM
$80,000? Are you nuts? If you can make that happen, you are the man, call it a year after that. That job could be done in days with a 200 loading 4-5 trucks and a D6 size dozer spreading the material. Figure in your cost for seed and the labor to put it down and that's it. 1/4 run is hard to say time wise depending on road conditions, if they're decent you should be able to get a truck to do a 15 minute cycle. Multply by 4 trucks that's easily 160 yards per hour, you could knock out 1,600 yards in a 10 hour day. $120/hr. for the dozer, $130 for the 200, $90/hr. for each truck, total of 30 hours. I get a bid of about $18,500 just for the dirtwork, toss in another $1,000 bucks or so for the seeding and get 'er done.

09-12-2008, 01:38 AM
The state has a 1 Billion $$$ surplus they are trying to give back... figure I will try and get my share out of this job :)

kreft
09-12-2008, 06:40 PM
make it an even 100 grand then..... lol

Digdug
09-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Sounds like the estimates are all over the place. I would guesstimate that you could go $150,000ish +. BUt I havent seen the bid request. Dont forget you probably wont be paid for 90 days , leaving you to foot the bill for this whole project. (add carrying costs). You will probably have 10% warranty retainage held out for 12 months. Probably have to warranty the erosion and grass growth for 12 months. You probably will have to be bonded (added costs) . You definetly arent to high on the mobilization! Front load all the money you can , you will need that first influx of cash the worst.
This is just my opinion , I have not seen your bid request. But dont sell yourself short . Good luck , doug

MRBsx2
09-12-2008, 09:01 PM
Once i read your first post i thought roughly $75,000 for this job sounds good...
here again i didnt run any numbers but from the looks of everything and dealing with the goverments bullshit i think 75,000 is were i would be rougly for this job, and SCAG 1000 dollars for seeding thats it? that wouldnt even cover materials, straw is 5 dollars a bale here on the east coast and seed is high also.

howierd3866
09-12-2008, 09:53 PM
$80,000? Are you nuts? If you can make that happen, you are the man, call it a year after that. That job could be done in days with a 200 loading 4-5 trucks and a D6 size dozer spreading the material. Figure in your cost for seed and the labor to put it down and that's it. 1/4 run is hard to say time wise depending on road conditions, if they're decent you should be able to get a truck to do a 15 minute cycle. Multply by 4 trucks that's easily 160 yards per hour, you could knock out 1,600 yards in a 10 hour day. $120/hr. for the dozer, $130 for the 200, $90/hr. for each truck, total of 30 hours. I get a bid of about $18,500 just for the dirtwork, toss in another $1,000 bucks or so for the seeding and get 'er done.

I think Scag is close to the money...you are only talking app. 220 loads if you do it yourself since you will have to rent the equipment for a month you and your ex can do this within 22 day by yourself without pushing yourself. At one time we got $2.00 yd for loading and $2.00 hauling within the jobsite/homesite. Like they said it will take 90 days to get paid so you got to figure something for that. Are all the site at the same location or do you have to load and transport the hoe more money and dont forget renting you need ins. and extra money because the rental company going to charge you both way for transporting equipment...myself thinking about $35K for doing it ...good luck