PDA

View Full Version : How much $ can i make?

JMiller08
09-11-2008, 02:29 AM
Heres my story. I am just turning 18, just graduated. I started helping out on small landscape projects and caught the bug. I picked up one lawn and with a few small jobs and that one accoun i was able to buy a brand new echo backpak blower stick edger and trimmer. All echo. I used my 21 in pusher. Loaded in and out of my pickup. I want to go big time this spring. I have talked to my local small business planning group and have everything planned out. I am purchasing a used w/b and trailer this winter. Will be doing lots of advertising. Now heres the question, how much money can i possibly make my first year with hopefully a packed schedule. Most lawns in my town are from .25 to .5 of an acre, mow trim edge blow. 5 day work week. How much can i make. Please give me an idea guys you are the pros! Thanks for reading i know it was long.

ALC-GregH
09-11-2008, 09:57 AM
millions.....

stevenf
09-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Figure out your minimum price and how many weekly lawns your goal is for the first year. Multiply!

davis45
09-11-2008, 03:27 PM
millions.....

2 million with one helper seems legit.

PTP
09-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Here are the assumptions

Mow solo
15 lawns per day = 60 lawns per week
Average price $35 per lawn
Average overhead $5 per lawn
30 week season

60 lawns x (35-5) = $1800 per week
$1800 x 30 weeks = $54,000

The things that are going to decrease your profit this year are the fact that you are not starting out with a full customer load and the revenue will not be there. You will also spend more money on advertising and on equipment. You will end up with significantly less than the $54,000 projected.

davis45
09-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Here are the assumptions

Mow solo
15 lawns per day = 60 lawns per week
Average price $35 per lawn
Average overhead $5 per lawn
30 week season

60 lawns x (35-5) = $1800 per week
$1800 x 30 weeks = $54,000

The things that are going to decrease your profit this year are the fact that you are not starting out with a full customer load and the revenue will not be there. You will also spend more money on advertising and on equipment. You will end up with significantly less than the $54,000 projected.

hmmm? 15 per day would be 75 lawns my friend.

$5 per lawn overhead? Does that include trimmer, mower, truck, trailer, fuel, blower, trimmer string etc?

30 weeks? We're not in Oklahoma, over here I think we get about 28-30 if there is a perfect season and weather, in reality maybe 24-28.

My guess, starting out with one lawn, working solo. You may be able to Net $5-8k next season. Given that you pick up some more customers.

4 seasons lawn&land
09-11-2008, 07:30 PM
a packed schedule is'nt realistic for your first year.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
09-11-2008, 08:29 PM
dude no way 2 know what you might or might not make ............................

PTP
09-11-2008, 11:29 PM
hmmm? 15 per day would be 75 lawns my friend.

$5 per lawn overhead? Does that include trimmer, mower, truck, trailer, fuel, blower, trimmer string etc?

30 weeks? We're not in Oklahoma, over here I think we get about 28-30 if there is a perfect season and weather, in reality maybe 24-28.

My guess, starting out with one lawn, working solo. You may be able to Net $5-8k next season. Given that you pick up some more customers.

You are right, it should be 75. Adjust numbers accordingly.

I did however account for the shorter mowing season. I do 36 weeks down here although I admit that we are pushing the envelope a little. When I am figuring my yearly numbers, I figure on 30 full weeks because the first and last few weeks get a little sparse.

LushGreenLawn
09-12-2008, 07:38 AM
You are right, it should be 75. Adjust numbers accordingly.

I did however account for the shorter mowing season. I do 36 weeks down here although I admit that we are pushing the envelope a little. When I am figuring my yearly numbers, I figure on 30 full weeks because the first and last few weeks get a little sparse.

Everyone's different, but my overhead runs about $13 per lawn, which includes depriciation on equipment that everyone seems to forget about.

I would like to know how to pick up 75 lawns in one season, let alone your first when you are starting from basically scratch. Everyone I talk to is lucky to get 15 per year, spending thousands on advertising.

JohnnyRoyale
09-12-2008, 08:15 AM
Its easier than youthink to pick up a whackload of cutting work quickly. When I started, i did resi cutting only. I aligned myself with two of the biggest fert/squirt companies in the area. They werent interested in cutting, I wasnt interested in ferting and squirting-it worked out well for both of us. Two and a half years later-300 accounts. I rode that wave for 5 or 6 years before i started switching over to commercial work only.

JohnnyCuts
09-12-2008, 08:25 AM
I picked up 30+ lawns from scratch this year. It's really simple. Pass out enough doorknob hangers and talk to enough people until you have as many as you want. I got right at the 1% return expected and spent less than $600. Paid a couple guys $8/hr to help pass them out and passed out about half myself. You can make as much as you want to JMiller, it's all up to you. Don't buy things you don't need. Don't "overbuy" on equipment. Keep things as simple as possible to start. My advice is to take a couple business classes to get a firm grasp on biz concepts starting out.

LushGreenLawn
09-12-2008, 01:09 PM
There must be a reason wgy you dumped 300 residential accounts to just do commercial. Could it be that you got to 300 by pricing way to low, and were not making any money from them?

Its nice to gain alot of accounts, what whats the point if you are underpricing them? Everyone that I am friends with in the business grows a little slower, mabye 15 or so per year, but they are accounts that are profitable, and can self support themselves when it comes time to hand them to a Crew Leader and a couple of Laborers.

09-12-2008, 07:53 PM
millions.....

going over the books that seems about right.

shovelracer
09-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Come on guys thats not realistic. You wont make a million for a few years. Your first year will be a loss cause everytime you make a dollar someone will stick their hand out and ask for 2. Your second year you will make just enough to have a few beers, fill your tank, keep your CCs out of default, and of course still live at home with your parents. By year 3 you will make profit only to realize that youve been undercharging for 3 years. Year 4 you raise prices lose half your customers, but up the quality and get a few more than you lost by July. You turn an nice profit around 40K and think your rolling, but you have the bug and need more money. Year 5 you make 200K and each year after you make 50% more than the year before. The 15th year you'll make about 11 million, but after all the expenses you might take home $10,990,000.000. But by then your tired and you sell everything as a package for a few million. All in all it is entirely possible to make 10 million net in about 15 years.

Mike Fronczak
09-12-2008, 09:16 PM
GO TO COLLEGE, in 10 years you'll be glad you did.

PestPro
09-12-2008, 09:56 PM
You say you are licensed in 7A, but you are cutting yards, are you licensed in 7A. 7B or 3?

Roger
09-12-2008, 10:09 PM
GO TO COLLEGE, in 10 years you'll be glad you did.

What he said...

tradeyouraccounts
09-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Seems like you have done your home work well on estimating the depreciation of your equipment thatís a good note to make. The first year is always the hardest but if you make it past that youíll be sure to prosper.

topsites
09-12-2008, 11:49 PM
millions.....

going over the books that seems about right.

Seems to me one might have to get
down and into some butt kissing.

davis45
09-13-2008, 02:30 AM
You say you are licensed in 7A, but you are cutting yards, are you licensed in 7A. 7B or 3?

I'm licensed in Turf Grass and Right-of-way. Rarely do I ever do any of this work. I do not advertise it, I mainly only got it so if a current customer has a request, I will not lose and account over it.